Escape from the Carnival of Horrors (Give Yourself Goosebumps, #1)

Escape from the Carnival of Horrors (Give Yourself Goosebumps #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  1,461 ratings  ·  35 reviews
TAKE A RIDE IF YOU DARE...

Late on night you and your friends visit the old fairgrounds. They're putting up rides and booths for the annual carnival. But this year things look really different. Really odd. Really scary.
The place is lit up by a hundred fiery torches. And spooky music is coming from the main tent. Then you meet Big Al, the creepy carnival manager He's invited...more
Published July 1st 1995 by Apple (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Escape from the Carnival of Horrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape from the Carnival of Horrors

David Santos
Right off the bat, there is something I don't like. The book isn;t in first person or third and I dont even know what second person is, but whatever this person is, needs to go away. The book makes you a character and has comments saying you did this, you said this, you did that. It gets really annoying.

However, I must applaud RL. This series takes a lot of creativity. For those that don't know. In this series you start off by reading the first page and second. then at the bottom of the pages i...more
Charles
Stuff I Read – Escape from the Carnival of Horrors by R L Stine Review

So I picked this up to read with my wife, because it seems like such a great idea to read a choose your own adventure aloud with booze involved. And I have the entire first series of Goosebumps and most of the Give Yourself Goosebumps line of books, of which this is the first. So indeed, some beer in hand, me and my wife decided to sit down and play through some endings. And I must say, this is not very good. I mean, as far as...more
Janelle Dazzlepants
LOL I always used to die so I'd flip back a few pages and change the ending.

I loved RL Stine's books as a kid, and would enjoy being scared out of my brains by his endless array of scenarios. But now I read these books again and I'm like '@_@ THIS IS TOO SCARY' - it's funny how now that I'm older, I view these books as too scary for children. They were certainly nightmare-worthy, and while this one didn't affect me too badly, Slappy the Dummy tormented me in my sleep for YEARS. -_-"

RL Stine rea...more
Geraldine
Mar 18, 2013 Geraldine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children, horror-lovers, young at hearts
I had read this book when I was 12 years old and it scared me a lot. It was one of my favorite books when I was still a kid (and I miss reading books like this).

On the first chapter of the book, like any coward kid, I also chose to go back home instead of joining my friend (in this book) in their adventure of trespassing the carnival, but it's really funny because it led me to the page that I supposed to change my mind and join Patty and Brad in their adventure. I died in this book, many times (...more
Josiah
A book that is both Goosebumps AND like a Choose Your Own Adventure? Now, this is my idea of a good time!
R.L. Stine shows himself to be a very capable writer of gamebooks in this initial effort, spinning several clever twists on the original Edward Packard/R.A. Montgomery idea that give a fresh new edge to the gamebook idea. The expanded length of the book (as compared to most Choose Your Own Adventure entries) makes for more prolonged storylines, and there are very many different story direct...more
Proddut Mohajon
Jordan Starr
I think the Goosebumps books in general are very engaging and fun for students to read, and I like that this one in particular includes multiple endings. It helps expand student's imaginations and allows their minds to run wild. Teachers could even have students predict their own endings and do a writing assignment about them. Other than that, I do think this book may be difficult to use as a required academic reading and may be better used as an option just for fun.
Deo
This book was great. It took me at least 10 tries to actually escape. I fought robots, ran into Slappy, went to a reptile petting zoo, played some fun games and spoke with a fortune teller. I honestly thought there was no way to escape after my 6th try. But lone and behold I finally managed to get away... all thanks to the Monster Blood of course. It is a great book with all kinds of different paths to choose from... very well done for the first in the series.
Ker Malkin Gesulga
LOL. Refraining from any kind of adventures, I was leaning more toward the options which could possibly get me out from the Carnival as soon as possible. With succeeding lucks, I made it past the trials but somehow ended up in a very lame conclusion. Ha-ha. However, in my second try, I finally got away from the whole thing; which was better. So... yeah. Cool. xD
Imre
I remember reading these when I was young, and I used to really enjoy them. Rereading them again now at age seventeen, it obviously wasn't the same experience. However, I can see what drew me towards the series, and it was fun to read them again. They are definitely recommended to a younger audience.
Carol Briseno
It was an O.K. book, I don't think i'd read it again if I were to be honest. I love the choosing your own destiny style of it but it's a kids book and doesn't lead to much interest for young adults like me. Cool story though and certainly creative.
Mini
It is definitely a Goosebumps book! My brother and I read this together and took turns choosing what happened. In the story three kids go over a fence to check out a carnival that's not finished yet. They're supposed to be testing out the rides, but it did not turn out well. They ended up ghosts!
Robert B. Miller
This book is a choose your own adventure book. I remember reading these types of books when I was younger and I really enjoyed them! There are 20 possible endings in this book. The stories are all short. I read this for Spring '08 semester.
Indah Threez Lestari
497th - 2011

Waduh... dibandingkan seri sejenis lain (pilih sendiri petualanganmu etc), maju-mundur di sini lebih bikin pusing.

Apalagi ada satu pilihan cerita yang tak bakal tamat-tamat...;)

- beli obral dari ibu kost -
Reeva
Very entertaining. I liked picking my own path. It made me nervous eveytime! I was so worried about dying lol, but I made it out alive my first time. Died a terrible death the second time. I liked it, but it wasn't super awesome. Just fun.
Lauren
This book was scary enough at a young age to be fully entertaining as an adult as well. The story and concept is wonderful and R.L. Stine has a knack for being able to create a spooky atmosphere.
Rebecca
Another great choose your own adventure from R. L. Stine. You get stuck in a haunted carnival and have only hours to escape before you get trapped there for all eternity.
E
As a kid, this was one of my favorite books. Great story, a nice touch of humor, and good scare if you're in elementary school. I enjoyed it then, but I wouldn't pick it up again.
Sarah Goode
I used to love reading choose your own adventure books when I was a kid. I enjoyed this one too. I flicked back and forward and read a few different stories :)
Alisha
The best thing about choose your own adventures is you never get the same ending ( unless you make exactly the same choice as last time of course lol)
Jessica
WAAH! I kept on dying! I have HORRIBLE survival skills! I had to cheat to live! Anyways, that was soo much fun!
I remember this book being a ton of fun. It was reader interactivity until Barthes came along and shattered my world.
Philip
I really suggest this book it is so scary, and there is only one safe way out of the carnival of horrors
Payal
i think its cool how you get to choose whay happens next in the book.
i escaped at the end!
Mela Ekasari
Lots of redundancy. And there's no page telling me to go to page 132. It's strange.
Shaelyn
Dont member too much about this one, havent read it since it first came out.
Mairead
I LOVE THESE INTERACTIVE BOOKS! :D So many memories! :D
Ashley Calvert
Best choose your own adventure book EVER!
frozen
Creepy but awesome. Also a quick read.
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • Mary Anne + 2 Many Babies (The Baby-Sitters Club, #52)
  • Gargoyles Don't Drive School Buses (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #19)

R. L. Stine b...more
More about R.L. Stine...
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)