Start by marking “The Armor of Light” as Want to Read:
The Armor of Light

The Armor of Light (The Wolfchild Saga #2)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Ember has been accepted into the mage academy, but not without cost. She has gained a new enemy, ancient and dark, whose entire purpose is to destroy all white magic and her along with it. After nearly losing her life in a brutal attack, DeMunth is assigned her guardian, and the keystone he wears, The Armor of Light, begins the transition that will make it a true power.

Ka
Published (first published August 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Armor of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Armor of Light

Nichole Giles
Karen Hoover has done a fantastic job of packing so much into this story, but it’s done in such a way that you just can’t stop reading. This is one of those un-put-down-able books that you keep thinking about for days after you finish it. I don’t know if I’ve said it before, but Karen has such a poetic, beautiful way with words. She draws you in until you love all the characters (even the bad guys), the beautiful world in which they live, the magic…oh, the magic. It’s just incredible.

You can’t
Candace Salima
Mar 03, 2013 Candace Salima rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 12 and Up
Recommended to Candace by: Karen E. Hoover
Picking up where The Sapphire Flute left off, Karen E. Hoover starts The Armor of Light right in the middle of the action, with Ember and Kayla struggling with their magical gifts, facing the one whose sole desire is to destroy them, and capture Ember’s soul in an altar of black stone. For Ember is the “wolfchild” and the first white mage in 3,000 years. Only she can weave the fabric of magic back together that is protecting the citizens of the distant world, Rasaan.

Hoover’s writing is lyrical a
Laurie

Karen Hoover continues her intriguing fantasy series, The Wolfchild Saga, with volume two, The Armor of Light, and I’m delighted to say that the pace never lags, Hoover’s creativity never slacks, and her characters continue to take readers on a journey that captivates.

Ladies rule the day in The Armor of Light. All of Hoover’s leads, the good and the evil, are females, providing a unique twist to the series. Ember Shandae, and Kayla Kalandra Felandian, are young women on the cusp of adulthood whe
Camp Half-blood
One evil and two good. Will Kayla and Ember be able to defeat C'Tan using shapeshifting and a magical flute?

Two gemstones are found. C'Tan is trying to find them and defeat the good who have them. Will she defeat the good and claim the gemstones and deliver them to S'Kotos?

(p.s. they find the second gemstone within the first twenty to thirty pages)

My favorite part was when Kayla made an ice wall with the flute to protect herself and her companions from C'Tan.

I'd recommend this book to people who
Nisa
Let me start by yelling SPOILER ALERT.

Now that that's done. Oh how I want to give this book five stars. It's not that this continuation of The Sapphire Flute was any less amazing in world or character than the first. Quite the opposite. It's more that Karen is also very good at writing in emotion. A little too good. This book wasn't just a tearjerker for me. More like a waterfall of emotion. I was too invested in Brant and Kayla. Too excited about the fact that finally I found a book where the
Amanda
I love Karen Hoover's writing style. For a while I was having a hard time with Kayla though. However, Kayla is changing now and for the better. At first she cared too much about her position in society, but now that she has experienced some hard things she is realizing it's not as important as how you treat others. I have always loved Ember and she is so good to Lily. One of my favorite things about Karen's books is the emphasis of family relations and how much they play a role in their life. I ...more
Melissa
{Originally reviewed 9/13/11}

When Karen Hoover contacted me and asked me to review her second book in the Wolfchild Saga I simply couldn't say no. I had been really, REALLY looking forward to continuing this series ever since reading The Sapphire Flute. In fact, some of you might recall just how much I loved that book. I made some pretty bold assertions, likening Hoover to some timeless, favorite authors -- Madeleine L'Engle, Lloyd Alexander... I stand behind those comments 100%.

So often it seem
Sher A. Hart
Read The Sapphire Flute before starting this book. The number of people introduced in the first three chapters is mind boggling if you're not already familiar with the story, and besides, The Armor of Light begins where The Sapphire Flute left off. I started book 2 thinking the author would describe the continuing settings and characters and explain the backstory basics. She didn't, so I had to go back and read the series from the beginning to get a mental picture of book 2's beginning. I loved ...more
Sheila
Karen is a fantastic writer who has such a wonderful way with words. Everything is so beautifully written, Karen is also a fantastic poet and it shows in her novel writing. She also has done such a fantastic job with creating this fantasy world. Both of the main character's, Ember and Kayla, are so well developed, it is hard to decide which one you like the best; probably both!! The romance is strong in this novel, as is the magic. I love so many of the unique magical creatures and the magic dis ...more
Elizabeth Mueller
It's always fun to continue the adventure from the first book. I was really interested in learning how Ember faces her challenge to learn the art of white magic when she is the only one of her kind who knows how to use it while C'Tan seeks her out--either as a cohort or in death. Kayla faces equal danger as she fights to protect the flute from groping hands that mean her ill. As Kayla and Ember wondered through their respective pathways at the start, I found the story to slow down a bit. Hoover, ...more
Laura Forner
Karen is such a talented writer, and she never fails to make me laugh. She visits the creative writing club at my school regularly, and one time she was catapulting things via spoon at Ms. Westover as she was trying to get her attention.
The books flows beautifully, and I think it's a shame that Karen is not more known than she is. But the people that do know her love her and her writing. Can't wait for The Emerald Wolf!
LuAnn
I hate reading a book that is poorly edited, and unfortunately that was the case here. Lots of punctuation errors, words that were misused, cliched dialect that came out of nowhere and disappeared the same way. The story itself was confusing with all the mindspeak going on, but the biggest problem was that the novel tried to be too many things at once and ended up not doing any of them well.
Abby
This book is awesome! I have waited a long time to read this book because of others. I absolutely loved everything in it. Although sometimes I was, as every reader is sometimes, very mad at Karen. I hated how Brant died! Also how Marda got kidnapped by C'Tan, but other than those two things, I absolutely loved it. Another great book.
Nikki Sheriff
The Armor of Light flows beautifully in transition from The Sapphire Flute. The drama and adventure steps up it's game, pulling you into excitement, heart-break and anticipation. You journey through a magical world, feeling as if you're apart of it, and it leaves you wanting more. Can't wait for the next book!!
Debbie
I really liked this book. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I want to find out what happens next to the main characters.
Melanie Shurtz

This was a nice follow up to the first book. I wish the rest of the series was out so I could find out what happens next.
Michalla
Oh my Heavens this book was soooo good!!! Really sad at parts (hey I even cried) but other than that really good!!!!
Karen Hoover
Again, my book. I wrote it, so of course I love it and would be foolish to give it anything lower than 5 stars. lol
Daine
Daine added it
Jun 20, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Theo
Theo marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Stephanie Yson
Stephanie Yson marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Gerwin
Gerwin marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

The Wolfchild Saga (2 books)
  • Sapphire Flute (The Wolfchild Saga, #1)
Sapphire Flute (The Wolfchild Saga, #1) Two Souls Are Better Than One (The Misadventures of a Teenage Wizard, #1) Fractured (Newtimber, #1) The Emerald Wolf (Wolfchild Saga, #3) And the Mountain Burns