Start by marking “Harvard classics” as Want to Read:
Harvard classics
Charles William Eliot

Harvard classics

Harvard Classics: Five-Foot Shelf of Books
Known as The Harvard Classics, this honored collection encompasses more than 2,000 years of the world's greatest poetry, drama, history, philosophy, scripture, and more. These are the books that have shaped our thoughts, our language...our very lives. The full 50-volume set brings together more than 1,850 works by over 300 masters
Nook, 0 pages
Published by New York : P.F. Collier (first published 1907)

The books that started it all for me - I started a vigorous campaign of self-education when I was in freshman year of high-school by reading all of these. It took well over a year, but I managed to get through them all, and I learned so much because of them. I regularly return to my favorites. Has some obvious gaps, but then, doesn't anyone's reading?

The high rating here is partly due to my sentimental attachment to them and as the start of my long journey into reading.
E.A. Bucchianeri
Charles W. Eliot, an American academic who became Harvard's president in 1869, was instrumental in raising the once provincial college to the most prestigious university of the United States. Eliot not only served the longest term as president in the university's history, but also edited a collection of Classic literature that has become a classic in its own right and continues to be reprinted numerous times since the copyright dating from the early 1900s. Eliot announces in the Editor's Introdu ...more
Jan (the Gryphon)
This set of Classics was to have made a liberal education available to anyone who cared to follow the reading course set forward by Dr. Eliot. The world has changed since Eliot's first publication, but the classics of European literature endure.
Kirk Dobihal
Reading chronologically, started years ago - currently on vol. 19: Johann Wolfgang von Goethe: Faust, part 1 Egmont, Hermann and Dorothea; and Christopher Marlowe: Doctor Faustus.
Jan 24, 2009 Mark is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I just started the first book in this series. It contains the biography of Benjamin Franklin, the Journal of John Woolman, and selected writings from William Penn.
Yousef M
Jan 08, 2011 Yousef M is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
2011 New Year's resolution is to start this on my Kindle as Eliot has a day-by-day syllabus.
Jan 28, 2008 Toria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Currently on Volume 5. Every home should have a set.
Jay Szpirs
Apr 16, 2012 Jay Szpirs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
- creates a psuedo-narrative link between Socrates/Plate-Epictetus-Aurileus

-Long's essays are great; provides context and thematic clarification: groups like points in M.A.'s meditations, very valuable.

-translations has more flavor than other 'modern' updates...thees and thous etc.

-some antiquated ideas about biology/physiology but very current and present notions of ethics, justice, and Nature
Vivek rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2016
Tyler Jackson
Tyler Jackson marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
Erin Moe
Erin Moe marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Corey Shaver
Corey Shaver is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2016
Devon Black
Devon Black marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Keri marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Hamza marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Carolina Liechtenstein
Carolina Liechtenstein is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2016
Nikki Vacant
Nikki Vacant marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Haider rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Hector marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Shubham Vashishtha
Shubham Vashishtha marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Manish marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Saad Rehman Shah
Saad Rehman Shah is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2016
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
John Doe
John Doe is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2016
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
William Smithwick
William Smithwick rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Jon is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2016
George Pruitt
George Pruitt marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
  • Purgatory: Explained by the Lives and Legends of the Saints
  • Some Fruits of Solitude
  • The Weeping Empress
  • Phantom Phantasia: Poetry for the Phantom of the Opera Phan
  • Tarzan and the Foreign Legion (Tarzan, #22)
  • War and the Iliad
  • A Short History of the World
  • A Second Mencken Chrestomathy
  • Discourse on Method and Related Writings
  • A Happy Boy
Charles William Eliot was an American academic who was selected as Harvard's president in 1869. He transformed the provincial college into the preeminent American research university. Eliot served the longest term as president in the university's history.
More about Charles William Eliot...