Start by marking “Duct Tape Marketing Revised and Updated: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,671 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Is Your Marketing as Simple, Effective, and Affordable as Duct Tape?

Let's face it, as a small business owner, you are really in the business of marketing. The problem for most small business owners is that they suffer from "marketing idea of the week" syndrome instead of implementing a systematic approach to the problem of small business marketing.

In Duct Tape Marketing, r
Published September 27th 2011 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2006)

Rob
Sep 08, 2010 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: small business owners and marketers
Recommended to Rob by: coppyblogger.com
Duct Tape Marketing claims, on its cover, to be “The World’s Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide,” and I think it largely owns up to its promise.

As a marketing guy at a small business (Cambridge Semantics) that’s only recently started to do any real marketing, I found this book to be well worth the read. The material presented doesn’t offer any new revelations. Instead, what it does do to give new life to familiar ground by laying out, in a step-by-step system, how to start from zero a
Chad Warner
Aug 14, 2015 Chad Warner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: small business owners, marketers
This guide is bursting with small business marketing strategy and tactics. It’s well-written and practical, based on extensive firsthand experience. The system advocates an expanded version of the marketing funnel, content marketing, digital marketing, and lead conversion.

I found welcome advice about creating a core marketing message, positioning, and generating referrals. All of those are areas I’ve been working to refine with my web design agency, OptimWise.

I read this because I found the Duct
Josh Steimle
Great book for small business owners trying to figure out how to market on a budget.
Miguel
Sep 19, 2010 Miguel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is no silver bullet for the small business owner, but this book might be helpful to many

After having read two or three of these marketing books targeted at small businesses, I have come to the conclusion that the best thing for the genre is to follow some sort of middle way between being a haphazard assortment of tips and “secrets” and a proper system in which all the parts of a method click together like a well-oiled machine. This book achieves that to a considerable degree, by being a li
Robin
Dec 27, 2010 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gogo
Oct 28, 2011 Gogo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read Duct Tape Marketing a few years ago after coming across the author's website online, and picking up an excellent free report that gave me great ideas on improving my sales presentation packet.

The main idea of the book is to provide small businesses with a framework for marketing systematically and for sharing a consistent (coherent?) marketing message with leads, clients and even media.

Like its namesake product, this book is practical, versatile and delivers huge return on investme
Bill Harrison
Jun 20, 2011 Bill Harrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Duct Tape Marketing" has a somewhat legendary status among small business marketers. There is a whole consulting industry centered around implementing the strategies discussed in this book. And by and large those strategies are very sound. For a small business with little or no marketing, this book is a great place to start. It will take you step by step through the process of creating a marketing function, prioritizing your marketing strategy, and implementing your plans. My only criticism is ...more
Michael Tarpinian
The errors kept forcing me to put this book down. Otherwise, I would have read it in a month and rated it five stars and a favorite.

The marketing ideas are very good. This might be one of the top marketing books available for micro business and small business owners/marketers. The flaw is the editing. John's other work, such as articles or his podcast, all seem to have the same fast and loose quality control.

This book has typos, missing punctuation (including terminal punctuation like periods)
Eric Ungs
Sep 08, 2009 Eric Ungs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book definitely needs to be in the hands of anyone doing any kind of business. It's a thought-provoking read in the way you view your own business image and how you can get your customers to see it the same way, if not better. The short review tips at the end of each chapter are excellent refreshers and the examples are idea generators. Everyone is in the marketing business and finding out who your ideal customer is and what you are really selling is the start of a solid campaign. Part of t ...more
Hilary
It's got some excellent ideas about getting and retaining customers, and covers some good tools and resources, but also unfortunately also suggests too many of those marketing tactics I find incredibly annoying (especially in the chapters about getting referrals and direct mail).

For those worried about the publication date it *has* been updated, and includes references to current web tools and strategies, but as you read it's obvious that the whole book hasn't been updated, just certain sections
Scott Sakamoto
One of those "Have to Read" marketing books if you own your own business.

Written in 2006, it offers many good "Basic" ideas and concepts of how to communicate what your business does and what value you offer to a potential new customer or client. i.e. "What's in it for them".

An amusing note from me - because it was written in 2006, references to Internet Marketing have evolved "Lightyears" beyond what is stated in the book = Relevant, but their are many new Internet Marketing tools available now
Jason Kosarek
Its hard to insult a book for being what it intended to be... but I'm going to. This book reads like a collection of blogs (which it is) and because of this reads with no cohesiveness. This made it difficult to keep interest.

I was reading this to see what cheap marketing techniques from the small business world can be used on a larger scale. There were a few, but the intended audience for this book would probably find this worlds more engaging.
Jamie Belanger
I read the first half, then just sort of stopped. When I attempted to return to the book, I couldn't justify reading the latter half. At first, this was an interesting book, but then the author started veering into territory that my particular business simply doesn't need (like direct mail marketing). I lost interest around that point and stopped reading. But if you're running a retail business with a physical presence, you'd probably get a lot more out of that latter half than I did.
Jesse Stoddard
Jan 27, 2017 Jesse Stoddard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great overview and primer on marketing for all small businesses. It really does live up to the sub-title too. The only thing lacking is that the chapters involving technology are a bit dated. This could easily be fixed with a new edition, but the principles and concepts are very solid nonetheless. I used this book and the software as the basis for a complete marketing plan I wrote recently for a medium-sized company and we feel it was a worthy endeavor with tangible results.
Dani Rowley
This read as if Jantsch texted this whole book. I don't think I've ever read a less edited book. Even he is aware of his atrocious grammar but does nothing to correct it. It did have some useful tidbits but it ran predominantly on cliches. He hates telemarketing as a marketing tool but has no research to back that up.
Dave Bradbury
Jul 04, 2012 Dave Bradbury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book like this you are always 'currently reading' - this guy dwas EMyth Gerber's marketing guy. He really knows his stuff. I listened to this as an audio book when I was sitting in the car half the day commuting. Now I've got the book and have begun defacing it with notes and plans. Not the final word but an accessible start to intermediate how and why book of social/community marketing.
Reuben Rail
Jan 20, 2009 Reuben Rail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A necessity for anyone running their own business. Really. Jantsch gives an overview of the whole marketing process from A to Z and goes in at a readable depth with real life examples packed along the way. If you like it I also recommend checking out his blog at http://www.ducttapemarketing.com/blog to continue your business education.
Rebecca
Oct 12, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't get the jist of this book. It didn't feel like there was much I could apply personally, and there were a number of things that just didn't seem to make sense for what I expected. For me the best advice was the "talking logo", turning your stated business purpose into a short phrase. I think it is a better idea than an elevator speech as it seems a more natural segue to use.
Daron Yondem
Nov 09, 2014 Daron Yondem rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-learn
This is a very practical book where best practices and suggestions are offered instead of an understanding of how to craft your own best practices and strategies. I'm not saying the approach of the book is wrong but it is just something every reader might want to know. At the end this is "duct tape marketing" and the content matches perfectly.
Kristian Norling
May 26, 2014 Kristian Norling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confirmation bias alert! Apparently I'm doing a lot of things right regarding marketing in my own business.

The authors advice is good, practical and useful for any small business. Highly recommended!
Curtismchale
While there is a bunch of useful advice it could really use an update to deal with the state of marketing now and how digital technology has affected marketing.

It is a good reminder not to only use digital channels though. Hit the street and build relationships.
Justus
Oct 08, 2010 Justus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
very interesting and systematic (as to be expected from an emyth guy) approach to marketing. Am reading in conjunction with guerrilla marketing and will be interested in how the two contrast. Definitely interested in purchasing this book to keep and reading Jantsch's next book.
Tanner
Feb 27, 2010 Tanner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
Though I could be bias because I really enjoy John Jantsch and his writings on his blog.

I give this a five star looking to build a foundation for their marketing strategy. Covers a lot of detail, providing examples.

Guidetothesoul
Aug 31, 2012 Guidetothesoul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for small businesses and start-ups to get a handle on the overwhelming task of getting the word out on their new products and services. The book has a wonderful & practical approach to marketing and it is an easy read.
Aug 01, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a MUST READ for any business owner, especially those just starting or with no marketing experience. This book has useful information on every single page and it actually has made me excited to get out there and get to marketing.
Brian
Aug 06, 2013 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book to continue my education into the field of marketing. This book struck a great balance between application and explanation. I came away with several ideas for myself, as well as some of the step-by-step actions to make them happen.
Highly recommended for the small business owner.
Kim
Jan 23, 2008 Kim is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Entrepreneurs, small business owners, driven workers who'd like to get ahead
Recommended to Kim by: Robert
Haven't finished this book yet, but I have a feeling I'll never put it down for long. Jantsch gives business advice that isn't quite mind-blowing, but clever and practical. Duct Tape Marketing is essential reading for any entrepreneur who likes to stand out from the rest.
Brian Hawkins
Feb 14, 2015 Brian Hawkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Jantsch seems like one of the traditional businessmen that embraced change and came out way ahead because of it. There are a couple of small resources that are a little out of date but, overall, Duct Tape Marketing is a great book.
Randy Fox
If you are a business owner, this marketing book is a must. Yes, there's a lot to do and, no, you probably won't be able to do it all but what you do get done is sure to help. focused now on the internet, the book is full of nuggets that are useful to any type of business
Gera Yeremin
Feb 13, 2009 Gera Yeremin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This book really forces you to get specific about your target audience. It really make the point that only need 20 solid clients will take you a long way. It also has some surprisingly good Search Engine Optimisation advice for non technical and technical alike.
CPM Marketing & Its Future: An Analysis 1 2 Feb 06, 2016 08:50PM
  • Get Clients Now!: A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coaches
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • The Wealthy Freelancer
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • Free Marketing: 101 Low and No-Cost Ways to Grow Your Business, Online and Off
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Free Prize Inside: The Next Big Marketing Idea
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • Marketing in the Age of Google: Your Online Strategy Is Your Business Strategy
  • The End of Business as Usual: Rewire the Way You Work to Succeed in the Consumer Revolution
  • Selling the Dream
  • Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.
  • The Small Business Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Succeed in Your Small Business
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements

“My definition of marketing is: “getting someone who has a need, to know, like, and trust you.” 1 likes
“While advertising was once used primarily to create a sale or enhance an image, it must now be used to create awareness about Web content. • While SEO was at one time primarily a function of optimizing a Web site, it must now be a function of optimizing brand assets across social media. • While lead generation used to consist of broadcasting messages, it must now rely heavily on being found in the right place at the right time. • While lead conversion in the past often consisted of multiple sales calls to supply information, it must now supplement Web information gathering with value delivery. • While referrals used to be a simple matter of passing a name, they now rely heavily on an organization’s online reputation, ratings, and reviews. • While physical store location has always mattered, online location for the local business has become a life-and-death matter.” 1 likes