Start by marking “Temporary Agency (Unquenchable Fire, #2)” as Want to Read:
Temporary Agency (Unquenchable Fire, #2)

Temporary Agency (Unquenchable Fire #2)

When I was fourteen, a cousin of mine angered a Malignant One. It was a big case, a genuine scandal. Maybe you remember it. At the time, when it ended, I just wanted to forget about the whole thing. But a couple of years have passed and I guess maybe it's time to think about it again. Thus begins Ellen Pierson's story of how she helped her cousin Paul contend with the Mali ...more
Published May 1st 1995 by Overlook Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Temporary Agency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temporary Agency

Allison Magpayo
Oct 21, 2016 Allison Magpayo rated it really liked it
Lesbian witchpunk sci-fi( can we make that a thing?) at its finest. A short, easy read that still manages a decent level of world building and character development. I found the protagonist very likeable, which made up for some of the holes in the plot. I read this without knowing it was a sequel so perhaps some of the aforementioned plot holes would have been supplied by reading this book's predecessor, Unquenchable Fire. I appreciate that the author didn't shy away from the graphic/gory, and t ...more
Schnaucl
Dec 12, 2007 Schnaucl rated it it was ok
Before I picked up this book a friend of mine said she wanted to ask me after if I considered it urban fantasy and I think that question shaped my reading of the book. The short answer is no, I don't think it's urban fantasy. I'm not even sure a fantasy tag is appropriate. It felt more like scifi (which it definitely is not).

I don't normally think of myself as someone who focuses on world building, but I think because I went into the story trying to determine whether it should be included in a g
Ken
Oct 29, 2014 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew of Rachel Pollack from her work on the Vertigo Tarot and Doom Patrol, but I had absolutely no idea what to expect when I cracked this open for the first time years ago. Happy to say that the reread holds up; Temporary Agency is a unique and fantastical tale that manages to work in a few keen and witty observations about the world we live in.

The story takes place in a timeline in which manifestations of celestial beings happen on a regular basis. Because of this, neopagan concepts and know
Justin Howe
Feb 27, 2013 Justin Howe rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this from start to finish. Set in a alternate modern day sometime after a neopagan revolution brings Bright Ones into the world, it's a fun read that's also a bit gross when the angels start making people tear their own skin off. Best of all the book is short, and I appreciate that. Much rather have something be too light than have an author waste my time with 100 pages of world building.
Christa
Jul 28, 2011 Christa rated it it was ok
Shelves: 50-book-11
I like the concept that Pollack goes for but I find the meticulous descriptions sometimes get in the way of the action or the character's emotions. I get a little lost in the rituals, which although they're unique and interesting, end up detracting from the second half of the text. All I want is to see what happens with the entities at that point.
Jon
Aug 08, 2011 Jon rated it liked it
Interesting premise, but something just did not click with me. Maybe it was what, to me, felt like dissonance between the idea of beings with significant power who could be "controlled" by human actions that I saw as only superstitious and not spiritual.
Kylie
Jul 05, 2010 Kylie rated it it was ok
this was a fun, light read. I'm very into sci-fi alternate histories. lesbian sci-fi alternate history, even better. This one is not fleshed out very much. So, it's interesting but I'll probably forget it soon.
Catherine
Mar 25, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it
Just reread this again recently and it remains one of my favorite books in the genre. Pollack creates a unique spin on her own concept of "shamanic noir" with likable characters and creative world building. I need to read the first novel next but this one does stand alone. Highly recommended!
Alex Fayle
Feb 19, 2013 Alex Fayle marked it as to-read
I never knew there was a sequel to Unquenchable Fire. I doubt there is an e-version out there though...
Bliss
Sep 26, 2007 Bliss rated it really liked it
This was a good read. Fantasy combined with futuristic realism co-exist in the life of a young woman making her way in the world.
Seif
Seif rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Wasserperson
Wasserperson rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2008
Jodi
Jodi rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2011
Teneagles
Teneagles rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
May 09, 2008
Brianne Reeves
Brianne Reeves rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2015
Skwish
Skwish rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Jeff Clark
Jeff Clark rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Karlhanf
Karlhanf rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Kajal Basu
Kajal Basu rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Dominic Laventine
Dominic Laventine rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Stephen Theaker
Stephen Theaker rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2008
Yblees
Yblees rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2008
Olivia
Olivia rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2014
fieldtoolarge
fieldtoolarge rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Danyel
Danyel rated it really liked it
May 20, 2008
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Deserted Cities of the Heart
  • Celestis
  • The Silent Strength of Stones (Chapel Hollow #2)
  • Crescent City Rhapsody (Nanotech, #3)
  • The Road to Corlay (The White Bird of Kinship #1)
  • Mockingbird
  • To Crush the Moon (The Queendom of Sol #4)
  • Mission Child
  • Against Infinity (Jupiter Project, #2)
  • The Byworlder
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • Mars Crossing
  • Redshift Rendezvous
  • And Chaos Died
  • Picoverse
  • Eternity's End (Star Rigger, #5)
  • The Void Captain's Tale
  • City on Fire (Metropolitan, #2)
Rachel Pollack is an American science fiction author, comic book writer, and expert on divinatory tarot. Pollack has been a great influence on the women's spirituality movement.
More about Rachel Pollack...

Unquenchable Fire (2 books)
  • Unquenchable Fire (Unquenchable Fire, #1)