Start by marking “Chicken Chicken (Goosebumps, #53)” as Want to Read:
Chicken Chicken (Goosebumps, #53)

Chicken Chicken (Goosebumps #53)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  1,767 ratings  ·  45 reviews
They're baa-ack! Make way for the bestselling children's series of all time! With a fresh new look, GOOSEBUMPS is set to scare a whole new generation of kids. So reader beware—you're in for a scare!

Everyone in Goshen Falls knows about weird Vanessa. She dresses all in black. Wears black lipstick. And puts spells on people. At least, that's what they say.

Crystal and her bro
Published February 2007 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Chicken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Chicken

This is widely regarded as the worst book in the original Goosebumps series.

I appreciate Stine's attempt to bring us to Farmland, America - I really do, but this was a mistake. Crystal and her little brother Cole live on a farm with her back-to-the-earth parents, who previously lived in NYC. The kids hate chickens, but chickens are a part of their parents "dream" of living on a farm.

I actually know people like this, so far, so good.

Cole is a complete brat with no redeeming values - typical of th
jessica chen
it felt wierd for me to read a goosebump book at my age, but, it was a good book. remember to have your manners around people who are goth or emo. :) lol. jk jk
Preston Ragan
It's funnie that's all I can say
King Book
PLOT: Crystal Sanders and her younger brother, Cole, live on a farm in a small town by the name of Goshen Falls. Their parents have always wanted chickens in their farm and Cole and Crystal are forced to take care of the chickens turn by turn. In this small town, there lives a weird woman named Vanessa who always dresses in black and, despite her young appearance, is actually a spinster. According to Crystal, Vanessa is said to have magic powers and has used them on children whoever pulled prank ...more
Crystal and Cole are brothers and sisters who live on a farm. One day they magically become chickens because of a scary witch like lady named Vanessa.

I really enjoyed how humorous this book was because of the clucking. She couldn't speak 3 words without clucking haha! The book gives great things for you if you like people becoming chickens.
Yu Ting Zhu
In this book it tells that the girl Crystal and her brother Cole are turning to a chicken because they are putting the water into a weird and unwelcome woman's mailbox who knows how to use the magic. I am very enjoy by reading Goosebumps, although I think that the Chinese form is more interesting and scared.
Goosebumps. This is the series that kept me reading through my childhood. More than any other series, Goosebumps kept me interested in reading, and R.L. Stein is a wonderful children's writer. I applaud his efforts, and can't express enough my gratitude for the series.
Sarah Oldham
manners.... or you could be turned into a chicken. lol
Great book! I really recommend this book!
This book is as thick as thieves. Cluck. Cluck.
This book is about a girl named cristlle and she is getting hurt cause of a girl named Vannesa.

Its called Chicken Chicken, and its by R.L. Stine also its a horror book.I choose the book because I look nice to read.In the begining a girl named cristle went to a girls house to pull a prank and the girl came out the house and cast a spell on cristle. In the middle the spell she had put on Cristle made her like a chicken. At the end Crislte actually turned into a chicken for the resr of her life. T
Amanda Sheila
As much as I enjoyed, Goosebumps series isn't entirely 'horror' series but more like full of imagination and sci-fi.

Just like this book. I can't say I liked it but I don't hate it either, so.. I think I just enjoyed it. But girls can be pretty scary, I tell you. Don't pissed them off. :)
Dustin Spencer
So this was not as terrible as I anticipated, but this was ridiculous.
A "witch" obsessed with manners?
A girl who despises chickens?
I was not interested in this book, but I read it anyway. There were some good points...but this is not one I am going to read again.
I thought I'd be creeped out because I'm afraid of birds...but the "manners" thing was a little weird. I did like how it ended, though.
Siddharth Chakravarthy
A Quick Read.
Wasn't that much gripping, Yet It was OKAY :)
Currently rereading my original Goosebumps collection

So, this one was very similar to Stine's Why I'm Afraid Of Bees but with the chicken in place of the said bee. I can see why this is considered one of the worst. No, it's not scary. It's absolutely ridiculous and it's clear that R.L. Stine (if this really was written by him) was just wrote this one for the sake of it, as with many of the books in the series before this. I gave an extra star though because I found it hilarious!

Read from April 2
Also funny at the end
Actual rating: 2.5 stars. The main reason I gave this book two stars was that the kids and their parents made me so mad. When the kids are turning into chickens, they either do something to make their parents not believe them or the parents don't pay attention to their children at all. The separation of child and adult/parent happens in other Goosebumps books, but not to this extent. I did give the book a .5 star because I really did like why they were turned into chickens in the first place.
This is one of four books that I have read in the Goosebumps series. It was an easy read and very easy to follow. If your children want to read scary mystery book. This would be a great book because it is a slightly morbid and twisted book.
I appreciate how Vanessa, the weird person in town, is the silent trickster in town. Morally, a teacher can teach a lesson on keeping your judgements to yourself, as well as to think about the consequences of every action.
Well this book is funnny, it is about this girl and her friends who tease this woman that lives in the neighbor hood and the bother her and the woman put a spell on the girl to turn into a chicken and she turns her in to a chicken. Then she went the womans house and the woman told her if she tells her friend to leave her alone and she will turn her back, and she said deal. Good book.
Andrea Labonte
Cole and Crystal were afraid of Vanessa the girl down the street. What was so strange about Vanessa? And does Crystal and Cole do something that they might regret? You must read this book if you want to find the answers to these questions and more.
I loved this book and I haven't read a goosebumps book in a while. So I had a laugh that was pretty good.
I love a good curse as much as the next gal, but by this point in the series the "turning into animals" shtick is a little worn. On the other hand I still have a fond place in my heart for this goofy, gross little book.
On the other hand I'll take the used up curse any day that it means a jerkface gets what they deserve.
I never read Goosebumps as a kid, but I was sent some as an e-book to read and decided to. They're utterly ridiculous - like a B horror movie made into a book. The writing isn't good and the plotting isn't either, but they're so damn ridiculous that they're great.
Matthew Lafrance
Well.... even a master has his down days. I'm not saying the book was awful.... and I know people legitimately afraid of birds and (more specifically) farm birds, but... I don't know. Corny doesn't begin to define this book.
Lindsey Crabtree
Jan 26, 2013 Lindsey Crabtree marked it as to-read
Shelves: goosebumps
I think it is a book when Vanessa turns the children into chickens if they misbehave at them. I want Vanessa turn my sister into chicken forever so I can get her into me.
Alysha DeShaé
"Horse horse." Are you feeling a little horse, yet? No? I didn't think so. Saying the name of an animal twice in a row isn't much of a magic spell, is it?
The entire series is corny, silly, far from scary, and bordering on stupid. But it's ADDICTIVE. It's a genuinely amusing series. Good for kicking back and relaxing.
Cameron Klassen
I like this book because i like mystery books, and spooky books. I like this book because of the plot of the book, and the ending is really good.
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • The Discovery (Animorphs, #20)
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps Presents TV Book, #15)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)