Start by marking “Chicken Chicken (Goosebumps, #53)” as Want to Read:
Chicken Chicken (Goosebumps, #53)

Chicken Chicken (Goosebumps #53)

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,000 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
They're baa-ack! Make way for the bestselling children's series of all time! With a fresh new look, GOOSEBUMPS is set to scare a whole new generation of kids. So reader beware—you're in for a scare!

Everyone in Goshen Falls knows about weird Vanessa. She dresses all in black. Wears black lipstick. And puts spells on people. At least, that's what they say.

Crystal and her bro
Published February 2007 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Chicken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Chicken

Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
This is widely regarded as the worst book in the original Goosebumps series.

I appreciate Stine's attempt to bring us to Farmland, America - I really do, but this was a mistake. Crystal and her little brother Cole live on a farm with her back-to-the-earth parents, who previously lived in NYC. The kids hate chickens, but chickens are a part of their parents "dream" of living on a farm.

I actually know people like this, so far, so good.

Cole is a complete brat with no redeeming values - typical of th
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Όχι!!! Απλά, καθαρά και ξάστερα... Το βιβλίο αυτό νομίζω πως παίζει με τη νοημοσύνη του αναγνώστη, την οποία μάλλον υποβιβάζει. Αρνούμαι μέχρι και να το αναπτύξω περισσότερο. Είναι σπατάλη χρόνου και φαιάς ουσίας, για κάτι που ήδη μου έκαψε αρκετά εγκεφαλικά κύτταρα. Να θυμάστε μόνο αυτό... Ναι, δεν πρέπει να κρίνουμε ένα βιβλίο από το εξώφυλλο, αλλά καμιά φορά, μας προετοιμάζει για το βλακώδες περιεχόμενό του.
jessica chen
Nov 08, 2007 jessica chen rated it really liked it
it felt wierd for me to read a goosebump book at my age, but, it was a good book. remember to have your manners around people who are goth or emo. :) lol. jk jk
Sarah Marie
3 stars. I think that I've read this before. A lot of the scenes felt so familiar. Review to coome.
Preston Ragan
Aug 29, 2015 Preston Ragan rated it it was amazing
It's funnie that's all I can say
Cedric
Jul 23, 2016 Cedric rated it did not like it
Stupid ending
Aurora Dimitre
So, this book was actually kind of horrifying. And that was actually kind of why I gave it five stars, because I couldn't read this one straight through, because it was absolutely disgusting.

The thing is, it's a pretty typical Goosebumps book, with the bad cliffhanger chapters, the twist ending, the one-boy-one-girl main characters, basically everything. It fulfills everything that a normal Goosebumps book has, but then it sort of cranks it up to eleven with, you know, graphic descriptions of
King Book
Jun 10, 2014 King Book rated it liked it
PLOT: Crystal Sanders and her younger brother, Cole, live on a farm in a small town by the name of Goshen Falls. Their parents have always wanted chickens in their farm and Cole and Crystal are forced to take care of the chickens turn by turn. In this small town, there lives a weird woman named Vanessa who always dresses in black and, despite her young appearance, is actually a spinster. According to Crystal, Vanessa is said to have magic powers and has used them on children whoever pulled prank ...more
Cory
Jun 13, 2011 Cory rated it it was amazing
Crystal and Cole are brothers and sisters who live on a farm. One day they magically become chickens because of a scary witch like lady named Vanessa.

I really enjoyed how humorous this book was because of the clucking. She couldn't speak 3 words without clucking haha! The book gives great things for you if you like people becoming chickens.
Yu Ting Zhu
Nov 18, 2011 Yu Ting Zhu rated it liked it
In this book it tells that the girl Crystal and her brother Cole are turning to a chicken because they are putting the water into a weird and unwelcome woman's mailbox who knows how to use the magic. I am very enjoy by reading Goosebumps, although I think that the Chinese form is more interesting and scared.
Patrick
Nov 02, 2009 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Goosebumps. This is the series that kept me reading through my childhood. More than any other series, Goosebumps kept me interested in reading, and R.L. Stein is a wonderful children's writer. I applaud his efforts, and can't express enough my gratitude for the series.
Colton
Nov 13, 2015 Colton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2015
In celebration after seeing the movie (which was spectacular) I decided to bite the bullet and read this, regarded as the worst of the original Goosebumps series. To be honest, there were other books that I've hated far worse than this one, but its still strictly one-star material. It's another one of Stine's transformation books, where the entire plot is just a kid slowly transforming into something grotesque. As such, it just feels rehashed and boring. It's just like Say Cheese & Die Again ...more
Connie
Source: I borrowed this book online via Openlibrary.
Cost: Free

Title: Chicken Chicken
Series: Goosebumps #53
Author: RL Stine
Overall Rating: 2 stars

I have read about this book, I have never read this book.

And I have to agree with what everyone is saying...This might just be the worst book in the Goosebumps series. Like, I get it, but I just don't want it. I don't care enough about it to really impact me, I feel that RL Stine could have executed this book a lot better and we could've gott
Sarah Oldham
Jan 17, 2014 Sarah Oldham rated it really liked it
manners.... or you could be turned into a chicken. lol
Trinity
Sep 25, 2014 Trinity rated it it was amazing
Great book! I really recommend this book!
Arthur
Aug 24, 2008 Arthur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is as thick as thieves. Cluck. Cluck.
Nadia
May 24, 2015 Nadia rated it it was amazing
THE BEST BOOK EVA EVA EVA EVA EH EH EH!
Jay
Apr 10, 2016 Jay rated it liked it
"Chicken Chicken" is one of the most surprising book in the series. The title is weak and the cover is truly awful. There is absolutely no expectation that it will be any good. As it turns out, it's actually really good. And the ending is one of the funniest, although not the most highbrow, of the series.

In the story, Crystal and Cole knock down this crazy woman named Vanessa and make her drop all of her groceries. So Vanessa mutters "Chicken Chicken." And lo and behold, they turn into chickens.
Charlie
Jul 29, 2010 Charlie rated it liked it
This book is about a girl named cristlle and she is getting hurt cause of a girl named Vannesa.

Its called Chicken Chicken, and its by R.L. Stine also its a horror book.I choose the book because I look nice to read.In the begining a girl named cristle went to a girls house to pull a prank and the girl came out the house and cast a spell on cristle. In the middle the spell she had put on Cristle made her like a chicken. At the end Crislte actually turned into a chicken for the resr of her life. T
Amanda Sheila
Mar 04, 2014 Amanda Sheila rated it liked it
Shelves: non-romance
As much as I enjoyed, Goosebumps series isn't entirely 'horror' series but more like full of imagination and sci-fi.

Just like this book. I can't say I liked it but I don't hate it either, so.. I think I just enjoyed it. But girls can be pretty scary, I tell you. Don't pissed them off. :)
Dustin Spencer
Aug 26, 2015 Dustin Spencer rated it it was ok
So this was not as terrible as I anticipated, but this was ridiculous.
A "witch" obsessed with manners?
A girl who despises chickens?
I was not interested in this book, but I read it anyway. There were some good points...but this is not one I am going to read again.
Greg Kerestan
Jan 25, 2016 Greg Kerestan rated it did not like it
Childhood childhood. Nostalgia nostalgia. Adulthood adulthood. Blog blog. Revisiting revisiting. Predictable predictable. Cruel cruel. Unfunny unfunny. Crap crap.
Philip
Jul 14, 2016 Philip rated it did not like it
Everyone always says this is the worst one, so I went in with really low expectations. And it was lower than THAT. Aside from not making any sense (even for a Goosebumps book) it's painfully written with characters no one could like and a half assed farm setting. Even as a kid I doubt I'd find this any good.
Veronica Ika
Mar 12, 2016 Veronica Ika rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
It is very common to have strange neighbours in your neighbourhood. Either they act strangely, do not socialize with others or create troubles in the neighbourhood; other people tend to avoid them.

Crystal and her brother Cole live in such neighbourhood; where there is a strange woman named Vanessa who loves wearing black from head to toe and does not socialize much with her neighbours. Children in the neighbourhood are afraid of her due to her reputation in the neighbourhood. But not Crystal and
Lanie
Jul 27, 2016 Lanie rated it it was ok
I vaguely remember this one. It was ok. But it was never a favorite. More of a "meh" feeling. Maybe a reread would change my mind. :/
Brittany
Sep 12, 2014 Brittany rated it it was ok
I thought I'd be creeped out because I'm afraid of birds...but the "manners" thing was a little weird. I did like how it ended, though.
Glenn
Apr 28, 2015 Glenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Currently rereading my original Goosebumps collection

So, this one was very similar to Stine's Why I'm Afraid Of Bees but with the chicken in place of the said bee. I can see why this is considered one of the worst. No, it's not scary. It's absolutely ridiculous and it's clear that R.L. Stine (if this really was written by him) was just wrote this one for the sake of it, as with many of the books in the series before this. I gave an extra star though because I found it hilarious!

Read from April 2
Mason
Sep 17, 2015 Mason rated it really liked it
Also funny at the end
Drucilla
Jul 18, 2012 Drucilla rated it it was ok
Shelves: goosebumps
Actual rating: 2.5 stars. The main reason I gave this book two stars was that the kids and their parents made me so mad. When the kids are turning into chickens, they either do something to make their parents not believe them or the parents don't pay attention to their children at all. The separation of child and adult/parent happens in other Goosebumps books, but not to this extent. I did give the book a .5 star because I really did like why they were turned into chickens in the first place.
Hmarkzon
This is one of four books that I have read in the Goosebumps series. It was an easy read and very easy to follow. If your children want to read scary mystery book. This would be a great book because it is a slightly morbid and twisted book.
I appreciate how Vanessa, the weird person in town, is the silent trickster in town. Morally, a teacher can teach a lesson on keeping your judgements to yourself, as well as to think about the consequences of every action.
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • Back to Before (Megamorphs, #4)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • Go Eat Worms! (Goosebumps Presents TV Book, #9)
  • Night of the Living Dummy II (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #5)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)