Start by marking “The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight (Goosebumps, #20)” as Want to Read:
The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight (Goosebumps, #20)

The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight (Goosebumps #20)

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  7,105 Ratings  ·  209 Reviews
Jodie usually loves to spend time at her grandparents' farm. But this summer things seem all wrong. Her grandparents look worn out. The crops are doing badly. And worst of all, she's sharing the fields with twelve evil-looking scarecrows. Scarecrows that seem to be coming alive...
Published September 1st 2003 by Scholastic (first published 1994)

Richard Denney
Aug 23, 2016 Richard Denney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS!!

This is one of the ones I didn't get to read as a kid. I loved the TV episode and this was pretty close to the story line on the show, which I appreciated. This had its creepy moments but I also listened to the audio book and the narrators voice was annoying as hell haha but I still enjoyed the book. Good old cheesy 90s horror! :)

- Richard
Miquel Reina
Dec 09, 2015 Miquel Reina rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, horror
This was the second book I read from the collection of Nightmares stories. Although I read it some years I still remember this collection of youth horror books with great affection, I think that Hollywood had made a movie too! ;) The history of The Midnight Scarecrow walk is definitely one of the best (though my favorite is still A Day in Horrorland). It's a book I recommend to all young people who like scary stories, especially for those who want to start.

Spanish version:
Éste fue el segundo lib
Carmen
Sep 27, 2014 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
This book was actually scary!

Jodie and her brother Mark spend every summer on their grandparents' farm. But this summer, things are different. Instead of just one scarecrow in the fields, there are over a dozen. Stanley, the hired hand (who around here would be called one can short of a six-pack), has been avidly struggling through a superstition book and sees signs of good luck and bad luck everywhere. Not only do the kids' grandparents look older and more defeated, but they've been acting weir
Nicola Montague
I mostly gave this book such a high rating due to my own history with it. Although anyone who knows me could tell you now that I am a HUGE horror fan, the scarier the better when I was younger I was...how to put this? A wuss. A major wuss. A complete cry baby. So who knows what I was thinking when I decided to get this book out from the library. Aged seven, tucked up in bed reading that night I read in fascinated horror unable to look away from the sense of dread (can one SEE a sense of dread?) ...more
Ken
Mar 02, 2015 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I needed a quick break, something light between reading tariffs and operating manuals. But, I also wanted something on the darker side and a little bit (or lotta bit) creepy. "The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight" filled that need.

This is the second book from the Goosebumps series that I have read, And, it is the second one to impress me. Both of the stories that I have read so far have been engaging and entertaining. Both were the kind of horror stories that I would have eaten up as a kid.

Not to dis
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Αυτό το βιβλίο είναι όντως από τα πλέον τρομακτικά της σειράς. Ok... μπορεί αυτό να μην ισχύει για όλους, αλλά προσωπικά με άγγιξε στο επίπεδο που έπρεπε να το κάνει, κάτι στο οποίο ίσως να συμβάλει το γεγονός πως "παίζει" με κάποιους δικούς μου, καθαρά εσωτερικούς φόβους. Όπως και να 'χει, όμως, το αποτέλεσμα είναι αυτό που μετράει και για μένα, ήταν ιδιαίτερα πετυχημένο.
Atharva
Jan 03, 2017 Atharva rated it liked it
A book that brings scarecrows to life and its called "The Superstition Book"!! A silly name for some imagination but it adds a great mystery to the book. Out characters as in are a brother sister duo. I find Mike,the brother almost like me, lazy and a fantastic gamer and TV addict. The book takes us to the villages and the Shires of Europe and the great climate there and all the tress and the farm/barn life cheered me up to read the book. The house and the barn seems like a great vacation trip f ...more
Connie
Source: I own this book.
Cost: Unknown

Title: The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight
Series: Goosebumps #20
Author: RL Stine
Overall Rating: 3 stars

I know, you're all probably really bored seeing me reviewing Goosebumps books okay, but I own them and I need to finish them!

Jodie loves going to her grandparent's farm every summer, but this year something seems off. And rightfully so, heeding the creepy warning that "The Scarecrow walks at Midnight," Jodie can't help but feel she is being watched by
Sarah Marie
The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight by R.L. Stine

4 stars

The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight is the twentieth Goosebumps novel and even though it's a later book in the series, I think it's one of Stine's best. I remember watching the TV episode of this as a child and it scared me. I had already been briefly introduced to Children of the Corn (I say briefly because I was a chicken and refused to know more) and the thought of corn stalks and rows already scared me. I mean have you seen Signs? I never want

Sydney Squidney

"They won't obey me!" -- Reading that line gave me chills!

When two children spend a summer vacation on their grandparent's farm where the corn is growing poorly, they never imagined having to figure out how to stop the coming onslaught of a dozen scarecrows with malevolent intent!

Yes, Goosebumps is kid-friendly writing, but this short story was still a fun read since scarecrows ARE scary!

Being from this series, it was apparent to me that the story's plot was definitely designed for the 10 and un
Tracey
Sooooooo why does Stanley get away with basically holding his employers hostage? They have never done anything to him and yet he makes them do his bidding and uses the scarecrows as leverage over them. I would have lit his ass on fire along with his little straw friends.
Weathervane
Oct 07, 2015 Weathervane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goosebumps
The best Goosebumps stories are made from what makes the best stories in general: emotional conflict between characters. The problem with Scarecrow is that the protagonist is confronted with nothing more than vague pseudo-threats, which she always takes seriously. Not until the end do we see any external force deserving of the main character's reaction, but by then three-fourths of the book has been frittered.

I've noticed this structure in a few other Stine books that miss the mark. Attempting t
Hannah
Dec 30, 2009 Hannah rated it it was ok
Ohh, that Stanley! You never know WHAT he's going to say! Actually, I always know what Stanley's going to say, and it's going to be something either dumb, or creepy. Stanley is Jodie's grandparent's farmhand, and this book was written in that quaint time not only before political correctness prevented us from calling him retarded, but they were just too polite to call him retarded. As Grandpa Kurt puts it, he's just "not operating on 100 watts." Grandpa Kurt's a little behind the times. These da ...more
Kevin Cambronero
Dec 02, 2015 Kevin Cambronero rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror
Al principio lo encontré divertido, pero conforme avanzaba se me iba a haciendo algo tedioso. Creo que Stine intentó hacer que la trama fuera interesante, y que quiso darle un aire misterioso, pero no lo logró. Los personajes son insípidos.

No me gustó el hecho de que del libro tan mencionado (donde dice cómo darle y quitarle la vida a los espantapájaros) no se dijera qué es exactamente, o siquiera el nombre; una explicación que le diera sentido a todo hubiera sido de ayuda.

El final me pareció
Ashley
Sep 20, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it
This book probably would have been a lot scarier 1~ if I were ten and 2~ if I were in the middle of a corn field. As for number 1, its Goosebumps, so I knew what to expect as far as actual dear goes. As for number 2, this would actually kind of scare me if I were standing next to a scarecrow at night. Go ahead, call me a big baby.
Some things I don't get. Why were they so scared? They're scarecrows. That's like being afraid of a pillow. Also, why did they let Stanley keep the book? That's pretty
Veronica Ika
Jul 24, 2015 Veronica Ika rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel
It only needs enchanting words spoken aloud from a superstitious book to make them alive...

Jodie and Mark spend their summer holiday on a farmland of their grandparents. However, this summer everything seems different. Stanley, a worker on the farmland, keeps telling them a joke about him making the scarecrows alive at midnight. But it should be a joke, right? Or a kind of terrible joke his son does to scare them the town folk, right? Or else...

Well, I guess if they could really make scarecrows
Javi
A mí personalmente me ha gustado más éste que el primer libro de la colección. Lo veo más real, más auténtico. El transcurso de la historia es creíble, aunque no haga honor a esta colección de libros de terror; éste me parece que poco de ese género tiene. Pero es entretenido, que es el propósito. A decir verdad los espantapájaros nunca me han dado miedo, ni comprendo cómo pueden darle miedo a alguien; hay montones de cosas susceptibles de dar más miedo que un montón de paja encima de un palo de ...more
Danny
Dec 01, 2010 Danny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comfort-books
Ahhh, the Goosebump days. I would borrow so many of these from the library they seriously considered extending my limit of books checked out at one time. R.L. Stine you were a reprieve from a harsh and dreary childhood in which my mind wandered far away from the troubles of the day. I stole books into my bed and read far into the night by the faintest of lights. I might have better eyesight were it not for you; however, I regret not one page or line.
Caroline
Jul 12, 2014 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scared me out of my mind to the extent that I threw it away from me and didn't dare to pick it up again until the next morning. Also has caused me to still freak out when the ivy scratches at my window. Creepy children's book causing life-long trauma? Mission accomplished...
Adam Hardesty
This is a book about kids who moved to their parents farm and find a haunted scarecrow. This book was ok it was not one of my favorite goosebumps books but it is still entertaining and great for older elementary kids.
Susan
Aug 24, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: goosebumps
I've seen the show of this one so knew the story. Not as creepy and well-written as other Goosebumps but creepy enough. Especially reading about the kid dressing up as a scarecrow with all that straw rubbing against his skin. Major itch!
Stephanie Gillespie
Oct 22, 2014 Stephanie Gillespie rated it really liked it
I remember really liking this one :p
Duke2026
Mar 14, 2013 Duke2026 rated it it was amazing
I think it is grate because R.L stine gets me scard with adventur and it is very clever so readers like reading his books.
Nick B.
Oct 01, 2013 Nick B. rated it it was amazing
Shawna
Oct 22, 2015 Shawna rated it really liked it
A fun, quick read for a creepy story.
Christy
Nov 21, 2014 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody who wants good scare
Recommended to Christy by: Goosebumps
It is supposed to be another nice summer visiting their grandparents farm, just like the in the years pasts. However, this summer Jodie and her brother Mark are in for the scare of their lives. In The Scarecrow Walks At Midnight the harmless scarecrow from the summer before is gone, replaced with twelve evil ones.

Jodie is so happy to see her grandparents, but they look a lot different. It has been a year so at first she thinks that is just the problem. However, she learns quick that isn't the d
Alexandra
Aug 01, 2016 Alexandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
re-reading this entire series has been such fun so far. and I'm surprised at how genuinely creepy some of the books are, especially this one.

the scarecrow walks at midnight is about two siblings, Jodie and mark who are spending the summer at their grandparents farm. but their grandparents aren't acting as they normally do. grandma Miriam is sad and forlorn, and doesn't speak much or cook any of their favorite meals, as she always used to.

grandpa Kurt literally stares into an empty fireplace all
David Santos
Aug 08, 2011 David Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goosebumps

I almost didn't get through the book. I think my ADD kicked in overdrive before I even opened the book, because I didn't understand a single thing until page 10. I think the books excitement was ruined right off the bat when Stanley admits to something early in the book.
Two things that annoy me are zombies and scarecrows, their not scary. Aside from walking funny they don't do anything, kind of like supervisors! I hate it when characters in books and movies act so sc
Rute
Nov 02, 2014 Rute rated it really liked it
Another great book. It's amazing how R. L. Stine can create such amazing stories using always the same type of character (a 12-year-old kid usually with younger brothers) without making them boring or repetitive.

I had forgotten how addictive these books are. You just can't stop reading them. You have to know what's going to happen next and when you finish one, you feel the need to know how the next story will be.

I don't know what I'm going to do with my life once I finish this series (maybe star
SmilingDork
Apr 06, 2015 SmilingDork rated it really liked it
My eight year old sister has been reading these books non-stop. So before spring break she brought this home to me and asked me to read it. Being the loving and awesome sister I am said yes and she was so excited. I read most of it last night then finished it this morning before school as I did my hair. I enjoyed it but it isn't my style. It was, however, a nice light read. As the book says "Reader beware- you're in for a scare!" ;P
reading log #8 3 6 Mar 23, 2014 01:56PM
reading log # 9 4 11 Mar 15, 2014 08:15PM
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • The Unknown (Animorphs, #14)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Monsters: Tales to Give You the Creeps
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories, #3)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)

“Gesundheit,” 0 likes