Start by marking “Twelve Pillars” as Want to Read:

Jim Rohn
Preview

Twelve Pillars

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  521 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Who would have guessed that when Michael Jones' car broke down on the side of the road it would be the beginning of a life-changing relationship?

Walking to the nearest house, Michael stumbles across a plantation-style mansion on an estate named “Twelve Pillars.” Charlie, the estate's caretaker, helps Michael get back on the road again and also strikes up a relationship wit
Nook, 128 pages
Published August 26th 2011 by Success Media (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Pillars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twelve Pillars

Ashley
Very good book. I've decided to start taking notes when I read this type of book (otherwise I won't remember anything I learned from it). These are my notes:

“The only way things are going to change for you is when you change.”
1. Work harder on yourself than you do on your job.

“You should make sure that the outside of you is a good reflection of the inside of you.”
2. Total well being- body, soul, spirit/ in balance.

“Time, effort, and imagination must be summoned constantly to keep any relations
photogrl2020
I chose to read this book next, honestly, because of it's brevity. I wanted to get a win under my belt early this year, since I've been dragging out how long it takes me to get through a book lately. The title caught my eye because I'd heard my parents mentioning it a while back. I was intrigued, but not super thrilled about the fact that it was written in "novel" form. I think personal growth books that are written as stories tend to be kind of cheesy. Not that they don't have good principles i ...more
Relleasy Harrison
Jim Rohn is great. Darren Hardden speaks highly of him in the compound effect. i recently watched some videos of him on you tube and they were very motivating. I am not that good at remembering the Author of certain books. when i went through my book collection the other day, I said wow, Jim Rohn is the author of this book.. interesting. The book is amazing though, its a short story about an old man who gives a life lesson to this young man. check it out for yourself. my boy quarter told me abou ...more
Jesse
Full disclosure: I was given this as a gift, and it was such an unexpected, gracious gesture that I was compelled to read it simply to let the person know I had in fact taken the time to read it. But, um, it's basically someone's self-help philosophy presented not in bullet points but in a(n almost insultingly thin) narrative form. I suppose this is good stuff and the its heart is certainly in the right place, but it's no deeper or complex than Oprah or Dr. Phil spoon-fed platitudes dished out f ...more
Brian
> Work harder on yourself than on your job
- Work as hard as you want, but if you don't work to increase your skill level, you won't go above your current pay/responsibility level

> Live a life of health
- Body (physical)
- Soul (personality, emotions, preferences, intellect)
- Spirit (the breath of life)

> The gift of relationships
- Relationships need time and effort to grow
- Use your imagination to improve your relationships

> Achieve your goals
- Write down your goals
- The real po
Neil Geisel
This is a real classic in sense of success principles. Though the story is predictable, there are some very good nuggets of success material and helpful reminders that are so foundational, we as leaders need to constantly maul over them. This is a great book to share with someone you are teaching, mentoring, or desire to help get them a start on improving themselves. I am particularly appreciative of page 78 which I dog eared for future reference. It is a list of twenty top recommended books to ...more
Sarah (readaholic)
Quotes I loved from the book

"We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons."

"You cannot change your destination overnight, but you can change your direction overnight."

"Communication is two or more people working together to find the common ground of understanding. And when they find that common ground, they are positioned to have tremendous power together."

"To lead others is to help th
Steven D. Long
Great book. Simple message but not easy to follow or implement. I believe if more persons read, studied and implemented information like this into their lives, they would be more successful and happier. I am trying to go down this road myself.
Katherine Beard
This is a success book very thinly disguised as a story. Read it like a success book, not a novel. The principles laid out are very good and are presented in easily-understandable, applicable ways. I'll spare the poor narrative a beating.
Dave
Excellent book. Should be used as required reading in High School. Great principles to learn and practice for life.
Ed
Probably useful if you get into it. The novel format of dispensing "truths" about success is getting overused and tiresome. I should probably rate it lower, but it will help some people if they get into it.
Rebecca Thatcher
Very inspirational book. I'm going to read it a second time now and take notes! I can't wait to learn more from Jim Rohn so I'm going to research some other titles of his and possibly You tube videos!!:)
Jermaine Sebadduka
Clearly demonstrate the fundamentals of Leaving a Happy and Successful Life!
Carrie
Inspirational book, but doesn't really teach you anything.
Amanda Rose
truly awful
Kellylr
Honestly, I would love to order a copy of this book & give it to everyone I know, or come across!! I recommend this book to anyone & everyone is looking to change their life, even just a little. It's a great book for the non-reader, as it's a really quick & easy read and flows as a story..."sort of feels like your watching T.V." said my non reading husband hehe :) It's one of those great books that I read at least once/twice a year. Great Book!!
Seth
This is a great little parable of success. It's a great introduction to self improvement. I would recommend this for anyone. Its a great little book!
Rich
Interesting read, just finished the audio book. I liked the story and concepts but the narration was not very good. Shouldve found someone to read this. Its not very long, easy to finish and some interesting ways to put it. It was easy to follow and predict but still worth the read.
Mary Augustyn
Jim Rohn and Chris Widener are favorite authors, speakers, mentors of mine. Just love to listen to anything these guys have to say. This book was great. Easy to read and yes it's a book to read over and over again because it's that good and it's a quick read!
Sunshine
A quick, easy read filled with simple, but important guidelines by which to live a more fulfilled life. Better yet, a list of books one should read is within one of the pillars of success, so now I have another read list to dig into.
Kate
A motivating 1-2 hour read...really gets you moving on your personal goals. If you want something refreshing while also being a refresher on what is most important to you, pick it up!
Adam
A great read, truly an inspirational book. Take as much or as little of it as you want...... but if just one pillar is applied to your life you will be better of becaue of it!
Alastair
Brilliant way to wrap up Jim Rohn's philosophies in a short-story format. If you are a fan of Jim's wisdom, you will thoroughly appreciate and enjoy this book.
Bernadette
It's good so far. I'm about halfway through. I'm learning a lot about how to be a better person. The author came to our Lia Sophia rally. He was amazing!
Nkem Paul
A must read for everyone. Easy to read and understand. Full of simple strategies to get to desired destinations expressed in story format. Highly recommended.
Natasia Angel
This book is good.. It doesn't only focus on how becoming rich, but also how to become a better person.. However, the end of the story is easy to guess..
Shauna Babb-atwell
This book taught 12 fundamental pillars that are necessary for success, leadership and growth. I wish I would have read this book a lot sooner.
Jamie
This is a book that I recommend for everyone to read! I am reading it to help withy my business but it has also helped me as a person.
Monica
Simple and truly inspirational. Help self book to follow how you can analyze and classified your friendships, your goals, and etc...
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • Voyage of a Viking
  • LIFE
  • Aspire: Discovering Your Purpose Through the Power of Words
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • The Slight Edge: Secret to a Successful Life
  • Freedom Shift: 3 Choices to Reclaim America's Destiny
  • Toughen Up!
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • The Angel Inside: Michelangelo's Secrets For Following Your Passion and Finding the Work You Love
  • The Compassionate Samurai: Being Extraordinary in an Ordinary World
  • Why You're Dumb, Sick, & Broke: And How to Get Smart, Healthy, & Rich!
  • 177 Mental Toughness Secrets of the World Class: The Thought Processes, Habits and Philosophies of the Great Ones
  • The Ultimate Life
  • An Enemy Called Average
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • Being a Happy Teenager
  • The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
Emanuel James "Jim" Rohn was an American entrepreneur, author and motivational speaker. His rags to riches story played a large part in his work, which influenced others in the personal development industry.

Rohn was the recipient of the 1985 National Speakers Association CPAE Award for excellence in speaking.
More about Jim Rohn...
The Art of Exceptional Living The Five Major Pieces to the Life Puzzle 7 Strategies for Wealth & Happiness: Power Ideas from America's Foremost Business Philosopher The Seasons of Life My Philosophy for Successful Living

“The best motivation is self-motivation. the guy says, "I wish someone would come by and turn me on." What if they don't show up? You've got to have a better plan for your life.” 2 likes