Start by marking “Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)” as Want to Read:
Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)

Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma #8)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  780 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In the late autumn of 666 A.D., Fidelma of Cashel - an advocate of the Brehon Courts, sister to the King of Cashel, and religieuse of the Celtic Church is at a crossroads. Needing to reflect upon her commitment to the religious life and her relationship to the Saxon monk Eadulf, she leaves Eadulf behind and joins a small band sailing from Ireland on a pilgrimage to the Shr ...more
Published November 2nd 2001 by Minotaur Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Act of Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Act of Mercy

Laura Edwards
I really liked this book. We get a chance to delve into Sister Fidelma's past and really see what makes her tick. I also liked the setting aboard ship. Different. I think this book gives the reader the most in depth look at Sister Fidelma's character thus far. I love her even more! My only complaint. I guessed the culprit and her reasons from the get go. But, as I said, the broadening window onto Fidelma's character overrode any other deficiencies.

Oh, I do have one other complaint, not just wit
Malcolm
Sister Fidelma’s 8th outing takes us into a world of jealousy, murder, revenge as well as ecclesiastical doubt in the staple of the murder mystery – the confined cast in a confined space. Unlike Christie, this is not a country house in the home counties but a 7th century pilgrimage from Ardmore to Santiago de Compostella, via navigational adventures in the Scilly Islands and Ushant. As well as the murder, there are pirates and treacherous seas; this has all the marks of a good adventure.

As with
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in January 2001.

The seventh Sister Fidelma mystery is to be the last, as far as I am concerned. I had hoped that with the setting moved away from Ireland the novel would be an improvement on the previous couple in the series, which had got into something of a rut. It is better, but not sufficiently so for me to continue with the series.

Fidelma sets sail for Santiago on a pilgrimage to the shrine of St James. This was not the massively important place it would
Feodora
An interesting story, again. It was nice to hear something of the life of Fidelma before she became a dalaigh to the Brehon Court of Ireland. We learn something about a love affair!!!
A bit like "Murder on the Orient Express" as all happens on a boat and all passengers could be the murder....
Susan
I love Sister Fidelma novels but I really missed Brother Eadulf in this story. While Sister Fidelma is on a pilgrimage and trying to sort out her life; does she want remain a religieux or just a dalaigh, does she have deeper feeling for Brother Eadulf or is it platonic, when she runs in to her long-ago lover who spurned her. With multiple murders and very suspicious fellow pilgrims she sifts through the clues and (as always) solves the murder mystery. The story was good and takes place mostly ab ...more
Carolyn Jones
I have become fascinated with this series of mysteries. The revelation that Ireland's ancient Brehon system of law recognized women as equals in society has been enough to have me search for these books.
Argum
Sister Fidelma has undertaken a pilgrimage alone to contemplate her life with Eadulf and with the religious life. Aboard ship she meets her former lover Cian, an oft mentioned previous young love, it is not a pleasant reunion. When a sister goes overboard and a bloody robe is found in her cabin, Fidelma starts investigating. Lots of dirty secrets and harbored ill well are uncovered. Fidelma has to root out the evil that haunts the ship.
Denise
I'm reading my way through all of the books in the Sister Fidelma series. I love historical fiction because this is how history should be both learned and experienced by readers. Instead of dry facts and dates books like these help to show what life was like for those peoples of the past and how specific forces impacted their lives. We can never know exactly what they experienced but we are pulled into their world, their time.

Suggestion to potential readers...read these books in order beginning
Carmen
Really enjoyed this editon of Peter Treymayne's book. Sister Fidelma is all alone in this mystery, her friend and confidant is not with her. She takes a ship voyage to go to Spain and travel the Santiago Way. But all kinds of things happen on the ship. It begins when she discovers that her first serious relationship is on the ship. She then has to deal with religious personnel who don't act like they are in the cloistered life with all the sex and violence that goes on. Four people are all kille ...more
BoekenTrol
Apr 26, 2012 BoekenTrol marked it as started-not-finished  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: saskiasosmile?
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: mafarrimond
I was given this book by mafarrimond throug BookCrossing. It has taken me some time to get to it, but I finally did.

Much to my regret I have to admit, that I din't like this book as much as I thought I would. As a matter of fact, I didn't really get into it, past the Historical Note.
For now I give up, this book will continue its journey to another reader.

But, I hate to give up, to quit without finishing, so I think I'll try and get the first book in the series, to start from the beginning and
Robyn Schmidt
Love this author and this series!
Marisa
For the most part this was a fast paced book. There were a couple parts that I had to force myself through, but not enough to make me want to stop reading it. I had an idea of who the killer was, but because of the sequence of events thought I was wrong only to find out I was right after all. I really like the character of Sister Fidelma.
Marg
An interesting Sister Fidelma mystery in that she is aboard a ship with an old flame and must solve murders while on board. It was a bit of a departure to have her working to find the murderer without her friend and colleague Brother Eadulf. I continue to enjoy these and will read the entire series - assuming I can locate all of the titles!
Kristen
So all the books do have an ongoing background story but it is not necessary to read them in order and Tremayne always summarizes plot points established in earlier books but for the first time this one ended with a cliffhanger!!!!
Really?!?!? In book 8?
Now I am going to have to read them in order so I don't ruin the anticipation.
Sunsy
Ein historischer Kriminalroman um Schwester Fidelma, die Nonne und Anwältin bei Gericht. Dies ist das 8. Buch der Reihe und auch wieder genauestens recherchiert.

Meine Rezension dazu könnt ihr in meinem Blog lesen.
Michele bookloverforever
Sister Fidelma goes on a pilgrimage aboard a ship. There is a murder. Is it her former and first lover who broke her heart many years ago? sort of. she finds the motive and the murderer after a nasty storm and an attack by saxcn pirates.
Sarah Pavelko
good quick read like most mystery novels. interesting story line and very interesting to learn about Ireland in medieval times compared to how I would imagine it was. storyline/plot a bit simplistic but most mystery series are.
Patricia
I enjoyed this book in the series and because I did not see the "culprit" from the beginning of the book, I am giving this four stars. I love all the historical stuff, all the legal stuff, and the stories.
Caroline
This was good - I think I would have enjoyed it more if I started at the beginning of this series and got all the references to previous adventures - so I'm off to start the first in the series now.
Willa Grant
I rarely like "historical novels" but I really like this one- the author knows his history- a really enjoyable read. I am going to start at the beginning & read the whole series!
Mebhe
Super ! Très instructif sur l'époque (Irlande du VIIe s). Et le meilleur de la série que j'ai lu jusqu'à présent. Une très bonne intrigue rondement menée.
Cheryl
I didn't find this one as interesting as previous. It ended with an interesting twist though so I'm looking forward to the next one.
Fred
More Irish who-dunnit starring Sister Fidelma. If you like that genre, you'll enjoy this series and learn a wee bit about Celtic history.
Susan Jo Grassi
I really love historical "who done its" and find Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma to be the perfect female protagonist.
Diane
Aother fun read with Sister Fidelma solving the mystery.
David
Quite a bit of action in this normally gentle series.
Jeanne

I missed Eadulf. Fidelma's first love is a jerk
  • The Bishop's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #4)
  • The Assassin in the Greenwood (Hugh Corbett, #7)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)
  • Cursed in the Blood (Catherine LeVendeur, #5)
  • The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)
  • The Potter's Field (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #17)
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
Peter Berresford Ellis (born 10 March 1943) is a historian, literary biographer, and novelist who has published over 90 books to date either under his own name or his pseudonyms Peter Tremayne and Peter MacAlan. He has also published 95 short stories. His non-fiction books, articles and academic papers have made him acknowledged as an authority on Celtic history and culture. Under Peter Tremayne, ...more
More about Peter Tremayne...

Sister Fidelma (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Absolution by Murder (Sister Fidelma, #1)
  • Shroud for the Archbishop (Sister Fidelma, #2)
  • Suffer Little Children (Sister Fidelma, #3)
  • The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4)
  • The Spider's Web (Sister Fidelma, #5)
  • Valley of the Shadow (Sister Fidelma, #6)
  • The Monk Who Vanished (Sister Fidelma, #7)
  • Hemlock at Vespers (Sister Fidelma, #9)
  • Our Lady Of Darkness (Sister Fidelma, #10)
  • Smoke in the Wind (Sister Fidelma, #11)
Absolution by Murder (Sister Fidelma, #1) Shroud for the Archbishop (Sister Fidelma, #2) The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4) Suffer Little Children (Sister Fidelma, #3) The Monk Who Vanished (Sister Fidelma, #7)