Replenish the Earth

Replenish the Earth

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Later generations would call it the Great Persecution. The Roman emperor Diocletian tried to destroy Christianity in 303 A.D. Replenish the Earth is a riveting tale that gives you an intimate view of a small Christian community that struggles to survive one of the most vicious assaults in human history.
Published August 15th 2011 by Createspace

Mike Duron
Interesting Read! -- C

As usual, I won't bother with giving you a synopsis. You can read other 'reviews' or just the description of this book at Amazon or goodreads if you want a synopsis.

Since I'm neither an expert on ancient Christian culture, the Diocletianic Persecution, or any of the historical personalities involved, I'm going to express to you in this brief review how I felt while reading this book, as a writer of fiction myself. Maybe from this point of view, you can tell whether or not i...more
Sylvie
Sitters-on-the-fence might hesitate when they read that the theme of ‘Replenish the Earth’ is the persecution of the Christians in 303 AD. On the other hand it might make them wonder, as I did, why on earth so many people would have subjected themselves to such persecution unless their experiences so thoroughly convinced them of the truth of their beliefs. Of course, it doesn’t prove anything one way or the other, but what does?

I liked the Christians and their dedication to each other. Linus did...more
Marie-Anne Mancio
Philip Bulman's "Replenish the Earth," looks at the way Christians were persecuted under the Romans. The protagonist, Linus, is a Christian in the uneviable position of having to transcribe the anti-Christian edicts of the emperor, Galerius. He plays the dangerous game of using his knowledge to protect his community. I liked that premise as it immediately set up a suspenseful situation and a character with a dilemma.

The book is very informative as a history of persecution and I have no doubt Chr...more
Eileen Granfors
Philip Bulman's historical fiction, "Replenish the Earth," brings to light the persecution of Christians as the faith began to spread in the Roman Empire. But rather than a history book, Burman lets us get to know families, characters with varying degrees of faith. All Christians, however, must obey the edicts of the Roman emperor, Galerius.

The main character, Linus, is a Christian. He is also a scribe for the emperor. He spends his days penning edicts against Christians, the very people he love...more
Pam Bugbee
I received this book for free through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

The story takes place in the year 303 A.D. in Rome. Linus, a young man who lives and works in the emperor’s palace, has learned that the Roman emperor Diocletian has begun a mission to forbid Christianity throughout the lands. As a scribe for the palace, Linus is one of the first of the citizens to know about the emperor’s intentions, as he must create scrolls of the announcement to be hung up within the community. A Christia...more
Barbara
The persecution of Christians under the Roman emperor Diocletian must have been horrible to withstand, and this book makes it seem very real. It certainly made me wonder how I would react when faced with death or denouncing my faith. I did not rate it higher because even though I usually enjoy some Scripture inserted into a story, I felt it was a little bit overdone in this novel. The circumstances usually made scripture appropriate, but they were much longer than they needed to be to give the s...more
Ankit Agrawal
I can't move on and read this book more. Its not my type. Its about religion and I don't like to read about any religion or its past.

An extreme sorry to the writer Philip Bulman as he had sent me this book for free when I got selected in the giveaway, participating in it thinking it would be my type
Fox
I won this book through the first-reads program, and my copy came both autographed and with a lovely letter from the author himself.

I was rather torn about this book. I'm a bit of a history buff, and particularly drawn to religious history and how it has evolved overtime. Being as focused as I tend to be on religious history (and having recently read Unholy Night which took care to mention Qumran and the texts published there) I was a bit thrown when the verses that were quoted seemed to be lif...more
archdandy
I won this book through Goodreads and it was very nicely signed by the author, thanks Mr. Bulman!

I had a hard time deciding what rating to give this book because it is so religious and I am very anti-religion. In the end I gave it 2 stars instead of 3 stars not because of my religious beliefs but because of how the story was written. First of all this is a very short story, not even 200 pages so maybe that contributed to this, but for me the story felt incomplete. The epilogue at the end helped...more
Frances
I received this free book from Goodreads. Thanks to the author for signing it.
I can honestly say I'm glad I wasn't around in 303 during the reign of Roman Emperor Diocletian. This story follows a group of Christians and their struggle to worship in house churches undiscovered by the soldiers. Eventually they are betrayed and die for their faith. So many before them were tortured and burned alive for their faith in Jesus Christ. They can be commended for remaining strong in the Lord amongst all...more
Brian
I received this book in the Goodreads giveaway contest. Many thanks to the author for the autographed copy.
After reading this book I feel very blessed to be living in the country I live in that allows freedom of worship. That was not the case in this book. The story is about how the Roman Empire, under the emperor Diocletian, tries to destroy Christianity by destroying the places of worship and murder of the Christians. It is written from the viewpoint of the Christians and is quite disturbing a...more
Amanda
I rated this historical fiction book 3 out of 5 stars. It was enlightening to see the view from this small community. I felt for them. People need to realize that at any moment there can be persecution of religious beliefs. It has gone back since the beginning of religions. Right now, people are doing it to Muslims. We may not be massacring them but people are shunning them.

I find this book to take that point of view that people need to see. Just to see the struggles these people faced in tryin...more
Linda Fast
Replenish The Earth is a narrative of a group of Christians living in the year 303. A Christian community survives under the Roman Emperor Diocletian who wishes to wipe out Christianity altogether. It is a testimony of courage, love and faith and wonderful scripture that is woven throughout the book. In some ways the world has not changed, there is still persecution of Christians but then again, history always repeats itselves. I receieved this book fpr free from Goodreads. Also thank you to Mr....more
Lela
This book was a Goodreads giveaway that I won. This is a well-written book with some very interesting insights and thoughts re intrepretation of Scripture. It, also, gave a stark and chilling look at what life was like for the fledging Christian communities at that time. There were particularly good examples of how to live as a Christian during hardships and wonderful ideas of forgiveness. My theology and Mr Bulman's are not the same and yet I did appreciate this book.
Sam
"Later generations would call it the Great Persecution. In the year 303 the Roman Emperor Diocletian set out to destroy christianity. Replenish the earth is a riveting tale that gives you an intimate view of members of a small Christian community as they struggle to survive on of the most vivious assaults in human history."

The book was well written, I only gave it three stars because it just wasn't my cup of tea. I received this from LibraryThing.
Morisca Cristian

I think I love this century:) It is a very good book. I recommend it.
I got this book through Goodreads First Reads.
Desiree
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads. Once again I do have to apologize in the lengthy delay of my review!
Bulman has done more than adequate job in creating a book about a sometimes very controversial topic. Religion,whether fact based or fictionalized is always a hot topic. He has created a world for us to show the life, hardship and environment that early Christians faced; albeit slightly fictionalized at times.
Eli
Hey, I won a Goodreads giveaway! The author was nice enough to send an autographed copy.

I wanted this book because I am interested in all things Roman. I am not religious, and this book is definitely from the Christian point of view. Which is not a bad thing, I am interested in all points of view.

The book could have used the help of an editor, but the writing does not get in the way of the story.
Elizabeth
A very good read, giving insight into the lives of those who lived in anti-Christian Rome and faced persecution. Adding depth to the main story are the stories of those aiding God, the angels, and those aiding Satan, who I imagined as demons.
Reagan
Jun 11, 2012 Reagan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: won, own
I won this book through Librarything.

This was an okay book. Interesting historical fiction, certainly a subject I’ve never considered before, but there wasn’t much character development so it was a bit of a dull read.
Christopher Mcclellan
This book was given to me through Goodreads giveaway. I enjoyed parts of the book and it was written very well. I had a hard time reading about persecution and other parts had bored me. Decent book.
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Kathy Golden
Kathy Golden marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Jane Lombard
Jane Lombard marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Marek Krysa
Marek Krysa marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
  • The Plectra Conspiracy
  • Indifferent
  • Nine Lives
  • You Shouldn't Call Me Mommy
  • The Mission (Worlds Without End, #1)
  • The Lost Stones
  • Immaculate Deception
  • Tangi's Teardrops: A Single Tear Will Change Everything...
  • Mars on the Rise (Veetu Industries, #1)
  • Myriad (Prentor, #1)
  • The Good Men
  • The Cat
  • The Norseman (The Norseman Chronicles, #1)
  • The Barefoot Bandit: The True Tale of Colton Harris-Moore, New American Outlaw
  • My Heart Forgets To Beat
  • Eolyn
  • Gyges the Terrible
  • The Glister Journals: Bronze
Philip Michael Bulman was born and raised in Philadelphia. He holds a master's degree in journalism from Northwestern University, and is the author of two books and many articles. Bulman currently lives in Maryland, U.S.A.
More about Philip Bulman...
Caught in the Mix: An Oral Portrait of Homelessness Replenish The Earth