Start by marking “Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It: Learn Step by Step How to Go from Empty Studio to Finished Image” as Want to Read:

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  233 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
" FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, YOU'LL LEARN ALL THREE ASPECTS OF WHAT IT TAKES TO CREATE STUNNING PORTRAITS
"(HINT: IT'S NOT JUST THE LIGHTING)
Scott Kelby, the world's #1 best-selling author of photography books, Editor-in-Chief and Publisher of "Photoshop User" magazine, and Publisher of the just-released "Light It "magazine, has reinvented how lighting books are written by
Published September 2nd 2011 by New Riders Publishing (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It

Dave Edens
Dec 29, 2011 Dave Edens rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
I received this book as a prize for winning my local groups World Wide Photo Walk this year. At the time I had no studio lighting equipment and was not sure how much use I would get out of it, but new the writing would be classic Scott Kelby so there had to be something in there for me. Turns out nearly every chapter has something every photographer can use. There are loads of tips in the retouching sections for any type of shooter, and some of the lighting tips help make you more aware of light ...more
Kerri
Dec 31, 2011 Kerri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick read but great as a reference to return to frequently when I get more lighting equipment.
Katsu
Apr 14, 2013 Katsu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
This book is not about a studio, not about a light and not about shot. It is ONLY about Retouch.
And it would be OK if title suggests that. But it doesn't. Subtitle suggests that this book will learn you how to make photo starting from empty studio. So unfortunately this is also a lie. Lights configuration is shown and no decision process or any kind of detailed explanation why is no mentioned. Also there are no information why this frame was chosen for further retouch.
I expected also lights and
Dominic Forbes
Nov 03, 2014 Dominic Forbes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Easy to follow. Mainly about Photoshopping after a shoot. The lighting set ups aren't very detailed in a technical sense but good food for thought if you have the equipment. I use PS everyday and learnt several new techniques.
A good introduction and easy to see how to delve further elsewhere.
Dicky stefanus
Mar 05, 2014 Dicky stefanus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really nice. He can combine many gears, and really offer great tips how really to do it (based on the experience). Like the part to get a studio light with wheels. The language is easy to comprehend, and its make the reader wonder where is d next book about.
Sarah Whisted
Feb 08, 2013 Sarah Whisted rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I think this book will come in more handy for me further down my journey to photographer. Perhaps it's a little beyond my current status. I don't have a lot of the suggested equipment and apparently have a lot more to learn about my camera's functions before I can put them to use properly. I also do not have photoshop as an editing means (I bought a separate book for the program I do have). Still, I think the set-ups will come in handy one day and at least now I know what kind of equipment I sho ...more
Ahmad Aea
Jan 31, 2015 Ahmad Aea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
amazing book
Aziz Jaà
Dec 06, 2015 Aziz Jaà marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
thanx
Carolyn
Enjoyed the seminar based on this and the book is a wonderful "how-to" guide. There were this ideas presented here that myself and a friend were surprised and amused to find the teachers in our photography school would never consider... Or would down right say would never be acceptable "in the real world".

Scott Kelby may first and foremost be a marketer, but in the world of photography he has his finger firmly on the pulse of popular techniques and trends.
Elizabeth
I found this extremely useful for step-by-step post-processing guidance in Photoshop. The "retouch it" was more helpful to me than the "light it" and "shoot it" aspects, but it will be different for every reader/user. The eBook is fantastically well organised - it's clear a lot of thought went into producing it. It's one I'll refer back to, I'm sure.
Reem  Alshaikh
Jan 03, 2015 Reem Alshaikh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب ليس للقراءه بقدر مايجب ان يملكه كل مصور محترف
لمعرفه الاضاءاه والتعديل والتصوير
كتاب جدا رائع سيلازمني دائما من حيث التطبيق والتفاصيل
من المواقف الطريفه ان لم اكن املك مبلغ الكتاب ولكن اكتشفت بعد شرائي لعده كتب ان سأحصل على كوبون بسعر الكتاب فكان من نصيبي
وتستعيره صديقاتي المصورات
Stephanie
Jun 12, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Using as a reference book more than something to read straight through. I just started working with lighting, though I've done some Photoshop work over the years. Scott Kelby has great instruction videos online so the book is a bonus.
Michel Guindon
Dec 13, 2015 Michel Guindon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic step by step guide

This book is a fantastic step by step guide to get you started. With this as your jumping off point your creativity will be able to expand upon the use of these techniques.
Rebecca Bridges
Jan 03, 2013 Rebecca Bridges rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scott Kelby books are always so easy to follow along with and "Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It" is no exception! There are some great techniques laid out "step by step" for even the most amateur photographer.
Jakenv
Jul 05, 2012 Jakenv rated it liked it
Kelby books are always informative. Would recommend to any new or semi experienced DSLR users who want to rev up their ability while processing is an additional bonus.
Lisa
Nov 29, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Excellent for understanding lighting placement and how to touch up after and it doesn't require a major investment in equipment.
Ahamd Mesallm
Jan 16, 2014 Ahamd Mesallm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
اذا كنت محب لتصوير الأستديو فهذا الكتاب سيساعدك على فهم توزيع الأضاءة و معالجة صورة البورترية بالفتوشوب
Denise
Mar 01, 2012 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
A great step-by-book for anyone interested in perfecting their studio lighting skills.
Fatimah Al Shabeeb
أحببت تفاصيل الشرح المرفقة بالصور والمعدات ومراعاة سكولبي للبدائل الغير متوفرة
Mohamed Gamal
Mohamed Gamal marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Malak
Malak marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Dark Soul
Dark Soul rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Ryan Shaver
Ryan Shaver rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Gentur Triatmojo
Gentur Triatmojo rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Ahmad
Ahmad marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Mahmoud al3assar
Mahmoud al3assar marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
June Norsworthy
June Norsworthy marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
  • People Pictures: 30 Exercises for Creating Authentic Photographs
  • On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • Picture Perfect Practice: A Self-Training Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Taking World-Class Photographs (Voices That Matter)
  • Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with Or Without a Macro Lens
  • Vision & Voice: Refining Your Vision in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
  • The Print (Ansel Adams Photography, #3)
  • Night Photography: Finding Your Way In The Dark
  • Chasing the Light: Improving Your Photography with Available Light
  • Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
  • Creative Black & White: Digital Photography Tips & Techniques
  • The Passionate Photographer: Ten Steps Toward Becoming Great
  • Photoshop Compositing Secrets: Unlocking the Key to Perfect Selections & Amazing Photoshop Effects for Totally Realistic Composites
  • The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
  • Composition: From Snapshots to Great Shots
  • Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography
Scott Kelby is an American author and publisher of periodicals dealing in Macintosh and Personal Computer software, specifically for design professionals, photographers, and artists.

Kelby is editor and publisher of Photoshop User and Layers magazines, president and co-founder of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) and is president of Kelby Media Group, an Oldsmar, Florida-ba
More about Scott Kelby...