Start by marking “The Place Within: The Poetry of Pope John Paul II” as Want to Read:
The Place Within: The Poetry of Pope John Paul II

The Place Within: The Poetry of Pope John Paul II

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The lyrical poetry of Pope John Paul II, available in paperback for the first time, to coincide with the papal visit to the U.S. this fall. In 1982, Random House released the Pope's Collected Poems; now Random House issues this volume in trade paperback, retitled The Place Within.
Published October 25th 1994 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Place Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Place Within

booklady
Jan 07, 2009 booklady rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to booklady by: Morning Star
A collection of poetry worth owning, worth setting next to your Bible or in your prayer corner. The poetry reads more like reflections, wisps of impression. Many of the selections are short and can be tied to specific Scripture stories/people such as: Jacob; The Samaritan Woman; The Samaritan Woman Meditates; Simon of Cyrene; Her Amazement at Her Only Child; John Beseeches Her; First Moment of the Glorified Body; Magdalene, etc. Others are tied to places in the Holy Land or experiences of conver ...more
Liz
Sometimes reading poetry feels like snooping in a private journal. This loosely organized collection, penned by the complex and influential beatified Pope John Paul II, is not to be missed. Though it is deeply religious, it also has beautiful and sensuous landscape descriptions, glimpses into Karol Wojtyla's innermost thoughts and impressions, vivid portraits of war-torn Poland, and meditations on God, humanity, life and death. It is both abstract and pinpoint specific and vivid. This collection ...more
Nancy
one of the Totus Tuus team members we took out to dinner last weekend showed me this and asked if I had read it. Yes, I have! I love the poetry of John Paul II and I am tagging it here so I can go through it again this week and share with her my favorite two or three from this collection.
Andrea
Jul 28, 2008 Andrea added it
Religion aside, I've always been drawn to Pope John Paul II. His poetry is creative and very expressive. I bought this book for my dad cuz he really liked this Pope, but I ended up reading it as well.
Talia
I'm not big into poetry, and this may even be really horrible as far as poetry goes, but I like picking this up every once in awhile and reading a poem or two!
Skylar Burris
An uneven collection; some quite good; some that really struck me, others that left little impact. Makes good devotional reading.
John
PPE 5/28/08
Edie
Very beautiful!
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Jamie Biddle
Jamie Biddle marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Keith
Keith added it
Mar 30, 2015
Dominicallain1mac.Com
Dominicallain1mac.Com marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Christopher Goffos
Christopher Goffos marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Stephanie Young elbanna
Stephanie Young elbanna marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Gina
Gina is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2015
Eden Orbista
Eden Orbista marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Gerald
Gerald marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Lizzie
Lizzie marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Michael Grogan
Michael Grogan marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Jerome Peterson
Jerome Peterson is currently reading it
May 27, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Mary Garcia
Mary Garcia marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Chance
Chance marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Baskintm
Baskintm marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Saint Pope John Paul II (Latin: Ioannes Paulus II), born Karol Józef Wojtyła.

The Cardinals elected him Pope at the Conclave of 16 October 1978, and he took the name of John Paul II. On 22 October, the Lord's Day, he solemnly inaugurated his Petrine ministry as the 263rd successor to the Apostle. His pontificate, one of the longest in the history of the Church, lasted nearly 27 years.
Driven by his
More about Pope John Paul II...
Crossing the Threshold of Hope Love and Responsibility The Gospel of Life Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body Fides Et Ratio: On the Relationship Between Faith and Reason: Encyclical Letter of John Paul II