Start by marking “Just Flirt” as Want to Read:
Just Flirt

Just Flirt

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  398 ratings  ·  47 reviews
It’s summer, sweet summer! Self-proclaimed Superflirt Dee Barton can’t wait to spend it practicing her Nine Rules of Flirting on all the cute guys who come to stay at her family’s campground. Why not? Flirting is fun and makes everyone involved feel good—which is pretty much the exact opposite of her relationship with her toxic ex-boyfriend, Blaine.

Sabrina Owens’s summer...more
Published June 19th 2012 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Just Flirt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Flirt

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. SmithThirteen Reasons Why by Jay AsherThis is Not a Test by Courtney SummersThe Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen
2012 Young Adult Standalone Challenge
128th out of 236 books — 870 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. SmithMy Life Next Door by Huntley FitzpatrickEasy by Tammara WebberGraffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
2012 YA Contemporary Challenge!
125th out of 214 books — 1,292 voters

More lists with this book...

Riya
Originally posted at The Teen Book Guru

Just Flirt is the perfect way to kick off your Summer holidays. Full of flirting (duh!), cute guys, bikinis, and a whole lot of drama, this will leave you wishing your Summer holidays would be as adventurous as this, but also kind of thankful that they're not... I wish I had even half of the spunk that the girls in this book have!!

Ever since Dee Barton's dad died in a spontaneous and out-of-the-blue heart attack, it has just been Dee and her mom left to run...more
Sara
I am not ashamed to admit that this book made me laugh so hard to the point where I began to cry. When I first began reading, I expected a cliché teenage story about romance. I couldn't have been more wrong! This book is so much more than that. It's about the importance of family, true friendship, standing up for yourself, correct values, and love.

But the best part of this wonderful and heart-warming book, is the fact that it taught me how to... just flirt. ;)
Marsha
This is a young adult book that surprises with its amazing maturity. It’s about teenagers but its main focus revolves around the adults around them, whose antics and struggles have deep and profound effects on their children. Far from positing kids who are determined to keep the grownups out of their lives, these are adolescents who realize that the happiness of their parents is essential to their own.

Mistakes are made—and how—but the unlikeliest of people rally together to solve problems and o...more
Jessica Yang
Don't even bother wasting your time with this book. So horrendously boring and dull that I didn't even get past chapter four. I mean, the website portions? STUPID. Also, Dee is having serious difficulty admitting that she is a slut, which, by all means, she should come to terms with. If I could give this book NO stars, I would.
Lauren
Bower's fun read about flirting - and the fun/disastrous consequences it can bring - is enjoyable and has a positive, unexpectedly feminist message. I loved it and so will teen girls!
Shannon (aka Readergirl)
If you're looking for a good summer read, this book will definitely give it to you. This was such a fun, cute story and you can't help but enjoy reading it. It wasn't overly complicated, but that's what you have to love about it. Sometimes it's great just to pick up a straightforward story about people and without tons of other stuff going on. It gives you something you can relate to.

Dee is a great character, and I really loved watching her work her magic on the guys around her. But almost immed...more
Gabriel
This book is about two enemies that still go at each other about the same boyfriend they dated. Its really funny and tells a good love story in the middle. It also has a lot of flirting.. The main character Dee, flirts a lot but thats what teenage girls do and this book really relates to the real world. Many people would agree with this book and say "Mhmm, heard that before".

I picked up this book because I wanted to read a different genre and prove these lovey dovey teenage books are not just fo...more
Krystal
Mar 03, 2012 Krystal rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc
This lighthearted novel was more than fun to read. A snow storm could be pouring flakes from the sky, but a reader only feels summer heat and sunshine. Two girls are the main characters of this book. They imagine each other as villains and are only connected by a scumbag boyfriend, Blaine, and petty lawsuit. The novel describes their journey as they become stronger and independent. A funny blog and friends help them grow into adults. Dee has never minded spending her summers working for her fam...more
Taherah
Originally posted on Books As You Know It

MY THOUGHTS:
Just Flirt by Laura Bowers is such a fun book! Laura teachers teens (mainly girls) the true meaning of friendship, emotions, gossip, romance, family, and everything else that concerns teenagers' lives.

The characters: Dee Barton and Sabrina Owens. Dee was such a cute, outgoing, and pretty likeable person. She went through some tough stuff throughout the past years. And yes while she may flirt to no end, her main priority is the camp, which sh...more
Hazellie
I really enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. It surprised me because I thought it'd be a frivolous summer romance story, which it kind of was, but it was more than that. I love how it addresses female rivalry, and why girls (and women) are bitches to one another sometimes. I also love how it addresses the friendships between girls, and the whole frenemy thing too.

There's also very good advice about how if a relationship makes you unhappy, then it's probably not the right one to be in....more
Bata123
-What is your opinion of the book and why?
The book Just Flirt was told with multiple points of view. Dee Barton and Sabrina Owens are the two main characters of this story. I think it makes the story much more interesting, being told from the protagonist’s and temporary antagonist’s perspectives. One of the reasons I enjoyed this book is because the author slowly introduces one problem at a time until there is one giant mess that can only be fixed if Dee and Sabrina “join forces” to defeat thei...more
Tiffany
Laura Bowers does it again! I picked up this book because I really enjoyed her last novel. The subject didn't appeal to me much but the dynamic characters drew me right in! I found myself rooting for the good guy and waiting for the shoe to drop on the bad guy! Laura Bowers can tell a great story! I can't wait to read whatever comes next!
Harman
I don't have much to say about this book, but I did enjoy it. I didn't expect Natalie to be Superflirt the blogger. That definitely came as a shock. I loved Josh? Was that his name? i can't remember and I can't find it. Either way, I found him to be adorable and he was really cute! The whole Go-Karting obsession made me totally fall in love with him. Blaine made me want to scratch his eyes out. he was a total jerk to Sabrina and Dee. Then you get Sabrina who should be able to see through Blaine...more
Pragnya Belikov
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars
This book really surprised me! I started it expecting a casual summery teen romance, but boy, was I wrong! To be honest, at first, it was kinda boring, but I kept reading, and I'm happy I did, because it turned out to surpass my expectations! And there's a HUGE twist in the middle, something no one could have ever seen coming! The only flaw I would say is that it got a teeny bit confusing, since both Dee and her arch-enemy Sabrina's POV alternate throughout the book... Th...more
Reilly
When I picked up this book, I was honestly just looking for a fluff piece, something that I wouldn't get too emotionally attached to. I didn't give it enough credit. I LOVED this book, I read it within eleven hours, basically all day, and it was great. Fantastic character development, interesting plot twists, touching on themes such as assumption and a woman's role in society, but sort of sugarcoated. It was funny and not too serious, which was exactly what I needed. The author really does well...more
Avon Bernabe
I was looking for more romance! Not flirting, because it sure has lots of it. Lol. :D

Anyway, Just Flirt is not just as simple as its title. You'd be bombarded with heavy/semi-heavy issues that will keep you frustrated. It's just that, it all started from a little flirting from then and there.

I enjoyed reading this book even though it frustrated me, especially that "accident" thingy. But somewhere along the way, you'd learn so many things. Don't judge anyone right away. Know her/his story first....more
Paolita Arce
Divertida! Ya saben, un poco predecible y cliché, pero muy divertida... Odie a las estúpidas de Torrance y Bridget
Leeland Mooring Freak
Pretty good. There were some funny moments between Dee and Jake, but that was about it. I'm not really into the books solely about boyfriend/girlfriend stuff. I like the slowly-falling-in-love type better, but this was ok too.
Ana B. Gonzalez
Un libro totalmente adecuado para leer en verano
Maria
OMG!!! This book is awesome!!! This is in the point of view of Dee Barton and Sabrina Owens. There is a cute race kart driver named Jake that likes Dee and Dee secretly like him but they don't know that. Dee and Sabrina are enemies and they both dated the same guy Blaine Walker. Blaine is a two timer. While he was with Dee he was also with Sabrina and while he was with Sabrina he was with Torrance Sabrina's best friend! There is something juicy going down in he Barton Family Campground but u nee...more
Kami
2.5 stars. I read this for my teen book group and expected to not like it at all. You have to admit it has a pretty chicklit-ish cover. I liked it pretty well considering. The girls in it were not particularly likable at first but by the end I kind of liked them both. One other thing: no swearing, sex, or anthing else--which is great because people ask me all the time for clean teen reads and it's hard.
Frezanda
Considering the cover and the synopsis, I thought this would be a fluffy kind of novel (the cover is pretty much misleading).
It starts like that but quickly it goes deeper and more serious. To cut a long story short, the issue this book want to bring forward is Girl Power. I wrote it as Girl but this term encompass any woman at any age ( Woman power just doesn't sound as catchy).

Michaela
The book really surprised me! I thought it would be a romance between enemies fighting over the same guy! There sueing was a little overboard but so many twists towards the plot made it so interesting and a compelling book! I hope there is another book an ill see if those words of wisdom for flirting really do work!
Relyn
Sep 15, 2013 Relyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens and YA lit lovers
Recommended to Relyn by: I love the author.
I loved Laura Bowers' first book so I was eager to read this one. I started it Thursday evening after Sloane went to bed. I didn't stop till I finished it after 2:30 in the morning. I had to teach the next day, but I just couldn't put down this sweet, gentle, wonderful story. Laura Bowers did it again.
Laura M
El libro me pareció muy bueno. Muy entretenido y divertido.
Me gustó el tema de trasfondo, y cómo la autora aborda el tema de que al final, no conoces la vida de los demás, y cada quien tiene problemas; que no es bueno juzgar y saltar a conclusiones.
Realmente recomiendo este libro :)
Anahi Sosa
I liked, but not loved. Just surprised me a point of history, That what doing lot read it will know from part I mean, but the rest was ... Normal. To pass the time, you know.

Although the author attempts to convey an important message, I think I fail at all, but I appreciate your effort.
Fiona
I liked it, but I think the ending was kind of abrupt and I never found out who Jake was texting all along.
Felt like there was too much crammed into some parts of the story though, but I didn't find anything wrong with the characters (confident, not too stereotypical or generic).
★Yosbe★
Es un libro entretenido, sin grandes pretensiones, con muchos mensajes EXCELENTES para las mujeres y su autoestima, de verdad.

Agradezco que haya sido más de eso que de el propio hecho de "filtrear" solamente, pero, de verdad esperaba un poco más de "eso".
Melissa
Dee has been burned by love and believes just in flirting. Sabrina is the queen bee now dating Dee's ex. Both girls hate each other. But when a lawsuit throws them together, can they get along with each other?

A fast, fun read.
omgeena
http://imaneenjaa.tumblr.com/post/335... <-- posted a long book review on my blog! This book is one of the cutest I have ever read! Oozing with girl power and life lessons!
  • The International Kissing Club
  • 37 Things I Love (in No Particular Order)
  • Radiate
  • Don't You Wish
  • Pizza, Love, and Other Stuff That Made Me Famous
  • Flirting in Italian (Flirting in Italian #1)
  • The Summer of No Regrets
  • Kiss the Morning Star
  • The Summer My Life Began
  • The Color of Grace
  • All These Lives
Laura Bowers is a writer, runner, reader, runDisney addict, SCBWI blogger repped by Stimola Literary Studio, and semi-empty nester now that her two boys are in college which makes her sad. And excited about her new phase in life. But still sad.

In the past, Laura's been a waitress, telemarketer, secretary, real estate agent, and during her broke college days, a costumed character at holiday parades...more
More about Laura Bowers...
Beauty Shop for Rent: . . . fully equipped, inquire within

“Relationships are supposed to make you feel good.

Relationships are not supposed to make you feel bad.”
3 likes
“Las relaciones se supone que te hacen sentir bien.

Las relaciones no se supone que te hagan sentir mal.

O culpable, insegura, avergonzada, paranoica, o sin esperanza. Bien.

Así que cuando una relación te hace sentir mal, culpable, insegura, avergonzada, paranoica, o sin esperanza, acaba con ella. Superalo. Sigue adelante.”
2 likes