Start by marking “Beyond Boundaries: How To Know When It's Time To Risk Again” as Want to Read:
Beyond Boundaries: How To Know When It's Time To Risk Again

Beyond Boundaries: How To Know When It's Time To Risk Again

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  36 reviews
How do you know you're ready to trust again ... and what does it take to be ready?

Painful relationships violate our trust, causing us to close our hearts. But to experience the freedom and love God designed us for, we eventually have to take another risk.

Published September 27th 2011 by Zondervan (first published September 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Boundaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Boundaries

This latest volume in the Boundaries series is aimed at people who have serious trust issues after weathering difficult relationships. *raises hand* Townsend shares solid, practical tips for figuring out when you're ready to trust someone again, whether the other person is on the same page and worthy of your trust, when a relationship can be saved and when to cut your losses. His advice is applicable to all relationships, not only romantic ones (which he reiterates throughout the book). Beyond B ...more
Great book! I'm constantly impressed with the anointing of wisdom on John Townsend and Henry Cloud. I've read most of their books, and find them to be especially adept at getting complex thoughts across in a simple, engaging manner. Full of easy to follow guidelines, real-life examples, and natural progression in the book, it makes growing up fun (or at least seem achievable and desirable). Highly recommend!
Denise Harris-Farmer
I am taking my time with this book. I want to be sure to be as healed as I can be by the time I am done. This book has opened my eyes to so many things I never ever thought of in my life that were factors of my pain. I have been in therapy for many years and this has just been a tool in aiding that process along. I suffer from many traumas. Such as PTSD from date rape, abandondment, fatal car accident, prescription drug abuse, sex addiction, ADHD and so much more. But this book is helping me hel ...more
Jackie Mays

Good thought process to objectively look at your relationships. Sometimes it is worth rekindling relationships you had previously walked away from....if both have matured and the relationship is beneficial.
Brandon Halvorsen
I think the promo for this book describes it best -

In this breakthrough book, bestselling author Dr. John Townsend takes you beyond the pain of the past to discover how to re-enter a life of intimate relationships. Whether you’re trying to restore a current relationship or begin a new one, Townsend gives practical tools for establishing trust and finding the intimacy you long for. Beyond Boundaries will help you reinstate closeness with someone who broke your trust; discern when true change has
Beyond Boundaries is a wonderful and informative book for how to take your relationships to the next level, whether that is a friendship, business partnership, romantic relationship or something else. Dr. Townsend gives you guidelines for how to know when you're ready, when the other person is ready, and how to proceed as well as warning signs to watch out for. What I particularly enjoy about Dr. Townsend's writing and especially in this book is that he always gives examples. He doesn't just tel ...more
Excellent resource. As God has designed us for intimacy with others, Townsend emphasizes the importance of relationship. Since you can't live your whole life inside protective boundaries, Townsend first delineates how to move beyond painful relationships. He then addresses how to be a healthy person in relationship, how to know the person you are seeking relationship with is healthy, and how to work through speed bumps that arise in the process of relationship building.
The original Boundaries book truly changed my life when I read it last year, and I am just as impressed with this book. I know I will have to read it again as I move toward more healthy relationships in my life.

I was surprised to see how many of the things I have been pondering were addressed in the book and had actual reasons behind them. This book was so helpful in understanding what I have been going through in my difficult relationships and how to heal from them and examine myself and other
Donna Wright
Awesome book to give encouragement that we can overcome our past hurts and trust issues and begin to move forward in seeking safe relationships.
Great book for those learning about healthy relationships. Provides practical wisdom that is reader friendly.
I was in a different place when I read this one compared to the original Boundaries book, which was life changing for me. Beyond Boundaries simply was not as applicable to what I am experiencing in my life right now relationally speaking. Still, there were some "gold nuggets" to take away, especially in the first few chapters and in the chapter on dating and marriage, which is a strong suit for Townsend. Some of the later chapters seemed somewhat pedantic. Generally this book is for those who ar ...more
David Barnes
Read this in a Recovery Group for Men and it was a Great resource
Jamie Holloway
Just posted a review on my blog.
Christina Solensten
Invaluable resource for navigating relational issues. As a more "passive" person who is generally afraid of offending people, I sometimes get trampled on. Setting boundaries has been extremely important for asserting my own needs while still caring for the other person. This book was edifying and helped me through a difficult time. I would recommend this book even if you don't have any major relational conflicts: its practical advice can improve communication skills with any friend, coworker, or ...more
I didn't read the entire book, as much of it didn't pertain to what is happening in my life (i.e. marriage). But I did read the parts on trust - knowing when to trust again, and rebuilding relationships - signs of when to stay and when to walk away.

A great read for anyone that has in the past or is currently experiencing relationship problems. It helps you analyze when to let down your walls again. The book is somewhat based in religion, but it is not shoved down your throat (which I personally
A good book for those who want to give up on love after too many heartbreaks. Don't. Humans are wired to love and connect with one another.
Beccs Knox
This book helped me get past a rocky relationship that had just ended. After reading this book I was able to do alot of self realization and how I let my ex treat me poorly just by never standing up for myself. I recommended this book to my sister who was in the midst of a divorce and it helped her as well.
This is an amazing book and I like to believe "God sent". It spoke to my broken heart and loss of trust due to abandonment and rejection. It provides direction for both what I as a person needs to do as well as how to identify those people I should open up to and trust in order to avoid being hurt again.
Bill Buckingham
Found this book to be even better than Boundaries. While establishing boundaries is important, I found going beyond boundaries a great start to the question, "Now what?"

I have recommended this book, along with Boundaries, multiple times. Great book to improve current relationships or to start new ones.
A readable self-help book with specific guidelines on how to tell when something is either mildly or seriously wrong with a relationship--includes how to approach issues/how to ask questions, how to listen for answers, and when to walk away.
Chandra Moore
For anyone who's had their trust shattered and wants to learn more about boundaries and when it's ok to move beyond them into deeper relationships and intimacy, then this is a good biblically based guide.
A great look at when, where, why, and how it's safe to build a bridge of trust back into a relationship. I liked the use of Bible principles. Townsend has a great grasp on human nature too. Excellent for counseling situations!
Bara Lamon
This book revealed to me the relationships I don't want to let beyond my boundaries. I am much pickier with who I allow in my circle of influence. I feel wiser for it. Read this book.
This book had so much wisdom in it. Wisdom about relationships and trust and being an individual who has healthy interactions with others. SO SO good and timely and what I needed!
Well written, good information. Though some of it did not apply to me, this book contained some really insightful thoughts about ALL relationships.
Jessica Weleski
Really valuable book to read when a relationship has been broken; it gives steps to know what to do with the former relationship and how to move forward.
Lucille Zimmerman
Good information but somewhat tedious.
Michelle Bodle
An excellent follow up to Cloud and Townsend's Boundaries books for those wanting to apply boundaries to their lives in practical ways.
Edy Gies
Anyone who has struggled in relationships of any kind should read this book! I would highly recommend it.
Fred Thompson
This book brings it all home in applying the "Boundaries" concepts to restoration of failed relationships.
  • Boundaries Face to Face: How to Have That Difficult Conversation You've Been Avoiding
  • How We Love: Discover Your Love Style, Enhance Your Marriage
  • The Fantasy Fallacy: Exposing the Deeper Meaning Behind Sexual Thoughts
  • The Emotionally Destructive Relationship: Seeing It, Stopping It, Surviving It
  • Healing Is a Choice: 10 Decisions That Will Transform Your Life and 10 Lies That Can Prevent You from Making Them
  • Cracking the Communication Code: The Secret to Speaking Your Mate's Language; Love for Her, Respect for Him
  • Secrets to Exceptional Living: Transforming Your Life Through the Fruit of the Spirit
  • Sacred Companions: The Gift of Spiritual Friendship and Direction
  • The Sacred Search: What If It's Not about Who You Marry, But Why?
  • The Inner Experience: Notes on Contemplation
  • Embracing Obscurity: Becoming Nothing in Light of God’s Everything
  • Now You're Speaking My Language: Honest Communication and Deeper Intimacy for a Stronger Marriage
  • Darkness Is My Only Companion: A Christian Response to Mental Illness
  • Plan B: What Do You Do When God Doesn't Show Up the Way You Thought He Would?
  • How We Love Our Kids: The Five Love Styles of Parenting
  • What Your Childhood Memories Say about You: And What You Can Do about It
Boundaries with Teens: When to Say Yes, How to Say No Hiding from Love: How to Change the Withdrawal Patterns That Isolate and Imprison You Who's Pushing Your Buttons? Loving People: How to Love & Be Loved How to Be a Best Friend Forever: Making and Keeping Lifetime Relationships

“Healthy intimate relationships involve a dedication of one’s self to the betterment of the other. You need someone who will count the cost of having an attachment to you and who is willing to then make a real commitment.” 0 likes
“Love can’t rule when shame is in charge.” 0 likes