Start by marking “The Battle Begins (Underworlds, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Battle Begins (Underworlds, #1)

The Battle Begins (Underworlds #1)

An action-packed, mythological chapter book series from Tony Abbott!There's something lurking under Owen's school. . . .Owen Brown is your average fourth grader. Or he was, until his best friend, Dana, disappeared. Right in front of his face. Through the floor of the school.Owen's average life has turned upside down.He's determined to find Dana -- before anyone realizes sh ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Battle Begins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battle Begins

Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
Tony Abbott writes books that are popular with the 8 to 12 year old range. His series are just so engaging and well written that even I enjoy reading and reviewing them.

THE BATTLE BEGINS is the first book in a series that has a Percy Jackson-Light meets The Diary of a Wimpy Kid feeling. There are mythical creatures and gods and some funny moments like when the lunch ladies turn into Valkyries.

Highly recommend this one. It's guy-friendly and a good choice for reluctant readers as the action start
Aaron Schroeder
Mar 11, 2014 Aaron Schroeder rated it liked it
Owen Brown could tell right away that he was not going to have a good day. He was walking around a corner at school and saw a glimpse of his friend, Dana, falling through the floor. Right when she was about to go through she threw a book at him to try to help him find her. Owen and his friends go on an exciting adventure, but they find out that there is a much bigger problem.

Owen Brown is the main character in the book. Also, he has his friends, Jon and Sydney, help Owen rescue Dana. They are al
Louis Knecht
Mar 11, 2015 Louis Knecht rated it liked it
I thought that the book “The Battle Begins” was very interesting and helpful to learn about mythology. Overall, I would say it was a good book and an easy read.

The plot was about how Owen, the main character, had to save his friend Dana. During the story Owen’s friends Jon and Sydney helped Owen to find Dana. They had to find a book at Dana’s house about mythology that would help them find Dana. They went to her house and found the book, but they still had to fight a series of monsters to get Da
Brandon Bastar
Personal Response
The book “The Battle Begins” was an entertaining book. The characters described what their feelings were and expressed their thoughts in every situation. The book was adventurous and sucked me in, once I started reading. If there was a sequel to this book I would read it, because it seemed like it would be a good series.
Plot
In the beginning of the book, Owen and his parents were talking about how they were going to bring his friend Dana home after school. They were going to w
Orry
Oct 23, 2014 Orry rated it really liked it
PERSONAL RESPONSE:
I thought that this book was good to read, because it tells the story of three kids running around the neighborhood to find their friend. The book shows that true friends stick together and fight to find each other if one goes missing.
PLOT:
"The Battle Begins" is about a boy, Owen Brown, who was going to be late for school. After homeroom his friend, Dana, disappeared through the floor of the school. Owen had to find Dana before everyone noticed she was gone and he did. He had t
Chris Martin
Mar 16, 2015 Chris Martin rated it liked it
After reading “Underworlds: The Battle Begins” I’m my interest level in peaked in the next few books of the series. With there only being just over a hundred pages per book, I want to get my hands on the next book. I also find the mixing of mythologies very interesting. It’s cool to see Greek and Norse myths combined to make an original story that still has all the magic and adventure I love.

The book starts with Owen Brown telling the reader of his supernatural day. It starts out an ordinary day
Sandra Stiles
Dec 11, 2011 Sandra Stiles rated it it was amazing
Owen Brown is a very conscientious kid. He worries about things like the up-coming concert and the multiple projects he helps collect money for at school. What he didn't think to worry about is the possibility of mythological worlds really existing. That is until his best friend Dana Runson disappears. After knocking her down in the hallway, the floor beneath her splits open belching smoke and fire and she is suddenly gone. The last thing Dana tells him before she disappears through the floor is ...more
Steven R. McEvoy
May 04, 2012 Steven R. McEvoy rated it it was amazing
This is the second series I have read by Tony Abbott. The first, The Haunting of Derek Stone, was amazing. I loved it, so when this new series was starting I had to read it. I was not disappointed. Tony Abbot has come up with yet another great concept and is bringing it to life for readers both young and young at heart. With a mix of Greek, Norse, Egyptian and Babylonian mythologies, a group of fourth graders, and the whole world at stake, what could go wrong?

Owen Brown is in the fourth grade. O
Justin
Jan 14, 2013 Justin rated it liked it
“The Battle Begins” is a remarkable story. Owen Brown is an average fourth grader whose day changed when his best friend Dana disappears in a fiery explosion right in the hallway of his school. Owen, determined to find his friend, sets out on a rescue mission to save his best friend before anyone notices that she has gone missing. Their mission is going to be a little bit more dangerous than they ever expected. I liked the book, although I wish the book was longer with more exciting events. Neve ...more
Dayle Lynne
Mar 07, 2014 Dayle Lynne rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
My daughter came home from school the other day super excited about this book and telling me that she wanted to get the rest of the series. I responded with, "That's awesome! I'll see what I can do." Admittedly, I forgot about it (my daughter is generally reading 3 to 4 books at any given time and has a collection that grows faster than mine does).

Over the next few days, she started talking to me about Valkyries and the Fenris wolf. I perked up and asked, "What's this book you're reading again?
Karissa
Nov 08, 2014 Karissa rated it really liked it

This is the first book in the Underworld series. This is a beginning chapter book fantasy series that has four books in it. I read this with my 7 year old son. Actually he read the book out loud to me over a couple of months. I have been reading more and more beginning chapter books with him and I have to say this is one of the best ones we have read.

Owen is just your average fourth grader until his best friend Dana disappears into the ground...literally. Owen, along with his friends Jon and Syd
Joey hulla

Under Worlds The Battle Begins
By Tony Abbott

Owen Brown sees Dana fall through the school floor and he can't find her. Now it's up to Owen and his friends to get her back.
It takes place at a school. The characters are Owen Brown, Dana, Jon, and Sydney. The theme is friends always have each others back.
The plot is Owen sees Dana fall through the school floor. Now it's up to Owen and his friends to get her back.
I wish the book had more monsters. I wish they told more about Dana`s parents. If you li
Chris
Sep 02, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
I know books for young readers can't, by their very natures, be too long, complex, and developed, and certain concessions must be made. Still, this one felt so sketchy and simplified in its development of characters, plot, dialogue, and portrayal of mythology that I had trouble accepting much of what it offered. Everything felt too compromised to the effort to be appealing and accessible. So, in the end, that's what it has to offer: A quick read full of action, it will appeal for its ease of acc ...more
M.
Mar 11, 2015 M. rated it liked it
Fourth graders Owen, Jon, and Sydney need to rescue their friend Dana from the Underworld. She literally disappeared into the floor of their school while Owen and Sydney watched.

Fast paced, lots of action. Book 1 of a new series. There is a mixture of mythologies--Roman, Norse, etc., with a bad guy apparently trying to take over the Underworlds (each mythology has its own section).

3rd grade and up, especially boys who are interested in Percy Jackson and other mythology based series.
Jenevieve
Dec 24, 2012 Jenevieve rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
The first of the Underworlds series. The day started normally enough for 10yr old Owen Harper until he got to school and watched the floor open up and his best friend disappear amongst flames with dozens of eyeballs staring at him as a voice is heard saying "The Battle Begins!" Her last words were telling him to find a book as she flung a key at him. What choice does he have but to do as she asked and try to get her back, even if it means being attacked by Fenrir, stealing the Lyre of Orpheus, a ...more
Dorine White
Apr 11, 2012 Dorine White rated it liked it
Middle Grade author, Tony Abbott, is back with a new fantasy series for kids. Just like The Secrets of Droon, his new series, Underworlds, involves 3 young children who end up journeying from Earth into a different world. The first book in the series is entitled, The Battle Begins.

The Story: Owen Brown is a typical fourth grader. One day, while late to class, he see’s an event that changes his life. Right before him, only a few feet away, his good friend Dana is sucked through a hole in the flo
Libby
May 11, 2015 Libby rated it it was amazing
My 4.5 and 6.5 year olds LOVED listening to me read this out loud. They made me finish the whole thing in 2 sessions (whereas I'd normally read 1 chapter at a time and there are about 10)

It's a nice intro to mythology for very young kids. The protagonists are in about 4th-ish grade, so probably it's intended to be read by 8 year olds, but clearly younger kids would enjoy it. We will definitely be reading the others in the series.
Esteban Caropresi
Sep 30, 2015 Esteban Caropresi rated it really liked it
This book is about three students that attend Pinewood Bluffs Elementary. Owen, Sydney, and Jon have to find out what happen to there poor friend Danna. Danna was grabbed by someone that came out of the floor! That all happened in front of Owen! She had told him to go to her house and grab this book. That's when it all started! The Battle Begins! Mystery peeps, this is a book you will enjoy! Try to find the mystery! HA HA HA HA!
Mark Buxton
Nov 29, 2014 Mark Buxton rated it really liked it
This book is a very quick-read, only 59 pages in the eBook, and it mixes gods from different creatures. I was amazed at how much action the author was able to cram into the plot. There was not a lot of character development, but it really kept my interest. I was surprised to find the book coming to an end as the suspense was still high. The resolution informs readers that more monsters are on the way!
Vipul Rai
Aug 16, 2014 Vipul Rai rated it really liked it
Well, what can I say? My sister thought it was boring, even though she never read it. But it doesn't matter what other people think. Or in simpler words, I liked it. I liked the main characters- Jon, Dana, Owen, Sydney. And this guy brought together four mythologies two whom I love due to Rick Riordan. Well this is the final sentence in which I am going to say this; the series is good.
Jessica
Jun 06, 2014 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
this book wasn't bad, but it isn't on part with other young adult books. the characters are in 4th grade, but seem younger. I read this with my 5th grader who liked the story but is well beyond it in his reading. I just gave it to my first grade to see what he thinks. the writing is simple enough, though some of the bad guys are a bit scary, so we'll see.
Jiselle Jones
Mar 22, 2016 Jiselle Jones rated it it was ok
Not my favorite. It mixes 4 mythologies, which was confusing for me, as an adult. In the first few chapters, it seemed that every other word was a from Norse mythology or Greek Mythology which will be difficult for some of my lower readers to decode. I'm not sure the plot will be enough to keep them muddling through the names.
Mary Ann
This series appeals to kids who love fast-paced adventure set amongst a cast of ancient mythological monsters. When Dana gets sucked through the floor, her three friends team up to rescue her from Hades and block Loki, the Norse trickster god, as he tries to start a war. This will leave kids on the edge of their seats.
Sol.P
Jan 17, 2016 Sol.P rated it liked it
I think that this book was very adventurous and exciting. For me, the most fun part of the story was when Dana disappeared to the underground. I was astonished by the friendship in the story- sacrificing their life to rescue their friend. Overall, this book was very entertaining, interesting, and fun.
Mandy
May 12, 2014 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: juv-ya
This was a fun read where the action did not stop.

I think this would be a great way to introduce mythology into a child's life. Not only Greek mythology. There was Norse as well. Plus, there will be other cultures in later books.

Haydn
Oct 16, 2012 Haydn rated it it was amazing
the main characters are Owen Jon and Sydney and one of there friends get sucked throw a hole and the go on a adventure to find him which leads to a house with gabbles on top of a hill at the end of the street when they get there they come to a unlocked door so they go in and they come to a guard dog so jack climbs up a book shelf and goes into the heating/cooling duck and he distracts the dog so then annie comes up and they move on to a room where they find there friend then the hear the front d ...more
Garren
Sep 19, 2014 Garren rated it did not like it
Shelves: partially-read
Well, wow, I didn't know an easy reader could be such a poorly written torment. I recommend this to anyone who is in a rut with your reading, as it will lower the bar in your mind for all written arts.
Mary
Jun 23, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
Read this book series to my third graders and they loved it. I think Rick Riordan does this type of adventure better but its a much shorter read for your students.
Christy Weisiger
Jun 22, 2014 Christy Weisiger rated it it was amazing
For younger readers, this book is as exciting as The Lightening Thief and will keep them turning the pages to see what happens next! Boys will love this series.
Gerardo Sicairos
Oct 07, 2015 Gerardo Sicairos rated it really liked it
Under World The Battle Begins had lots of description and was really intense.Tony Abbott is a really great author with a great imagonation he also is really smart.The thing that amazed me the most is how a group of three fourth graders are brave enough to go up against mythological gods and monsters them self.I would total read the rest of the series.I recommend this book to people who like mythological books and that like lots of action.Over all this is a really great book.
Book level 1 4 Jul 09, 2012 07:02PM
  • Beast Keeper (Beasts of Olympus, #1)
  • City of Fire (City Trilogy, #1)
  • Boris on the Move (Boris #1: A Branches Book)
  • Nikki and Deja
  • Wolf Stalker (Mysteries in Our National Parks, #1)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck in Disguise
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
  • Beswitched
  • Trouble at Trident Academy
  • Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week (Jasper John Dooley, #1)
  • Galaxy Zack: Hello, Nebulon
  • The Chosen Prince
  • Emma and the Blue Genie
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow (Jacob Wonderbar, #1)
  • Storm Chaser
  • The Magic School Bus Meets The Rot Squad: A Book About Decomposition
  • Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade (Princess Posey, #1)
Tony Abbott (born 1952) is an American author of children's books. His most popular work is the book series The Secrets of Droon, which includes over 40 books. He has sold over 12 million copies of his books and they have been translated into several other languages, including Italian, Spanish, Korean, French, Japanese, Polish, Turkish, and Russian. He has also written the bestseller "Firegirl".
Ab
More about Tony Abbott...

Underworlds (4 books)
  • When Monsters Escape (Underworlds, #2)
  • Revenge of the Scorpion King (Underworlds, #3)
  • The Ice Dragon (Underworlds, #4)