The Moon Lady

The Moon Lady

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  954 ratings  ·  37 reviews
A MAGICAL NIGHT WHEN SECRET WISHES CAN COME TRUE
On a rainy afternoon, three sisters wish for the rain to stoop, wish they could play in the puddles, wish for something, "anything, " to do. So Ying-Ying, their grandmother, tells them a tale from long ago. On the night of the Moon Festival, when Ying-ying was a little girl, she encountered the Moon Lady, who grants the secr...more
Published November 1st 1995 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Moon Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moon Lady

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth PfefferThe Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth PfefferThis World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer90 Miles to Freedom by K.C. HiltonDead to the World by Charlaine Harris
Books with Moons on the Cover
83rd out of 345 books — 121 voters
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa SeeThe Good Earth by Pearl S. BuckThe Joy Luck Club by Amy TanShanghai Girls by Lisa SeeThe Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan
Best Novels That Take Place in China
140th out of 245 books — 687 voters

More lists with this book...

Diana Bogan
If you are a fan of Amy Tan & have kids, you'll love this book. Let me count the ways I love this book:
1. It teaches kids through storytelling how to deal with the age old complaint — "I'm bored. THere is nothing to do."
2. It shares cultural information, through description (like preparing dinner) and...
3. also through telling a story within a story, for example the Moon Festival.
4. I love how accurately children's emotions, thoughts are portrayed.
5. I love how I can practically smell, feel...more
emilie.❤
I love this book so much and it surprises me how underrated it is. I remember looking at it when I was really little, and I always thought the vivid illustrations were hauntingly beautiful. I have the cassette tape that tells the story, but to get the whole "reading experience", the gorgeous and colorful pictures are a must!
Alee
My mother told a different version of this story. However, the beautiful drawings make this a worthwhile part of the collection for my daughter.
Dolly
Mar 25, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fascinating, but somewhat lengthy tale about a grandmother telling a story about her youth to her grandchildren. I love the way that the story is told from the perspective of a very young girl, with all of the wonder and confusion of seeing something for the first time. (view spoiler)

I think that for...more
Muriel Fang
Nice children's book with Chinese background. Interestingly, the theme of abandonment run deep in Chinese children's stories -- I was always scared by this theme.
Debbie Tanner
I thought this one was ok. The story was an interesting Chinese folk tale about making wishes and about what's really important in your life. However, the way the book is formatted... it has an entire page of text next to a beautifully detailed picture. I think the book was intended for fairly small children (it IS a picture book) but no little kids I know would have the patience to sit through this book. If you wanted to do a compare and contrast with this one, you might you Ping by Marjorie Fl...more
Terri
I listened to the audiobook of this title, and I think I would have enjoyed it much more if I could have seen the illustrations. Picture books just don't work without the interplay of text and illustrations! Nonetheless, I picked this up from the library when looking for the Chinese folk tale of the lady who was banished to spend eternity living on the moon, and the tale is included here but only briefly. This excerpt from Tan's Joy Luck Club reads very much like a memoir as Ying-ying tells her...more
Clara
Beautifully written, as always!
Shirleen
Beautiful illustrations, especially of the people. I loved looking at the detail in the clothing The backgrounds in the illustrations were a little too busy for my taste, but I loved the colors. The story is suitable for an older child - a little too long and details for a younger child. The story gives a nice view of background of the culture in China and the Moon Festival. I thought the ending of the story was a little abrupt - no details of how Ying Ying was found by her family.
Clairissa D
Dec 03, 2013 Clairissa D added it
Shelves: sequencing
This text is about three sisters who are bored on a rainy day looking for something to do that would be entertaining. In that moment their grandmother decides to tell them a story about what happen the night of the Moon Festival and how she encountered the moon lady And the life lessons that she learned from her. I would use this text in my classroom to teach students about sequencing and it's importance in a story.
Elisha
One of my favourite books as a child turns out to be written by one of my current favourite authors! As an Overseas Chinese, I relate to her stories so much.
Cheryl in CC NV
Not for toddlers - consider it an illustrated story for patient children ages 4 and up. Gorgeous descriptions and details in the text bring it more alive than I would have guessed - and of course the illustrations are yet another aid and enhancement. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to learn that children in historical China have the same spirit and feelings as children anywhere.
Jen
Mar 27, 2008 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Amy Tan Fans/Looking for good kids book
Recommended to Jen by: Girl I was babysitting
Another children's book by Amy Tan. It's a beautiful story about a Grandmother with her three granddaughters on a rainy afternoon with a tale from her childhood - a story Tan tells best. I was happy when the little girl I was babysitting wanted me to read this to her instead of Barbie Goes Shopping (something like that...)

Tasia
Beautiful, but what happened to Amah? The little girl fell into the water and nearly drowned... I can't imagine her Amah was forgiven for that.
Gorgeous illustrations. I think a high-level reader would be able to sit through this read, but you'd definitely need a child with patience, high-reading level or not.
Teniesha Kessler-Emanuel
A wonderful contemporary Chinese tale offering a peak into traditional Chinese culture. The tone is fun and like mischievous, and the illustrations are vivid and detailing, mirroring the bright color palette of Chinese fashion and design.
Rebecca Waring-Crane
This story appears in Tan's adult fiction novel "The Joy Luck Club." Slightly refashioned for the author's first book for young readers, the tale comes to life with brilliant full-page illustrations.
Rickyjez
Probably the only children's book I'll review, although I've read plenty. Amy Tan is a favorite author of mine and would have been at an even earlier age, had I had this book to read!
Stephanie
Apr 19, 2011 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Soldotna Library
Shelves: children-s
This book has beautiful illustrations that enhance a beautiful story written by a great author: Amy Tan.
This book is a great way to help children discover some of the folk tales of China.
Shelly Cross
When my daughter was little, this was one of our favorite books to read together . . . it's a great story and the illustrations are gorgeous.
Oct 13, 2008 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
Shelves: loved-as-a-kid
This book has the most beautiful drawings. I actually used to copy images from this book, which was the only time I ever really enjoyed drawing.
Danielle
I had this book when I was younger....I never realized it was by Amy Tan. I've recently been addicted to reading her novels.
Jackie
Wonderful artwork about Chinese culture. Wonderful realistic story with all female characters. Love the bright colors.
Jenny Minogue
Her first children's book! The art was amazing. The story delighted, excited, and scared my kids.
Juliebd
Didn't realize it was a short children's story when I bought the audio book. It was a cute story
Tori
Nov 03, 2008 Tori added it
I think this was a great book for me because I am Chineese it is just it's kind of spooky!
Jannell
I have both read the picture book (excellent illustrations) & listened to it. Just wonderful.
Una Tiers
Nice tale with grandmother telling story about making wishes and Chinese culture.
Lori
A beautiful story about wishing.All ages would appreciate it.
Julie Unruh
She can write in any form. It's all wonderful and understanding.
Cara
Lengthy story but I think it has a really good message.
  • The Popcorn Book
  • In the Wild
  • Madeline and the Gypsies
  • Ruby's Wish
  • Imagine a Night
  • Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend (Henry and Mudge, #11)
  • Uncle Jed's Barbershop
Amy Tan (Chinese: 譚恩美; pinyin: Tán Ēnměi; born February 19, 1952) is an American writer whose works explore mother-daughter relationships and what it means to grow up as a first generation Asian American. In 1993, Tan's adaptation of her most popular fiction work, The Joy Luck Club, became a commercially successful film.

She has written several other books, including The Kitchen God's Wife, The Hun...more
More about Amy Tan...
The Joy Luck Club The Bonesetter's Daughter The Kitchen God's Wife The Hundred Secret Senses Saving Fish from Drowning