Start by marking “The Cuckoo Clock of Doom (Goosebumps, #28)” as Want to Read:
The Cuckoo Clock of Doom (Goosebumps, #28)

The Cuckoo Clock of Doom (Goosebumps #28)

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,368 Ratings  ·  152 Reviews
Last page missing, small stain on back cover's bottom edge
Published September 1st 2003 by Scholastic (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Cuckoo Clock of Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cuckoo Clock of Doom

Night of the Living Dummy by R.L. StineSay Cheese and Die! by R.L. StineWelcome to Dead House by R.L. StineOne Day at Horrorland by R.L. StineThe Haunted Mask by R.L. Stine
The Best of Goosebumps
22nd out of 66 books — 218 voters
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessThe Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan Poe1984 by George OrwellA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Running like Clockwork
58th out of 150 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Now you know what I had to live with.

Now you know why I did the terrible thing that I did.

Anyone in my place would have done the same.

Wow, I really liked this book!

Michael is twelve and his seven-year-old sister Tara is demon spawn. She makes his life miserable, deliberately humiliating him, physically hurting him, lying to their parents about him, and getting him beaten up by other kids. I mean, she is really evil. She even tortures the family cat.

Michael can never tell anyone what is going on
Danny
Dec 01, 2010 Danny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comfort-books
Ahhh, the Goosebump days. I would borrow so many of these from the library they seriously considered extending my limit of books checked out at one time. R.L. Stine you were a reprieve from a harsh and dreary childhood in which my mind wandered far away from the troubles of the day. I stole books into my bed and read far into the night by the faintest of lights. I might have better eyesight were it not for you; however, I regret not one page or line.
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Αυτή ήταν μια ιστορία που με είχε προβληματίσιε ιδιαίτερα όταν την είχα πρωτοδιαβάσει. Είχε κάποια βασικά, ουσιαστικά στοιχεία τα οποία μου άρεσαν, αλλά υπήρχαν και ορισμένα άλλα που δεν είχαν καταφέρει να με αγγίξουν. Με την επανάληψη κατέληξα στο συμπέρασμα πως ίσως να φταίει το ότι η δομή της είναι λιγάκι πιο ενήλικη και πιο περίπλοκη απ' ότι μας έχει συνηθίσει ο Stine. Και κάπως έτσι, αναλογιζόμενη όλα αυτά και βάζοντάς τα στο ζύγι, κατέληξα στο ότι μου άρεσε αρκετά, κι ας μην είναι από τα π ...more
Shannon
Nov 21, 2007 Shannon rated it did not like it
You are all rating these Goosebumps books too generously. I know it has nostalgic memories for you, or something. But I remember reading them and being disappointed and annoyed. Nothing scary ever happened. And they were written shit-ily.
Tortla
Jun 22, 2007 Tortla rated it did not like it
R.L. Stine was overrated. He remains that way.
Colton
Sep 21, 2015 Colton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The thing about reading these books as an adult is enjoying them for what they are: pure nostalgia. While devoid of flashy monsters or evil dummies, this book manages some fair suspense with a backwards time traveling concept. The prose is a notch below average - nothing terribly bad, but nothing terribly brilliant either. There were some good moments; the baby scenes even made me chuckle a bit to myself. The ending was also extremely satisfying and not the usual ridiculous twist the series is k ...more
Skittles
Aug 09, 2010 Skittles rated it it was amazing
Shin
Jun 07, 2015 Shin rated it really liked it
Man i think i read this book in the wrong time. Like this story happened to me like i feel like reading the book again. This book was abt a boy who made the biggest mistake of his 'lives'. His father had bought an antique clock and place it in their livin room. His father gave specific warnings abt not touching the clock cuz the owner said it was cursed by the one who created the clock but Michael should've listened to his dad. When he was playin around wid the clock by switchin the heads backwa ...more
Jeff Cape
Jul 27, 2013 Jeff Cape rated it really liked it
Shelves: late-90s
I've read a lot of books from the Goosebumps series when I was younger, but The Cuckoo Clock of Doom is my favorite one of all. Was even a fan club member of this RL Stine group in Canada c/o my cousins :)
Dylan
Oct 17, 2015 Dylan rated it really liked it
Yassss
Josiah
Oct 22, 2011 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I think of the original Goosebumps series, The Cuckoo Clock of Doom is always one of the first books to come to mind. Arriving in numerical sequence right after A Night in Terror Tower meant following a very tough act, but this book presents a game challenge to the task, offering some very smart twists and turns of the plot before the final exclamation point that is the surprise ending. R.L. Stine was arguably at his best as a writer during this particular stretch of the Goosebumps series, ...more
Kelsi Martin
Aug 24, 2014 Kelsi Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story I found it significantly different from the other goosebump books , mostly because of the morbid ending. I found it easy to sympethise with the main character michael because of the actions of his little sister though in the end when he finds that tara was never born and the attitude he takes when given that information is a bit disterbing. I have always found that the best books are the ones that make you feel for the character whether love or hate, for examples the charact ...more
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
A Goosebumps children book that has the theme of a terrible sister - are you surprised? It's a common element in almost all these books I've read this year. Tara the terrible may be the worst - what an awful human being, she takes sibling brattness too far. The end has a nice twist about her at least. It's not as good as the others I've been reading, a little frustrating because he has to keep repeating a few terrible days, groundhog style. Stine dug into time travel with the cuckoo clock - how ...more
D.K. Brantley
Mar 15, 2016 D.K. Brantley rated it really liked it
Didn't know what to expect and wound up getting the unexpected!
Ryan aka Madman Reads
Jun 08, 2016 Ryan aka Madman Reads rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goosebumps
Another one of my favorites!
Connie
Jan 06, 2016 Connie rated it really liked it
Source: I own this book.
Cost: Free gift

Title: The Cuckoo Clock of Doom
Series: Goosebumps #29
Author: RL Stine
Overall Rating: 4 stars

This book has a lot of sentimental value to me, my older brother found me reading a Goosebumps book one night when I was supposed to be sleeping and rather than shout at me to tell me to go to bed, he went to his room and gave me a copy of this book. He told me I had better use for it now than he did.

So yeah, just a little story for you there.

This book i
Maggie Gordon
The Cuckoo Clock of Doom has a really cool concept for a horror story, but absolutely abysmal characters. A common fault in the Goosebumps series is that the bad characters are simply intolerable. Sure, this is a series for kids and your villains are probably going to be a bit more transparent than a more nuanced, adult depiction (though this doesn't have to be the case!), but Goosebumps makes little sociopaths who no one but the beleaguered main character notices. In this story, Michael is cons ...more
Kibria Gulam
Sep 13, 2014 Kibria Gulam rated it it was amazing
Kenneth Marquez
Oct 28, 2015 Kenneth Marquez rated it it was amazing
I would reccomend this book to people who like goosebumps.
Mason Darden
Jun 01, 2015 Mason Darden rated it really liked it

The Cuckoo Clock of Doom by R.L. Stine is a great suspenseful children novel, That I wanted to have a fun review for my last goodreads review. For my final book review for the 8th grader.

The characters of this book are Micheal,Tara (his sister),mona,and his mom and dad. The first half of this book tell how bad Tara treat him and makes you generally hates her but when his dad gets a cuckoo clock that said its magic. Tara scares Mike but hiding in it. But his dad gets mad and tells her to don'
Sindy
Apr 10, 2013 Sindy rated it it was amazing
R.L. Stine made an amazing series for young kids, i wounder if he wrote any for adults
Audrey
Oct 19, 2012 Audrey rated it really liked it
Hahahahahahahaha
Jay
Jun 04, 2015 Jay rated it liked it
It's pretty weird that the first two time travel books in Goosebumps come back to back. You'd think R.L. Stine would spread his ideas out a bit. But I really like time travel stories and "The Cuckoo Clock of Doom" introduces a bunch of interesting plot opportunities. In the story, Michael is terrorized by his sister Tara. She always gets him in trouble and ruins his birthday. Then one day his dad buys an antique cuckoo clock. Turns out, it allows the user to go back in time.

Unfortunately, Michae
Pedro Benoliel
Sticks out as one of the few books that completely and utterly failed at its purpose. I would have been 12 at the most when I read it - at the height of 'Goosebumps' popularity - and I distinctly remember giggling uncontrollably as the protagonist related his experiences going backwards in time. For something that was meant to be scary, this sure was hilarious - but that might have been why it remained one of the few GB titles I revisited time and again. Unintentional comedy at its finest.
David Santos
Oct 16, 2011 David Santos rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goosebumps

Oh, I just love Tara. I'd hate her for my sister, but shes a book star, annoying, but entertaining. Anyways. I'm guessing RL wrote this book when he was in a better mood, because this one was better than the previous three in the series. As an author I can say that creativity comes out when you are in a good mood. The last three looked like RL was going through a divorce or something, just wasn't much effort put into them. This one was much different and much better.
Joshua
Mar 02, 2015 Joshua added it
The Cuckoo Clock Of Doom was a very interesting book.Going back in time is awesome,but for Michael,it was a problem.I liked how it told every day was a different day or different year for Michael and how he went threw it all.Though at first the book was a tiny bit boring I liked the end how he was only one year old and how he made every thing back to normal.It puts every bit of information which almost feels like you are there.I would definetly reccomend this book
Tszchun
Oct 28, 2014 Tszchun rated it it was amazing
It a very good book. Michael has a little sister which never gets in trouble no matter what she does. Then his father bring home a Cuckoo Clock from the antique store and told them all not to touch it. Then Michael wanted to get her sister in trouble so Michael turned one of the handle then went to bed. The next day he wakes up he is a lot younger.
Daicy Ann Mei
One of my first reads (together with the The Berenstain Bears' Home Sweet Tree) series. I love R.L. Stine books but this one is my favorite among all the Goosebumps book series (seconded by The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb). The story are not so scary like how the cover looks. :) Each book has a moral lesson (and very informative as well).
A wholesome read for all ages! :DR.L. Stine
Alexandra
Jul 30, 2016 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SUCH a satisfying ending. my god. I don't remember liking this one so much as a kid but I sure as hell can appreciate it now.

and what an interesting story, for a goosebumps book. definitely a different kind of subject matter than most of r.l. stine's stock stuff. it felt a little more scary and "grown up."

a new goosebumps fave for sure:)
Brandon Johnson
Jul 23, 2015 Brandon Johnson rated it liked it
When an antique cuckoo clock begins sending 12-year-old Michael back in time, hilarity and horror ensue. Younger me loved this for its bonkers plot and actually quite dark ending. Probably one of the most thrilling climaxes in the Goosebumps series from my admittedly foggy memory.
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • The Secret (Animorphs, #9)
  • Karen's Kittycat Club (Baby-Sitters Little Sister, #4)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)