Start by marking “The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)

The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps #8)

3.46  ·  Rating Details ·  5,163 Ratings  ·  205 Reviews
She's Telling the Truth... But No One Believes Her!

Lucy likes to tell monster stories. She's told so many that her friends and her family are sick of it.

Then one day, Lucy discovers a real, live monster: the librarian in charge of the summer reading program.

Too bad Lucy's told so many monster tall tales.
Too bad no one believes a word she says.
Too bad the monster knows who
Published April 1st 2005 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Cried Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Cried Monster

Carmen
Jun 21, 2014 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Lucy Dark loves monster stories. Her favorite pastime is scaring her little brother, Randy, with crazy monster tales she's concocted. But Randy's not the only one! She tells her crazy monster tall tales to her best friend Aaron, and her parents, too! Randy's the only one who ever even half believes her - after all, he's only 6!

Lucy goes to the library for her Reading Rangers program. Mr. Mortman is the kindly librarian.

The thing all of us kids hated the most about him was that his hands always
Chrissa Vasileiou
Dec 13, 2015 Chrissa Vasileiou rated it liked it
Shelves: children-teen
Ο χαρακτήρας της Λούσι ήταν ίσως ο πιο εκνευριστικός απ'όλες τις ηρωίδες βιβλίων της συγκεκριμένης σειράς!Σκέτο κωλόπαιδο - απλά,καθαρά και ξάστερα!
David Santos
Aug 08, 2011 David Santos rated it liked it
Shelves: goosebumps
I will try to review this book as best as I can. ADD started to kick in big time while reading this book, so I don't remember much.

Some inconsistencies in the story. The book says the girl has black hair, but on the cover her hair is blonde. The book also says the librarian wears a ring on his finger, but the librarian on the cover doesn't have a ring....Just thought I'd point that out. makes no difference to the story but still.

I found myself skipping parts of the book. For some reason it just
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Μία ακόμα ιστορία του Stine που αυτή τη φορά βασίζεται στο κλασσικό πλέον παραμύθι του Πέτρου με τον λύκο. Σαφέστατα με διδακτική διάθεση, στοχεύει στο να τονίσει πως αν θέλουμε οι άλλοι να μας πιστεύουν, πρέπει να είμαστε ειλικρινείς μαζί τους και όχι να παίζουμε με την εμπιστοσύνη τους, γιατί μπορεί όταν θα την έχουμε μεγαλύτερη ανάγκη από ποτέ, να αρνηθούν να μας την δώσουν. Και μιλώντας για τον Stine, ποτέ δεν μπορείς να είσαι απόλυτα βέβαιος για το ποια θα είναι η κατάληξη...
Heather
Dec 13, 2013 Heather added it
Shelves: horror
Every single time I re-read a goosebumps book I adored as a kid I am killed with an odd mixture of nostalgia and disappointment.
Christy
Feb 09, 2012 Christy rated it it was ok
Kind of a dull and repetitive book, with a wildly unlikeable protagonist, but I have to give it points for the sheer absurdity of the ending.
Ali
May 11, 2015 Ali rated it it was ok
از بس پایانش مسخره بود، خندم گرفت
Darcy McLaughlin
Reading through this series, I get the feeling M. Night Shyamalan was deeply inspired by Goosebumps. This book (and the next one especially) exemplify his classic twist ending hullabaloo.

Girl Who Cried Monster is about a girl named Lucy, who talks a lot about monsters (imagine that). She just loves scaring her younger brother Randy with stories about toe-biting monsters and the like. She talks about it so much that her family and friends are frankly tired of her shit, but she still insists on m
Yovano N.

Review on my blog: http://kandangbaca.blogspot.com/2014/...

Dari judulnya, buku ini adalah semacam retelling dari dongeng klasik terkenal yang berjudul The Boy Who Cried Wolf. Goosebumps volume 8 ini berkisah tentang Lucy Dark, anak perempuan yang sangat menggemari cerita-cerita monster. Imajinasinya yang luar biasa membuatnya mampu mampu mengarang cerita-cerita meyakinkan tentang monster. Ia menikmati menakut-nakuti adik laki-lakinya dengan cerita-cerita monster. Mom dan Dad telah berkali-kali m
Thomas O'Banion
May 14, 2013 Thomas O'Banion rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 3rd-6th graders
Shelves: for-kids, horror, sci-fi
My 8-yr old son and I have recently taken to reading the Goosebumps series together. This is the second book we've read, after Chicken, Chicken. I did not read the series when I was a kid, despite its popularity, but I am happy that my child has an appreciation for this kid-friendly, horror/suspense series.

The novel follows the basic premise of the old tale, "The Boy Who Cried Wolf." Lucy has a fascination with monster stories and she employs them to her benefit to scare her younger brother. Ho
Brandon O'Neill
Nov 08, 2007 Brandon O'Neill rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: reluctant readers
Shelves: youthlit
My very first Goosebumps book! They started coming out when I was a junior in high school, so while I knew what they were, I never really cared about them, until I became a media specialist. I know this series gets bashed a lot, so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I'm of the opinion that it was a big to do over nothing. It wasn't the most brilliant piece of literature on earth, but the cliff hangers made you want to continue reading. I can see how that appeals to a 8 - 13 year old. S ...more
Hilary
Oct 29, 2016 Hilary rated it it was ok
So, this was actually a surprisingly good and creepy Goosebumps book that would have been three stars from me were it not for the er... unforgivably idiotic ending. Now, it's time to address something here. R.L. Stine often has unforgivably idiotic endings. He's something of a master of the ridiculous and downright stupid endings, and eventually it became less of an annoyance and something I found hilarious as a kid. It still makes me smirk as an adult, but this one.. hoo boy.

The idea of a kid
Kooshmeister
Aurora Dimitre
Because it's one of the earlier Goosebumps books, this one doesn't fall into the traps or pitfalls that the later volumes in the series does - it's almost shockingly funny at times, with inept parents that are kind of hilarious instead of just, like, "um...", and the plot moves along at a decent pace. The ending is kind of random and shocking, but the real random and shocking thing about it is that the twist doesn't take place on the last page, but in fact the second to last page, so Stine's s ...more
Tj Blalock
Jun 08, 2012 Tj Blalock rated it really liked it
This one was really good! It was fun, funny (on propose!), and I liked the twist on the cry wolf story. I liked the subtext, and it was just a lot of fun.

Mr Mortman is supposed to represent all the uptight parents who bitched about goosebumps. “You all deserve to be eaten by monsters while children laugh at you!” …an odd way to tell them to bug off, but eh, I don’t mind.

Some things didn’t make much sense, but only in that typical goosebumps way. It gets better every time I read it, and it’s ano
Tefanie Sheen
Oct 25, 2013 Tefanie Sheen rated it liked it
Shelves: scaredy-boo
No spoilers but the conclusion of this book made me laugh out loud. I mean, really? The parents did THAT? XD
I've read the Goosebump series when I was younger and reading it now that I am older makes me see it in a different light. It was clearly written for children. These books terrified me then. Now, not so much. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it though.
I have forgotten most of the plots now and guessing the endings makes it more enjoyable, imo.
Ulises
Jul 30, 2013 Ulises rated it liked it
La nostalgia me llevó a leer a R.L. Stine por primera vez. Sí, fue entretenido y se lee rapidísimo, pero tiene varias inconsistencias, es bastante asqueroso al punto de revolver el estómago y al final todo se resuelve de la forma más simple. En fin, sólo espero haber empezado por uno de los más malitos y que los otros sean mejores.
Cinthia
Jul 06, 2015 Cinthia rated it it was amazing
Pure nostalgia :)
This book was the first "horror" book I read in my life. For a kid (as I was at the time), this book was really impressive and graphic.
Re-reading to day, I may not feel the same, but I still remember how strong was the impression this book left.
Kenneth Marquez
Nov 05, 2015 Kenneth Marquez rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book to everyone.It starts whit a girl and she liver her backpack at the library and she sees the librarian and the librarian changes to a monster.
Tracey
Jul 27, 2013 Tracey rated it liked it
if Lucy's parents were really vampires, then they're assholes for not believing her when she said there was a monster working at the library. i mean really?
Atharva
Dec 24, 2016 Atharva rated it it was ok
This book is a a lot like Stay out of the Basement. There, the Mister Dad ate plant food. Here, the librarian eats worms and Fleas(Yuck!) Most of the book has rides from Home to the Library spying the librarian and watching him turn into a monster and being back again and then trying to convince her parents and friend what she (Lucy) saw. The story progresses not much at the beginning, but at the end you won't believe how fast it goes. The characters and plotlines are predictable (Not at the end ...more
Vishvasri J.S
Nov 07, 2015 Vishvasri J.S rated it it was ok

Lucy Dark is spending her summer vacation scaring her brother and participating in the local library's reading program. She scares her brother, Randy, by merely mentioning that there might be a monster behind a tree, in a bush, around the corner, etc. Randy falls for this because he is six years old. The reading program at the library is called Reading Rangers and the deputy of this program is the hideous, bald, sweaty mole-like man named Mr. Mortman.

Mr. Mortman tries to encourage Lucy to read t
Deo
Feb 03, 2012 Deo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Valerie
Jan 31, 2017 Valerie rated it really liked it
This was a fun slice of life from the 1990s, and not in a terrible nostalgic way, but written in the period. Rollerblades, phones that ring with a bell, cameras with films, no cell phones, and children spending many unsupervised hours entertaining themselves. This is an excellent tween book, with a good story and easy to read. Not something I would normally pick up, but I was recording the audio and really enjoyed my time in that book. Quick and fun read. 3 stars for something I'd pick up to rea ...more
Sam.the.wolf.king
Dec 15, 2016 Sam.the.wolf.king rated it really liked it
I thought it was really good for the first book.The only thing that wasn't that good about it was that there wasn't that much action and not as creepy as all of the other books are.
itchy
Nov 17, 2016 itchy rated it liked it
Shelves: soft
i was afraid that's what's gonna happen
Melwyn
Jan 08, 2009 Melwyn rated it it was ok
The Book I am reviewing name is GOOSEBUMPS THE GIRL WHO CRIED MONSTER by RL Stines. It is a science fiction book. My thinking is the books theme is that you shouldn’t scare your little brother with lame monster stories because after a while they would start to not believe you.

The book starts with Lucy telling the story of the librarian being a monster. Her story starts with Lucy like scaring her brother randy by telling him monster stories. It was summer time and Lucy was in this program named r
Kate Grimm
Oct 13, 2016 Kate Grimm rated it it was amazing
TALK ABOUT SURPRISE ENDING! The book and episode are top notch. Highly recommend
Lindsay
Review originally posted on Tsundokuholic.

Pre-Reread Thoughts

Another month, another edition of Goosebumps! I believe I received this book for Easter when my mom was obsessed with putting Goosebumps in my Easter basket. From what I can remember, a girl discovers her teacher (?) is a monster and no one believes her. It’s the same format as most Goosebumps books. R.L. Stine really liked to exploit the childhood fear that adults won’t believe you and are inherently useless in an emergency, huh? I re
Laina SpareTime
Dec 19, 2016 Laina SpareTime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cross-posted from my blog where there's more information on where I got my copy and everything.

(Rounded from 3.5)

I really love this one. I can't help it! Most of it takes place in a library, and I'm pretty much always going to love books set in libraries. Especially the one in this one, where it's kind of dark and creepy. I'm obviously a fan of libraries that are bright, open, and inviting to kids, but there's something about a creepy library that is also pretty cool, at least in a book. And the
familiar and fresh 1 5 Sep 06, 2014 06:04AM
Who likes the book? 1 10 Jul 07, 2013 08:51AM
Talk About Juveni...: Did you like The Girl Who Cried Monster? 1 3 Jun 20, 2013 01:12PM
  • The Hork-Bajir Chronicles (Animorphs Chronicles, #2)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)
  • The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11)