Start by marking “Duct Tape Marketing Revised & Updated: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide” as Want to Read:

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  636 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Is Your Marketing as Simple, Effective, and Affordable as Duct Tape?

Let's face it, as a small business owner, you are really in the business of marketing. The problem for most small business owners is that they suffer from "marketing idea of the week" syndrome instead of implementing a systematic approach to the problem of small business marketing.

In "Duct Tape Marketing,"...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Duct Tape Marketing Revised & Updated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duct Tape Marketing Revised & Updated

Rob
Sep 08, 2010 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: small business owners and marketers
Recommended to Rob by: coppyblogger.com
Duct Tape Marketing claims, on its cover, to be “The World’s Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide,” and I think it largely owns up to its promise.

As a marketing guy at a small business (Cambridge Semantics) that’s only recently started to do any real marketing, I found this book to be well worth the read. The material presented doesn’t offer any new revelations. Instead, what it does do to give new life to familiar ground by laying out, in a step-by-step system, how to start from zero a...more
Bill Harrison
"Duct Tape Marketing" has a somewhat legendary status among small business marketers. There is a whole consulting industry centered around implementing the strategies discussed in this book. And by and large those strategies are very sound. For a small business with little or no marketing, this book is a great place to start. It will take you step by step through the process of creating a marketing function, prioritizing your marketing strategy, and implementing your plans. My only criticism is...more
Gogo
I first read Duct Tape Marketing a few years ago after coming across the author's website online, and picking up an excellent free report that gave me great ideas on improving my sales presentation packet.

The main idea of the book is to provide small businesses with a framework for marketing systematically and for sharing a consistent (coherent?) marketing message with leads, clients and even media.

Like its namesake product, this book is practical, versatile and delivers huge return on investme...more
Miguel
There is no silver bullet for the small business owner, but this book might be helpful to many

After having read two or three of these marketing books targeted at small businesses, I have come to the conclusion that the best thing for the genre is to follow some sort of middle way between being a haphazard assortment of tips and “secrets” and a proper system in which all the parts of a method click together like a well-oiled machine. This book achieves that to a considerable degree, by being a li...more
Robin
Kristian Norling
Confirmation bias alert! Apparently I'm doing a lot of things right regarding marketing in my own business.

The authors advice is good, practical and useful for any small business. Highly recommended!
Hilary
It's got some excellent ideas about getting and retaining customers, and covers some good tools and resources, but also unfortunately also suggests too many of those marketing tactics I find incredibly annoying (especially in the chapters about getting referrals and direct mail).

For those worried about the publication date it *has* been updated, and includes references to current web tools and strategies, but as you read it's obvious that the whole book hasn't been updated, just certain sections...more
Eric Ungs
This book definitely needs to be in the hands of anyone doing any kind of business. It's a thought-provoking read in the way you view your own business image and how you can get your customers to see it the same way, if not better. The short review tips at the end of each chapter are excellent refreshers and the examples are idea generators. Everyone is in the marketing business and finding out who your ideal customer is and what you are really selling is the start of a solid campaign. Part of t...more
Patrick Obolgogiani
Indeed, practical things ready to be implemented.
Jason Kosarek
Its hard to insult a book for being what it intended to be... but I'm going to. This book reads like a collection of blogs (which it is) and because of this reads with no cohesiveness. This made it difficult to keep interest.

I was reading this to see what cheap marketing techniques from the small business world can be used on a larger scale. There were a few, but the intended audience for this book would probably find this worlds more engaging.
Dave Bradbury
A book like this you are always 'currently reading' - this guy dwas EMyth Gerber's marketing guy. He really knows his stuff. I listened to this as an audio book when I was sitting in the car half the day commuting. Now I've got the book and have begun defacing it with notes and plans. Not the final word but an accessible start to intermediate how and why book of social/community marketing.
Reuben Rail
A necessity for anyone running their own business. Really. Jantsch gives an overview of the whole marketing process from A to Z and goes in at a readable depth with real life examples packed along the way. If you like it I also recommend checking out his blog at http://www.ducttapemarketing.com/blog to continue your business education.
Brian
A great book to continue my education into the field of marketing. This book struck a great balance between application and explanation. I came away with several ideas for myself, as well as some of the step-by-step actions to make them happen.
Highly recommended for the small business owner.
Justus
very interesting and systematic (as to be expected from an emyth guy) approach to marketing. Am reading in conjunction with guerrilla marketing and will be interested in how the two contrast. Definitely interested in purchasing this book to keep and reading Jantsch's next book.
Diana
I thought that this book was pretty good. It didn't contain a lot of inspirational motivational "you can do it" content. It clearly outlined concrete step-by-step strategies for marketing your small business. I know that I will be referring to it over and over again.
Fred Molesworth
Best overall marketing book out there, and a must read for small business. This book builds the foundation for anything else you might read on this topic, and John is a never ending source of other information as well through his blog posts, tweets, and posts on Google Plus
Ruth Harper
It was great for someone new to small business marketing. It had a lot of good ideas that I may or may not end up using. It took me a long time to get through but that was mostly my fault. I highlighted a bunch of the best points, though, so that will help me use the info!
Kim
Jan 23, 2008 Kim is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Entrepreneurs, small business owners, driven workers who'd like to get ahead
Recommended to Kim by: Robert
Haven't finished this book yet, but I have a feeling I'll never put it down for long. Jantsch gives business advice that isn't quite mind-blowing, but clever and practical. Duct Tape Marketing is essential reading for any entrepreneur who likes to stand out from the rest.
Gera Yeremin
This book really forces you to get specific about your target audience. It really make the point that only need 20 solid clients will take you a long way. It also has some surprisingly good Search Engine Optimisation advice for non technical and technical alike.
This book is a MUST READ for any business owner, especially those just starting or with no marketing experience. This book has useful information on every single page and it actually has made me excited to get out there and get to marketing.
Tanner
Though I could be bias because I really enjoy John Jantsch and his writings on his blog.

I give this a five star looking to build a foundation for their marketing strategy. Covers a lot of detail, providing examples.

Guidetothesoul
Great book for small businesses and start-ups to get a handle on the overwhelming task of getting the word out on their new products and services. The book has a wonderful & practical approach to marketing and it is an easy read.
Jim Carlson
Great book for a small business that needs to learn some practical things to do in marketing. Seems to be rooted in core marketing concepts taught at most B schools, but applied fro someone with a limited budget.
Kyle Smith
Pretty good "back to basics" book. Got some simple ideas that are effective. Some of the information is highly simple, such as the section on websites. Overall a good, easy read worth the time.
Melody
May 15, 2013 Melody rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all small business owners
Recommended to Melody by: John Jantsch
Very Practical guide for small business marketing. Having taken business management in college, I'd say this ought to be required reading for every small business.
Zach Brown
Great book for me as I start out with my own business. Gives me a great (and practical) framework on how to approach my business and how to market it.
Lori
I picked up a lot goods tips in regards to PR, finding and using blogs and networking . The rest I already knew but it was good refresher
Brandon Carlson
Good book, I listened to this on audio, but would definitely recommend a paper/eBook version instead.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on marketing planning for the knowledge worker, manager, executive, or entrepreneur.
Mike Winger
Great advice for the independent small business person who needs big results with limited resources.
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Marketing in the Age of Google: Your Online Strategy Is Your Business Strategy
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • Free Prize Inside: The Next Big Marketing Idea
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • The Wealthy Freelancer: 12 Secrets to a Great Income and an Enviable Lifestyle
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (and Other Social Networks)
The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself Duct Tape Marketing Revised & Updated: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide The Commitment Engine: Teaching Your Business to Manage Itself Duct Tape Selling: Think Like a Marketer-Sell Like a Superstar The Commitment Engine: Making Work Worth It

“Do you really have a business without being able to reach and motivate a customer?” 0 likes