Start by marking “The Cuckoo Clock of Doom (Goosebumps, #28)” as Want to Read:
The Cuckoo Clock of Doom (Goosebumps, #28)

The Cuckoo Clock of Doom (Goosebumps #28)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  4,739 ratings  ·  128 reviews

When his father brings home an antique cuckoo clock, Michael is cautioned not to touch it, but he turns back the hands and suddenly he is getting younger by the minute--a year younger to be exact. Ages 9-12.

Published September 1st 2003 by Scholastic (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Cuckoo Clock of Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cuckoo Clock of Doom

Night of the Living Dummy by R.L. StineSay Cheese and Die! by R.L. StineWelcome to Dead House by R.L. StineOne Day at Horrorland by R.L. StineThe Haunted Mask by R.L. Stine
The Best of Goosebumps
28th out of 53 books — 185 voters
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll1984 by George OrwellThe Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan PoeA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Running like Clockwork
58th out of 150 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Now you know what I had to live with.

Now you know why I did the terrible thing that I did.

Anyone in my place would have done the same.

Wow, I really liked this book!

Michael is twelve and his seven-year-old sister Tara is demon spawn. She makes his life miserable, deliberately humiliating him, physically hurting him, lying to their parents about him, and getting him beaten up by other kids. I mean, she is really evil. She even tortures the family cat.

Michael can never tell anyone what is going on
Danny
Ahhh, the Goosebump days. I would borrow so many of these from the library they seriously considered extending my limit of books checked out at one time. R.L. Stine you were a reprieve from a harsh and dreary childhood in which my mind wandered far away from the troubles of the day. I stole books into my bed and read far into the night by the faintest of lights. I might have better eyesight were it not for you; however, I regret not one page or line.
Shin
Man i think i read this book in the wrong time. Like this story happened to me like i feel like reading the book again. This book was abt a boy who made the biggest mistake of his 'lives'. His father had bought an antique clock and place it in their livin room. His father gave specific warnings abt not touching the clock cuz the owner said it was cursed by the one who created the clock but Michael should've listened to his dad. When he was playin around wid the clock by switchin the heads backwa ...more
Shannon
You are all rating these Goosebumps books too generously. I know it has nostalgic memories for you, or something. But I remember reading them and being disappointed and annoyed. Nothing scary ever happened. And they were written shit-ily.
Tortla
R.L. Stine was overrated. He remains that way.
Josiah
When I think of the original Goosebumps series, The Cuckoo Clock of Doom is always one of the first books to come to mind. Arriving in numerical sequence right after A Night in Terror Tower meant following a very tough act, but this book presents a game challenge to the task, offering some very smart twists and turns of the plot before the final exclamation point that is the surprise ending. R.L. Stine was arguably at his best as a writer during this particular stretch of the Goosebumps series, ...more
Colton
The thing about reading these books as an adult is enjoying them for what they are: pure nostalgia. While devoid of flashy monsters or evil dummies, this book manages some fair suspense with a backwards time traveling concept. The prose is a notch below average - nothing terribly bad, but nothing terribly brilliant either. There were some good moments; the baby scenes even made me chuckle a bit to myself. The ending was also extremely satisfying and not the usual ridiculous twist the series is k ...more
Skittles
Kibria Gulam
Mason Darden

The Cuckoo Clock of Doom by R.L. Stine is a great suspenseful children novel, That I wanted to have a fun review for my last goodreads review. For my final book review for the 8th grader.

The characters of this book are Micheal,Tara (his sister),mona,and his mom and dad. The first half of this book tell how bad Tara treat him and makes you generally hates her but when his dad gets a cuckoo clock that said its magic. Tara scares Mike but hiding in it. But his dad gets mad and tells her to don'
Jeff Cape
I've read a lot of books from the Goosebumps series when I was younger, but The Cuckoo Clock of Doom is my favorite one of all. Was even a fan club member of this RL Stine group in Canada c/o my cousins :)
Kelsi Martin
I enjoyed this story I found it significantly different from the other goosebump books , mostly because of the morbid ending. I found it easy to sympethise with the main character michael because of the actions of his little sister though in the end when he finds that tara was never born and the attitude he takes when given that information is a bit disterbing. I have always found that the best books are the ones that make you feel for the character whether love or hate, for examples the charact ...more
Sindy
R.L. Stine made an amazing series for young kids, i wounder if he wrote any for adults
Audrey
Hahahahahahahaha
Jay
It's pretty weird that the first two time travel books in Goosebumps come back to back. You'd think R.L. Stine would spread his ideas out a bit. But I really like time travel stories and "The Cuckoo Clock of Doom" introduces a bunch of interesting plot opportunities. In the story, Michael is terrorized by his sister Tara. She always gets him in trouble and ruins his birthday. Then one day his dad buys an antique cuckoo clock. Turns out, it allows the user to go back in time.

Unfortunately, Michae
Pedro Benoliel
Sticks out as one of the few books that completely and utterly failed at its purpose. I would have been 12 at the most when I read it - at the height of 'Goosebumps' popularity - and I distinctly remember giggling uncontrollably as the protagonist related his experiences going backwards in time. For something that was meant to be scary, this sure was hilarious - but that might have been why it remained one of the few GB titles I revisited time and again. Unintentional comedy at its finest.
David Santos

Oh, I just love Tara. I'd hate her for my sister, but shes a book star, annoying, but entertaining. Anyways. I'm guessing RL wrote this book when he was in a better mood, because this one was better than the previous three in the series. As an author I can say that creativity comes out when you are in a good mood. The last three looked like RL was going through a divorce or something, just wasn't much effort put into them. This one was much different and much better.
Joshua
Mar 02, 2015 Joshua added it
The Cuckoo Clock Of Doom was a very interesting book.Going back in time is awesome,but for Michael,it was a problem.I liked how it told every day was a different day or different year for Michael and how he went threw it all.Though at first the book was a tiny bit boring I liked the end how he was only one year old and how he made every thing back to normal.It puts every bit of information which almost feels like you are there.I would definetly reccomend this book
Tszchun
It a very good book. Michael has a little sister which never gets in trouble no matter what she does. Then his father bring home a Cuckoo Clock from the antique store and told them all not to touch it. Then Michael wanted to get her sister in trouble so Michael turned one of the handle then went to bed. The next day he wakes up he is a lot younger.
Yciad
One of my first reads (together with the The Berenstain Bears' Home Sweet Tree) series. I love R.L. Stine books but this one is my favorite among all the Goosebumps book series (seconded by The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb). The story are not so scary like how the cover looks. :) Each book has a moral lesson (and very informative as well).
A wholesome read for all ages! :DR.L. Stine
Anonymous
This is one of the better, unsung Goosebumps books. R.L. Stine says it was his favorite in the series. It is my THIRD favorite.

The premise of this book is simple yet entertaining. Twelve-year-old Mike Webster has a REALLY, REALLY evil sister called Tara. She ruins pretty much everything he does. She also ruins his birthday, gets him seen in his undies by his crush, and gets him beat up.

So when his father gets a new cuckoo clock from the Black Forest of Germany, he sees it as a perfect chance to
Irene
I stumbled on the GR page for this book by chance, but I remember this being one of my favorite Goosebumps when I was little, together with the one about the girl being granted three wishes which all backfire.

Sure, all these books (and the parallel series of romantic books for young girls that were marketed together, at least in Italy and when I was young) are rather stupid in hindsight. But when I was 10, they were fun and I shall rate accordingly!!

The only thing that was alway kind of weird ab
Justin Padilla

Michael Webster always seems to be getting into trouble, and he knows why: his bratty little sister, Tara, who seems to have no problem getting his parents to believe whatever she says. Michael's Dad order's a grandfather clock, and tells the family that he was told by the shopkeeper that there is an error on the clock. He firmly tells Michael and Tara that they are both not to touch the clock, but Tara does, and gets caught, prompting Michael to further get her in trouble, so he goes and change
Shaun
Honestly one of the better Goosebumps books I think. The plot is simple, but interesting enough for what it is. I don't remember this one standing out when I was a kid, but as an adult it is one I've enjoyed more upon rereading.
Iris Gamino
Ianc Ehs
This was a very interesting story, so this kids parents buy a coockoo clock (OF DOOOOOOM) and so the kid turns the hands of the clock backwards then goes back to bed. the next day it seems to be his birthday, its beena long time since i read this so i think it was his 10th birthday, but thats actually younger than he is supposed to be. it seems that he has gone back in time. this just happened to be a very bad bday for him, the next day its his 5th birthday i think. then the next day he's a baby ...more
Sarah Hysong
A read-aloud labor of love for my three boys, who loved it!!! I thought it was terrible and yet couldn't stop reading! Lol
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*
A Goosebumps children book that has the theme of a terrible sister - are you surprised? It's a common element in almost all these books I've read this year. Tara the terrible may be the worst - what an awful human being, she takes sibling brattness too far. The end has a nice twist about her at least. It's not as good as the others I've been reading, a little frustrating because he has to keep repeating a few terrible days, groundhog style. Stine dug into time travel with the cuckoo clock - how ...more
Angelison
My favourite Goosebumps series by R.L Stine! Very well written, very frightening, very thrilling, really love it!
Rachel M
Hated Tara but loved all the other characters!! If Tara was not in it It would have been 100% better
  • The Decision (Animorphs, #18)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)