Start by marking “O Homem Positrónico ” as Want to Read:
O Homem Positrónico

O Homem Positrónico (Robot 0.6)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,223 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Que tem de fazer um robot para provar a sua humanidade?

Quando o NDR 113 saiu das linhas de montagem da United States Robots & Mechanical Men Corporation, não passava de um cérebro positrónico metido num invólucro de metal e plástico com um aspecto mais ou menos humanóide. Mas o NDR 113, ou Andrew Martins, como viria a ser conhecido, não era um robot vulgar.
For a conceb
Paperback, Colecção Nébula, 197 pages
Published 1994 by Europa-América (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about O Homem Positrónico, please sign up.

Deguy It can be helpful to read the previous books, but not necessary by any means. The book can be understood very well even if this is the first book you…moreIt can be helpful to read the previous books, but not necessary by any means. The book can be understood very well even if this is the first book you are reading in the Robot series or even among Isaac Asimov's novels.(less)

Adam
Mar 07, 2012 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks-a-z
Post Listen Review: I love how Isaac Asimov came up with the classic three laws of robotics and then spent so much of his writing figuring out ways to bend those laws or to make things fit into them in surprising ways. This is a beautiful story of a robot who becomes a man. It sounds silly on the surface but it brings up large questions on what life means. Not only that, it is kind of astounding how many things mentioned in this book would have seemed extremely far off in the future at the time ...more
Alina
Jun 16, 2015 Alina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much, much more than just a sci-fi story, with links to psychology, human condition, subjugation/slavery, politics, prejudice, aspirations, etc.
"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"
Bark's Book Nonsense
Feb 17, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, scifi
Straight up scifi isn’t a genre I usually read but I came across a copy of this book on audio and figured what the heck? I’m in a bit of a slump so maybe this will kick me out of it.

So far, so good. It's set in the future where helpful robots are a reality. Model NDR113, or Andrew as his family names him, is contemplating a risky surgery when the book begins but we don't know what it is. It then flips back to the past a bit and we meet him just as he's settling in with his family. He seems to be
Salman Mehedy Titas
I had suspected, and feared, that this would be one of those books which would take a good story and build on it, just for the purpise of it, making the story tasteless, bland. I'm glad to say that this was not one of those.
Andrew Martin's story is heartwarming, whereas at the same time it rings of the truth, of the irrational fears and activities of human mind, and on the other hand, how the proper action by a few people at the right times could make history.
And Andrew Martin's struggle to achi
Lloyd
Mar 25, 2009 Lloyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1990s
The story on which this novel is based was one of my favorites in all of Asimov's robot stories. Asimov and Silverberg employ an admirable protagonist, some hard SF, and many parallels to our own journeys as men and women to churn out an amazingly readable tale.

This book is simply an exapanding of Asimov's story "The Bicentennial Man" (and a great one, at that) and probably my favorite work of Asimov's since I've started reading him.

Even if you're not a fan of sci-fi, this is one of those books
Jen
Apr 23, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Martin? The Positronic Man (Robot, #0.6)? Wait, haven't I seen this before? Why yes, I have, in the guise of the "Bicentennial Man".

There were a few changes from this earlier version, the most noticeable being that the story takes more pages to tell.

I saw direct parallels with how modern society struggles to accept trans people and afford someone born biologically female "man" status, the same as society having trouble affording that status to Andrew because of the nature of his creation.
Jeremiah Johnson
I really like the short story Bicentennial Man. I don't think that fleshing it out to novel length added anything more to it. I had a harder time getting through it than I would have though, but I still think it is a good book overall.
I find it humorous that Asimov was a visionary on robotics, but his vision of mankind seems to be somewhat lacking. He sees humans as sparsely populated striving for "quality over quantity". We certainly aren't heading down this path now, and I can't imagine we'll
Rob
Jun 15, 2016 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it. Asimov captures so much more in this novel than the story of a sentient robot. Within these pages, and with a surprising level of brevity, Asimov & Silverberg explore some hefty topics: what it means to be human; definition of humanity; slavery, etc

Fascinating stuff and written such that, besides references to clothing styles, really does still ring true in the current age.

Advanced prosthetics, lunar colonies.....all the stuff of grand SciFi, but secondary to a tale of the Human co
Alex Drozd
Mar 17, 2016 Alex Drozd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was off to a great start, filled with the familiar style of Asimov's other robot stories. But in my opinion it got quite boring in the middle, and deviated from Asimov's previous tales of this nature. Usually, in his universe, robots are machines, emotionless and stolid as you would expect a robot designed to serve to be. I have no issue with stories about artificial intelligence and emotions when such qualities are designed for the machine, but I can't stand stories about a robot that ...more
Robert Dormer

The byline on this novel lists both Asimov and Silverberg. I'd be very, very interested to know who did what. I've read a lot of Silverberg's stuff, and this doesn't read like his style, nor is the plot anything like one of his. And by "not his style," I mean clunky, anachronistic, and at times flat out godawful. The concept is interesting enough, but the sub-par writing really spoils the execution. Frankly, this is an excellent example of the big name effect in publishing - I strongly suspect t
Kiana
Jul 29, 2014 Kiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
واقعا خوب:)
Matt Smith
May 18, 2014 Matt Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting debate on the evolutionary journey a robot would need to take in order to be considered a human, mostly played out in extended debates between characters without that messy proposition of a 'storyline' getting in the way. Interestingly it seems that the robot Andrew Martin becomes human without ever really understanding what it is to be one, just ticking the boxes along the way.
J.C.
Mar 05, 2014 J.C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For such a quick and easy read, at least on the technical level; intellectually, it will blow your mind.

There is so much more to this story than that of an individual's struggle to evolve to an autonomous entity in a society that considers him to be nothing more than a appliance. Is he any less human or sentient simply because he was manufactured not developed? The story will have you thinking quite a bit about subjugation, slavery, autonomy, humanity, prejudice, and more.

Readers who have seen
April
Mar 03, 2016 April rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the idea of this book interesting, and there are several instances in which various debates about the rights of a robot are debated eloquently (both the positive and negative opinions). However, I found the book bland, and I felt these debates became too frequent and too repetitive. Additionally, I never connected with the character of Andrew; perhaps because of the inescapable Three Laws that he was programmed with, he seemed too good, too kind, too milquetoast to be interesting. He had ...more
Deguy
Aug 27, 2015 Deguy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Isaac Asimov is a legend who needs no kind of introduction and reading this book just makes one experience firsthand of the genius this man must have been. This book covers the journey of Andrew Martin, who's started out just as an ordinary robot that serves the humans with all their wishes. However, Andrew is no ordinary robot for he has a sense of aesthetics and appreciates beauty, even creates some. And after all Andrew has achieved, he now wants to be human.

But what does it mean to be human
Michael
Jul 28, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heart felt and complex look at the relationship and social integration between man and machine, as well as the uncanny valley.
Levent Mollamustafaoglu
This is one of the lesser-known gems of Science Fiction by two Great Masters of the Golden Age, Asimov and Silverberg. The book is an extended version of the story "The Bicentennial Man" by Isaac Asimov. I am not sure which author contributed which part, but the original story was fully written by Asimov.

The story takes place in the early days of the domestic use of robots (as narrated in the short story anthology "I, Robot"). Andrew is the only member of a new series of robots designed to help
Clay Haase
Jul 25, 2014 Clay Haase rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More reviews at thegeeklyreview.blogspot.com

‘The Positronic Man’, yet another of the many Science-Fiction books by Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverberg, probably has become one of my favourite books in this particular genre. Focusing throughout its entire plot on a robot who gradually takes steps towards becoming human, the characters and world are handled beautifully. At risk of starting this review the wrong way around, the narrative and practically all elements of this novel are fantastic.

The s
J
Mar 10, 2013 J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, 2013
The Positronic Man was the inspiration for the movie Bicentennial Man, starring Robin Williams. While the two have many parallels, the differences divide the works with two individual stories and meanings.
The Positronic Man is at its root the story of life. Repeatedly the process of growing, learning, chasing dreams, and eventually settling down into a tired resolution at the end of your days is shown. The main character, Andrew, even goes through this process as he gradually develops from a cur
Alex
Sep 22, 2012 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, 2012
A great story about the quest of a robot named Andrew to achieve humanity. After almost two decades in the service of humans, time in which he obtained his freedom and became the inventor of body organ prosthetics that enabled people to outlive their short lifespans, Andrew longs to be declared human. But the one thing that prevents him from obtaining his humanity is his positronic brain, the last original robotic part. After several attempts to convince the world legislature of his humanity he ...more
Graham Heath
May 06, 2014 Graham Heath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting, its a bit cliche but, Its really a book about how the 3 laws are not good enough, and the issue is much more complex. I sincerely hope we can push towards and through AI, with less fear than in this book. Stephen Hawking has some very interesting words on the issue in his latest words on
Pedram Behroozi
خب قطعن بهترین کار آسیموف نیست. نیمه اول کتاب کمی حوصله آدم رو سر میبره ولی البته کتاب از نیمه دوم به بعد بهتر میشه.
ایده داستان مثل همیشه جذاب و هیجان انگیزه. در واقع فکر میکنم این همون داستان پینوکیو باشه با این تفاوت که پینوکیو تلاشی برای انسان شدن نمیکنه و تبدیل شدن به یک پسر واقعی جایزه ای به خاطر کارهای خوب پینوکیوه. اما اندرو از همان ابتدا یک هدف رو دنبال میکنه و اون هم رسیدن به مقام انسانه.
آخرهای داستان مقایسه کلمات «روبات یک و نیم قرنی» و «مرد دو قرنی» فوق العاده خوبه. و البته جمله آخر د
Diana
Jun 05, 2015 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¡Me encantó!
He visto muchísimas veces la película de "El hombre Bicentenario" y es de mis favoritas, por lo que realmente lamento no haber leído esto mucho antes porque sin duda es una historia genial.

Está muy bien desarrollada y es muy fácil adentrarse a la historia,y sentirse parte de ella. Andrew Martin es sin duda un personaje muy complejo que siempre me ha gustado.

Creo que continuaré con otras historias de Asimov,ya que esta me dejó un muy buen sabor de boca.
Jon
Jan 16, 2015 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
About the first half is clearly inferior to Bicentennial Man, which was tightly and brilliantly written. The extra detail here undermined the ethereal quality, and I was less willing to buy into the central concept. On the back half, having more detail made for a more engaging plot, although in the end that didn't make up for the damage to the emotion. I also think the original works better because it can be read in a sitting, piling up gradually but inexorably in the reader's mind.
Abby Rose
It started out well and I really wanted to love it, but Andrew's conclusions about what make humans unique is way off base.....and pretty shallow. The real difference which both authors leave out of the story is humans various ways of exploring their relationship or lack of relationship with a higher power. No other creature spends time looking for or arguing against a creator.
Irving K Dick
Mar 25, 2015 Irving K Dick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muy fluido a la lectura, maneja una de las tematicas favoritas de Asimov, aunque su novela corta no trata muchas de las tematicas del libro extendido. Realiza una retorica de cosas como, diferentes puntos de vista, ademas que la historia es amena, el unico problema es que la cara de Robbin Williams no me la pude quitar de la cabeza
Neo-Death
Same story as the Bicentennial Man just with more details. I think the short story version is enough get the whole point of the writing.
I think in this case that the movie is better then both. The movie doesn't have the three laws of robotics which causes a lot of conflict. It adds in the love story and just flows better. Still one of my favorite movies!!
Leland Gilsen
Feb 06, 2015 Leland Gilsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an outgrowth for the short story and motion picture "Millennium Man" starring Robin Williams. The issue of "soul" is misleading in some comments. This is simply a machine that discovers it wants to be alive so badly that it gives up virtual immortality in exchange for the physical senses and the emotions of life.
Emilie
Dec 05, 2015 Emilie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third time I have read this book and as I grow older there are different parts of the story that I grow to understand more, however nothing in my reaction to the ending has changed since I was thirteen reading it for the first time there are always tears. Truly a great exploration about what being human means.
Tobias
This was awsome, finally I managed to find a short,
well written and entertaining book again. I think
I've never been that emotional about a goddamn robot
before and I guess I'll never be again. Andrews story
is so heartwarming but has so much truth about human
flaws and the folly of men in it at the same time. His
struggle against prejudices and ignorance was so
frustrating to follow because sometimes humans are
just irrational. The book was written 1992 but sadly
the topic doesn't cease to be relev
Goodreads Librari...: Combine edition. 2 25 Jan 04, 2013 06:55AM
  • Utopia (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #3)
  • Cradle
  • Mirage (Isaac Asimov's Robot Mystery, #1)
  • Second Variety and Other Classic Stories (The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick #3)
  • Norby, the Mixed-Up Robot (Norby, #1)
  • Tower of Glass
  • Perihelion (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #6)
  • I, Robot: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • Implant
  • Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy, #1)
  • Legacy (The Way, #3)
  • Narabedla Ltd.

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...

Robot (4 books)
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot, #1)
  • The Naked Sun (Robot, #2)
  • The Robots of Dawn (Robot, #3)
  • Robots and Empire (Robot, #4)

“Un nou-născut crede că el reprezintă întregul univers, dar greșește - așa cum își dă seama destul de repede. De aceea, el trebuie să studieze lumea exterioară lui - trebuie să încerce să învețe unde se află granițele dintre persoana sa și restul lumii - pentru a putea înțelege cine este și cum se cuvine să-și ducă viața.” 0 likes