Start by marking “Getting Lucky” as Want to Read:
Getting Lucky

Getting Lucky (Robyn Guthrie)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When a young reporter is killed in a hit and run accident, freelance writer Robyn Guthrie agrees to finish one of the stories the reporter had been writing for the local newspaper. But nothing is as simple as it seems when she finds out about shady land deals, an old high school nemesis, and Robyn's aging mother.
Published December 18th 2011 by Tyrus Books (first published November 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Lucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Lucky

Vicki Sansum
I read the Getting Sassy and enjoyed it. Getting Lucky is a slower read, I wanted the story to move a little faster.

The author is adept at keeping her characterizations consistent with their actions being believable. However, for me, there were too many coincidences in the plot to make the story believable, otherwise I would have given it another star.

I will probably read the next book, though, to see what happens with Robyn and Mitch.
Jenn Ravey
Robyn Guthrie is 40-something, caring for her ailing but sharp-tongued mother and stumbling through the complexities of a relationship on the brink of ruin. Her one solace? Her dog Bix and her job. As a freelance reporter, Robyn has a fair amount of autonomy until Claire, a reporter at the Fowler News and Record, is killed by a hit-and-run driver. Robyn feels a kinship with Claire because Claire was a dog owner as well and was actually killed while out walking her pup. Everyone else thinks the a ...more
Kae Cheatham
I'm not a fan of first person stories, but I must say this one was handled well, with no dips into third/omniscient point of view. I also like authors who have a good command of the English language (and how to write it); DC Brod does that well.

I'm really a fan of well-paced mysteries with intriguing, well-thought-out plots. Alas, Getting Lucky didn't measure up. Slow, with a lot of detail but not much action, it bounced around, with protagonist Robyn Guthrie's comments on everything and everyon
Rhonda
Getting Lucky by DC Brod
4 STARS
This book was about finding what killed a reporter. Was it just a drunk who ran her down? Or was it because of a story she was working on? What was she working on.
Robyn is having coffee with her mom at their favorite place, when Robyn gets the news of Clair death. Robyn takes her mom back to her assited living apartment.
Robyn is a freelance writer for the paper. She takes over the one article that clair was assigned and also follow through on the hit and run of Cl
Mary Chrapliwy
The book was an unexpected treat. I expected it to be an ordinary reporter-uncovers-story tale, but it was more than that.

Robyn Guthrie takes over the case load of a coworker who is killed in a hit-and-run accident. She finds one story intriguing enough to throw herself into it wholeheartedly, uncovering things below the surface that form the remainder of this story. I don't want to say more as it would spoil the plot for perceptive readers of this review.

Written in first person point of view, w
Joan Curtis
When I first started reading this book, I instantly knew I was going to like it. The main character, Robyn Gutherie, learned that a colleague had been killed while walking her dog. Robyn's first thought was, "How's Snoop?" That hooked me in. Fortunately Snoop was okay. That's not giving away too much as you'll learn of Snoop's fate very early.

Robyn is a 40 something, single, working woman who is responsible for the care of her elderly mother. She lives alone with her dog, Bix. As a freelance wri
Gloria Feit
The latest in the Robyn Guthrie series has the free-lance writer involved in a couple of story lines. To begin with, she is asked to pick up on a story for a weekly newspaper after the original reporter dies following a hit-and-run accident. The story involves a new development in town based on extreme “green” principles: almost 100 per cent energy independent, among other features, using solar power.

Robyn is obsessed in finding the one responsible for the reporter’s death and becomes overly inv
Richard (Bound & Determined...)
I have been reading out of my genre-comfort zone for sometime now. I have discovered series and authors of other genres that I am excited to continue, and other that I have disliked. Reading Getting Lucky was like a warm homecoming. Comfortable and welcoming like old family and friends.

This is a crime novel, but not anything like a police procedural. There’s a hodgepodge cast of characters, all with their little quirks. Some are stereotypes, others are unexpected, but all are just what they need
Jodi
Getting Lucky is part of the Getting Even series and a sequel to Getting Sassy.
Robyn Guthrie is a writer working freelance for Weekly News and Record in Fowler, Illinois and reasonably happy in her work-a-day life. When her fellow writer Clair Powel l is killed in a hit and run accident Robyn agrees to take on her story about a green community with the condition that she can also investigate Clair’s death.
The story starts off as promotional piece about Cedar Ridge with the interviews of the arc
Jaylia3
Freelance writer Robyn Guthrie has her heart in the right place, but she’s not above bending or even breaking the law to achieve her (mostly) noble ends. After a young reporter is killed in a hit and run accident Robyn is given one of her stories to finish, an article about an environmentally friendly “green” housing development that’s being constructed in her small suburban Chicago town, but completing the story becomes secondary to other considerations that Robyn uncovers in her investigation. ...more
Donna Barnes
This is the second book of a trilogy that author DC Brod is finishing this year. I had the opportunity to meet her last year when our Book Club had read "getting Sassy," the first book, and she came to talk to us and answer questions. Then, we got notice that she was book signing for this book in November 2011, so I went to pick a copy up and have her sign it. I just finished reading it. There are reoccurring characters, including Robyn, her mom, and Mick (from Book 1) --- this one deals with a ...more
Grey853
When another reporter is killed, free lance writer Robyn Guthrie takes over the story about a green community. Meanwhile, she's also trying to find out if it was really an accident or a story that got her killed.

While I liked Robyn, I thought the story was not only predictable, but unrealistic. You just don't screw over the mob and expect to walk away with happily ever after.
Kathy
Getting Lucky is the sequel to Getting Sassy. I have not read Getting Sassy and you do not have to read it to enjoy Getting Lucky. There is plenty of action in this novel centered on a freelance writer,Robyn Guthrie, who is trying to solve a colleague's death. The plot centers around a "green" housing development.

Robyn is a realistic main character. She is in her forties whose main challenge is life is her aging mother who is living in an assisted living facility. She is facing a future without
John
I had liked the previous Robin Guthrie book (Getting Sassy), so looked forward to this sequel, which in the end proved mildly disappointing. Her relationship with Mick seemed awkward, as did the land deal plot - one of those books that seemed a better proposal than final product; I was ready for the whole thing to be over at least an hour before "This has been an Audible production" appeared. My recommendation is to read the other book first, even though other reviewers have said the book works ...more
Ken
A fairly interesting Murder Mystery with a female protagonist, but this has been done many times before by many different authors. It's pretty familiar territory, and has been used from the Nancy Drew series, through V.I. Warshawski and Sue Grafton. If you are a fan of these type of novels, GETTING LUCKY is right up your alley.
The novel is set in a fictional suburb of Chicago, Fowler, Illinois. However, there really is a 'Fowler', but it is in downstate Illinois just west of Beardstown and almos
Naomi
I hate that I am the first to review this book on Goodreads, but I wasn't crazy about this book at all. The first thing that drew me to this book, was that it is set in an area where I live. However, I thought the book was really superficially written and the story bounced around. I really wasn't impressed at all. If it wasn't that I was reading it for a challenge and a committment to Netgalley to give it a fully researched review, I probably would have shelved the book after the first 200 pages ...more
Abigail
I really enjoyed Getting Sassy. It was quirky and fun, if not a little superficial. Getting Lucky was similar but not nearly as good. I found myself skimming to get to the conclusion and then was disappointed. I rated 3 stars because I enjoyed it over-all and would recommend it but I'm not going to rush to re-read it
K.d. Lassiter
Jul 27, 2012 K.d. Lassiter rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: highly
Not a doomsday machine to prevent, but one of the millions of greed motivated little corruptions that slowly eat away at the social and ecological fabric. Brod has reached full stride in her writing. Her characters drive the story and the place and people seem all to real. And easy, satisfying read. Her best to date.
Susan
Always enjoy reading books about newspapers reporters, including the huge world of stringers and freelancers. The writing is solid, concise, specific. While I admit to frustration with the aging mom and year for Robyn to set more limits, that part of the plot is realistic for so many today.
Jenine
The pace had me and I liked the conflict setup. The payoff was too clean for me.
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
B.T. Jaybush
B.T. Jaybush marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
K
K marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
DC Brod, author of Getting Lucky, has written fiction most of her life, but didn't think she had a novel in her until she graduated from Nothern Illinois University with an MA in journalism. It was then that she decided if she could spend 120 pages discussing postal oppression of the radical press, she could write a novel. She was right.

"Caper fans will relish Brod's offbeat stand-alone thriller.
More about D.C. Brod...