Start by marking “The Battle Begins (Underworlds, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Battle Begins (Underworlds, #1)

The Battle Begins (Underworlds #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  60 reviews
An action-packed, mythological chapter book series from Tony Abbott!There's something lurking under Owen's school. . . .Owen Brown is your average fourth grader. Or he was, until his best friend, Dana, disappeared. Right in front of his face. Through the floor of the school.Owen's average life has turned upside down.He's determined to find Dana -- before anyone realizes sh ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Battle Begins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battle Begins

Pamela ☼what?!? you want more gruel☼ Tee
Tony Abbott writes books that are popular with the 8 to 12 year old range. His series are just so engaging and well written that even I enjoy reading and reviewing them.

THE BATTLE BEGINS is the first book in a series that has a Percy Jackson-Light meets The Diary of a Wimpy Kid feeling. There are mythical creatures and gods and some funny moments like when the lunch ladies turn into Valkyries.

Highly recommend this one. It's guy-friendly and a good choice for reluctant readers as the action start
Aaron Schroeder
Owen Brown could tell right away that he was not going to have a good day. He was walking around a corner at school and saw a glimpse of his friend, Dana, falling through the floor. Right when she was about to go through she threw a book at him to try to help him find her. Owen and his friends go on an exciting adventure, but they find out that there is a much bigger problem.

Owen Brown is the main character in the book. Also, he has his friends, Jon and Sydney, help Owen rescue Dana. They are al
Orry
PERSONAL RESPONSE:
I thought that this book was good to read, because it tells the story of three kids running around the neighborhood to find their friend. The book shows that true friends stick together and fight to find each other if one goes missing.
PLOT:
"The Battle Begins" is about a boy, Owen Brown, who was going to be late for school. After homeroom his friend, Dana, disappeared through the floor of the school. Owen had to find Dana before everyone noticed she was gone and he did. He had t
Chris Martin
After reading “Underworlds: The Battle Begins” I’m my interest level in peaked in the next few books of the series. With there only being just over a hundred pages per book, I want to get my hands on the next book. I also find the mixing of mythologies very interesting. It’s cool to see Greek and Norse myths combined to make an original story that still has all the magic and adventure I love.

The book starts with Owen Brown telling the reader of his supernatural day. It starts out an ordinary day
Sandra Stiles
Owen Brown is a very conscientious kid. He worries about things like the up-coming concert and the multiple projects he helps collect money for at school. What he didn't think to worry about is the possibility of mythological worlds really existing. That is until his best friend Dana Runson disappears. After knocking her down in the hallway, the floor beneath her splits open belching smoke and fire and she is suddenly gone. The last thing Dana tells him before she disappears through the floor is ...more
Steven R. McEvoy
This is the second series I have read by Tony Abbott. The first, The Haunting of Derek Stone, was amazing. I loved it, so when this new series was starting I had to read it. I was not disappointed. Tony Abbot has come up with yet another great concept and is bringing it to life for readers both young and young at heart. With a mix of Greek, Norse, Egyptian and Babylonian mythologies, a group of fourth graders, and the whole world at stake, what could go wrong?

Owen Brown is in the fourth grade. O
Justin
“The Battle Begins” is a remarkable story. Owen Brown is an average fourth grader whose day changed when his best friend Dana disappears in a fiery explosion right in the hallway of his school. Owen, determined to find his friend, sets out on a rescue mission to save his best friend before anyone notices that she has gone missing. Their mission is going to be a little bit more dangerous than they ever expected. I liked the book, although I wish the book was longer with more exciting events. Neve ...more
Dayle Lynne
My daughter came home from school the other day super excited about this book and telling me that she wanted to get the rest of the series. I responded with, "That's awesome! I'll see what I can do." Admittedly, I forgot about it (my daughter is generally reading 3 to 4 books at any given time and has a collection that grows faster than mine does).

Over the next few days, she started talking to me about Valkyries and the Fenris wolf. I perked up and asked, "What's this book you're reading again?
Karissa

This is the first book in the Underworld series. This is a beginning chapter book fantasy series that has four books in it. I read this with my 7 year old son. Actually he read the book out loud to me over a couple of months. I have been reading more and more beginning chapter books with him and I have to say this is one of the best ones we have read.

Owen is just your average fourth grader until his best friend Dana disappears into the ground...literally. Owen, along with his friends Jon and Syd
Chris
I know books for young readers can't, by their very natures, be too long, complex, and developed, and certain concessions must be made. Still, this one felt so sketchy and simplified in its development of characters, plot, dialogue, and portrayal of mythology that I had trouble accepting much of what it offered. Everything felt too compromised to the effort to be appealing and accessible. So, in the end, that's what it has to offer: A quick read full of action, it will appeal for its ease of acc ...more
Jenevieve
The first of the Underworlds series. The day started normally enough for 10yr old Owen Harper until he got to school and watched the floor open up and his best friend disappear amongst flames with dozens of eyeballs staring at him as a voice is heard saying "The Battle Begins!" Her last words were telling him to find a book as she flung a key at him. What choice does he have but to do as she asked and try to get her back, even if it means being attacked by Fenrir, stealing the Lyre of Orpheus, a ...more
Dorine White
Middle Grade author, Tony Abbott, is back with a new fantasy series for kids. Just like The Secrets of Droon, his new series, Underworlds, involves 3 young children who end up journeying from Earth into a different world. The first book in the series is entitled, The Battle Begins.

The Story: Owen Brown is a typical fourth grader. One day, while late to class, he see’s an event that changes his life. Right before him, only a few feet away, his good friend Dana is sucked through a hole in the flo
Mark Buxton
This book is a very quick-read, only 59 pages in the eBook, and it mixes gods from different creatures. I was amazed at how much action the author was able to cram into the plot. There was not a lot of character development, but it really kept my interest. I was surprised to find the book coming to an end as the suspense was still high. The resolution informs readers that more monsters are on the way!
Vipul Rai
Well, what can I say? My sister thought it was boring, even though she never read it. But it doesn't matter what other people think. Or in simpler words, I liked it. I liked the main characters- Jon, Dana, Owen, Sydney. And this guy brought together four mythologies two whom I love due to Rick Riordan. Well this is the final sentence in which I am going to say this; the series is good.
Jessica
this book wasn't bad, but it isn't on part with other young adult books. the characters are in 4th grade, but seem younger. I read this with my 5th grader who liked the story but is well beyond it in his reading. I just gave it to my first grade to see what he thinks. the writing is simple enough, though some of the bad guys are a bit scary, so we'll see.
Mary Ann
This series appeals to kids who love fast-paced adventure set amongst a cast of ancient mythological monsters. When Dana gets sucked through the floor, her three friends team up to rescue her from Hades and block Loki, the Norse trickster god, as he tries to start a war. This will leave kids on the edge of their seats.
Mandy
This was a fun read where the action did not stop.

I think this would be a great way to introduce mythology into a child's life. Not only Greek mythology. There was Norse as well. Plus, there will be other cultures in later books.

Haydn
the main characters are Owen Jon and Sydney and one of there friends get sucked throw a hole and the go on a adventure to find him which leads to a house with gabbles on top of a hill at the end of the street when they get there they come to a unlocked door so they go in and they come to a guard dog so jack climbs up a book shelf and goes into the heating/cooling duck and he distracts the dog so then annie comes up and they move on to a room where they find there friend then the hear the front d ...more
Garren
Well, wow, I didn't know an easy reader could be such a poorly written torment. I recommend this to anyone who is in a rut with your reading, as it will lower the bar in your mind for all written arts.
Mary
Read this book series to my third graders and they loved it. I think Rick Riordan does this type of adventure better but its a much shorter read for your students.
Christy Weisiger
For younger readers, this book is as exciting as The Lightening Thief and will keep them turning the pages to see what happens next! Boys will love this series.
Robert
I thought that this book was pretty good, but I think it needs some changes. I thought that the story was pretty good, but I HATE THE NAMES!
Robert
Relatively boilerplate children's mythology story. It's got main character boy, comic relief boy, and girl. My son loved the fact that the main character bore his name and purchased it for his school library. I appreciated that it never stopped moving and was, thankfully, not very long. I don't think it added much to children's fantasy, being mostly a quick trip to some notable mythological grounds and not even a particularly good primer on the background stories for those unaware of Greek myths ...more
Kate
Liked it. Good plot. Included mythology, which is interesting to me.
Ryan Kitchen
A great mix of all the mythology and a great adventure!
Jamie G
I love all of the underworld series there great books!
Samik Jain
looks a very adventures book
Jay
WOW! A mix of mythologies! I never could imagine so many different mythologies coming together!
Books Kids Like
Owen Brown watches his friend, Dana, disappear through the school's floor in a puff of smoke. The action quickly moves forward as the Owen and his friends are attacked by Fenrir, a wolf-like creature from Norse mythology. They find out that the school's lunch ladies are really Valkyries. Then, armed with Orpheus' lyre and Dana's copy of Bulfinch Mythology, Owen and his friends enter the underworld via the school's boiler room. Underworlds promises to be another great series penned by the hand of ...more
Carri
3.5 stars. My son really liked it and that's what was important.
Book level 1 4 Jul 09, 2012 07:02PM
  • City of Fire (City Trilogy, #1)
  • Boris on the Move (Boris #1: A Branches Book)
  • Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade (Princess Posey, #1)
  • Beswitched
  • The River of No Return (Jaguar Stones, #3)
  • Amelia Bedelia Means Business (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #1)
  • The Five Masks of Dr. Screem (Goosebumps: Hall of Horrors, #3)
  • Wolf Stalker (Mysteries in Our National Parks, #1)
  • Pencil Of Doom! (Schooling Around!)
  • Between Two Ends
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • Poseidon and the Sea of Fury (Heroes in Training, #2)
  • Queen Bee
  • Cave of the Dark Wind (Never Land Books, #2)
  • The Golden Scarab (Quest, #1)
  • Potterwookiee (The Creature from My Closet)
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Ruby's Slippers
Tony Abbott (born 1952) is an American author of children's books. His most popular work is the book series The Secrets of Droon, which includes over 40 books. He has sold over 12 million copies of his books and they have been translated into several other languages, including Italian, Spanish, Korean, French, Japanese, Polish, Turkish, and Russian. He has also written the bestseller "Firegirl".
Ab
More about Tony Abbott...
Firegirl The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet (The Secrets of Droon, #1) Journey to the Volcano Palace (The Secrets of Droon, #2) The Mysterious Island (The Secrets of Droon, #3) City in the Clouds (The Secrets Of Droon, #4)