Start by marking “The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight (Goosebumps, #20)” as Want to Read:
The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight (Goosebumps, #20)

The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight (Goosebumps #20)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  5,846 ratings  ·  145 reviews
They're baa-ck! Just when you thought it was safe...the top-selling titles in the series that revolutionized horror are back with a fresh new look.
Published September 1st 2003 by Scholastic (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight

Night of the Living Dummy by R.L. StineSay Cheese and Die! by R.L. StineWelcome to Dead House by R.L. StineOne Day at Horrorland by R.L. StineThe Haunted Mask by R.L. Stine
The Best of Goosebumps
8th out of 55 books — 187 voters
Archie Wilson & The Nuckelavee by Mark A. CooperGregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods by Suzanne CollinsGregor and the Marks of Secret by Suzanne CollinsGregor the Overlander by Suzanne CollinsGregor and the Prophecy of Bane by Suzanne Collins
5th Grade Reading List
65th out of 152 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
This book was actually scary!

Jodie and her brother Mark spend every summer on their grandparents' farm. But this summer, things are different. Instead of just one scarecrow in the fields, there are over a dozen. Stanley, the hired hand (who around here would be called one can short of a six-pack), has been avidly struggling through a superstition book and sees signs of good luck and bad luck everywhere. Not only do the kids' grandparents look older and more defeated, but they've been acting weir
Ken
I needed a quick break, something light between reading tariffs and operating manuals. But, I also wanted something on the darker side and a little bit (or lotta bit) creepy. "The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight" filled that need.

This is the second book from the Goosebumps series that I have read, And, it is the second one to impress me. Both of the stories that I have read so far have been engaging and entertaining. Both were the kind of horror stories that I would have eaten up as a kid.

Not to dis
Nicola Montague
I mostly gave this book such a high rating due to my own history with it. Although anyone who knows me could tell you now that I am a HUGE horror fan, the scarier the better when I was younger I was...how to put this? A wuss. A major wuss. A complete cry baby. So who knows what I was thinking when I decided to get this book out from the library. Aged seven, tucked up in bed reading that night I read in fascinated horror unable to look away from the sense of dread (can one SEE a sense of dread?) ...more
Sydney Squidney

"They won't obey me!" -- Reading that line gave me chills!

When two children spend a summer vacation on their grandparent's farm where the corn is growing poorly, they never imagined having to figure out how to stop the coming onslaught of a dozen scarecrows with malevolent intent!

Yes, Goosebumps is kid-friendly writing, but this short story was still a fun read since scarecrows ARE scary!

Being from this series, it was apparent to me that the story's plot was definitely designed for the 10 and un
Ashley
This book probably would have been a lot scarier 1~ if I were ten and 2~ if I were in the middle of a corn field. As for number 1, its Goosebumps, so I knew what to expect as far as actual dear goes. As for number 2, this would actually kind of scare me if I were standing next to a scarecrow at night. Go ahead, call me a big baby.
Some things I don't get. Why were they so scared? They're scarecrows. That's like being afraid of a pillow. Also, why did they let Stanley keep the book? That's pretty
Tracey
Sooooooo why does Stanley get away with basically holding his employers hostage? They have never done anything to him and yet he makes them do his bidding and uses the scarecrows as leverage over them. I would have lit his ass on fire along with his little straw friends.
Hannah
Ohh, that Stanley! You never know WHAT he's going to say! Actually, I always know what Stanley's going to say, and it's going to be something either dumb, or creepy. Stanley is Jodie's grandparent's farmhand, and this book was written in that quaint time not only before political correctness prevented us from calling him retarded, but they were just too polite to call him retarded. As Grandpa Kurt puts it, he's just "not operating on 100 watts." Grandpa Kurt's a little behind the times. These da ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Not bad for a children's book. It has its eerie and suspenseful moments and characters easy for kids to relate to, and R.L. Stine incorporates humor into this book as well.
Javi
A mí personalmente me ha gustado más éste que el primer libro de la colección. Lo veo más real, más auténtico. El transcurso de la historia es creíble, aunque no haga honor a esta colección de libros de terror; éste me parece que poco de ese género tiene. Pero es entretenido, que es el propósito. A decir verdad los espantapájaros nunca me han dado miedo, ni comprendo cómo pueden darle miedo a alguien; hay montones de cosas susceptibles de dar más miedo que un montón de paja encima de un palo de ...more
Mehsi
Scarecrows scare the hell out of me, even the ones that look comical. There is just something sinister and creepy about them, standing in a big field full of crops. *shivers*

So yeah, I was looking forward to this book, and in a way I was not disappoint. It was at times really creepy and it gave me goosebumps, but at other times I was just annoyed with other things. Like the characters.

Stanley was so annoying. Seriously, one of the reasons to give this book -1.5 stars. If Stanley wasn't here I t
Danny
Ahhh, the Goosebump days. I would borrow so many of these from the library they seriously considered extending my limit of books checked out at one time. R.L. Stine you were a reprieve from a harsh and dreary childhood in which my mind wandered far away from the troubles of the day. I stole books into my bed and read far into the night by the faintest of lights. I might have better eyesight were it not for you; however, I regret not one page or line.
Stephanie Gillespie
I remember really liking this one :p
Caroline
Scared me out of my mind to the extent that I threw it away from me and didn't dare to pick it up again until the next morning. Also has caused me to still freak out when the ivy scratches at my window. Creepy children's book causing life-long trauma? Mission accomplished...
semsma
قرات القصه دي مع قراتي لروايه فئران امي حصه .. بالنسبالي صرخه الرعب من اسمها المفروض اني اترعب منها و اخاف بس مخوفتش خالص قد ما خفت من روايه فئران امي حصه .. ف الوقت الحالي الاشباح و العفاريت و خيال الماته ال بيصحي و يهاجم الناس والجن الكلام دا مبقاش يخوف ف مقابل الانسان ال ممكن ياذي اكتر من اي شئ مخيف ف قصص الرعب .. فتنه تقسيم حروب قتل مئات من الناس لمجرد اختلاف ف الراي او حتي ف العقيده وخصوصا لو كانت بين اهل البلد الواحد .. عدم الاحساس بالامان وسط الناس ال بقت تتحكم ف حياتك و ف افكارك سواء بال ...more
Jimmy Ele
Ah childhood. Those lovely days spent looking forward to the book fair. How magical and wondrous it all seemed back then. The new books, like fresh leaves all around us to greet us with open flaps as we dilly dallied through this word jungle.
Susan
I've seen the show of this one so knew the story. Not as creepy and well-written as other Goosebumps but creepy enough. Especially reading about the kid dressing up as a scarecrow with all that straw rubbing against his skin. Major itch!
Adam Hardesty
This is a book about kids who moved to their parents farm and find a haunted scarecrow. This book was ok it was not one of my favorite goosebumps books but it is still entertaining and great for older elementary kids.
Veronica Ika
It only needs enchanting words spoken aloud from a superstitious book to make them alive...

Jodie and Mark spend their summer holiday on a farmland of their grandparents. However, this summer everything seems different. Stanley, a worker on the farmland, keeps telling them a joke about him making the scarecrows alive at midnight. But it should be a joke, right? Or a kind of terrible joke his son does to scare them the town folk, right? Or else...

Well, I guess if they could really make scarecrows
Duke2026
I think it is grate because R.L stine gets me scard with adventur and it is very clever so readers like reading his books.
Christy
Jan 01, 2015 Christy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody who wants good scare
Recommended to Christy by: Goosebumps
It is supposed to be another nice summer visiting their grandparents farm, just like the in the years pasts. However, this summer Jodie and her brother Mark are in for the scare of their lives. In The Scarecrow Walks At Midnight the harmless scarecrow from the summer before is gone, replaced with twelve evil ones.

Jodie is so happy to see her grandparents, but they look a lot different. It has been a year so at first she thinks that is just the problem. However, she learns quick that isn't the d
Nick B.
Jay
The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight is an odd Goosebumps book. Maybe it's because I've never viewed scarecrows as frightening but this book isn't one of the scariest stories in the series. However, it is really enjoyable and would actually make a pretty decent movie.

The main story is two kids go to visit their grandparent's farm for the Summer. Unfortunately, everybody is acting weird. Grandpa isn't telling ghost stories and Grandma isn't cooking all their favorite dishes anymore. And Stanley keeps
Luke F
I recently read the book Goosebumps: The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight by: R.L. Stine. I thought this book was very exciting and suspenseful. It was suspenseful because when Jodie goes looking for her brother Mark in their grandparents barn at their at their house she gets locked in and is chased by something in the dark she can't see that sounds like a scarecrow! It was very exciting because when Jodie looks out her bedroom window the scarecrows are twitching on their stakes and seem to be trying ...more
Jerome
A suspenseful, mysterious tale. Many of the book’s gripping moments are offset by more mundane, typical things, a balance that Stine uses often and effectively throughout the series. One of the book’s main characters is a kid named Sticks, who dresses up as a scarecrow and frightens whoever he chooses. When a group of kids go to their grandparents’ house for vacation, Sticks scares with an arrogant impunity. Eventually the kids use Sticks’ tactics against him.

At the same time, the atmosphere of
David Santos

I almost didn't get through the book. I think my ADD kicked in overdrive before I even opened the book, because I didn't understand a single thing until page 10. I think the books excitement was ruined right off the bat when Stanley admits to something early in the book.
Two things that annoy me are zombies and scarecrows, their not scary. Aside from walking funny they don't do anything, kind of like supervisors! I hate it when characters in books and movies act so sc
SmilingDork
My eight year old sister has been reading these books non-stop. So before spring break she brought this home to me and asked me to read it. Being the loving and awesome sister I am said yes and she was so excited. I read most of it last night then finished it this morning before school as I did my hair. I enjoyed it but it isn't my style. It was, however, a nice light read. As the book says "Reader beware- you're in for a scare!" ;P
Rute
Another great book. It's amazing how R. L. Stine can create such amazing stories using always the same type of character (a 12-year-old kid usually with younger brothers) without making them boring or repetitive.

I had forgotten how addictive these books are. You just can't stop reading them. You have to know what's going to happen next and when you finish one, you feel the need to know how the next story will be.

I don't know what I'm going to do with my life once I finish this series (maybe star
Frank
Is someone playing a trick on Jodie and Mark? They know scarecrows can't walk and come alive right? Well as they visit their grandparents farm for a month in the summer, something they have done for many summers, things are not normal. Everyone seems scared, even their grandparents. Jodie seems to be continually bumping into scarecrows, even in her dreams. But it isn't the one's in her dreams that has her worried.

This is a real scary story. This book really delivers what it promises without excu
Jessica Freeland
Of all the Goosebump books I read as a kid, this one was the most memorable. It was really spooky and I remembering imagining the scarecrows coming off their stands and walking towards the house. This was definitely my favorite of the series. To this day, I would still immediately pick it up and start reading it again.
reading log #8 3 6 Mar 23, 2014 01:56PM
reading log # 9 4 11 Mar 15, 2014 08:15PM
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Monsters: Tales to Give You the Creeps
  • Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones
  • The Solution (Animorphs, #22)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)