The Mind's Own Physician: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama on the Healing Power of Meditation

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  18 reviews
By inviting the Dalai Lama and leading researchers in medicine, psychology, and neuroscience to join in conversation, the Mind & Life Institute set the stage for a fascinating exploration of the healing potential of the human mind. The Mind’s Own Physician presents in its entirety the thirteenth Mind and Life dialogue, a discussion addressing a range of vital question...more
Published January 2nd 2012 by New Harbinger Publications (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Mind's Own Physician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mind's Own Physician

RandomAnthony
The Mind's Own Physician is a fascinating book. The text is an edited collection of transcripts from a conference where the Dalai Lama listened and responded to various presentations (from what I can tell) on the intersection between meditation/mindfulness and empirical brain research. Moderated dialogue and questions from the audience followed each presentation. I'm not a neurologist (they're the ones who study the brain, right?) but I could follow along with the science pretty well and compreh...more
Carol
'The Mind's Own Physician' is a dialogue in five sessions between the Dalai Lama and a set of physicians and researchers before an audience at the Mind and Life Institute. If you would like more information about the past or future sessions, here is the web address:

The dialogue in this book was aimed at finding meditation and mindfulness practices that could be incorporated in medicine. There are very many ways to meditate as HH Dalai Lama states. He didn’t have an ed...more
Hayley
This was a very interesting look into a growing research interest: How meditation can affect the brain and body.

The book is drawn directly from a conference among scientists and contemplatives -- people who practice or teach meditation for spirituality or therapeutic purposes.

"Meditation" here mostly focuses on Buddhism or on the "mindfulness" techniques that are drawn from/similar to certain Buddhist practices.

It may not be an easy read for all -- the neuroscience parts can be a little dense....more
Jim Parker
For centuries those of us in the west have treated the mind/brain and body and two separate entities. Most modern research shows this to be folly. This book while not providing the answers does provide a fertile ground for exploring how to resolve that divide.
Rachel
Title: The Mind's Own Physician:
by Jon Kabat-Zinn
A Scientific Dialogue With the Dalai Lama on the Healing Power of Meditation....

I won this book on Goodreads Giveaway!
Edited by world-renowned researchers Jon Kabat-Zinn and Richard J. Davidson, this book presents this remarkably dynamic interchange along with intriguing research findings that shed light on the nature of the mind, its capacity to refine itself through training, and its role in physical and emotional health.

If you are looking for...more
Lara
This book is an edited transcription of a 2005 conference with the Dalai Lama about meditation, the brain, and both physical and metal health. It included both spiritual and scientific experts and has an epilogue that summarizes achievements in the next 5 years, through 2011.

I found it quite interesting, and learned a great deal about how the brain functions and saw some very convincing evidence on how the use of certain types of meditation can reduce our experience of pain, prevent the relapse...more
Kim Heimbuch
This was a surprisingly good book, but I only give it three stars because I felt it could have done more to press the need for natural medicine in our overly medicated Western society.
Bringing together the worlds of Eastern medicine and Western medicine together, including the Dalai Lama and leading Western medicine scientists many questions were asked and brought to the attention of a wide audience and given the opportunity to share, learn, and change the way we think in the modern world. Only...more
Deborah

Sangha (community) is the whole of the practice
This emphasizes that we are not practicing in isolation. It is extremely important to cultivate environments, in terms of both human communities and harmonious relationship with one’s general environment.
Superstella
Really enjoyed this, as I do most things that are written by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. I have nothing but the utmost respect for him, and am constantly taken aback not only by his unwavering devotion to his spiritual ideals, but also his impressive intellect and curiosity about the world we live in. I only wish that every religious leader could approach the real world with the openness and willingness to learn and accept change that the Dalai Lama has shown. In other words, dude is wicked sma...more
Adam Sprague
This book is pretty darn cool. However, His Holiness, despite being the center of the meeting's attention, is more or less talked at rather than talked to. Even during discussion His Holiness is often only a light participator. This could be for any number of reasons, but I didn't enter to win this book to hear what Catholic Priests thought about meditation -- I entered to win this book to hear what HH thought!

That said, the presentations are quite interesting and I enjoyed this book quite a bit...more
GONZA
This is a wonderful book, so interesting that's amazing, I will keep on reading again and again. Based in a conference held in 2005 in which HH Dalai Lama spoke with scientist and neurologist about the healing power of meditation, and has a full update on the state of the art at the end.
Starting form the possible biological substrates of meditation and its relation with healing either the body and the mind we have a full review about last research in this field.
THANKS TO NEW HARBINGER PUBBLICAT...more
Kevin
"The Mind's Own Physician" had a lot of really interesting perspectives. The science of meditation is still in its early stages, and only time will tell whether it is truly as powerful and positive as many of this conference's participants believe. But for anyone who is interested in this intersection of eastern and western intellectual traditions, I would highly recommend reading this book.
Linda
I thourghly enjoyed reading the science behind the "faith". I have practiced meditation for years and it has changed my life and my HEALTH. Even my Western doctor has acknowledged that my mind over ruled my body, and he became a believer. I am giving my copy of this book to him, so now he can see the science behind it.
Chris Laws
Review of existing research on how meditation reduces stress, improves cognitive abilities, and heightens the immune system among other benefits. Transcribes the presentations from the 2005 Mind and Life Conference. Compelling evidence that meditation is a good supplement to modern medicine.
Michelle Mason
Fascinating to hear from these learned people from various walks of life about the potential and possibilities of healing through the power of the mind. Both science and medicine as well as contemplatives have much to offer in this arena. This is only the beginning....
marcali
another of the excellent Mind & Life series-- this has the ever awesome Robert Sapolsky, plus Wolf Singer and of course, Jon Kabat-Zinn & Alan Wallace (& H.H., natch).
Colette
This is actually a dialogue with the Dalai Lama and others. I may change my rating when I'm done.
Kevin Mcgovern
amazing read on the meeting of east and west. must read
Nina
Nina is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2014
Taylor Mayenschein
Taylor Mayenschein marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Sneha
Sneha marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Deanna Baker
Deanna Baker marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
David C
David C marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Wellington
Wellington marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Tabita Green
Tabita Green marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Shallee McArthur
Shallee McArthur marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Ashinpannissara
Ashinpannissara marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
The mind's Own Physician 1 4 Jan 01, 2012 06:23PM
  • Sleeping, Dreaming, and Dying: An Exploration of Consciousness
  • Bringing Home the Dharma: Awakening Right Where You Are
  • Awakening Loving-Kindness
  • Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain: How a New Science Reveals Our Extraordinary Potential to Transform Ourselves
  • Just One Thing: Developing a Buddha Brain One Simple Practice at a Time
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • The Essential Difference: Male And Female Brains And The Truth About Autism
  • Why Meditate: Working with Thoughts and Emotions
  • The Emotional Life of Your Brain: How Its Unique Patterns Affect the Way You Think, Feel, and Live--and How You Can Change Them
  • On Man in the Universe
  • Sal Mineo: A Biography
  • Meditation in Action
  • Healing Emotions: Conversations with the Dalai Lama on Mindfulness, Emotions, and Health
  • Deep Into The Heart of a Rose
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Shrinkage: Manhood, Marriage, and the Tumor That Tried to Kill Me
Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D., is founding Executive Director of the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. He is also the founding director of its renowned Stress Reduction Clinic and Professor of Medicine emeritus at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. He teaches mindfulness and Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)...more
More about Jon Kabat-Zinn...
Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness Mindfulness for Beginners Guided Mindfulness Meditation