Start by marking “The Sapphire Flute” as Want to Read:
The Sapphire Flute

The Sapphire Flute (The Wolfchild Saga #1)

Rasann is a world in dire need. The net of magic that has held her together for eons is eroding and the magi can’t patch it fast enough to prevent disaster. Volcanoes spew, waters rise, famine and flood and desolation threaten the world as they desperately await the coming of the Wolfchild to heal their home.

Three women begin quests for identity and freedom from the ties t
Published (first published March 16th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Sapphire Flute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sapphire Flute

Candace Salima
Dec 27, 2010 Candace Salima rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Candace by: Karen Hooover, the Author
If you've not been a fan of fantasy before, you will be after reading "The Sapphire Flute." Uniquely, 3 women are the main characters. Two, Kayla and Ember, are pitted against C'Tan, and it is a battle to not be missed. As the Kayla and Ember learn who and what they are, including their missions in life, C'Tan does all she can to kill them in order to free her own soul from the evil guardian she sold it to...yeah, that's twisted thinking and it comes back to bite her on the butt in every way.

Thi
Jewel Allen
Mar 02, 2010 Jewel Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was all set to read The Sapphire Flute one evening when my 14 year old daughter picked it up and said, "Can I look at it?" I said, "Sure." I didn't see it again until the next day. She had read it in one sitting. She gave me permission to share her thoughts on The Sapphire Flute:

Very good. Creative. Lots of the same elements as other fantasies (ex. Tamora Pierce), but is fresh and "clean" (no inappropriate stuff). I really like Ember. I liked the different colors and the white magic stuff. Tha
Chantele Sedgwick
Feb 11, 2010 Chantele Sedgwick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't quite sure about this book when I first received it to review. After the first few pages though, I quickly changed my mind. I believe Karen Hoover will be one to watch in the coming years. The fantasy she has created was believable and amazingly detailed. I loved her two main characters. They were so different, and both were very likable. I liked the history she wrote about throughout the book, and wonder how the heck can someone come up with stuff like that! LOL The writing was great, ...more
Daron
Feb 15, 2010 Daron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe that The Sapphire Flute, Book 1 of The Wolfchild Saga by Karen E. Hoover is a story which will capture the imagination of Young Adult readers, male and female, although it may appeal to girls a little more. I am not sure where I read this, but somebody compared this story to the works of Terry Brooks. Having been a huge fan of the Shannara series as a youth, I immediately seized on that idea. And I agree!

There are a few parallels with the Shannara series, but they are not readily notic
Sher A. Hart
Sep 27, 2011 Sher A. Hart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
The Sapphire Flute is more than a magical tale—it is two tales skillfully interwoven around one world, Rasann, held together with fraying bands of magic long overdue for mending. If the white mage doesn’t appear soon, Rasann will fall apart at the seams and S’Kotos, the destroyer, will triumph. One story thread forms the warp and the other the weft of this tapestry, one dipping where the other raises, the mark of a sure hand at storytelling. Be warned, The Sapphire Flute is part of a series and ...more
Douglas Cootey
Jul 06, 2010 Douglas Cootey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
I reserve five stars for great books that inspire me and fill me with a desire to write. The Sapphire Flute did that for me.

Imagery was Hoover's strong point as she depicted scene after scene vividly. Her story's pace moved along briskly and captured my interest. When I read her prologue in a writing class two years ago, I knew nothing of teenage Ember or Kayla. What a treat she hid from us. Hoover helped me care about her characters and filled them with a warm light. They lived on the page.

Th
Alexes
Mar 11, 2010 Alexes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the descriptions in the book. I remember a certain description that caused my mouth to start salivating. Kayla was at a dinner feast and they were eating spicy steak. My mouth started to water. Karen's ability to have her readers experience what the characters are feeling is incredible. I enjoyed the intensity of the book. The main character, Kayla has a choice--should she play the sapphire flute and risk having C'Tan find her OR should she just keep it in her possession? This book is an ...more
Taffy
May 01, 2010 Taffy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
the book follows two different girls from two unique worlds.
They both have magic, families, a destiny.
Karen wove this tale well from the description of the world to the people who inhabit it. I could picture each person through their unique personality and voice (well, not one character since he didn't talk but he had personality).
I became invested in story right away and found myself rooting for the good guys (or girls) and hoping the bad ones are defeated. Or at the very least, frustrated.
The
Katie
May 01, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I think this is one of those “you can’t judge a book by it’s cover” kind of situations. Animated covers usually push me away from a book, so I will admit that at first glance, I expected an extremely childish adventure with no real substance to it. I was very, very wrong. The Sapphire Flute proves with beautiful writing, an engaging adventure and strong-willed heroines that this is NOT a children's book.

The book alternates between the lives of Kayla, a girl who has been trusted to keep the sacre
Amanda
Loved this book! Very engaging author. I got into this book within the first five pages and had to keep going from there. I LOVE the tension/pacing and how concerned I was for the characters.

The characters have flaws to overcome there is a level of realness to them. The relationship aspect is my favorite part of the book. Family seems to be a theme.

Though "The Chosen One" idea is cliche in fantasy, I had no problem with it in this book. In some areas of the book there is an overusage of modifi
Sheila
Mar 07, 2010 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All lovers of a good YA fantasy
I really liked this 1st book in what will be a 7 book series. I gave it 4 stars so I have somewhere to go when the next book comes out. The Sapphire Flute has a magic system that is innovative and something I wished I had thought off. The book has 3 very strong female characters that is not often found in a fantasy book/series. I love Karen's writing style. The words just flow smoothly across the pages; something rare for a first time published author. My favorite character in the book is Ember ...more
Haley Freeman
Apr 05, 2010 Haley Freeman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am SOOO excited to be posting about this book! Honestly, my delight in the publication of this book is second only to that of my own book. Karen is a friend I meet when she reviewed my book, We have been instant friends ever since.

I was privileged to read this book as a manuscript. I loved it right away! I had no doubt the story of the wolfchild would be printed for the world to read one day.
I've never been a huge fantasy fan but wow I was in love with The Sapphire Flute's characters and pulle
Jessica
A complex new fantasy from first-time author Karen Hoover, The Sapphire Flute tells the story of two young girls who are destined to save their world through magic. One, the Wolfchild, is a mage of untold power, the other is the guardian of the Sapphire Flute, a magical instrument being sought by an evil sorceress.

Hoover has created an engaging new world, where magic is widely practiced, gods walk the land, and wolves take human shape. The big frustration? Tense ending, and the next book isn't o
Camp Half-blood
Jun 22, 2014 Camp Half-blood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is about three girls. One is evil, the others are good. The two good go against the evil, trying to defeat her.

Ember is the Wolfchild. She is a wolf and a human! She can shape shift. Kayla is the most talented flute player. She is granted the Sapphire Flute.

My favorite part of the book was when Ember learned how to shapeshift.

I'd recommend this book for people who like adventure and wolves.

- Madison, age 10
Nikki Sheriff
Mar 18, 2010 Nikki Sheriff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It breaks away from the mold of the typical fantasy books that I've read lately. Karen has created a completely new world for us to explore and be sucked into. It was exciting and intriguing, and I couldn't put it down without itching to pick it back up again. I can't wait for "The Armor of Light" to see what will happen next!
Sabine
Mar 05, 2010 Sabine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I am more into Sci-Fi than Fantasy, I really liked this book. I will admit I was skeptical because I had a real problem with the cover. It was one I would have never picked up on my own. I am so glad I read it though because it was an awesome book and I can't wait for the next one to come out. Look for a full review on my blog March 16th. www.writinginberlin.blogspot.com
Tristi
Feb 12, 2010 Tristi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fresh, unique fantasy is skillfully written and will appeal to all lovers of high fantasy. Karen Hoover will definitely be an author to watch in coming years as she produces the other books in this series ... I have no doubt she will soon be a household name.
Breanna
Mar 08, 2010 Breanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Once this book got warmed up it was really good. I especially liked the part of the story about Ember.
There were a few things I didn't like about this book, but overall, it was good.
Mikki
Sep 10, 2010 Mikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It's a quick read and a fun fantasy. Looking forward to book 2
Cheri
May 04, 2010 Cheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She's my friend and in my book group, but, aside from that, Karen Hoover writes a brilliant book. The Sapphire Flute is amazing. I can't wait for the next installment.
Jenn
Mar 05, 2010 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! You can read my review here: http://lifelongbookworm.blogspot.com/...
Cathy
Apr 16, 2010 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute 5 stars. The kind of book that you wish wouldn't end. Guess what, there are more in the series. Yay!
Karen Hoover
Mar 03, 2010 Karen Hoover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey, I wrote the darn thing, of course I love it! I'd be an idiot not to give myself five stars, don't you think? ;)
Vicki
Jul 03, 2010 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I just finished this wonderful new story! I loved it! What a great new voice in the Fantasy World.I can't wait for the next book in the Wolfchild series!! Please hurry and write it!
Marcy
Mar 27, 2010 Marcy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a great book.
Theresa Sneed
Mar 26, 2010 Theresa Sneed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read my review of Karen's delightful new book at http://bestauthorsread.blogspot.com
Nari
Mar 16, 2010 Nari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Great characters!
Sep 10, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting fantasy book. I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Melissa
Jan 02, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally reviewed at Melissa's Bookshelf.

Because I enjoy fantasy novels I was excited when I was contacted by Valor Publishing to be a part of the blog tour for The Sapphire Flute. Having just finished reading the book, I am even more thrilled to bring you my review, because I absolutely loved this first publication by Karen E. Hoover. (Today is the big release day, as a matter of fact!) Even more exciting (to me) is that this is the first of SEVEN books in the series. I truly think this book
Elizabeth Mueller
Jul 17, 2010 Elizabeth Mueller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first time I saw the book cover, I was thrilled with the bright animation and the emotional portrayal depicted. I thought the wolf was something to be feared, as the girls on the cover are staring at it. So I wondered what the significance of the wolf was. The picture portrays each character in her own right, but not a summary of any scene.

It is a story that brings to life two girls whose destinies are shaped and led by the Guardians who watch over their world and keep order to all magic.

Poo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Elf and the Princess (Silent Warrior Trilogy, #1)
  • Secret Sisters (Secret Sisters Mystery #1)
  • Resistance (Rising, #1)
  • The House on Parchment Street
  • Awakening Avery
  • Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students: Helping Kids Cope with Explosive Feelings
  • The Thorn (The Chronicles of Gan, #1)
  • Am I Not a Man?: The Dred Scott Story
  • Alma the Younger (Book of Mormon, #3)
  • Eyes Like Mine
  • The Stone Traveler
  • Nexus Point
  • Women of the Book of Mormon
  • A Time To Die (Shandra Covington, #3)
  • The Girl Who Heard Demons
  • The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 04
  • The Dragon Nimbus Novels: Volume I
  • The Man in the Cinder Clouds

The Wolfchild Saga (2 books)
  • The Armor of Light (The Wolfchild Saga, #2)