Start by marking “The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)

The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps #8)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  3,804 ratings  ·  120 reviews
They're baa-ack! Make way for the bestselling children's series of all time! With a fresh new look, GOOSEBUMPS is set to scare a whole new generation of kids. So reader beware--you're in for a scare!

She's telling the truth . . . but no one believes her!
Lucy likes to tell monster stories. She's told so many that her friends and family are sick of it.
Then one day, Lucy dis
Published April 1st 2005 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Cried Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Cried Monster

Don't Go To Sleep! by R.L. StineMoonlight Secrets by R.L. StineHow I Learned To Fly by R.L. StineMidnight Games by R.L. StineThe Confession by R.L. Stine
R.L. Stine
15th out of 114 books — 38 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonGirl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Books with 'Girl' in the title
113th out of 483 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Carmen
Jul 07, 2014 Carmen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Shelves: children, fiction, horror
Lucy Dark loves monster stories. Her favorite pastime is scaring her little brother, Randy, with crazy monster tales she's concocted. But Randy's not the only one! She tells her crazy monster tall tales to her best friend Aaron, and her parents, too! Randy's the only one who ever even half believes her - after all, he's only 6!

Lucy goes to the library for her Reading Rangers program. Mr. Mortman is the kindly librarian.

The thing all of us kids hated the most about him was that his hands always...more
David Santos
I will try to review this book as best as I can. ADD started to kick in big time while reading this book, so I don't remember much.

Some inconsistencies in the story. The book says the girl has black hair, but on the cover her hair is blonde. The book also says the librarian wears a ring on his finger, but the librarian on the cover doesn't have a ring....Just thought I'd point that out. makes no difference to the story but still.

I found myself skipping parts of the book. For some reason it just...more
Christy
Kind of a dull and repetitive book, with a wildly unlikeable protagonist, but I have to give it points for the sheer absurdity of the ending.
Heather
Dec 13, 2013 Heather added it
Shelves: horror
Every single time I re-read a goosebumps book I adored as a kid I am killed with an odd mixture of nostalgia and disappointment.
Kooshmeister
Thomas O'Banion
May 21, 2013 Thomas O'Banion rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 3rd-6th graders
Shelves: for-kids, horror, sci-fi
My 8-yr old son and I have recently taken to reading the Goosebumps series together. This is the second book we've read, after Chicken, Chicken. I did not read the series when I was a kid, despite its popularity, but I am happy that my child has an appreciation for this kid-friendly, horror/suspense series.

The novel follows the basic premise of the old tale, "The Boy Who Cried Wolf." Lucy has a fascination with monster stories and she employs them to her benefit to scare her younger brother. Ho...more
Brandon O'Neill
Nov 08, 2007 Brandon O'Neill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: reluctant readers
Shelves: youthlit
My very first Goosebumps book! They started coming out when I was a junior in high school, so while I knew what they were, I never really cared about them, until I became a media specialist. I know this series gets bashed a lot, so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I'm of the opinion that it was a big to do over nothing. It wasn't the most brilliant piece of literature on earth, but the cliff hangers made you want to continue reading. I can see how that appeals to a 8 - 13 year old. S...more
Tj Blalock
This one was really good! It was fun, funny (on propose!), and I liked the twist on the cry wolf story. I liked the subtext, and it was just a lot of fun.

Mr Mortman is supposed to represent all the uptight parents who bitched about goosebumps. “You all deserve to be eaten by monsters while children laugh at you!” …an odd way to tell them to bug off, but eh, I don’t mind.

Some things didn’t make much sense, but only in that typical goosebumps way. It gets better every time I read it, and it’s ano...more
Tefanie
No spoilers but the conclusion of this book made me laugh out loud. I mean, really? The parents did THAT? XD
I've read the Goosebump series when I was younger and reading it now that I am older makes me see it in a different light. It was clearly written for children. These books terrified me then. Now, not so much. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it though.
I have forgotten most of the plots now and guessing the endings makes it more enjoyable, imo.
Ulises
La nostalgia me llevó a leer a R.L. Stine por primera vez. Sí, fue entretenido y se lee rapidísimo, pero tiene varias inconsistencias, es bastante asqueroso al punto de revolver el estómago y al final todo se resuelve de la forma más simple. En fin, sólo espero haber empezado por uno de los más malitos y que los otros sean mejores.
Alexandra
Checked a few of these out of the library because I want to re read the whole series and I had started awhile back but then stopped for some reason.
This book was kind of slow moving and a little boring at times. Not one of the faster, action packed ones.
I actually re watched this episode on YouTube just a few min ago, before completing the book and it was a very nice supplement to reading the book. It was kind of hysterically funny and cheesy. Gotta love the 90's.
This book had a surprise endin...more
Tracey G
if Lucy's parents were really vampires, then they're assholes for not believing her when she said there was a monster working at the library. i mean really?
John
Started as a 2-star book with how dumb the main character is. Why would I even think to take a picture to prove my point? I'm going to try to get an eyewitness account two more times first. My own eyewitness account, since my friend who promised to help bailed. Because my parents will clearly believe me when I say I saw it a second time, when they didn't believe me at all the first time. Oh, but two days later I remember that I can take a photo!

So, stupid person syndrome aside, the ending is goo...more
Jay
As the name implies, "The Girl Who Cried Monster" is basically a retelling of the old fairy tale "The Boy Who Cried Wolf." Lucy is a young girl obsessed with monsters. She is constantly telling stories to her friends and family and scaring her little brother by saying she saw a monster in a tree or under his bed. So of course nobody believes her when she sees a real one.

The books gets off to a bad start right from the cover. In a word, it's uninspiring. Lucy is peeking into an office where a fat...more
Maggie Gordon
Cross-posted at: http://mgbookreviews.wordpress.com/20...

Rating: * * /2

Lucy is obsessed with monsters. She’s always looking to learn more about them, and her favourite activity is scaring her little brother with monster stories. However, she talks about monsters so often that no one believes her when she sees a real one! When she stays late in the library one night, she sees the local librarian turn into a disgusting creature that eats flies! Though she tries all sorts of things to prove to her...more
Melwyn
The Book I am reviewing name is GOOSEBUMPS THE GIRL WHO CRIED MONSTER by RL Stines. It is a science fiction book. My thinking is the books theme is that you shouldn’t scare your little brother with lame monster stories because after a while they would start to not believe you.

The book starts with Lucy telling the story of the librarian being a monster. Her story starts with Lucy like scaring her brother randy by telling him monster stories. It was summer time and Lucy was in this program named r...more
Tracy Poff
Lucy Dark loves to tell stories about monsters. She especially loves to frighten her little brother, Randy, with them. When she sees the librarian, Mr. Mortman, change into a real monster, no one believes her. Worst of all, Mr. Mortman might know that Lucy saw him. Will she convince her parents that she's telling the truth, before it's too late?

The Girl Who Cried Monster is the eighth book in R. L. Stine's Goosebumps series. Stine's take on The Boy Who Cried Wolf, its protagonist, Lucy, will hav...more
David Garrido e Cunha
This book tells the story of a girl (Lucy) who has never heard the tale of Peter and the Wolf (also known as The Boy Who Cried Wolf). She pretends to see monsters everywhere, talks about monsters most of the time and she is always trying to scare her little brother, Randy. That is why noone believes when she says the librarian is an awful and terrifying monster that eats flies and turtles.

I never found this book to be interesting, even though the absurd twist in the finale saves the whole plot t...more
Hannah
Cover story: A chubby man with a terrified girl in the background. Interesting…
MC: Lucy. One of the most self-oblivious character sot grace the series.
The run down: Lucy is constantly making up stories, then is absolutely floored when people don't believe her when something really happens.
Cliff hangers: 9
Awesome town name: Timberland Falls
Doomed ending: Twistalicious
Kyle Cato
Lucy loves monster stories. She loves it so much she talks about until they get sick of it. Then one day she sees a real monster. She tells everyone else but they don't believe her. She tells them its the Liberian in charge of the summer reading program. Know that she told everyone the Liberian is after her and no one is there to help
Emma
This is more of an overall review of the series, really. When I was a kid, I used to devour these books, but sadly I'd recently somehow managed to forget all about them. I was reminded, however, when I rediscovered this awesome blog: http://www.bloggerbeware.com. These books are a mixture of varying degrees of terrible and amazing - at the same time. I honestly find it really hard to rate them, seeing as they're such a major part of my reading foundation. 11 year-old me would probably have given...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Known for telling monster stories, Lucy while going back for her roller blades, she left behind at the library, notices something strange about her librarian Mr. Mortman. This one was, I don't know, that ending seemed a bit dark for a kids book. It just went by quick you know? The book was alright.
Purple
Vina Crystelline
Lucy, cewek satu ini emang cinta banget ama yang namanya Monster, dia suka banget ngaku ke orang2 (terutama adiknya) kalo dia udah liat monster.. Sampe orang2 pada bosen dengerin bualannya si Lucy ini.. Ga disangka suatu hari dia bener2 ketemu ama satu orang yang dia curigain sbg jelmaan monster beneran (siluman??). But, of course, waktu Lucy ini cerita ma org2 tentang pria penjaga perpus ini, gak ada yang percaya ama dia. Secara Lucy selama ini suka banget membual. Nah..dimulailah petualangan L...more
Iris Gamino
*Queen Diva*
The only reason I'm giving this book 2 stars is because the main character, Lucy, is kind of a b*tch, and I sorta liked it for it XD

Once again, we have a set of parents who really suck at parenting. "I'm going to get really mad at you and then walk away".... um... how is that solving your problem and getting your kid to listen to you?

The story was blah. The twist ending was super lame...super, super, super lame. So lame in fact I felt that the entire story was pointless because (view spoiler)...more
Déaglán Bakewell
I remember watching this story on TV as a child and omg did it scare me!
Reading the book once again gave me those chills.
Nabila Anwar
A shocking ending.

Tapi jalan menuju ke sana, aaaaww... Triple NO-NO
Freshy
bwahahahahaha damasareta atashi!!! wla jud ko nag-expect haha nice one RL Stine
familiar and fresh 1 2 Sep 06, 2014 06:04AM
Who likes the book? 1 8 Jul 07, 2013 08:51AM
Talk About Juveni...: Did you like The Girl Who Cried Monster? 1 3 Jun 20, 2013 01:12PM
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Monsters: Tales to Give You the Creeps
  • The Suspicion (Animorphs, #24)
  • Get Well Soon, Mallory! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #69)

R. L. Stine b...more
More about R.L. Stine...
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)