Start by marking “Blackhearted Betrayal (Shades of Fury, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blackhearted Betrayal (Shades of Fury, #3)

Blackhearted Betrayal (Shades of Fury #3)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  344 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Trust is a luxury some women can’t afford…

As a Fury, Riss Holloway belongs to an arcane race that has meted out justice since time immemorial. As Boston’s Chief Magical Investigator, she’s responsible for solving any crimes committed by or against supernaturals. But now that she’s going home, Riss has no idea just how dangerous–and personal–the crimes have become.

Riss Holl
Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 294 pages
Published June 26th 2012 by Ace (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Blackhearted Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackhearted Betrayal

Aurian Booklover
Oct 27, 2015 Aurian Booklover rated it it was amazing
After solving her serial killer case in the previous book, Marissa is finally free to join her mother in the Fury’s realm, and have her young niece acknowledged in the Sisterhood of Furies.
Instead, both she and her mother are being summoned by the Triad, the three Gods who rule the other Gods, to act as their Nemesis against a fellow God who is breaking the law. He is gathering other minor gods, and making them his vasals, and he is binding Fury’s to him, while they should be serving all Deitie
Tamara
Mar 04, 2014 Tamara rated it liked it
This book wasn't bad but it didn't hold up to the book that came before it. The characters were all there, and the plot was mystery/action again, but something just seemed off. The story was interesting, or it could have been but I just never quite connected to it. The main character was surrounded by all the people that had been in the other books but she never really connected to them in any real way. It felt a lot like being surrounded by a crowd but not talking to any of them. The thing that ...more
Marsha
Jul 15, 2012 Marsha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adults
Of the three books in the series, "Blackhearted Betrayal" is the best of the Shades of Fury but it also has the most convoluted plot. This book begins right where the previous book ended. The gang is partying after successfully thwarting a serial killer and pulling off the wedding of Penn and Harper. Now that the case is over, Marissa can concentrate on assisting her mother at the Palladium and her niece with ner new Fury transition.

While attempting to usher her niece, Cori to the Palladium, Ser
Michelle
Jul 10, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Blackhearted Betrayal is the third book in the Shades of Fury series by Kasey Mackenzie and an ACE Fantasy.

Blurb:

As a Fury, Riss Holloway belongs to an arcane race that has meted out justice since time immemorial. As Boston's Chief Magical Investigator, she's responsible for solving any crimes committed by or against supernaturals. But now that she's going home, Riss has no idea just how dangerous--and personal--the crimes have become.

Riss Holloway has taken a leave of absence from her mortal j
Stacy
Jun 22, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it
I really love all the covers of this series. Riss's leave of absence doesn't end up going so well. There is actually a line in the book that explains it best, She is now taking a leave of absence from her leave of absence. I was looking forward to seeing Riss with her niece now that she is a fury so I was kinda sad that that was put off until later.

Riss and Scott are still very much together and happy, they don't really have any alone time with each other but they are still a great team and stil
Paige Ellen Stone
Feb 04, 2013 Paige Ellen Stone rated it it was amazing
Well, for me, this is now a series to be read. This is the 3rd volume in Kasey MacKenzie's "Shades of Fury" series. There was deepening interest after I read volume 2, "Green-Eyed Envy," and this book fulfills the promise and justifies the interest I had in V2.
I find that what KM has accomplished here is well above and beyond the standard for this genre. This is a plot full of twists and turns and is so well written that even this slightly jaded fan of this genre was truly surprised at the reve
Kt
Jul 09, 2012 Kt rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession..

Leaving the Magical Crimes Unit in the capable hands of her partner, Trinity, Riss is taking a much needed leave of absence to help her mother sort out the troubles in the Sisterhood of Furies. The Furies are charged with keeping the peace between all the Arcane and Mundane races, and have always remained impartial. However, something has changed and some of the Furies are favoring a certain god over the other, bringing about the start of a
Jessica (a GREAT read)
It's been ages since I last read Kasey MacKenzie's Green-Eyed Envy, so diving into Blackhearted Betrayal had it's ups and downs. I tried to think of it as reading a new novel, but that doesn't always work when events and situations are mentioned from previous books. But I just did my best to read the current story and enjoy. And I did, for the most part. I think my lack of knowledge on what's previously happened prevented me from fully enjoying this one.

Just as Riss and her mother are about to
Mirjam
Jul 16, 2012 Mirjam rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Addictive and exhilerating are just a few of the words that apply to the Shades of Fury novels. In Blackhearted Betrayal there is lots of action and there are always unexpected twists in the story. Main character Riss is the ultimate sassy, kick-ass heroine with a profound sense of duty and honour. She is willing to make personal sacrifices to do the right thing. Although she is young for a Fury, she has already shown her worth to both her people and, apparently, the Gods. Riss, her mother Alleg ...more
Ami
Fresh from the 'adventure' of saving Harper's wedding in previous book, Riss (and her mother) is called by the The Triad -- referred to three Deities -- to find proof that Death Lord Anubis has been planning a scheme of deadly proportion. With her temporary status as immortal Nemesis for the Triad, Riss goes to the Underworld along with her loyal friends (her lover Scott, her half-brother Mac, and several others) ...

---------

At first, I'm a bit worried whether the story will be more (Fury) polit
Adventure
Dec 23, 2014 Adventure rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I read all three, one after another, while traveling home. As it remains: I love the first book, like the second, and don't know how I feel about the third. I understand where Kasey Mackenzie is going, but I don't know if I like (view spoiler) The plot is starting to become a little stale, especially since it seems like nothing is actually getting accomplished; however, the writing is still really great and I devo ...more
Diane ~Firefly~
This book started a bit slow (and it had been years since I read the previous one), but soon picked up and took Riss on a wild ride as she is made a Nemesis and tasked with finding proof that a lesser god is breaking the rules. Luckily she can take some allies with her on her quest to the Underworld as she will need them to get through.

(view spoiler)
Melody
Jun 02, 2014 Melody rated it liked it
Kinda lame ending.
Lisa
Dec 23, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
This series keeps getting better & better. This is the best of three books but also has the most convoluted plot. It keeps true to the characters thus far & still throws in a few surprises along the way. If you are on the fence regarding this series and trying to decide if you should keep going, by all means do. You would be missing out on another really good read if you skip this one. Can't wait for the next one to see what Riss and the gang do next....
Jul 05, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Loved this third installment of the series. Such a strong kick-ass heroine. Sure you have to leave reality at the door when reading this genre, but that is what any form of entertainment requires.

It was so easy to get lost in all the characters in the book and would love it if there were more to come. It seems like there could be.
Erika
Nov 03, 2012 Erika rated it really liked it
I liked it. The demi-goddess thing seems a bit mary-sue-ish, but then Riss wasn't totally perfect, so it was fine. The end was fine, and I like how Scott and Trin bargained with the gods.

I just find myself hoping my guess about Stacia is wrong, but if it's right, I hope they can fix it.
Shelia
Dec 06, 2013 Shelia rated it really liked it
Best of the series so far, if a little circuitous.
We finally get to see more about what's going on in Fury Society.
Not everyone is who we thought they were.
Hard choices must be made, deities behave badly, and, as always, plans are thwarted.
A fun read.
Megan
Jun 04, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this the 3rd installment of the Shades of Fury series. Kasey, the author describes colors and images really nicely, so it's easy to transport yourself in the story. Hopefully there will be another book to the series out soon.
Ashley
Sep 27, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
I liked this book. It was a fun ride, but it didn't live up to the magic of the first book which is a tad disappointing. Still a series that I really enjoy and if you like urban fantasy, then give this series a shot.
Misericordia ❣
Apr 01, 2012 Misericordia ❣ rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Who could have rated an unpublished as of yet book, and 1 star at that? Makes me wonder... I expect it to be of 5 star quality, if the trend continues... I'll update my rating as soon as I get to read it.
Sophie
Sep 13, 2012 Sophie rated it it was ok
third book in the series. ok plot but not great. (2.5/5)
Plus the beta readers/editor should have mentioned to the author that an overuse of italics undermines its utility!
S
Dec 10, 2013 S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rollicking good read. I don't understand how I missed the second book, but I'm glad I read this one. Having Ewa da Cruz in the cover doesn't hurt either.
B.E.
Aug 27, 2012 B.E. rated it really liked it
I had some problems with the beginning and middle of this installment of Ms. MacKenzie's 'Shades of Fury' series, but the end was awesome.
Jayme
Sep 27, 2012 Jayme rated it really liked it
Nice conclustion to the trilogy. Love the character of Marissa. Author did leave it open for another book, and I'm totally okay with that!
Erin
Jul 01, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
Freakin' awesome. Nonstop action, twists upon twists and a series that I'm addicted to.
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews

Sep 30, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed it very much.
Jacqueline
extra 1/2 star
A Million More Pages: 3 - Blackhearted Betrayal (Shades of Fury): Jun 25 11 20 Jun 26, 2015 12:33PM
  • The Second Draeken War (Combined Edition)
  • Sparks (Anya Kalinczyk, #2)
  • Dead Letter Day (Messenger, #3)
  • The Guardian (The Guardian Interviews, #1)
  • A Trace of Moonlight (Abby Sinclair, #3)
  • The Burning Skies (Autumn Rain #2)
  • Hail the Hero (The Hunter Legacy #5)
  • Deliverance (Mortal Path, #3)
  • Vampires Not Invited (Night Tracker, #3)
  • Shadows Past (Borderlands, #3)
  • The Barbed Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #2)
  • Vengeance Moon (Earth Witches, #2)
  • Terra Stands Alone (The Theogony, #3)
  • The Riss Challenge (The Riss Series, #5)
  • Black Lament (Black Wings, #4)
  • Changeling (MetaWars, #2)
  • Wayfinder (Worldwalker Duology, #2)
  • Blood of Innocence (Sloane Skye, #2)
Kasey Mackenzie lives with her husband and son in St. Louis, Missouri; home of the Gateway Arch, the baseball Cardinals, and the world’s greatest thin-crust pizza. Kasey was one of those students who always had her nose in a book—so no big surprise when she was voted “Teacher’s Pet” in her high school yearbook. Today, she is a voracious reader of fantasy, romance, suspense, and “soft” science fict ...more
More about Kasey MacKenzie...

Shades of Fury (4 books)
  • Red Hot Fury (Shades of Fury, #1)
  • Green Eyed Envy (Shades of Fury, #2)
  • White-Knuckled Fear (Shades of Fury, #4)