Start by marking “Les enfants du capitaine Grant” as Want to Read:
Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Read Book* *Different edition

Les enfants du capitaine Grant (Extraordinary Voyages #5)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,650 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
Alertés par le message que le capitaine Grant a jeté à la mer et qu’ils ont trouvé par hasard, Lord et Lady Glenarvan décident d’aider Mary et Robert Grant à retrouver leur père, naufragé sur une île dont seule la latitude est connue (37e degré). Ils seront aidés dans leur mission par le géographe Paganel. Leur quête les fera croiser au large de l’Amérique du Sud, puis les ...more
Published 2006 by Éditions Atlas (first published 1867)

To ask other readers questions about Les enfants du capitaine Grant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Rossy
Mar 04, 2015 Rossy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one as a little girl and I remember I loved it! I want to read it again.
Alex
May 06, 2015 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Isaac Dunaevsky, Overture to "The Children of Captain Grant" movie

Lord Glenarvan, his new-wed wife, McNabb and Paganel agreed to go ahead
And sail on board the "Duncan" yacht, to help the kids of captain Grant to find their missing Dad.
This quest lead them around the Globe in search of Scottish sailor.
They risked their lives so many times, yet kept their will and valor

They knew "Britannia" shipwrecked at 37th parallel
Christian
Otro que ya está en la bolsa de leídos del maestro Jules Verne. Este en particular es un libro de 3.5/5 puntos, pero lo califiqué con 3 ya que ponerle 4 sería demasiado.

Todo comienza con el hallazgo de un mensaje en un botella. Comienzo esperanzador, sabiendo a lo que nos tiene acostumbrados Jules, y es por esto que las primeras páginas dan la impresión de que estamos delante de una aventura inolvidable. Nada mas lejos de la realidad, lamentablemente. Así es que, luego de armar el escenario de l
Alyson
Jul 25, 2013 Alyson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit, the movie was/is one of my all-time childhood (and lets face it, adulthood too) favorites. So, I went into this book with certain expectations. Most were met, and it was engaging, exciting, and a very entertaining read. And about 3/4 of it (or more) had nothing in common with the movie, so I did not know exactly what was going to happen as I read it.

My major complaints are few, and really not that major. Some of the slang was unknown to me; the verbiage was at times difficult to get
Melinda
I hate to do this, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to give my beloved Jules Verne a mere 2 stars for this book. I have been huge fan of "The Mysterious Island" since I was probably 10 or 12, and when I found out this book was a prequel to "The Mysterious Island" I thought "why have I never heard of this book??!!". Well, now I know why. Not every book every successful author writes is worthwhile.

The premise of "Captain Grant's Children" (also published under "In Search of the Castaways") is a m
Clara
Jan 12, 2016 Clara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

As ever, it is quite an adventure to read a Jules Verne’s book. It always amazes me how much he knew about geography, zoology, history and botany, considering the time he wrote his books. I really liked the characters, which seems to be what I enjoy most about his books. And although I feel this book could have been a little bit shorter, I really enjoy it.

Me gustan mucho los libros de Verne por toda la aventura que tienen, y nunca deja de asombrarme todo lo que sabía el hombre para la época e
Jānis
May 19, 2013 Jānis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tādi kā Verns un Dikenss tomēr māk uzrakstīt grāmatu, ieinteresējot cilvēku arī ar lietām, ar kurām citi nemāk ieinteresēt. Tā, piemēram, šajā grāmatā vismaz 70% ir vēsture + ģeogrāfija, bet piedzīvojumi tikai savi 30%, toties salikts kopā tā, ka ir interesanti lasīt. Šitie stāsti nenoveco.
Ja godīgi, tad tā pat kā seriālā How I Met Your Mother - nebūtu Bārnija, nebūtu seriāla - te - nebūtu Paganela, nebūtu piedzīvojumu :D
Vin
Oct 13, 2012 Vin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i've spent half of my reading time(including course books) reading the jules vern's novels in my childhood. he is a legend. very few people know about him.

oh captain grant! what a book!
Eugeny Pessotski
This book made my childhood.
Armands Osītis
Apr 16, 2013 Armands Osītis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Kapteiņa Granta bērni” ir franču autora Žila Verna piedzīvojumu romāns, kurš tika sarakstīts 19. gadsimta otrajā pusē, precīzāk, 1867.-1868. gados. Romāns sastāv no trijām daļām, kurās galvenie varoņi (lords un lēdija Glenerveni, majors Maknabss, Žaks Paganells, Mērija un Roberts Granti, kā arī citi) apceļo pasauli caur Patagoniju (Dienvidamerika), Jaunzēlandi un Austrāliju, stingri pieturotes pie 37 grādu platuma paralēles.
Notikumi Romānā norisinās 19. gadsimta vidū, par notikuma vietu kļūst
Lydia Presley
Nov 29, 2009 Lydia Presley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classics
Another romping adventure by Jules Verne. This was a new book to me and I love it with a book immediately starts out with a great people, objects and an incredible mission. Not just a note in a bottle, the bottle is found in a shark! Immediately I was sucked in.

There was fantastic adventures through Patagonia and Australia and New Zealand. Brushes with bandits, cannibals and the tribal people. In all of his writing, Verne comes off as respectful and full of admiration for the natives of the land
Peter
Nov 11, 2015 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone is taken prisoner by cruel Indians. "Captain Grant's Children" is an adventurous story by Jules Verne. This book has the element of climax, "All of a sudden, a violent crash made him start to his feet," on page 69 of "Captain Grant's Children" by Jules Verne.
Another element "Captain Grant's Children" has is the element of characterization. "The girl was about sixteen years of age; her tired pretty face, and sorrowful eyes, and resigned but courageous look, as well as her new but poor a
Marat Beiner
Jan 22, 2016 Marat Beiner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have tried to read this book, when I was somewhat about 12-13, and dropped. Too many detailed descriptions of every rock and tree the crew has passed. Today I've enjoyed these descriptions.
The book covered a lot of places, and included a few cultures, and actually covered a gap which "Around the world in 80 days" has left (As I said in my review was a good book but lacked the depth which this book has).
The book is good, a classic which is very recommended.
Devero
Dec 12, 2014 Devero rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ricordo che ci rimasi male quando capii che, pur essendo leggibile a se stante, questo romanzo era l'ultimo di una trilogia. Tra l'altro, non ho mai letto il secondo, ovvero "L'Isola Misteriosa". In se stesso comunque è molto scorrevole, come Ventimila Leghe Sotto i Mari, ma ricordo che mi prese meno.
Jeff Greason
I had read many negative reviews of some translations of this book, so I purchased an old 1911 edition. It reminded me of the language of my old translation of "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea", and to me, this almost had the flavor of a lost work of Verne, as it was quite new to me.

Sadly, while I enjoyed it, it didn't really grab me. It has a lot of the travelogue flavor of "Twenty Thousand Leagues", with description of the natural wonders through which they pass -- but without the compel
Ashley Tetzlaff
The story is interesting. But it is stretched out just a little long... and can start to get boring.

A Captain Grant is missing, so a rich newlywed couple go on their honeymoon in search of him... with his kids along, of course (hence, the title).
Gunita
Mar 19, 2014 Gunita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nepagāja ne 2 gadi, kad grāmata ir beidzot izlasīta :D Pa vidam gan vēl 3 grāmatas tika izlasītas.
Priekš manis nedaudz par daudz bija Paganela vēstures fakti, kas lasīšanu iebremzēja, bet kopumā patika un aizrāva šie mežonīgie piedzīvojumi.
Gordon
Jun 21, 2011 Gordon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful adventure story. The character Jacques Paganel is an exceedingly hilarious character. Jules Verne does a wonderful job describing the various locales in this adventure. You almost feel like you have been to these places yourself.
Czarny Pies
Sep 07, 2015 Czarny Pies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who are ready for a discussion of Cannibalism in the South Pacific.
Recommended to Czarny by: Hayley Mills and Walt Disney
Shelves: french-lit
I read "In Search of the Castaways" in 1963 several weeks after seeing the hit Hollywood movie based on it starring Hayley Mills. At that time, I was of the right age to be enthralled by Ms. Mills who was the great teenage star of the era.
The actual book was no more adult than the Disney movie and almost as much fun as Jules Verne is excellent form in the novel. Jules Verne wrote tales of "extraordinary voyages" to the moon, to the centre of the Earth, under the sea or across Russia. Here, the v
Ieva
May 29, 2015 Ieva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tā kā dīvainā kārtā bērnībā tā arī ne reizi neizlasīju nevienu Žila Verna grāmatu, tas arī „Kapteiņa Granta bērni” tika izlasīta tikai „Lielās lasīšanas” topa dēļ.
Nu katrā ziņā tas, ka grāmata ir domāta kā mācību palīglīdzeklis, kas ar aizraujošo sižetu grib iebarot ģeogrāfiju ir acīmredzams – tik daudz garu aprakstu par redzamo, tik plaši faktu uzskaitījumi...
Mūsdienās to gan nebūtu vēlams uztver kā izglītojošu tieši ģeogrāfijā un antropoloģijā – šoreiz lasot nāca prātā tie raksti par cenzēto
Amanda Sautbine Clemmer
In Search of The Castaways is actually part of a trilogy Verne wrote, the most famous novel of which is 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and the conclusion of which is The Mysterious Island (also a great read). Each book can be read and enjoyed individually and have only the smallest bits of interaction, but they really pop when read together.

Castaways is a true adventure novel. A message from a missing sea captain appears in a bottle, and an entertaining and unlikely group of explorers--men, women,
Realini
Jun 08, 2014 Realini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Children of Captain Grant by Jules Verne

I am starting a Jules Verne Youth Therapy season

This is an exercise in time travel more than a review, so there’s our spoiler alert- although I will not reveal any plot secrets, I may distance myself from the subject so much, and you will not recognize it.

Now that I have lost the only potential reader I might have had, let me think about a book I have read thirty five years ago. Just thinking about it, could rejuvenate me and you, if there’s any reader
Arnis
Mar 24, 2014 Arnis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
dragonhelmuk
Jul 24, 2011 dragonhelmuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahdelina
Dec 07, 2011 Ahdelina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Книга, наконец, прочитана. Я, как и ожидалось, пустила свою скупую слезу в конце, погрустив о завершении бесконечного путешествия.
Чтение длилось достаточно долгое для меня время, наверное, около месяца. А по большей части всё потому, что я оказалась слишком любопытной и всё-таки начиталась рецензий. Многие называли её скучной и совершенно неинтересной по сравнению с тем же "Таинственный островом", к которому она якобы подводит. Начала я, правда, бодро и оптимистично: книга читается очень легко и
Marty
Two pressing reasons for reading this book: 1) You read Mysterious Island, by the same author, and found out that this book has a tie in to that novel. 2) You watched the live action Disney film based on the same book numerous times as a child, and loved it.

Two pressing reasons to vacillate as you go about the process of actually reading this book: 1) The book is out-of-print … ish. Yes, there is a publisher who publishes it, but if my copy is any indication, then they basically wait for an orde
Juliette
Mar 08, 2011 Juliette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aside from every chapter having a weird V. IV Verne inserted somewhere in the middle of a sentence and an occasional WORD capitalized, this Kindle version of the book wasn't too bad.

I did enjoy this much more than I enjoyed 20,000 leagues under the sea. There were more characters that were much more interesting. Paganel himself could have probably entertained me in a book of his own.

This couple on a cruise find a message in a bottle. It is incomplete, but from what they can tell a captain and
Jesse
Nov 26, 2009 Jesse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I read this one out order after descovering that it was part of a series by Verne, starting with "20,000 Leagues". However, one would never know that the first two books are ever connected until reading the third book, in which characters from both of the previous novels come together.

Also, there is a Disney movie, with the girl form "Parent Trap" with the same (or really similar) title, that I saw when I was young and I could recognize the scenes pretty well. though, of course, the book goes in
Joaquin Garza
No es el mejor Verne. De eso que no quepa duda. Me percaté cuando comencé a leer el libro y después de un 30% de avance, me sentí desesperado por cierta lentitud y una estructura que parece idéntica en cada uno de los lugares que pasa la expedición de Lord Glenarvan para hallar al náufrago Grant:

La expedición llega a un lugar. Se hacen planes. Se comienza bien la expedición. Paganel y el Mayor McNabbs intercambian bromas y el mayor siempre termina haciendo un tonto del geógrafo. Sobreviene un de
Xinlai Chen
Jan 29, 2013 Xinlai Chen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story happened in 1864. Scotland Ji cruise ship "Duncan" nominative Linafan Jazz get help drift bottle two years ago and maritime distress missing Scotland navigator Harry Grant issued in an accidental opportunity, he asked the British government to send ships to find. But the British government to the people of Scotland have been discriminated against, refused the request of jazz.
Sir Gerry Bernard Van was very angry, so he decided to organize a small rescue team, by Gerry Bernard Van and hi
Latvija: Jauniešu- maijs- Kapteiņa Granta bērni 1 21 May 01, 2014 08:17AM
  • Всадник без головы
  • Урфин Джюс и его деревянные солдаты (Волшебник изумрудного города, #2)
  • Приключения Чиполлино
  • Chicot the Jester (The Last Valois, #2)
  • Приключения Незнайки
  • Двенадцать стульев. Золотой телёнок
  • Two Captains
  • Золотой Ключик, или Приключения Буратино
  • Winnetou III: Winnetou Gugur
  • Яд и корона. Негоже лилиям прясть (The Accursed Kings, #3-4)
  • The Adventures of Baron Münchausen
  • Hearts of Three
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 68 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City
  • The Blockade Runners
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa
  • The Fur Country

“The fewer one's comforts, the fewer one's needs; and the fewer one's needs, the greater one's happiness.” 3 likes
“Many come to seek fortunes who only find trouble and sorrow, and then they throw the blame on chance, and forget the true cause is their own idleness and vice and want of commonsense. Whoever is sober and industrious, honest and economical, gets on.” 2 likes