Start by marking “Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels” as Want to Read:
Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels

Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  357 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Frances Kermeen bought the Myrtles Plantation of St Francisville with the dream of turning the historic site into a cosy inn. When it turned out to be haunted, she feared losing customers but interest in the ghosts meant she gained custom. Here, she tells stories collected from 150 haunted hotels across America.
Published October 1st 2002 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Ghostly Encounters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghostly Encounters

The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonHell House by Richard MathesonThe Woman in Black by Susan HillHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
Haunted Houses
147th out of 330 books — 415 voters
Dark World by Zak BagansThe Amityville Horror by Jay AnsonGrave's End by Elaine MercadoThe Myrtles Plantation by Frances KermeenGhosts of the North Carolina Shores by Micheal Rivers
Best Nonfiction Ghost Books
99th out of 102 books — 116 voters

More lists with this book...

Joyful
May 31, 2010 Joyful rated it it was amazing
Don't read this while you're traveling, like I did....Every hotel we stayed at I swore was haunted! :/ It is an amazing book. Well written, and full of great ghosty goodness!
Brandy
Jul 29, 2012 Brandy rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book!! It made me want to take a road trip across the US touring all the haunted inns/hotels!!
Deanne
Aug 16, 2015 Deanne rated it liked it
Lots of places I would love to visit if I ever win the lottery.
Katie
Mar 03, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing
A really fun read, with nice short chapters perfect for picking up when you have time (I read it mostly on the beach and lunch breaks at work). The cover blurb is a bit misleading. This is a travel guide of haunted inns and hotels with a brief history, stories of hauntings, and recommendations for places to eat and visit while you stay at each location. I would have liked even more detail for each chapter, but that's my only complaint!
Vanessa
Mar 14, 2016 Vanessa rated it really liked it
This book was very interesting, it makes me want to visit places I never thought about visiting in the US. I enjoyed the history behind each hotel and haunting, each sighting location, as well as little things to do. Next time I plan a trip within the USA, I will definitely try to stay at one of these places ;).
Debbie Heaton
Apr 06, 2015 Debbie Heaton rated it really liked it
In Kermeen’s supernatural book, the reader will visit historic bed-and-breakfasts with stunning antique décor, and luxury from the past. They will also learn about the phantom servants and ghostly voices calling from the other side. This is truly a one-of-a-kind tour of America’s most haunted places to stay.
Jul 08, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read. It talks a little about the history of the hotels/inns and people's experiences there. Each chapter is pretty short so it feels like a lot is left out. Still a good read though. Makes me want to book a stay at a haunted hotel!
Rebecca McNutt
Ghostly Encounters wasn't bad but it was really typical. The stories are just about the average ghost haunting routine.
Derrick College
Jun 21, 2014 Derrick College rated it really liked it
Good for tourists.. gives u a little history and legend about each place. I wanted to know more about both.
Tiff
Jan 18, 2015 Tiff rated it did not like it
I didn't finish it, sadly this is more of a travel guide to hotels then about the ghosts and ghosts stories not worth the read
Nicole
I readly like this book for those who like true encounters with ghosts and places to go and see them this is for you
Rachelle Hermanson
Aug 01, 2014 Rachelle Hermanson rated it it was amazing
I love a good ghost story and this one is full of them. Real life accounts, although it needs a little grammatical corrections-and the hilarious fact that the author refused to visit most of the locations herself-so these are second person accounts-this book is still great. The author is the owner of Myrtle Plantation-and has some interesting tales to tell.
Joanne
Apr 09, 2012 Joanne rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
This was really more of a travelogue than ghost stories. While the inns and hotels that are written about are haunted, I found that there was not enough written about the histories as there was about accomodations offered at each inn. I would have loved to learn about less inns than to read more about the hauntings.
RumBelle
Mar 12, 2016 RumBelle rated it really liked it
Haunted inns and hotels are some of my favorite places to read about. I think its because of the variety of locales that the hotels are set in, you get to see so many cultures and cities. Also, the people that frequent the hotels, and the events that transpire around them make for intriguing tales.
Keliana Lily
Jun 18, 2015 Keliana Lily rated it really liked it
: Great book! It was hard to put down. Very well written and leaves you wanting more. There really are some amazing stories in this book. It also makes you want to book a night in a haunted hotel.
Lauriegainer
Jun 19, 2008 Lauriegainer rated it it was ok
Not as good as the Myrtles book; mostly just short little chapters & kinda kitschy
Oct 09, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Interesting but the entries got kind of repetitive after awhile.
Lacey Triche
It was okay. I didn't like it as much as her book on The Myrtles.
Annie
Jun 29, 2009 Annie rated it really liked it
A great guide to America's haunted hotels and inns!
Molly
Sep 25, 2013 Molly rated it it was ok
kind of repetitive, but fun for a beach read
Tia
Tia marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Janice CA
Janice CA marked it as to-read
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
Amy Caudill
Amy Caudill rated it it was amazing
Debra B. Krozser
Debra B. Krozser rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Nichima Linda Marie Carson
Nichima Linda Marie Carson rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Angie
Angie is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2016
GabbieDewolfe
GabbieDewolfe rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Amanda M PONSLER
Amanda M PONSLER rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
I wonder if my friend's B&B is in here? 1 7 Sep 08, 2008 09:37AM
  • Encyclopedia of Haunted Places: Ghostly Locales from Around the World
  • Ghosts: True Encounters from the World Beyond
  • Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • Historic Haunted America
  • Ghosts Among Us: True Stories of Spirit Encounters
  • Ghosts Caught on Film: Photographs of the Paranormal
  • Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
  • Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps: True Tales of an Accidental Ghost Hunter
  • House of Spirits and Whispers: The True Story of a Haunted House
  • Haunted Heartland
  • Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
  • Don't Call Them Ghosts: The Spirit Children of Fontaine Manse