Start by marking “With a Kiss” as Want to Read:
With a Kiss

With a Kiss

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,287 ratings  ·  147 reviews
When Liam Bates volunteered to visit lonely patients at his local hospital, he expected them to be able to talk back when he chatted to them. But, when he’s assigned to visit a comatose man, he soon finds himself spilling out his whole life story in an effort to fill the silence. It’s not long before the peace and comfort he finds in the man’s hospital room becomes Liam’s ...more
Published October 19th 2011 by Resplendence Publishing

To ask other readers questions about With a Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With a Kiss

Bound by Blood by Jourdan LaneInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceNotturno by Z.A. MaxfieldDeceptions by Jourdan LaneSacrifice by Jourdan Lane
Best Gay Vampires
28th out of 377 books — 551 voters
Truth in the Dark by Amy LaneDuck! by Kim DareCinder by Marie SextonThe Pedlar and the Bandit King by Kirby CrowThe Student Prince by FayJay
Best Gay books based on fairytales
13th out of 138 books — 296 voters

More lists with this book...

SheReadsALot
October - BMB Reviews Author of the Month

4.5 Hearts--*squees*

I definitely enjoy a good story with an abused character. The hurt/comfort element is tops...well for me anyway. In Kim Dare's "With a Kiss", she delivers the most sweetest, kinky story between a human, Liam and a vampire, Marcus.

Don't worry, no lame vampires here. The world that Dare created features a contemporary UK where paranormal beings are known and accepted. Liam is in an abusive relationship, his shitty partner - Ralph con
Serena Yates
This is a fairytale which focuses on what happens AFTER the kiss that awakens the ‘prince’, so to speak. It is also a great vampire story, and has lots of hot sex and even some love thrown in to boot. And, as if that wasn’t enough, we get to see an abused man come to terms with the fact that he is still a sub, despite everything he’s been put through by an asshole who pretended to be a Master. How can you go wrong with those ingredients?

Liam is such a great guy. Abused rather than appreciated, l
Virginia
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
5+++ stars

This book was absolutely, postively enchanting.

A young man named Liam who's in an abusive relationship spends his free time volunteering at a hospital. For six months he talks to a comatose vampire named Marcus, and on New Year's Eve at midnight, Liam kisses Marcus and Marcus wakes up.

There were so many things I loved about this story. I loved Liam because even though he's been in an abusive relationship for quite a while he's not totally beat down. Liam maintained alot of his innocen
Vivian
Another beautiful loving submission with a Sleeping Beauty/Cinderfella mashup.

A lot of intense focus on fixing broken Liam so that he can let go of the visceral reaction he has to dominance when all of his previous exposures before Marcus were abusive. Liked the story, but wished there was more meat to the plot. This is a character driven story which begins to feel like getting lost in a the swirl of the gentle cycle on washing machine.
Kat
Chelsea
That was wonderful, I have become a fast fan of Kim Dare and this book just solidifies everything I love about her stories.

This book is basically about Liam healing from an abusive relationship with the help of Marcus, a dominant vampire. And no, BDSM did not heal Liam, Marcus did, with patience and understanding and pushing Liam when it was needed.

I love Dare's paranormal world's and characters, there so we'll thought out and everything you want them to be. Marcus was strong, dominant (obvious
Lilia Ford
I am finding it hard to write a coherent review of this, so here is more an assortment of impressions.

This shared certain similarities with Duck!, a book I liked a great deal: a strong dominant male, a very submissive, "lost-boy" hero, great chemistry. Despite the paranormal theme and the magic kiss of the title, this did not feel nearly so much like a fairy tale, mostly because the picture we receive of Liam's abuse is so harrowing—the constant reflex to look for the door of a room, the compul
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
3.5 stars.

Very cute story of Liam, a guy in an abusive relationship, and Marcus, the vampire in a coma that he visits regularly at the hospital.

It was a bit hard to connect to the characters at the beginning, especially to Marcus. While in a way I understand Liam's emotional paralysis due to the abuse he has to endure, I wasn't able to see nuances in Marcus' behavior. He's "bossy" attitude grated on me a little bit, it took me a while to find his emotions.

I think the author did a good job at giv
Sammy Goode
Marcus...a vampire, bitten by another vampire lies in a coma...seemingly unaware yet so very aware. Liam, a gentle soul...a submissive trapped in a physically abusive relationship, desperate for love...desperate to be loved. A kiss, one drop of blood from a split lip, and both lives are irrevocably changed. Were I to winnow this story down to it's bare bones, I would tell you that Liam while volunteering at the hospital is assigned to read with the comatose vampire, Marcus. For 3 years Liam does ...more
Monika

4.25 Stars

Review posted onWorld of Diversity Fictions!

With a Kiss is a great little vampire story, easy to read, no major plot twists a bit of angst with Liam who is oh so adorable and of course that very sexy vampire Marcus. *sigh* I wasn’t really sure what to expect, BDSM stories are not something I’m drawn to fortunately this stories BDSM scenes are very light I found them to be sweet and very loving. Marcus, our sexy vampire isn’t the usual vampire the whole vampire premise in this story is
A.B. Gayle
I really enjoyed this.

"Duck" was the first long story of Kim's that I read. I appreciated the chance for increased character and plot development, so I was pleased to see another one of a similar length. If anything, this one is actually better.

Once again, don't read it filled with expectations of what a BDSM book is like, or a vampire book or even a Kim Dare book. Just accept the story for what it is. Like the ugly duckling twist of "Duck" this one takes the premise of a fairy tale and adds a w
~Lei ~  Reading Is An Adventure ~

I loved fairy tales especially Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty so, of course, I liked With A Kiss.

Reading to Marcus was Liam's refuge from an abusive boyfriend and even though Marcus was in a coma, he was fully aware of his surroundings and found him getting to know and care about Liam in a way he had never done with another person, vampire or human. When he learned that Liam was being abused all while Liam continued to read frippery to him, he was enraged.

Marcus went very slowly with Liam and to
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Kinda disappointed. I mean, I expected more from the woman who wrote Axel's Pup. Seriously, I loved that book. This one? Meh.
MandyM
Surprisingly sweet BDSM novel about Marcus, a vampire who has been in a coma for three years and Liam, a young hospital visitor who is trapped in a domestic violence relationship. The BDSM is fairly light and the author effectively differentiates between abuse and a BDSM relationship without the usual 'psychobabble' that some erotica writers use, (i.e. that BDSM can 'cure' mental illness/trauma). The story is well written and quite poignant. Recommended for m/m fans who might not ordinarily read ...more
Chris
Excellent kinky paranormal m/m romance loosely based on Sleeping Beauty. A young man who's being mentally, physically, and sexually abused by his boyfriend comes to the hospital every week for three years to read to a vampire in a mysterious coma. And then the vampires is awakened... This book shines in not trivializing the process of recovering from abuse.
Tully  Vincent
Enjoyable and promising beginning... but unfortunately, it went downhill for me after about 40%. Quite a bit of editing errors.
Corazon
With a Kiss is quite an unusual book. It’s based very, very loosely on Sleeping Beauty.
Kim Dare’s books contain usually more sex. But the focuses in this one were the characters and the story. The MC's were described with a depth I missed in Kim’s other books.
The main plot was about abuse, what it did to someone and how the involved people learn to overcome it and trust a new lover.
The abusive scenes aren’t described in detail, therefore the hints of it have a bigger impact and I felt deeply
Td
For those concerned, light on the D's and not a "yes, sir" in sight that I remember, not from Liam anyway. Nice reviews already, I'll just mention a couple of things.

I felt for Liam. I could feel his fear and panic, his insecurities, the results of being involved in an abusive relationship. Underneath all that I could also feel his strength and his willingness to explore things he didn't know existed about himself. Marcus was great. His surliness jumped off the screen. It was fun to read just ho
Sadonna
Marcus is a dominant vampire in a coma and his hospital visitor Liam is a sub in a horribly abusive relationship. After 6 months of visiting Marcus, Liam kisses Marcus at midnight on New Year's Eve and Marcus wakes up.

The remainder of the story details Liam's final beating by Ralph - his abusing boyfriend - and Marcus's desire to heal and keep Liam as his own. Marcus has never felt this way about any other human and he has a fierce need to protect Liam. I liked that the story was told from the
Mary
If there is a badge to be earned for patience, Marcus should get it. He slowly, gently, draws Liam back from the abyss and loves him back into wellness of spirit and body. Liam was almost gone, and even more than actually killed, his mind and heart were in danger of getting locked away. But Marcus recognized not only a man he could love but who was meant to be his submissive as well. All the steps that Marcus has to do to move Liam from scared rabbit to a man who is healthy enough to know what h ...more
Veronica /  V
Surprise, surprise 5 stars for a BDSM story, I must say it was one the most beautiful, nicest stories I ever read about this theme, apart from Liam been in an abusive relationship with that horrible human being Ralph, this book was perfect.
Even though, I must confess I skipped the part when he was abused,,,that is something I can't even read about it..

I'm not very knowledgeable about this kind of practice (BDSM)so, I really don't know if this is the way it should be, but if I was into BDSM, I wo
Riayl
Bounced back and forth between 4 and 5 stars but I'm feeling good so it gets five, besides I can see this one becoming a comfort read when I get into my downswings.

While it deals well with some serious subjects it also doesn't get terribly weighty or depressing with them, there was a nice balance. I think one of the things I liked best was watching both characters grow and change in positive ways. (view spoiler)
Heidi Cullinan
I got a pile of amazon cards at our early Christmas, and this was one I bought from that loot. Actually, I tried this as a sample first and it was the one I went back and finished because it I was up in the middle of the night and it was so cute.

A friend called Dare "BDSM lite" and that's really the truth, but it's okay. The book is actually sweet as all hell. Dare is always just what you expect, no real twists or sudden turns, but that's a lot of the draw for me. Very much a snuggle-into-your-c
Heidi Cullinan
Dec 20, 2011 Heidi Cullinan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People wanting a sweet yaoi-like read

Kira

I wished I had liked this more than I did. It doesn't take away stars though, that I didn't like it as much as I'd wanted to.

It's still Kim Dare's excellent writing, it's still a good story, but it never "Wow..."ed me.

It was nice, but I expected more, I suppose. After having loved Duck! to pieces, I suppose I thought this would be as good and was a bit disappointed. Some things could have been fleshed out a bit more and it felt a little too easy on how the big problems were solved. Also when I
Nic
A nice fairytale where Liam's kiss awakens Marcus from his coma. I loved the premise that Liam had been visiting Marcus for 6 months and sharing his deepest thoughts and secrets with him. I loved the idea that a vampire could fall in love because of this, something that would not usually happen. I loved how Marcus and his actions where portrayed versus how the abusive Ralph behaved. "Seeing Ralph and Marcus standing side by side, the differences between the two men were obvious - and they had no ...more
Vio
So very sweet, a cute fairytale romance. Marcus and Liam I liked them their relationship was fantasy like but who cares it was dreamy and lovely. Liam who is mentally scarred by his abusive boyfriend, finds himself visiting Marcus the vampire who has been in a coma for three years and suddenly awakens with a kiss from Liam. The slow build up of their relationship and the tenderness in which Marcus treats Liam is touching and beautiful. A nice love story that put a smile on my face!
Jane (PS)

For a book with a Master/Submissive plot-line, this is an excellent read. Dare has written this book with care. I loved the overall feel and motivations of the main characters and could really understand their relationship impetus and needs. This type of novel would normally have difficulty conveying love to me, but not in this case. I definitely recommend this book for readers who are a bit leary of BDSM plots, but want to give it a go.
Phaney
2012 June Review:

Ahh. *sappy smile*

I love this author. She’s amazing, she truly is. This book? A take on Sleeping Beauty, except switched this way and that way, involving a dominant vampire in a coma, who develops agoraphobia after he wakes up, and the beaten and abused submissive young man who visited him for six months to talk to him and then wakes him with a kiss.

So very lovely. Not as dire as Duck! and it did not feel as long as that one, but so beautifully happy and startlingly funny at tim
  • Natural Instincts (Instincts, #1)
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • Cinder (Blood Nation, #2)
  • Room at the Top (Room at the Top #1)
  • A Russian Bear (Russian Bear, #1)
  • A Thread of Deepest Black
  • I, Omega
  • Concubine
  • Thirty Days (From Thirty Days to Forever, #1)
  • The Elegant Corpse
  • Crying For The Moon
  • Deceptions (Soul Mates, #2)
  • Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts (Claimings, #1)
  • The Good Boy (Boy, #1)
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • Nowhere Ranch
  • Notturno (The Hours Trilogy #1)
  • Angel and the Assassin (Angel and the Assassin, #1)
Kim is a thirty year old bisexual submissive from Wales (UK). First published in 2008, she has since released almost 100 BDSM erotic romance titles ranging from short stories to full length novels. Having worked with a host of fantastic e-publishers, she has just moved into self publishing.

While she has occasionally ventured towards other pairings, Kim's first love is still, and probably always wi
More about Kim Dare...
Duck! (Avian Shifters, #1) The Mark of an Alpha (Pack Discipline, #1) Ryland's Sacrifice (Thrown to the Lions, #1) Magpie (Avian Shifters, #2) Ellery's Duty (Thrown to the Lions, #3)

“ 'My problem was comparatively simple,' Marcus said. 'One kiss was enough to solve it. But that doesn't mean one kiss is enough to wake everyone up and end every nightmare. [...] That's okay,' Marcus whispered to him. 'One kiss doesn't need to be enough to let you know that the nightmare is really over.'

Liam swallowed rapidly, the world around him becoming embarrassingly misty.

'I'm not going anywhere,' Marcus promised. 'There'll be as many kisses as you need.'

Tilting Liam's head back, Marcus dipped his head and brought their lips together one more time. Liam sighed softly into the kiss and, very slowly, woke up just a little bit more.”
1 likes