Start by marking “A Cookie Before Dying (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
A Cookie Before Dying (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery #2)

A Cookie Before Dying (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery #2)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  565 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
On a stormy night, Olivia Greyson and her Yorkie discover the body of a man stabbed to death-which looks suspiciously like the intruder seen fleeing the local health food store The Vegetable Plate. Charlene Critch, owner of The Vegetable Plate, has a grudge against Olivia's cookie cutter shop, but could Charlene be hiding a secret serious enough to kill for?
Published December 1st 2011 by Berkley Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Cookie Before Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cookie Before Dying

Jonathan
A very good second book, A Cookie Before Dying was a very strong book with very minor problems. In this book Livie's dog, Spunky, becomes extremely agitated one night and wants to go out. When he won't take no for an answer, Livie takes him outside and, much to her surprise, she finds a dead man. With the help of Maddie, Livie's best friend, and, of course, Spunky Livie must find the killer before the killer puts one of her loved ones behind bars forever.

I love the characters in this book. Livie
Lindig
Feb 26, 2012 Lindig rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I just can't get worked up about cookie cutters. And they seem to be way peripheral to the "mystery." These characters, while obviously meant to be interesting with lots of quirks and tics, don't quite gel as real people.

And in cozies, I'm getting tired of the spry senior Mom who's nosy and interfering and still pushing buttons. And the children react as though they're still twelve.

No more of this series for me.
Stefanie
3.5 but I rounded up

I felt the plot dragged a bit, up until they mentioned the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, so I rounded up simply for that because go Canada.
Dharia Scarab
Nov 06, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4 sta
Jessica
Aug 03, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies
Loved this book, everything a cozy should be! Only downfall? No cookie recipe :(
QNPoohBear
Livie is annoyed to wake up on a sultry morning to find her lawn littered with pamphlets proclaiming the evils of sugar. She's certain the culprit is her neighbor, Charlene Critch, who runs a health food store. When Livie goes over to complain, she sees the store has been trashed and man running away. Charlene claims to know nothing about the pamphlet litter but she does seem to know something about the man. Who could he be and what is he doing in The Vegetable Patch? Local gossip claims Charlen ...more
Kim
Feb 24, 2012 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Second book, and still not grabbing me. The characters are flat and I have no sympathy with them or desire to see them do well. Will not be wasting any more time with this series.
Carly McEathron
It's possible that I had such a hard time enjoying this book because I did not read the first in the series; maybe all the intrigue and character development was in that title. As it was, I thought the characters were shallow and cliche, and I couldn't come to terms with a store devoted entirely to cookie cutters - just doesn't seem financally sound. The murder itself was uninteresting - there seemed to be no good reason for Olivia to want to solve this murder, her personal connection to the cas ...more
Laura Watts
Oct 27, 2013 Laura Watts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book from Virginia Lowell. Every time I read a book in this series I want a sugar cookie!

Olivia , how does she keep finding bodies. But she does, and this time it hits close to her business and her family. Can she help her brother out of some trouble with a girl? Will her brother and this girl get together in the next book?

Del, poor Del, he is always coming to the rescue of Olivia. I wonder what he needs to talk to her about? Is it their relationship or his past relationship?

Are
Janet Robel
Delightful! Olivia and her best friend Maddie really make the story special. At times, the mystery doesn't seem to be the main focus but it works with this series. Cozy mystery fans will warm up to this one.
Dawn
Jan 16, 2015 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loving this series!! This book is just as good as the first. Now on to the next!
Grey853
May 03, 2012 Grey853 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
In the second book of the series, there's a lot more going on than the first book. Unfortunately, a lot of that activity is a bit disjointed and flat. The rivalry between Olivia's cookie and cookie cutter store and the local vegetarian restaurant could've been interesting, but several of the characters were just too extreme. The mystery itself and how she goes about "helping" to solve it while breaking several laws, well, it was totally unbelievable.

Tamara Temple
Mar 31, 2012 Tamara Temple rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Second offering from V. Lowell of her cozy mystery series about Olyvia Grayson, owner of the Gingerbread House, a cookie cutter shop. Filled with the typical characters, relationships, and so on, as well as a bonafide mystery to solve! Some more twists and turns in this novel than the first, a wholly delightful read.
Deb Sharp
Aug 03, 2015 Deb Sharp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun new series to read

This is the second book in this series, I really enjoyed it, I'm looking forward to reading more of this series. The characters are interesting , I loved the ending :)
Mary Ann
Jul 10, 2012 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series it made me start a cookie cutter collection. And the bantering between the sisters is true to life. Waiting for the next book!
Jean
Apr 10, 2015 Jean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was ok for a cozy mystery, however, not outstanding. This type of book only appeals to me intermittently. I have read several lately and some of them appear to have a 'standard' cast of characters with limited character development. Plot was not that engaging either. This is second in series involving owner of shop selling cookies and cookie cutters with a female partner who is her bff. The body of an abusive violent man is discovered in the town square and the heorine's younger brother is ...more
Angela
I liked it!! The characters are quirky, their relationships are interesting, and the mystery was good. It took awhile in the story to get to a dead body but it was still interesting. The eating habits of Livie and Maddie is more like college kids then successful 30 something year old business women.... I mean really..... wine, pizza, coffee, and cookies (a ridiculous amount of cookies, lol, like a dozen or more a day if you stop to count). I was shocked when one showed up with tuna salad one day ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This book was fun to read but also had a good solid murder mystery. Our sleuth, Olivia Greyson, is the owner of a Cookie Cutter Emporium named the Gingerbread House. It specializes in cookie cutters, cookies, books about cookies...well you get the idea. A boutique store.

Unfortunately, next door is a restaurant, "The Vegetable Plate" owned by a rather over zealous health conscious woman and there is a rivalry that is acrimonious to say the least.

While cleaning up an act of vandalism, Olivia spies
Heather
Synopsis (from BN.com): On a stormy night, Olivia Greyson and her Yorkie discover the body of a man stabbed to death-which looks suspiciously like the intruder seen fleeing the local health food store The Vegetable Plate. Charlene Critch, owner of The Vegetable Plate, has a grudge against Olivia’s cookie cutter shop, but could Charlene be hiding a secret serious enough to kill for?

My thoughts: This is the second installment of Virginia Lowell’s Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery Series. I have to admit
Erin
Oct 26, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-food
I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. When the cover blurb talks about a feud between women I just envision something totally childish and petty that takes over the entire book and makes me hate the characters.

While in this case one member of the feud appears to fall directly into the childish and petty category (ok, Maddie borders on it as well) our main character manages to do her best to stay above the insanity. In other words, I actually manage to continue to LIKE Livie through t
Valerie
The biggest problem I had with this book is continuity issues in the editing. It's like the author couldn't decide if it was Pete's Diner or Joe's Diner and whomever edited it didn't fix it. There were times when it would go back and forth between the two just on one page. It was *almost* enough to make me stop reading the book. But, I do like the characters in the series so I persevered. The plot wasn't the best in this one, but not horrible. It was mostly the continuity issues that got to me.
Fanficfan44
Aug 21, 2014 Fanficfan44 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Cookie Before Dying by Virginia Lowell is A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery. The main characters are interesting, the book is well written and the plot is engaging enough to encourage readers to suspend their disbelief that anyone could make a living just selling cookie cutters. This was made a little more believable by an inheritance which will help support the protagonist. Charming setting and plenty of twists and turns, I certainly was fooled at points in the mystery. I am enjoying this take on ...more
Sam
Aug 19, 2014 Sam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Wow. I could not even finish this book. The main character drives me to distraction -- what does she think?! What does she feel? I did not develop any sense of who she is as a fictional character, nor did I become invested in her--or, sadly, her well-being, an important investment to make when reading cozy mysteries! I will not be continuing with this series until I have run out of all other A-list cozies (maybe B-listers, too).
Mary
Aug 14, 2014 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Liked everything about the book but the mystery itself. Spoiler alert . . . the fact that the abuser of a ballerina and the ballerina herself end up independently in the same small town just stretches the suspension of disbelief too much. And as much as I liked the book, the solution to the murder is just stupid so I couldn't rate it above a 2.
Sonja
Jun 16, 2014 Sonja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good cozy. I like how the characters are starting to become more dynamic especially the minor characters. It adds more interesting to an otherwise gentle mystery. I'll continue reading the series if I can find more at the library.
Sue Ross
Sep 05, 2013 Sue Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun series!!! You get cookies, hot guys, best friends, and enemies. In this one, Olivia and Maddie have to deal with Olivia’s ex, a neighbor who is totally against anything sweet, ie, cookies, one hot Latin dancer, a school friend who has been in a wheel chair and a possible ghost. When Olivia finds her front yard littered with fliers from her next door neighbor, a natural food seller, the trouble begins and it doesn’t stop until the end of the book. There are mob hints in the book, a pos ...more
Wendy Albers
Jan 28, 2015 Wendy Albers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It actually took me quite a while to read this book. It moved somewhat slowly but overall I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more from this author.
Julie
Jan 24, 2015 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I enjoyed this. It was light and fun, and in my opinion a little better than Cookie Dough or Die.
Allison
Aug 17, 2014 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the character, I think I identify with Maggie the most though. She cracks me up. And her hyperactivity reminds me of myself. Enjoyed the story line and there were parts that made me want to learn to dance. Also enjoyed the interaction between Livie and Del and their continuing courtship. Not sure what a Duesenberg cookie cutter would actually look like nor how you could differentiate it from other car shapes but I rolled with it. (Get it? "Rolled" with it...a pun - never mind). Final take ...more
Jill
Aug 14, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy
Another fun cozy series.
  • Death by the Dozen (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #3)
  • A Sheetcake Named Desire (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Peach Pies and Alibis (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #2)
  • Death in Four Courses (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #2)
  • The Gingerbread Bump-Off (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #6)
  • Death Takes the Cake (A Della Cooks Mystery #2)
  • If Fried Chicken Could Fly (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery #1)
  • The Long Stitch Good Night (An Embroidery Mystery, #4)
  • Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1)
  • Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #4)

Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery (6 books)
  • Cookie Dough or Die (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1)
  • When the Cookie Crumbles (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #3)
  • One Dead Cookie (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Cookies and Scream (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Dead Men Don't Eat Cookies (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #6)