Start by marking “The Place Within: The Poetry of Pope John Paul II” as Want to Read:
The Place Within: The Poetry of Pope John Paul II

The Place Within: The Poetry of Pope John Paul II

The lyrical poetry of Pope John Paul II, available in paperback for the first time, to coincide with the papal visit to the U.S. this fall. In 1982, Random House released the Pope's Collected Poems; now Random House issues this volume in trade paperback, retitled The Place Within.
Published October 25th 1994 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Place Within, please sign up.

booklady
Sep 15, 2008 booklady rated it it was amazing
Recommended to booklady by: Morning Star
A collection of poetry worth owning, worth setting next to your Bible or in your prayer corner. The poetry reads more like reflections, wisps of impression. Many of the selections are short and can be tied to specific Scripture stories/people such as: Jacob; The Samaritan Woman; The Samaritan Woman Meditates; Simon of Cyrene; Her Amazement at Her Only Child; John Beseeches Her; First Moment of the Glorified Body; Magdalene, etc. Others are tied to places in the Holy Land or experiences of conver ...more
Liz
Sep 05, 2011 Liz rated it really liked it
Sometimes reading poetry feels like snooping in a private journal. This loosely organized collection, penned by the complex and influential beatified Pope John Paul II, is not to be missed. Though it is deeply religious, it also has beautiful and sensuous landscape descriptions, glimpses into Karol Wojtyla's innermost thoughts and impressions, vivid portraits of war-torn Poland, and meditations on God, humanity, life and death. It is both abstract and pinpoint specific and vivid. This collection ...more
Andrea
Jul 28, 2008 Andrea added it
Religion aside, I've always been drawn to Pope John Paul II. His poetry is creative and very expressive. I bought this book for my dad cuz he really liked this Pope, but I ended up reading it as well.
Nancy
Jun 16, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
one of the Totus Tuus team members we took out to dinner last weekend showed me this and asked if I had read it. Yes, I have! I love the poetry of John Paul II and I am tagging it here so I can go through it again this week and share with her my favorite two or three from this collection.
John
Aug 06, 2008 John rated it liked it
PPE 5/28/08
Talia
Aug 07, 2007 Talia rated it liked it
I'm not big into poetry, and this may even be really horrible as far as poetry goes, but I like picking this up every once in awhile and reading a poem or two!
Skylar Burris
Jan 09, 2009 Skylar Burris rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, christianity
An uneven collection; some quite good; some that really struck me, others that left little impact. Makes good devotional reading.
Edie
May 16, 2012 Edie rated it it was amazing
Very beautiful!
Brandon
Brandon rated it liked it
May 13, 2015
Karissa Morton
Karissa Morton rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2009
Regalia
Regalia rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2009
Allyson
Allyson rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2008
Jeni
Jeni rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2011
Briana Feiler
Briana Feiler rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2015
George
George rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2010
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2011
Louise Mitchell
Louise Mitchell rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Cici
Cici rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2011
Charmaine
Charmaine rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Aaron Hietpas
Aaron Hietpas rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Jana Crea
Jana Crea rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Grete
Grete rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Norene Moskalski
Norene Moskalski rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2013
Catcough
Catcough rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2009
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2014
Joanne Thomson
Joanne Thomson rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2010
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2009
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2009
Lai Parcon
Lai Parcon rated it really liked it
May 08, 2010
Saint Pope John Paul II (Latin: Ioannes Paulus II), born Karol Józef Wojtyła was elected Pope at the Conclave of 16 October 1978, and he took the name of John Paul II. On 22 October, the Lord's Day, he solemnly inaugurated his Petrine ministry as the 263rd successor to the Apostle. His pontificate, one of the longest in the history of the Church, lasted nearly 27 years.

Driven by his pastoral solic
More about Pope John Paul II...