Start by marking “Frozen Stiff” as Want to Read:

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  146 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Published October 12th 1999 by Yearling (first published 1998)

Arvand Ossoli
Nov 18, 2014 Arvand Ossoli rated it really liked it
Sherry Shahan
Cody and her cousin Derek go on a kayaking trip in a wild fjord in Alaska. Things take a turn for the worst when Cody's kayak was lost in the river with a lot of precious supplies. They encounter menacing waves, immense icebergs, and wild animals while they try to kayak home with little supplies.
I enjoyed the book because it was realistic so I could imagine the events in my head very easily. The book was very descriptive and detailed.
"Now her hands were callused, from
Cathy
May 29, 2016 Cathy rated it liked it
Recommended to Cathy by: Battle of the Books 2016
What begins as a two-night camping and kayaking trek in the untamed Alaskan wilderness turns into a test of survival for Cody and her cousin Derek. While their mothers are in Juneau picking up supplies for Yakutat Lodge, the cousins sneak off in an old pickup. The taste of freedom is soon tainted when Cody's kayak is lost on the rising tide, washing away her life vest and precious supplies.

With only each other for support, the cousins face hunger and their fears of the unknown region of Southea
Stephanie
Mar 20, 2016 Stephanie rated it liked it
A solid adventure story, but not much else. The adventure pretty much started right away, so there wasn't a lot of character depth. I learned a bit about Cody along the way, but more background at the beginning and resolution at the end would have helped. I did enjoy the last third of the book when she and Derek got split up, but I felt there were some holes in the adventure, which made the whole thing seem unlikely. Still, not a bad Battle of the Books read.
Wendy
Jan 11, 2016 Wendy rated it really liked it
My 10-year-old son recommended this book to me :-)
He just knew I would love it as much as he did! It's a wonderfully written adventure story that is a real page turner. I liked that the adventure wasn't "dumbed down" for kids. The author wasn't afraid to tackle tough topics like divorce and the difficulty and possible hurt or death that could occur because of the savage Alaskan elements.

Very good little book!
Michele
Dec 26, 2013 Michele rated it liked it
This middle-grade survival story is packed with adventure. Cousins Cody and Derek sneak away from her Alaskan summer home for a camping/kayaking trip in glacial waters. It is immediately obvious that they are ill-prepared, but even though the main character Cody recognizes this, they still go ahead with their poorly planned excursion. They quickly encounter problems which get worse when they are trapped by rising water. The survival aspect of the story is detailed and adventurous. The characters ...more
Lucas Abroms
Aug 23, 2015 Lucas Abroms rated it liked it
This is a good adventure story about cousins - Cody and Derek - who get stranded in Alaska. They decide to go kayaking while their family is away, but their supplies get washed away and they are left fending did themselves. They show lots of courage and eventually manage to get back to safety.
Amber
Dec 20, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it
Read this to my boys and we LOVED it! Fast paced, good story of wilderness survival and some of the difficulties of life. All of my boys were drawn in, even the 7 year old who didn't want to be. Great book for kids!
Kathy
Jan 27, 2016 Kathy rated it liked it
Pretty good book about 2 kids who go on an adventure and end up stranded in the wilderness of Alaska. Not very believable, especially with the mystery man who helps the kids survive, but it was a fun adventure. Recommend to upper elementary.
Devin_Parker34
Jan 09, 2014 Devin_Parker34 rated it really liked it
If you were going on a camping trip, lose all of your items, and be stranded in the cold weather of Alaska what would you do? The book I read is called Frozen Stiff.
This book is based on true events! It's also hard to predict! Either you are being chased by a grizzly bear or freezing to death in the blistering cold.
I'm recommending this book to you because who doesn't like action and violence in one book? Plus, it's a true story which makes it scarier. This book is 160 pages long. I would r
Jody
May 07, 2016 Jody rated it really liked it
Here's yet another Battle of the Books book finally read! This one was good--very adventurous! I'd call it just right for any fifth grade-ish boy or girl!
Erin
Jan 02, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
Read this with my 11 year old son. He thought it was very boring. I liked it but I do like survival stories. I have never read anything about this area, Alaska and the huge glaciers. That part was interesting for me. I love historical fiction and this story was enlightening. I never realized something like this; a glacier creating a dam and trapping water, wildlife and sea creatures in the fjord, could happen. Now I know. I will be careful If I am ever up in that area at the end of the summer. I ...more
Kati
Dec 22, 2015 Kati rated it it was ok
2.5

More aptly named 'How to Most Definitely Die in the Wilderness'
Brady Starkel
Oct 23, 2012 Brady Starkel rated it it was ok
I thought that the book was pretty good, but it isn't the most favorite book that I've read. I thought that is was cool how Cody went after Derek when he went missing. I thought that she was very brave in that way. Also i was surprised that Derek left Cody like that all alone. Over all i thought it was an O.K. book.
Kathie
Jan 12, 2014 Kathie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Great adventure story
Emelia
Jan 25, 2012 Emelia rated it really liked it
My mom read this book to me when I was younger. At that point in my life I hated reading...but this book made me want to start reading! So this is one of the first official books I've read all the way through.
Amy
Jan 16, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok
Read this with my 9 year old. It's one of her "Battle of the Books" reads, but besides some suspense & natural history references, I thought it was just "okay".
Meredith Henning
Apr 09, 2010 Meredith Henning rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, emma
Nicole
Apr 01, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
i am re-reading this book cuz i don't really have anything else to read. but it is a pretty good book.
Amanda
Jan 20, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
cant really remember it but i do know that it is a good book. easy read but exciting.
Constance
Feb 03, 2009 Constance rated it did not like it
We were reading this for read aloud in school.
Lyssa daughter posidon/ Rose weasley fan!
It was agreat book just not my type.
Ben
Nov 25, 2011 Ben rated it really liked it
can't remember it well
Brittany
May 17, 2012 Brittany rated it liked it
Way too short.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Lincoln P.
Lincoln P. rated it did not like it
Aug 10, 2016
Amelia
Amelia added it
Aug 07, 2016
Mrs.
Mrs. marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 30, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
  • Boy of the Painted Cave
  • The Great Turkey Walk
  • The Volcano Disaster (Disaster Books, #1)
  • The Starplace
  • Jim Ugly
  • Alone in the Ice World
  • Boxes for Katje
  • The Kidnappers: A Mystery
  • Alias: The Pursuit: A Michael Vaughn Novel (Prequel Series #5)
  • The Missing Manatee
  • Chase
  • Christopher Mouse: The Tale of a Small Traveler
  • The Vandemark Mummy
  • Journey to Nowhere (Remembrance "Mem" Nye #1)
  • The Trouble with Tuck