Start by marking “The Curse of the Pharaohs: My Adventures with Mummies” as Want to Read:
The Curse of the Pharaohs: My Adventures with Mummies

The Curse of the Pharaohs: My Adventures with Mummies

In this highly readable first-hand account, world-famous Egyptologist and spellbinding storyteller Dr. Zahi Hawass shares some of the many intriguing tales about the legendary "curse of the pharaohs"-including several of his own experiences with it. Also known as the "curse of the mummies," this spine-tingling legend-still believed by many people-claims that anyone who ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by National Geographic Children's Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Curse of the Pharaohs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curse of the Pharaohs

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
He writes the way he talks-- I could hear his voice in my mind as I read. Zahi-- my hero! Now there's a guy who's as passionate about his career as I am. I would LOVE to meet him some day.
Brenda Pacheco
Jan 18, 2016 Brenda Pacheco rated it really liked it
(audiobook) i wish i could read this as a child :)
Tayler Morrell
Dec 04, 2011 Tayler Morrell rated it really liked it
Shelves: english-420
I read this for my non-fiction requirement. It is about Hawass's adventures in Egypt. He is one of the heads of Archeology in Egypt overseeing the pyramids. He mentions the idea of a curse of the pharoahs, but dispells it because he doesn't believe in it.

This is a very interesting read, published by the National Geographic. Hawass has a wonderful, engaging voice. I actually enjoyed reading this far more than I did "Shipwreck."

Numerous pictures were included of different artifacts and archeologi
Rebecca
Jun 09, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great booktalk (Susan's recommendation) during our "Egypt season" in Columbus. Written by a guy who really went into the tombs, and gives some compelling evidence for why he believes in "the mummy's curse." Show the double-spread photo of the decomposed mummy of Ramses II and mention that when he was removed from the tomb and placed in the sun, his crossed arms slowly separated and rose. Creeeeeeeepy!
Lori
Jun 18, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zahi Hawass seems not only well-connected to those associated with his field, thus having a unique ability to share details about this area and of his field of expertise, but he also has a true passion for history and his books are truly fascinating to learn from! There is a good amount of detail for young readers interested in the subject here, without being too 'scary'.
Stephen
Jun 23, 2013 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Dr. Hawass is an interesting individual. This book not only tells some of the different curse stories, but gives his personal perspective on curses and the ancient Egyptians. He also shares many stories of his own experiences with the curses. This book will keep any Egyptology afficionado enthralled from start to finish.
Nikki
Feb 17, 2011 Nikki rated it liked it
The photos in this book are gorgeous and also let you see a different side of archaeology. I've always been in awe of Hawass' career and passion and they both come through in this book. I wish I could have read this as a child.
Debrarian
Good photos. Incredibly conceited sounding man, text full of endless unnecessary references to himself.
Sue
Aug 16, 2013 Sue rated it it was ok
Extremely disappointed--and immediately turned-off--with the author's derogatory comment on page 7 deriding the aliens or Atlantis. This man is arrogant and ignorant.
Jessica Hanley
Nov 29, 2009 Jessica Hanley rated it liked it
This book featured an interesting viewpoint from a current explorer of Ancient Egypt. The full color photographs are amazing.
Heba Wahsh
Heba Wahsh rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2013
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2010
Oni
Oni rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2009
Dsgalvao
Dsgalvao rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Cylon mistress
Cylon mistress rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2012
Ren
Ren rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Alisha Ellington
Alisha Ellington rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2011
Emily Gardner
Emily Gardner rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Karen H
Karen H rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Susan De
Susan De rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Pam Bales
Pam Bales rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Virginia
Virginia rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2013
Lilichka19
Lilichka19 rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2012
Irisstith
Irisstith rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2012
Savannah
Savannah rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Tracie
Tracie rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2013
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2014