Start by marking “Traitor's Son (Raven Duet, #2)” as Want to Read:
Traitor's Son (Raven Duet, #2)

Traitor's Son (Raven Duet #2)

In Trickster's Girl, when Kesla's journey comes to an end, she pass the pouch and the quest on to someone else. She picks Jason, a native boy she thinks will be able to finish the job. But in fact, a family feud has cut Jason off from his traditional roots, and he is even more doubtful and resistant than Kesla was. But Raven, now a beautiful girl, is quite persuasive and m ...more
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 256 pages
Published March 20th 2012 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Traitor's Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traitor's Son

Stephanie
May 08, 2016 Stephanie added it
Shelves: ya-mg
It took us almost three years BUT WE DID IT
Jasmine
What a baffling, delightful book. WHAT IS PLOT? HOW TO SCHEME? WHAT IS HAPPENING EVER IDK BUT I"M A FAN.

Goose Woman was a fantastic moment in our lives.
Kat Heckenbach
Dec 26, 2012 Kat Heckenbach rated it it was ok
I'm really sad to have to write this review. I ADORED Hilari Bell's Goblin Wood series. As in it was one of the best fantasy series I've ever read. So, no matter what I have to say about this book, don't write off this author--go read the Goblin Wood series!

But this...

Jase was a hormone-driven, car-obsessed flat character. The book slogged, with so much explaining about things that could have been summed up really quickly and made room for actual plot. I got SO tired of Jase talking about his ca
Jess
Jun 18, 2012 Jess marked it as didnt-finish
A little creeped out by the fact that the hot guy is now apparently a cute girl. Just... wrong.
Vicki (The Wolf's Den)
Amazon ~ Powell's ~ Jan's Paperbacks

Firstly, I think I need to present a little background on my experience. I typically like to re-read series before tackling the latest release—it serves as a refresher and helps me zone-in before I start reading the new one. So before picking up Traitor's Son, I revisited and reconnected with Kelsa and Raven in Trickster's Girl . Unfortunately, I think that was a mistake.

In Traitor's Son, Kelsa is no longer the focus; now it's all Jase. And I didn't really co
Heather
Review of an advance copy:

This is the second half of a duet, but those who pick up Traitor's Son without reading Trickster's Girl won't be confused. They'll definitely want to go back and find out what happened in the prior book, but my guess is that many won't want to put Jase's story down long enough to get the background. Best case scenario: read them in order; second best: finish Jase's story, then read Kelsa's - at which point you may want to read Jase's again. :)

At the end of the first boo
Lexie
Mar 31, 2012 Lexie rated it really liked it
In Trickster's Girl one of my main problems with the book was Raven and Kesla. Looking back I would almost venture to say that Kesla was using the 'save the world' hoopla to escape the reality of her father's death and possibly also with a minor death wish of her own. Jason--or Jase as he mostly goes by--is a different story altogether.

Disaffected, indifferent and mostly confused about his place in the world I resonated moreso with Jase then I ever did with Kesla. His awkward attempts to flirt w
Karla Nellenbach
Mar 07, 2012 Karla Nellenbach rated it liked it
The second book in the Raven Duet brings a bit more than the first. There are still many questions that the reader desperately wants answered, only to be disappointed. I think that's the point of this duo. In the first, Kelsa blindly follows Raven on this dangerous journey to heal the ley line going from Utah up into Alaska. She gets as far as the Canadian/Alaska border before she hands off the pouch to Jase, a native boy she thinks might get the job done.

The first hundred pages or so of TRAITOR
Aurora Dimitre
Dec 03, 2015 Aurora Dimitre rated it really liked it
This one... wasn't quite as good as the first.

I do know why. Kelsa was a much more sympathetic protagonist, and while it did take her a while to accept what was going on, it did not take her half the book. As well as that, her grief didn't take up as much space as Jase talking about his car did in this book, which is a little bit funny, if you think about it, but still. This boy and his car.

As well as that, I'm not a huge fan of the choice to make (view spoiler)
Liviania
Jun 27, 2012 Liviania rated it really liked it
TRAITOR'S SON is more satisfying than its predecessor TRICKSTER'S GIRL. A great deal of that has to do with the ending. TRICKSTER'S GIRL ended abruptly in order to set up the change of narrator in TRAITOR'S SON. But the second book is the end of the duology so both the character arc and the quest arc come to a close. (Sadly, we learn nothing about Kelsa aside from the fact that she gets arrested.)

One problem I had with the first book is directly addressed. I thought it was strange that Kelsa's a
TheVolleyballGirl
I thought it was very good but I liked the first one better.
Melissa
When the girl at the Canadian border tosses Jase the medicine pouch he suspects she is giving him drugs, but little does Jase know that the little pouch he caught while trying to evade gunfire at the border would change is life forever.

When I read Trickster’s Girl last year I really enjoyed the story, but had my doubts when I heard the sequel would feature a new main character. Kelsa was a fun character, I liked her and had a hard time imagining the story without her. Jase surprised me though.
Kathy Martin
Mar 04, 2012 Kathy Martin rated it it was amazing
In this second, and apparently final, book of the Raven Duet the medicine bag and the task of healing the damaged ley line has been passed to Jason Mintok. Jase is much more interested in his Tesla - the vintage car that is his pride and joy - than he is in nature of any kind. When Raven comes to him in the guise of a hot teenage girl, he is very disbelieving. Part of his disbelief comes from a court case that has separated him from his Native roots and caused a major rift between his lawyer ...more
Merrilyn Tucker
Jul 12, 2015 Merrilyn Tucker rated it liked it
Set in the near future, this second book in The Raven Duet (sci-fi/fantasy) has Kelsa handing off a medicine bag of life-saving dust to Jason. His mission, for which he was chosen unbeknownst to him, involves his using the dust to heal the magical leys that can protect earth from the deadly pollutants and disastrous course that mankind has spread and set into motion. Jason is 3/16 Alaskan native, but has been cut off from all communication from his traditionalist grandfather and grandmother. ...more
Darcy
Apr 26, 2012 Darcy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, uf, futuristic, ya, shifters, magic
It is interesting where the title of this book comes from. You are half way through the book before you really get why it is the perfect title and why it is so perfect for it.

Jase seems to walk that line between a people who are loosing their culture and struggling to keep it. It doesn't help that his dad seems to be at the head of the line to walk away from that culture which has a big effect on Jase, leaving both sides to hate him and what he seems to stand for.

With this struggle, Raven shocks
Tini
Mar 04, 2016 Tini rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-ratings
This story is less of a roadtrip book than Kelsa's story was. It was glossed over far more. This made it pleasant to read, though I didn't really have problems with Kelsa's story either. But Jase is, to me, a far less likable character than Kelsa was. And Raven was a little too changed for me to like. Somehow, it felt like his attitude completely changed. Less joking around, less tricks, and far more focussed on 'let's manipulate/flirt with Jase, because I'm now a girl, therefore I don't need my ...more
Theophilus (Theo)
May 30, 2012 Theophilus (Theo) rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Even though this story is a duet, I really wanted it to continue. Maybe? The energy is flowing through the leys again, but the world is not completely healed yet. I could relate to Jas better than I could Kelsa. Maybe it's a gender thing. This second part reminded me of the Sax Roehmer's Fu Manchu series and the Tony Hillerman novels I love. Otter woman is back, as mean as ever and she brings some muscle with her this time. Supernatural football players? Cool. Bear gets involved and ...more
Jennavier
Feb 22, 2013 Jennavier rated it really liked it
I'm still not sure how I feel about switching main characters, but Traitor's Son works for me. The world that Jase inhabits is interesting and had more conflict then Kelsa's did. His identity as a native american versus a white made me really think about what it means to be caught between cultures. I loved how he related to the magic used against him, something Kelsa really couldn't do. I feel like things turned out well and I'm satisfied. (view spoiler) ...more
Lilly Keitges
Mar 23, 2015 Lilly Keitges rated it it was amazing
Sarah Morenon
Mar 29, 2015 Sarah Morenon rated it it was amazing
I can't imagine why these two books hadn't made it into my consciousness before this. I loved these two books, and read both this weekend. Beautiful mix of sic fi, Native American mythology, ecology issues and optimism. The world needs some more of that, definitely. The characters are very relatable, the scenery astonishing, and the storyline exciting. As usual, very well written. I love Hilari Bell.
Kathy
Jul 28, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
Jason is severed from his roots by a feud between his father and his grandfather. But Raven, the trickster, this time appearing as a beautiful teenage girl, has no choice but to convince him to continue Kelsa's quest to restore the Ley lines, and give Earth the chance to be reborn.

I was not as fond of either of these books as I am of ALL Hilari Bell's other books, but, the character's were interesting, and there was enough action, that they were both pretty good reads.
Katie
May 11, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This book was rather good, even if it did totally weird me out that Raven was a girl in this book (I mean, it made sense, but it was *really* hard to wrap my mind around every time I read "she"). Anyway, at first I was disappointed that Kelsa wasn't in this book at all, but then it turned out that the new character, Jase, was pretty interesting too after a while, so I guess I'm fine with it. Interesting concept for a series, I enjoyed it.
Dec 25, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
At the end of the first book, when Kelsa throws the medicine bag across the Alaska-Canada border and into the hands of a strange boy, it turns out that her quest also becomes his. Now, Jason is the one who must heal the land, and with his native roots, he seems to be the perfect choice. …Or is he? Full review: http://writingya.blogspot.com/2012/12...
Emily
Mar 03, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
A good conclusion to the duet. Jason is chosen by Kesla to continue Raven's quest to heal the lays. But getting his cooperation is a bit tricky. And his own family baggage adds all kinds of complications.
Jenn
May 05, 2012 Jenn rated it liked it
3.5 - I read it for an HB review, but I feel like I might've gotten around to this one on my own, and i DO plan to go read the preceding book this summer. An interesting mix of slightly futuristic life, Alaskan Native mythos, and the TRICKSTER (my weakness).
Britta
Oct 30, 2012 Britta rated it really liked it
As a second in a pair of books it was done well, having the mix of a futuristic world mixed with Native beliefs. Yes read it after the first one 'Trickster's Girl' and keep an open and wondering mind. Things aren't always as they may seem. :)
Jessica
Jan 24, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
Interesting. I like the juxtaposition of both a very magical, traditional tribe-based society and a very technologically advanced world. The environmental message was important, but not too heavy handed.
Ellen
May 07, 2012 Ellen rated it did not like it
Don't know why, but I could never get into this series. I'm usually a huge fan of Hilari Bell's work, and recommend it all the time @ my library, but this one seemed a bit like fantasy by the numbers.
Renee
Oct 15, 2012 Renee rated it really liked it
This is a neat series because the two books are so different but both very good. I like to read mythology-meets-reality books, and these were very interesting because they are Native American mythology instead of Western mythology, and, I think, quite well done.
Erin
Oct 25, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Ultimately much more satisfying than Trickster's Girl, Traitor's Son features Jase, a refreshingly and fantastically relatable protagonist and an exciting, well-paced story.

**Traitor's Son, rated 14+, rated 4/5 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Yu+Me: dream Volume 1
  • Ushers, Inc.
  • The Initiate (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #0.5) (The Song of Eloh Saga, #1)
  • The Fourth Wish (The Art of Wishing, #2)
  • The White Oak
  • The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll & Mademoiselle Odile
  • Riding Out the Storm
  • Adversary (Ganzfield, #2)
  • The Chaos Code
  • Shadow Walkers
  • The Emerald Tablet (The Forgotten Worlds, #1)
  • The Siren's Cry (The Otherworldlies #2)
  • Namesake, Volume 1
  • Games Wizards Play (Young Wizards, #10)
  • Water Shaper
  • The Secret-keeper
  • Two Moon Princess (Two Moon Princess, #1)
  • Kill Switch
As far as writing is concerned, I call myself the poster child for persistence. Songs of Power, the first novel I sold, was the 5th novel I'd written. When it sold I was working on novel #13. The next to sell, Navohar, was #12, and the next, A Matter of Profit, was #9. The Goblin Wood was #6, and the first Sorahb book, Flame (later renamed Farsala: Fall of a Kingdom), will be #15. You get the ...more
More about Hilari Bell...

Raven Duet (2 books)
  • Trickster's Girl (Raven Duet, #1)