Start by marking “Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)

Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  14,741 ratings  ·  592 reviews
Amanda and Josh Benson move into a new house in Dark Falls, where the residents are all zombies who have died while living in the same house and are preparing to make the Benson family one of them, as they need blood to survive.
Published September 1st 2003 by Scholastic (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Dead House, please sign up.

Rebecca McNutt You can buy it on Amazon, Chapters, Abebooks, the Book Depository, Betterworldbooks.com, eBay, etc. or read free chapters of it here: …moreYou can buy it on Amazon, Chapters, Abebooks, the Book Depository, Betterworldbooks.com, eBay, etc. or read free chapters of it here: http://www.kidzworld.com/forums/poetr...(less)

Nikki
Jan 12, 2009 Nikki rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Book Level 3.7 / AR Points 3.0
Shelves: childrens-shelf
So it’s like this. 12 year old Amanda and her 11 year old little brother Josh aren’t too thrilled about being uprooted from the house they’ve lived in their entire life just because some dead Uncle Charlie (that no one even knew anyway) left their Dad a house in his will. But here they are in Dark Falls anyway, because really, there’s only so much whining and complaining a kid can do. So like I said, now we’re at this creepy old house covered in shade trees (along with the rest of the neighborho ...more
Anne
I read this because I promised my 11 year old that I would read it with him. He hates to read anything that isn't a comic book, or at the very least, in graphic novel format. Since he loves all things creepy, I thought that this would be a great way to finally get the kid to read something with actual chapters!
I think this is probably as close to perfect as it gets for a reluctant reader like my son. The chapter are short (two or three pages at the most), and yet packed with super-creepy stuff.
Carmen
May 20, 2014 Carmen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids interested in horror but not allowed to watch horror movies; Parents
Shelves: children, horror, fiction
Amanda and Josh didn't want to move to their new house. It's creepy - they see the faces of children in the windows and hear them whispering and giggling in their rooms.

Nobody can turn down a free house, though, and they inherited from their dead uncle in a stroke of luck (I'm not sure "luck" would be the word I'd use).

At least the kids in the neighborhood are nice. Well, except for that time they surrounded the siblings in a circle while holding baseball bats in a threatening manner.

And Petey
Salymar
Welcome to Dead House was the first book in the Goosebumps book series. I read it in our allotted library hours back in my elementary school.
I appreciated this a lot more because this was my first goosebumps book. The story starts with Josh and Amanda moving with their parents into a relic of a house willed to them by their late uncle. Amanda and Josh felt sad about their uncle and they are not too thrilled about the new house or town. Amanda tries to give a chance on liking the new place but s
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words:I never was a fan.

I never was a fan of Goosebumps... There was something about those stuck up, nasty, selfish brats that never appealed to me.

And this first book is perhaps one of the worst. Josh is such a brat, such a spoiled little... Yeah, these little shits frustrate me so much. I can't even put them into words. Chav comes to mind.
James Finn
Readers beware…

Similar to many young boys, library visits in my youth consisted of hunting down and searching for the Goosebumps series! I was already familiar with the TV show, but was particularly drawn to the horror and built up tension entailed within each book. R.L Stine’s Goosebumps series made me willingly read for the first time; and this appetite for horror has continued with particular interest in Stephen King novels.

Welcome to Dead House is the first title of the Goosebumps series. Am
Jory
"Where is everyone?" I asked, looking up and down the empty street. "It's really dead around here, huh?"
He chuckled. "Yeah, I guess you could say that."

TALK ABOUT FORESHADOWING. GOOD ONE, STINE.

I decided this year would FINALLY be my Year of Stine. I couldn't resist. I wanted to jump into the books of my young adolescent life. I've got to tell you, this is going to be super fun for me. Reading Welcome To Dead House was like a blast from my youth past. I used to love this book. Like a lot. It w
Andrew Greatbatch
OH MY GOD THAT ENDING NO HOW COULD YOU FINISH IT LIKE THAT
Ken
When the "Goosebumps" books started coming out in the early 1990's, I was too old to read them. Now, twenty some odd years later, I picked up "Welcome to Dead House", the first in the series, as a quick read. I actually really enjoyed the book and wish these had been around when I was a kid.

Looking forward to reading a few more of the 61 other titles.

4 STARS
Tiana
Trevor Fitzpatrick
I thought this book was one of the better Goosebumps books I've read. This book reminded me of something Stephen King would come up with. The book is about two children that move into a house in this secluded town. They notice children starting to randomly pop up in their house and in the town. Sooner than later, the kids find out that it's a ghost town and everyone they have been seeing are dead. The ghost kids tell the kids that need to to make one sacrifice a year in order to exist as the liv ...more
Javi
¡A la cuarta va la vencida! Ah no, espera; era a la tercera. ¡Es igual! El cuarto libro de la serie; por fin uno que descubro releyéndolo ahora, siendo más mayor, que perfectamente podría dar miedo a un niño; público al que están destinados estos libros. En cuanto al tema principal de este libro: la tan trillada historia de una casa encantada. Un matrimonio junto a sus dos hijos deciden mudarse a una casa que recientemente han heredado de un pariente que no conocían; sucesos paranormales y dosis ...more
Tara Lynn
I'm an 80's kid, and I grew up loving the Goosebumps and Fear Street books by R.L. Stine. Scholastic book clubs used to send a flier out to middle school students and teachers every quarter to purchase new books for home or the classroom. I used to beg my mother for two or three new ones every few months until she finally gave in and signed me up for the R.L. Stine Fear Street book club, that used to send books to the house every month. (I'm a geek, I admit it AGAIN without shame.)
☣Lynn☣
Jun 18, 2014 ☣Lynn☣ marked it as to-read
I think I'm going to try and read all of the original books in October. :) CAN'T WAIT
Daniella
Jul 16, 2010 Daniella rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who like scary stories
One of the better installments in Stine's series, I think. It was actually pretty gruesome; first Amanda's dream, and then all the talk about skin falling off and skulls cracking open and bones disintegrating. Yum. It doesn't really go into great detail, but I still sat here with an "ew" look on my face as I was reading, so I imagine it should be gross and scary enough for the book's target audience. Also, for once it wasn't completely predictable. When Petey started going crazy, and with all th ...more
Alexandria
Danny
Ahhh, the Goosebump days. I would borrow so many of these from the library they seriously considered extending my limit of books checked out at one time. R.L. Stine you were a reprieve from a harsh and dreary childhood in which my mind wandered far away from the troubles of the day. I stole books into my bed and read far into the night by the faintest of lights. I might have better eyesight were it not for you; however, I regret not one page or line.
Kristine
As part of my attempt to relive my childhood, my son and I embarked on tackling the Goosebumps series by R.L. Stine. Unlike the Fear Street series, I know I read the first forty or so books when they first came out and I remember enjoying them and somewhat the television version. As we started Welcome to Dead House, I found myself struggling to recall what the punchline was. In fact, by reading one or two chapters a night, we both found ourselves wishing the book would get to a more interesting ...more
Tripfontaine
This was really good considering it is a children's book. It was actually kind of scary.
Άρτεμις Βελούδου-Αποκότου
Η κάθε περιπέτεια μοναδική, η δημιουργική πένα του R.L. Stine χρησιμοποιεί μύθους, θρύλους, συνομωσιολογικές θεωρίες και άλλα συστατικά από το αστείρευτο κελάρι της λογοτεχνίας τρόμου.
Οι ιστορίες είναι δοσμένες με κινηματογραφικό τρόπο, με ποικιλία χαρακτήρων, ιδιοσυγκρασιών και ταπεραμέντου στους διάφορους πρωταγωνιστές, και με υπέροχο χιούμορ.
Αφενός, σε εισάγει πάντα σε μια έντονα Αμερικανική ατμόσφαιρα. Αφετέρου, υπάρχουν πολλά θέματα –εκτός των μεταφυσικών- που θίγονται όσο αφορά τις ζωές τω
Benjamin Stahl
Had this been a Stephen King book, then I would have been very upset. But as it was only Goosebumps - The Stephen King equivalent for smart kids and stupid teens - I really can't complain too much.
I knew that this was never gonna scare me. Even back when I was a child, when my mind had already been warped by films like The Changeling and Salem's Lot, I had always found R.L. Stine's series to be way too predictable; always following the same tired formula of ... false alarm ... false alarm ... f
Jennifer Maloney
I was in jr high when these books first came out, but never read them, so I was excited when I ran across this series again and thought I'd give it a go. So far I'm not very impressed, though it's possible they'll get better as the series continues, so I'll probably read a few before giving up (they're super fast reads).

This book feels very patronizing to me though, like it's talking down to its target audience. The kids in the story are ages 11 & 12, but the book reads like it's meant for 7
Kennie Morrison
Books From My Youth: Goosebumps

Horror is my favourite genre in everything, books, movies and television. I don’t know what it is but there is something about being scared that just appeals to me. My mom is also a horror fan, we even bonded over the genre when I came to live with her. The first movie I remember watching with her was 1986′s Maximum Overdrive, a film that was loosely based on the short story ‘Trucks’ by Horror icon Stephen King.

My love for the horror genre started with a simple boo
Kt
Loved these books as a kid! Read a TON of the series. And of course I remember every week getting together with my best friend to watch the TV series too. Kinda fun to learn that the series has been banned by governments and challenged by the American Library Association.

From Wikipedia...
Goosebumps was listed 15th in the list of most frequently challenged books during 1990–1999[61] and 94th in the list of top banned/challenged books during 2000–2009[62] by the American Library Association (ALA).
Becky
Goosebumps-Welcome To Dead House

Grades 2nd-6th

R.L. Stine instills fear and trepidation in his Goosebumps series from the moment the characters begin interacting with each other. The narrative structure is in chronological order. The point of view used is first person because the story is told through the character Amanda’s eyes. The theme of this story is about moving to a new town and having to make new friends. Many children have experienced the anxiety that occurs when put into an unfamiliar
Josiah
This is a very good beginning to the series of books that launched R.L. Stine to stardom as "The most popular author in America."
Welcome to Dead House is definitely a more than serviceable scary story. The elements that eventually jelled to form the entire Goosebumps series are not all at full maturity here, but in many ways that's a positive, allowing readers who didn't become familiar with the initial Goosebumps series until late in its run to have a new perspective on the freshness that thi
Samuel Barrera
I was really glad to have found this book since this was one of the few I didn't read as a kid and that I don't remember there being an episode for, so I didn't have it spoiled for me. I did have to sort of get reacquainted with the writing style since it's written at a lower grade level than I'm used to, but once I acclimated, I was golden. Perhaps I'm remembering it wrong, but this seemed like a much darker Goosebumps book than I remember the others being, but damn did I love it. I'm really gl ...more
David Santos
WOW the first book I've read in such a short amount of time since I was a kid. I used to love Goosebumps way back when reading was still cool and reading the first book of the collection. Made me feel like a kid again and brought back the good memories of sitting in the bean bag chairs at school during reading time or extra time or whatever "time" we had.

Good book, keeps you glued to it. An interesting end. But good book, not terribly scary or scary at all but still had me glued to the book. Can
Ashley Way
Of all the Goosebumps I've read, this one is not one of my favorites. I think the plot was predictable, even for this series. Sometimes Stine just goes overboard with the clues. I mean, when the ghost you keep seeing looks just like the kid in front of you and they say that they used to live in your house, well duh. I don't really get what happened to Petey though. Is if a vampire dog now?
I would have changed the end and made the parents vampires before they left and Amanda and Josh locked in t
sixthreezy
Reading this as an adult is an entirely different experience. The lack of too many descriptive words and overbearing scenes allows for the imagination to develop the story. As a kid, eyeballs rolling out of someone's head looks comical and cartoon-like in your imagination. As an adult, those eyeballs are doing a hell of a lot more before they hit the ground. At least in my mind... Goosebumps is going to be a fun and EASY re-read as an adult.
What are your favorite books in the Goosebumps Classic Series? 26 46 Oct 24, 2014 06:09AM
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Monsters: Tales to Give You the Creeps
  • The Capture (Animorphs, #6)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • Angelblood (Dark Angel, #4)
  • What Tomorrow May Bring
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)
  • The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11)
Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16) Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)