Traitor's Son (Raven Duet, #2)

Traitor's Son (Raven Duet #2)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In Trickster's Girl, when Kesla's journey comes to an end, she pass the pouch and the quest on to someone else. She picks Jason, a native boy she thinks will be able to finish the job. But in fact, a family feud has cut Jason off from his traditional roots, and he is even more doubtful and resistant than Kesla was. But Raven, now a beautiful girl, is quite persuasive and m...more
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 256 pages
Published March 20th 2012 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Kat Heckenbach
I'm really sad to have to write this review. I ADORED Hilari Bell's Goblin Wood series. As in it was one of the best fantasy series I've ever read. So, no matter what I have to say about this book, don't write off this author--go read the Goblin Wood series!

But this...

Jase was a hormone-driven, car-obsessed flat character. The book slogged, with so much explaining about things that could have been summed up really quickly and made room for actual plot. I got SO tired of Jase talking about his ca...more
Jess
Jun 18, 2012 Jess marked it as didnt-finish
A little creeped out by the fact that the hot guy is now apparently a cute girl. Just... wrong.
Melissa
When the girl at the Canadian border tosses Jase the medicine pouch he suspects she is giving him drugs, but little does Jase know that the little pouch he caught while trying to evade gunfire at the border would change is life forever.

When I read Trickster’s Girl last year I really enjoyed the story, but had my doubts when I heard the sequel would feature a new main character. Kelsa was a fun character, I liked her and had a hard time imagining the story without her. Jase surprised me though....more
Vicki (The Wolf's Den)
Amazon ~ Powell's ~ Jan's Paperbacks

Firstly, I think I need to present a little background on my experience. I typically like to re-read series before tackling the latest release—it serves as a refresher and helps me zone-in before I start reading the new one. So before picking up Traitor's Son, I revisited and reconnected with Kelsa and Raven in Trickster's Girl . Unfortunately, I think that was a mistake.

In Traitor's Son, Kelsa is no longer the focus; now it's all Jase. And I didn't really con...more
Liviania
TRAITOR'S SON is more satisfying than its predecessor TRICKSTER'S GIRL. A great deal of that has to do with the ending. TRICKSTER'S GIRL ended abruptly in order to set up the change of narrator in TRAITOR'S SON. But the second book is the end of the duology so both the character arc and the quest arc come to a close. (Sadly, we learn nothing about Kelsa aside from the fact that she gets arrested.)

One problem I had with the first book is directly addressed. I thought it was strange that Kelsa's a...more
Heather
Review of an advance copy:

This is the second half of a duet, but those who pick up Traitor's Son without reading Trickster's Girl won't be confused. They'll definitely want to go back and find out what happened in the prior book, but my guess is that many won't want to put Jase's story down long enough to get the background. Best case scenario: read them in order; second best: finish Jase's story, then read Kelsa's - at which point you may want to read Jase's again. :)

At the end of the first boo...more
Karla Nellenbach
The second book in the Raven Duet brings a bit more than the first. There are still many questions that the reader desperately wants answered, only to be disappointed. I think that's the point of this duo. In the first, Kelsa blindly follows Raven on this dangerous journey to heal the ley line going from Utah up into Alaska. She gets as far as the Canadian/Alaska border before she hands off the pouch to Jase, a native boy she thinks might get the job done.

The first hundred pages or so of TRAITOR...more
Lexie
In Trickster's Girl one of my main problems with the book was Raven and Kesla. Looking back I would almost venture to say that Kesla was using the 'save the world' hoopla to escape the reality of her father's death and possibly also with a minor death wish of her own. Jason--or Jase as he mostly goes by--is a different story altogether.

Disaffected, indifferent and mostly confused about his place in the world I resonated moreso with Jase then I ever did with Kesla. His awkward attempts to flirt w...more
Kathy Martin
In this second, and apparently final, book of the Raven Duet the medicine bag and the task of healing the damaged ley line has been passed to Jason Mintok. Jase is much more interested in his Tesla - the vintage car that is his pride and joy - than he is in nature of any kind. When Raven comes to him in the guise of a hot teenage girl, he is very disbelieving. Part of his disbelief comes from a court case that has separated him from his Native roots and caused a major rift between his lawyer fat...more
Darcy
It is interesting where the title of this book comes from. You are half way through the book before you really get why it is the perfect title and why it is so perfect for it.

Jase seems to walk that line between a people who are loosing their culture and struggling to keep it. It doesn't help that his dad seems to be at the head of the line to walk away from that culture which has a big effect on Jase, leaving both sides to hate him and what he seems to stand for.

With this struggle, Raven shocks...more
Theophilus (Theo)
Excellent. Even though this story is a duet, I really wanted it to continue. Maybe? The energy is flowing through the leys again, but the world is not completely healed yet. I could relate to Jas better than I could Kelsa. Maybe it's a gender thing. This second part reminded me of the Sax Roehmer's Fu Manchu series and the Tony Hillerman novels I love. Otter woman is back, as mean as ever and she brings some muscle with her this time. Supernatural football players? Cool. Bear gets involved and t...more
Jennavier
I'm still not sure how I feel about switching main characters, but Traitor's Son works for me. The world that Jase inhabits is interesting and had more conflict then Kelsa's did. His identity as a native american versus a white made me really think about what it means to be caught between cultures. I loved how he related to the magic used against him, something Kelsa really couldn't do. I feel like things turned out well and I'm satisfied. (view spoiler)...more
Lilly Keitges
Kathy
Jason is severed from his roots by a feud between his father and his grandfather. But Raven, the trickster, this time appearing as a beautiful teenage girl, has no choice but to convince him to continue Kelsa's quest to restore the Ley lines, and give Earth the chance to be reborn.

I was not as fond of either of these books as I am of ALL Hilari Bell's other books, but, the character's were interesting, and there was enough action, that they were both pretty good reads.
Esmeralda
AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At the end of the first book, when Kelsa throws the medicine bag across the Alaska-Canada border and into the hands of a strange boy, it turns out that her quest also becomes his. Now, Jason is the one who must heal the land, and with his native roots, he seems to be the perfect choice. …Or is he? Full review: http://writingya.blogspot.com/2012/12...
Renee
This is a neat series because the two books are so different but both very good. I like to read mythology-meets-reality books, and these were very interesting because they are Native American mythology instead of Western mythology, and, I think, quite well done.
Jenn
3.5 - I read it for an HB review, but I feel like I might've gotten around to this one on my own, and i DO plan to go read the preceding book this summer. An interesting mix of slightly futuristic life, Alaskan Native mythos, and the TRICKSTER (my weakness).
Britta
As a second in a pair of books it was done well, having the mix of a futuristic world mixed with Native beliefs. Yes read it after the first one 'Trickster's Girl' and keep an open and wondering mind. Things aren't always as they may seem. :)
Erin
Ultimately much more satisfying than Trickster's Girl, Traitor's Son features Jase, a refreshingly and fantastically relatable protagonist and an exciting, well-paced story.

**Traitor's Son, rated 14+, rated 4/5 stars.
Ellen
Don't know why, but I could never get into this series. I'm usually a huge fan of Hilari Bell's work, and recommend it all the time @ my library, but this one seemed a bit like fantasy by the numbers.
Emily
A good conclusion to the duet. Jason is chosen by Kesla to continue Raven's quest to heal the lays. But getting his cooperation is a bit tricky. And his own family baggage adds all kinds of complications.
Megan Albrechtsen
I liked this book! It was pretty good actually although I liked the first book with Kelsa in it better, just because of all of the adventure in it. This 2nd book was still pretty good!
Haley
Not as good as the 1st book. The 1st one I loved because all of the adventure Kelsa had traveling. This one's still pretty good though.
Keather Hansen
Young adult book. Creative storyline. Sequel to Trickster's girl. Pretty interesting.
Celine Chen
Celine Chen marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Haaley Lawley
Haaley Lawley marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
  • The Dark Zone (Galahad, #4)
  • The Initiate (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Shadow Walkers
  • Courtship and Curses (Leland Sisters, #3)
  • Kill Switch
  • The Wild Queen: The Days and Nights of Mary Queen of Scots (Young Royals, #7)
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants #1)
  • Two Moon Princess (Two Moon Princess, #1)
  • The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll & Mademoiselle Odile
  • Prototype
  • Games Wizards Play (Young Wizards #10)
  • Lucky Fools
  • Angela and the Baby Jesus
  • Losers in Space
  • Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field
  • Dreamland Social Club
  • The White Oak (Imperfect Darkness, #1)
  • Lost Girls
As far as writing is concerned, I call myself the poster child for persistence. Songs of Power, the first novel I sold, was the 5th novel I'd written. When it sold I was working on novel #13. The next to sell, Navohar, was #12, and the next, A Matter of Profit, was #9. The Goblin Wood was #6, and the first Sorahb book, Flame (later renamed Farsala: Fall of a Kingdom), will be #15. You get the pict...more
More about Hilari Bell...
Fall of a Kingdom (The Farsala Trilogy, #1) Forging the Sword (The Farsala Trilogy, #3) Rise of a Hero (The Farsala Trilogy, #2) The Goblin Wood (Goblin Wood, #1) The Last Knight (Knight and Rogue, #1)