Start by marking “Medusa: A Tiger By The Tail” as Want to Read:
Medusa: A Tiger By The Tail

Medusa: A Tiger By The Tail (The Four Lords of the Diamond #4)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,092 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
This is Final Book (Book Four) of the Epic Tetralogy, The Four Lords of the Diamond. **** Aliens are spying on Earth from one of the four worlds that make up the Warden Diamond. But it is impossible to send agents to any of the four worlds because of unique microscopic symbionts that make it impossible for visitors to leave the Diamond. **** Seeking a unique solution, each ...more
Published August 5th 2011 by Phoenix Pick (first published March 12th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Medusa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Medusa

astaliegurec
Aug 29, 2014 astaliegurec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack L. Chalker's "Medusa: A Tiger by the Tail" is the fourth (and final) book in his "Four Lords of the Diamond" series. With the exception of a slight twist in the story, the main body of the book follows the same pattern as the previous three books. So, if you liked those books (which I assume you would since you're reading this), you should like this book. I'd like to point out, though, that the meat of the series is done in the Epilogue. This is where the whole thing gets tied up. So, defin ...more
Chris Catania
This 4th book is the least of the series. The earlier books had interesting stories with interesting and well executed morality dilemmas (about humanity, govt, hypocrisy etc). Each also adding a chunk of the 'meta-story' (killing the 4 Lords and\or learning about the aliens and their plans). This 4th book had a much shorter and less defined main story. The progression of the character from doubting believer to reluctant rebel felt forced, as do the relationships the main character makes (the thi ...more
Leah Speller
Aug 08, 2014 Leah Speller rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Chalker is one of my favorite authors. The only reason I marked this where I did was because of what happened, however the conclusion did not leave me hanging. The development of his character for each world was awesome however by this book I skimmed over the beginning till it drifted from the others. I do not believe that he needed to dedicate all that he did to the beginnings mainly because of the repetition.

Other wise I enjoyed the entire series and looking forward to the other on my to read
Timothy Boyd
Jan 23, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent SiFi series. Humans colonize 4 worlds around a new star and discover they can't ever leave due to microbes that can only live there that have invaded their bodies. Then the fun begins on each world the microbes alter the humans in different ways. Very recommended
Gustavo
May 12, 2016 Gustavo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional ending to a great series. In medusa live the ultimate survival humans. Another pure chalker with lots of reveals and a great ending.
John
Nov 05, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1987 grade B
2009 grade B

Series book W4
Julius Sūrus
May 25, 2015 Julius Sūrus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb series and ending with the twist!
Joy
Apr 07, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The life forms on Medusa bring us several surprises that change our view of the whole Diamond. This last of the Four Lords of the Diamond series seems as if it will be a disappointing loss, but ends with two satisfying twists.

I have Chalker's whole 5-book Spirit Rider series on audio, and that is where I will go for my next listening books.
Jim Razinha
Jan 30, 2016 Jim Razinha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Update 1/30/2016...Yes, I did reread it again. One more time and this will have to get bumped to five stars. One of best series Chalker wrote, and one of my favorite series ever.]

Nice wrap of a classic series. One I know I'll re-read again.
Harry Weinhofer
Feb 27, 2013 Harry Weinhofer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed The Four Lords of the Diamond books. I thought it was a different approach to "clone" the main character and have a book for each of the clones, each taking place on a different world with a different set of "unique" rules.
Dinofly
Nov 10, 2007 Dinofly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Forth book of 4. We finally find out the mystery behind the operations and the last 3 books all while waiting for the omen. The series is definitely worth reading and the solution of the mystery surprising as much as it can be.
Stuart Jaffe
Finally finished and Book 4 was, sadly, underwhelming. Up until now, the series has been a lot of fun and interesting. This final installment got bogged down in infodumps and became a real slog to get through.
Samuel Lubell
Dec 14, 2012 Samuel Lubell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Disappointing end to a four book series with a long infodump near the end and not enough on the characters when the three duplicates and the original are brought together.
Wendell Saunders
I finally finished the series; more to get it over than because it was really enjoyable. The last book was disturbing, though it was well written.
Bryan457
Love the series.
I remember it having a great ending.
Time to read it again & see if it is as good as I remember.
Nathan Langford
Mar 28, 2011 Nathan Langford rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It would have been better to publish the four books in one volume - but I guess they had to make money.
Jeff C.
Aug 04, 2012 Jeff C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See review of "Lilith: A Snake in the Grass(The Four Lords of the Diamond)" book 1
Randy
Jul 21, 2009 Randy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
nah.
Michael Hegwood
Michael Hegwood rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Tonya
Tonya marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Todd Warren
Todd Warren rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
IM Bonetti
IM Bonetti rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
David
David added it
May 08, 2016
Mike Lipinski
Mike Lipinski rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Ssitha
Ssitha marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Scifimoth
Scifimoth rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
  • Chaining the Lady (Cluster, #2)
  • Star Hunters
  • The Web Between the Worlds
  • Planet of No Return
  • The Trophy
  • Quantum Leap: The Novel
  • Roger Zelazny's Shadows of Amber (Amber)
  • Hunters of the Red Moon
  • Orion In The Dying Time (Orion, # 3)
  • Vindication (Cyteen, #3)
  • Behind the Walls of Terra (World of Tiers, # 4)
  • The Changing Land
Besides being a science fiction author, Jack Laurence Chalker was a Baltimore City Schools history teacher in Maryland for a time, a member of the Washington Science Fiction Association, and was involved in the founding of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society. Some of his books said that he was born in Norfolk, Virginia although he later claimed that was a mistake.

He attended all but one of the W
More about Jack L. Chalker...

The Four Lords of the Diamond (5 books)
  • Lilith: A Snake in the Grass (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #1)
  • Cerberus: A Wolf in the Fold (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #2)
  • Charon: A Dragon at the Gate (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #3)
  • The Four Lords of the Diamond (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #1-4)