Start by marking “Old Man and the Sea ” as Want to Read:
Old Man and the Sea

Old Man and the Sea

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  474,982 Ratings  ·  13,797 Reviews
It is the story of an old Cuban fisherman and his supreme ordeal: a relentless, agonizing battle with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream. Using the simple, powerful language of a fable, Hemingway takes the timeless themes of courage in the face of defeat and personal triumph won from loss and transforms them into a magnificent twentieth-century classic.
Published (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Old Man and the Sea, please sign up.

Marilyn There are so many great kids' books! What is wrong with a kid reading kids' books? Save this one for later when he can understand the depth of the…moreThere are so many great kids' books! What is wrong with a kid reading kids' books? Save this one for later when he can understand the depth of the book.

Shiloh by Naylor
Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Lad A Dog by Terhune
Lassie
Rascal (it's about a raccoon) by North

There is a great series about a pig named Freddy who has all sorts of adventures. Walter Brooks wrote his series in the 1950's. IF you can find any of them they are wonderful. Freddy becomes a detective, he writes a newspaper, he goes to school and plays baseball. He travels to Florida and also to the North Pole.
(less)

Matt
Nov 28, 2007 Matt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mermaids
Worst book ever.

Just throw the fucking fish back in. Fuck.
Sara
Apr 22, 2008 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anyone-fiction
Oh, my good lord in heaven. Cut your line, land your boat and go to McDonald's! Just as in the case of The Great Gatsby, I understand the book. Yes, I know it changed the way American writers write. I also understand that it celebrates the ridiculous American idea that you're only a REAL man if you've done something entirely purposeless, but really dangerous, in pursuit of making yourself look like the bull with the biggest sexual equipment. Get over it, already! Go home and clean out the refrig ...more
Stephen
hemingway-1-1 v2

My very first time reading Papa and I absolutely LOVED IT. Sometimes the experience you have with a book can be effected by many things beyond the narrative itself, and I think that is certainly the case here. While I believe I would have loved this story regardless, there is no doubt that the stars aligned themselves perfectly to make this a singularly special read for me.

Let me explain...

Last year, I was in Napa with my wife and two of our best friends celebrating my (oh shit!!) 40th birthday
Matt
Apr 26, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-novels
I read this as a young man and was disappointed. It didn't work for me. I thought it was about a crazy old man gone off the reservation, picking a fight with an innocent fish while ranting about the New York Yankees ("I would like to take the great DiMaggio fishing. They say his father was a fisherman...").

I picked it up again, after the passage of some years, and found it incredibly poignant.

It's a simple story. There's an old man, Santiago, who is a fisherman fallen on hard times. He is cared
Madeline
"There isn't any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The sharks are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is shit. What goes beyond is what you see beyond when you know."

-Ernest Hemingway
Riku Sayuj
The wolves will come...

I started this in high spirits as my updates show: "fifth re-read, how thrilling it is to plumb new depths in old wells of wisdom..."

But, as I read on towards the last few pages, I couldn't shake the feeling that this is Moby Dick set in an alternate universe.

In this alternate universe:

The Giant Leviathan is a noble, unseen fish - steady and without malice.
Captain Ahab is transformed into a gentle, wise old zen master. Santiago - a humble fisherman with no legendary crew t
Will Byrnes
Apr 18, 2016 Will Byrnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE - 1/5/13 - at bottom

It is intimidating to offer a truly critical look at such a classic, so we will ease into it with a few images.

The GOP has offered us a ready-made item to begin this list, and yes, I know that John Stewart already snagged this one and threw it back.
description

I turned up a visual art concept that fits in, for a restaurant based on EH themes:description

Although I did not sit for this photo, the resemblance is indeed strikingdescription

And, of course
description
The Old Man and the Cee Lo.

I suppose am certain there
Jibran
My big fish must be somewhere.

Many years ago when I read The Old Man and the Sea I thought it was going nowhere, that it was too simple and ordinary to be of any consequence. On a second reading, however, my view changed and I ended up loving it. What I mistook for repetition was a literary device for emphasis and the boat, like the story, that I judged to be unmoving in the rolling seas was caught in a whirlpool churning the waters in its depth so that the boat and the old man at the sea were n
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jan 03, 2016 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Denzel Washington from "The Equalizer" (hehe)
3.5 stars but rounding it up because it's my first review for the new year. Happy 2016, Goodreaders!

"No one should be alone in their old age. But it is unavoidable."

And so the old man went to the ocean alone on his skiff to catch some fish but ended up being caught by the big fish instead, a fish so big, it controlled the skiff and took its own course at the sea. The big question is why didn't the old man just let go of the fish? It would have made his life easier. He was wise wasn't he? But
Ahmad  Ebaid
Jun 26, 2016 Ahmad Ebaid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: أدب
"لماذا يستيقظ من تقدمت بهم السن مبكرا !! ألكي يفوزوا بيوم أطول عن الآخرين"

والجملة السابقة من الرواية, تلخص شعور ارنست همنجواي في سنين كهولته .

هناك الكثير من الكلام يدور عن الرواية والرمزية التي بها, والحقيقة أنا لم أحست بأي رمزية فيها أبدا, هي قصة حلوة جدا عشت فيها كل لحظة مع "سانتياجو" وصراعه.

دكتور جابريال وهبة ملخصها مع تحليل نقدي رائع, وأقتبس منه:
"أما الرمز في قصص همنجواي فلا يدخل وعي القاريء كرمز أبدا"

و هذا تقريبا السبب لعدم إحساسي بالرمز, و لما اخذ نوبل للآداب عنها كنموذج للعمل الأدبي
Cecily

Yet each man kills the thing he loves.” Oscar Wilde

Bloodsports

This is not sport. This is real fishing. For survival: his, and those who buy his catch. But it can be bloody.

As a small town omnivore, shopping for sanitised meat and fish - neatly plucked, gutted, washed, and butchered - it's easy for me to forget whence it came. Hemingway plunges me into the raw reality of what I eat, and of those who do the dirty, and sometimes dangerous work to supply it.

More importantly, he pulls beauty from th
Rohisa
A book about a man who goes fishing is not exactly the most appealing thing to our self-entitled, insta-fun, fast-and-furious generation, is it?

But as I start reading it and I went into a Hemingway-shock. Because if that man could do anything, he could write beautifully. Slow? Yes. Gorgeous nonetheless? Yes as well. Early into the book, when I could not have managed to be any more bored, Hemingway comes at me with this:

"He always thought of the sea as La Mar, which is what people call her in
Ian Not His Real Name
The Old Man and the Allegory

This book might just be an allegory of Darwinist Capitalism and the survival of the most aggressive and hungry in the world of corporate enterprise and rivalry.

Hey, What's the Big Idea?

It describes what it feels like to have one big idea or to invent something for which the market is not ready.

You struggle and wrestle with your "big fish" for ages, until in your mind you have caught it and perfected the way to reel it in, nobody is watching when you start the journey
Nandakishore Varma
"You have control over only your karma: never on its fruits. So because of [concern over] the fruits of your karma, never shirk from it."

This is most probably the most quoted, used, misused, praised and maligned verse from the Bhagavad Gita, where Lord Krishna instructs Arjuna on the Karma-yoga. It has been praised as the epitome of virtue to do your duty regardless of the consequences: it has been severely criticised as the upper caste Hindu spiritual drug to force a person to follow his caste
Dan Schwent
May 18, 2015 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
After eighty-five fishless days, Santiago hooks more than he bargained for. Can he battle everything the sea throws at him to land his prize?

In the interest of reading a wider variety of things, I snapped this up like an eighteen-foot marlin bites a baited hook. It was definitely worth a read.

The Old Man and the Sea is the tale of an Old Man. And a Sea. It's man vs. nature at its finest. Hemingway's language is spare but very powerful. I felt every wound and heartbreak along with Santiago and wa
Greg
Aug 17, 2007 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the literate in the broadest sense.
Sad book. Read it, but know it is sad.
This is probably written at about a 4th grade reading level, and the audience is at least that broad.

I'll spare you the christ imagery chit-chat.

Why did Ernest Hemingway cross the road?

To die. In the rain.
Councillor
On the first glance, The Old Man and the Sea is a very simple story about a Cuban fisherman fighting against a giant marlin. On the second glance ... it is still a very simple story. You won't find any complex characters in this story, you won't find even the smallest trace of complexity. One can try to find symbolisms in this story (and will most likely succeed), but as Ernest Hemingway said himself:

ميقات الراجحي
هذا العمل أحببته جدًا – رغم أن الكثير يشعر تجاهه بملل – وسبب حبي له حيث أني ولدت بالقرب من البحر ولم أعرف الكثير عن العالم الآخر أول سنواتي سوى البحر ورائحته، ولهذا أعرف جيدًا ماذا يعني تجمّع هذه الثلاثية (صياد / سمكة / وقت) في البدء يعوّل الأول على الثاني وثانيًا يستنفد الثاني، السمكة كل مالديه من الثالث، الوقت. لكن يأتي دون حسبان لكل ماسبق عامل الخبرة الذي يحتاج أن يعي حجم الصبر وأجد في عملية الصيد ثم تلاقي وليس تشابه بين الوقت والخبر. هذا مالعب عليه (همنجواي) في هذه الرواية.

تمثل الرواية حالة
Florencia

Feb 04, 16
* Also on my blog.
Jessica
May 19, 2008 Jessica marked it as aborted-efforts  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dicklits
I was very surprised when I finally tried to read this, and discovered that it bored the living crap out of me. I just couldn't get into it, I don't know why, maybe it was just my mood or something....? I mean, I do like Hemingway. I love the sea, and baseball. I am relatively fond of both old men and little boys (not like that, you fool).... and this is supposed to be really terrific and all, but I just.... I mean, I could've finished it of course, it's short, and it wouldn't have been like tor ...more
Sanjay Gautam
Apr 10, 2016 Sanjay Gautam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is terribly important to recognize that stupendous effort does not always result in substantial gain.
Cierra
May 27, 2008 Cierra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge Hemingway fan, but I do have to say that this book is one of my favorites and the best that Hemingway wrote. What an incredible tale of human fortitude and self-validation. I love this story so much. I forget I am reading each time: the words are constructed in such a way that I visualize the whole story as though I were an invisible spectator. I love the descriptions of the old man's hands, and the whole story is told with unbelievable detail. We can all identify with the epic st ...more
Jason
Hi!!!!!

I’m drunk again.

So, this book. Ostensibly about a geriatric dude who goes fishing, The Old Man and the Sea covers way more bases than that. One could say it is a book whose themes include “the solitude of man” or, um… “one being pitted against the world.” Or maybe even a “powerlessness against nature” or whatever. And all of these things may be true, but I think I would have enjoyed this touching novella even if it didn’t capture those thematic bases. Of course, I only say that because I
mai ahmd
Sep 04, 2012 mai ahmd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: روايات

أي عاشق للأدب الكلاسيكي لابد وأن يقرأ هذه الرواية .. كما قال ماركيز لم يكن هذا الصراع صراع قوة ولكنه كان صراع حكمة وذكاء
شيخ طاعن في السن يصارع سمكة من الحجم الهائل هذا هو فحوى الرواية التي لا يوجد قارىء إلا ويعرف قصتها وإن كان لم يطلع عليها وذلك بسبب شهرتها وكثرة الأفلام التي قدمت عنها واستوحيت منها إن التحدي الذي قام به الشيخ لم يكن سوى تحدي للنفس التي طعنت في السن لذلك على الرغم من اقتراب الهزيمة في كثير من الأحيان إلا هاجس الإنتصار كان ملحا كشوكة في اليد
إنه كان كمن يقول لنفسه مازلت حيا وناف
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

Reading this book was my personal penance for reading Obsidian last night. If I read something particularly silly and brainless, I make a conscious effort to balance it out with a classic or something that makes me actually use my brain cells.

At first Hemingway's typical simple, spare prose and his testosterone-fueled values were getting on my nerves. Digression here: one of the funnier things I've read was a piece on McSweeney's titled "Toto's 'Africa' by Ernest Hemingway". It reads in part:
His
Fahad
Apr 26, 2016 Fahad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
العجوز والبحر

يترجم عنوان رواية هيمنغواي الشهيرة هذه عادة ً بالشيخ والبحر، ولكني أفضل هذه الترجمة (العجوز والبحر)، فكلمة الشيخ محملة بالوقار، بالحكمة، فالشيخ لا يفتش عن ذاته، لقد وصل إليها وحازها منذ وقت بعيد، بينما كلمة العجوز تحمل دلالات أخرى، فالعجوز هو الرجل الذي وصل إلى مرحلة العجز البدني، بدايات تهدم القوى، ومن ورائها البصيرة والحكمة، إنه نموذج الإنسان الذي يعيش صراعه الأخير، صراعه مع جسده الذي يفنى، ذاكرته التي تضمحل، وهو صراع للأسف غير بطولي، ليس في نظر الناس على الأقل.

كتب أرنست هيمنغوا
Lyn
Nov 14, 2015 Lyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A masterpiece.

Like a fable, this has become a part of our cultural consciousness. Santiago's simple heroism is a benchmark for all who persevere and endure.

Jason Koivu
Aug 18, 2014 Jason Koivu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Back in the old VHS days I made a video movie based on this book and it was AMAZING!...or at least I thought it was. While visiting home last week, I dug it up and gave it a watching after not having seen it in about 10 or 15 years...

The video begins with a little lego fisherman in a boat amidst a placid, construction paper sea. A blazing yellow sun is glued to the back of the shoebox stage. In the foreground, blue waves calmly rise and fall. My undulating manipulation of the sheet of static wav
Ali AlShewail
إلتهمتها فى أقل من ساعتين .

هى رواية البحر و أسماكه ,
هى رواية الصيد و مشاقه ,
هى رواية الصبر ,
هى رواية العجوز و الولد ,
هى رواية الحكمة فى مواجهة القوة ,
هى رواية العزيمة الصلبة كصخور الجبال ,
هى رواية الحظ العاثر ,

صفحات قليلة لكن بها من الحكمة و الإصرار و العزيمة ما يكفيك دهور , و بها من التحليل المنطقي البسيط ما يفسر لك أغلب مواقفك فى الحياة , لا تُبحر بعيدا أبعد من طاقتك فتندم , و رحم الله إمرء عرف قدر نفسه , لكن إذا أبحرت فتحمّل و تحلّى بالإصرار اللازم لمواجهة قرارك .

حتى و إن رجعت بخفي حنين , ي
Kirstine
Nov 14, 2015 Kirstine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, own, reviewed, 1-men
So... Hemingway won the Pulitzer Prize for a book about an old man in a boat chasing a fish. Impressive.

I tried to analyze it while reading it, but I found it way too exhausting, because it's so simple, and to crack open simplicity to unearth something complex is just... hard work.
And to be honest I'm not convinced Hemingway didn't just write a book about a man and a boat and a fish. Which is enough, amazingly.

The story made me incredibly sad and I felt immediately sorry for the old man. I'm
  • The Store
  • The Town
  • Journey in the Dark
  • The Reivers: A Reminiscence
  • Lamb in His Bosom
  • Dragon's Teeth I (World's End)
  • Arrowsmith
  • Honey in the Horn
  • The Late George Apley
  • Laughing Boy: A Navajo Love Story
  • The Arabian Nights
  • The Optimist's Daughter
Ernest Miller Hemingway was an American author and journalist. His economical and understated style had a strong influence on 20th-century fiction, while his life of adventure and his public image influenced later generations. Hemingway produced most of his work between the mid-1920s and the mid-1950s, and won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954. He published seven novels, six short story collec ...more
More about Ernest Hemingway...

“Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.” 2227 likes
“But man is not made for defeat," he said. "A man can be destroyed but not defeated.” 1344 likes