Reversible Errors (Kindle County, #6)

Reversible Errors (Kindle County Legal Thriller #6)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  3,110 ratings  ·  138 reviews
A super-charged, exquisitely suspenseful novel about a vicious triple murder and the man condemned to die for it

Published October 29th 2002 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Reversible Errors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reversible Errors

Connie
I am not sure how I missed this Turow when it first came out, but I am very glad to have found it. He is such a master of the legal suspense and you travel right along with his characters through all the legal technicalities…which how Arthur Raven gets the case of Squirrel, sitting on death row and claiming his innocence.

Well of course he is innocent, isn't he? I travelled all the ups and downs with Arthur. The thing I enjoyed about this is that I would decide I knew exactly what had happened,...more
CC
Kindle County defense attorney, Arthur Raven, unlucky in love and downtrodden in spirit, is assigned to appeal Death Row inmate Rommy "Squirrel" Gandolph's case. And lo, against all odds, Squirrel, who confessed to murdering three people, may actually be innocent, and framed.

Turow is a master of character, and it was the portrayl of Arthur Raven and a former judge, Gillian Sullivan, that I found thrilling. Here are two characters so well-crafted that all other lawyer/suspense/who-done-it charact...more
Michelle Diener
I couldn't put this book down. The writing, in my opinion, is wonderful - the phrases so beautiful, at times I could hardly believe I was reading a courtroom thriller. Turow takes that hackneyed plot, the prisoner on deathrow who claims he's innoncent, and turns it into a masterful study of humanity's flaws and weaknesses, as well as their capacity for forgiveness and love.

Arthur Raven is a commercial lawyer appointed by the court to act for Rommy 'Squirrel' Gandolphi - a deathrow prisoner who...more
Cindy Barnett
Good plot, spoiled by graphic sex & some cussing (guess they gotta cover it all to entice more readers). Turow doesn't need that, he's a top notch author otherwise.
Curtis Edmonds
The world breaks everyone, Papa Hemingway said, and afterwards many are strong at the broken places. True enough, if the metaphor is about bones. Bones break, but bones knit, and bones can be stronger for the experience. It’s a strong metaphor, but it doesn’t cover everything, doesn’t include everything that can break.

Bones break, but hearts break too. That’s another metaphor, of course. Hearts don’t break the same way bones break. Bones break and shatter and splinter, and you go to the doctor a...more
Jack
Great story with good twists, terrific characters, learned a lot of law; 553 pages is a bit long for a "fun read" - I feel I should get some law school credits. Still, glad I finished it.
Jake Jarvi
Turow is such a great writer.

I love hearing about all the intricacies of the law from someone who's clearly spent so much time embroiled in it. He also keeps the legalese accessible so that you never feel lost and you feel like you're getting a deeper understanding of the legal process while he keeps you hooked into the personal lives of his characters. It's awesome.

His writing is so clever and filled with so many fleshed out voices and points of view. This is my second Turow book and I can't w...more
Don Stanton
bookczuk
I read Scott Turow's Presumed Innocent which I liked, and its sequel, with which I was less enthralled. Then I got lawyered out by all the lawyer/crime/mystery books that proliferated like bunnies. This book was one my mother had looked forward to reading and purchased to read. I don't know if she ever did, but there were several clippings tucked carefully inside the book, which I have affixed to the back cover.

The plot revolves around the approaching death of a man convicted of a triple murder....more
Sara
I'm read this book for my "Death Penalty" class. I struggled to get through the first half of the book, but once I could tell where the plot was going, I got into it.

If I ever have a craving for a lawyer book, I will probably pick up another Scott Turow book again. He did a good job creating a plot that wound itself around a couple times. I had no idea where he was going for a while, but once I figured it out, there were no surprises in store for me.

I'm not sure if I was supposed to feel bad fo...more
Jerry
Solid Turow: Strong characters, strong plot; fine reading!

Turow has doggedly stuck to writing one book every three years since 1987, no doubt because he still is busy doing real lawyering. Maybe this pace has helped preserve the quality of his work, and to us “Errors”, his seventh novel, is no exception. A fine premise – a death row convict next up for lethal injection, Rommy Gandolph, has filed his last plea for review of his case, protesting his innocence by insisting the many confessions he...more
Cbear215
Cindy
I like legal stories. Scott Turow writes legal stories. I thought I would really like this book. In fact, I did like the story - it had so much potential, but the writing was just meh. So disappointing because I think in a different author's hands, it could have been a much better book. Rommy "Squirrel" Gandolph is an inmate on death row, convicted for a triple homicide for which ten years later with his death soon to be scheduled, he now claims innocence. This is essentially a story about what...more
Patti
The law is boring. There are myriad reasons why I left the legal profession, not the least of which is that the law is f'in boring. So maybe it makes sense that a book about the intricacies of the law is likewise rather boring.

Like the legal process, this book plodded along slowly, telling the tale of "Squirrel", a man who is on death row and is now proclaiming his innocence. Despite being the focus of the book, Squirrel is never a narrator of the book. That is, we never hear directly from him....more
Johnsergeant
Downloaded from Audible.com

Narrator: J. R. Horne
Publisher: Random House Audio, 2002
Length: 14 hours and 30 min.

Publisher's Summary
Rommy "Squirrel" Gandolph is a Yellow Man, an inmate on death row for a 1991 triple murder in Kindle County. His slow progress toward certain execution is nearing completion when Arthur Raven, a corporate lawyer who is Rommy's reluctant court-appointed representative, receives word that another inmate may have new evidence that will exonerate Gandolph.

Arthur's opponen...more
Deborah Robb
Pretty good read (actually listened to CDs while driving to-from work). Story about a lawyer who represents a death row inmate who swears he didn't kill the three people he's been convicted of killing. Side story involving the lawyer's romance with the judge who presided over the murder trial who ended up having a drug problem and going to prison. Now out of prison, she ends up helping the lawyer unravel the mystery of who actually killed the 3 people that day.
Richard
Another uneven effort from Turow. An interesting premise (Let's save an innocent man from death row!), a few fairly pedestrian twists (He did it! Wait, no he didn't!), a mostly lackluster investigation and a whole lot of personal drama.

I actually cared more about Arthur and Gillian's private lives than the case here. Arthur's sister, too was a character I grew to like and Turow is a good enough writer that I felt fully invested in their eventual fates.

But I had big big problems with the limited,...more
Brent Soderstrum
Turow tells the story of an average lawyer from Kindle County who is assigned to represent Rommy "Squirrel" Gandolph in the final months before his execution for the murder of three people about 10 years ago. Arthur Raven work leads him to interact with the Judge who presided over Squirrel's original trial Gillian Sullivan. Gillian has recently got out of prison for accepting bribes and she has had past heroin problems.

On the other side of the appeal is Murriel Wynn, who was the prosecutor in th...more
Tim
It's not Presumed Innocent, but it did grip me with wonderful, flawed characters, finely-wrought arguments, and costly bonehead mistakes. It really makes us wonder: in our lives, which of our errors are truly reversible? Like the many legal arguments in this book, Turow's answer to that obvious thematic question is nuanced. Sure, you can't go home again, but can you be redeemed? And if not redeemed, can you at least be right? And if you can't even be right, can you at least feel that you did you...more
Sam
I would give it more of a 3.5, but that is not an option

This was a great story, but not a fantastic book. The story of a Romney, a man who is about to be put to death for 3 murders that he says he did not commit, gets you interested from the get go. Turow takes you back and forth from the investigation in 1991 and the attempts of Arthur, the lawyer, to try and prove that Romney is innocent. There are 4 main characters, Arthur, an former Judge, the Prosecuting Attorney and the lead detective. The...more
Gina Rheault
It can be depressing to spend much time in the hard, all-consuming life of police, prosecutors, and politicians, and defense lawyers, and the inexact legal system where truth runs out the door as it is trimmed for presentation in court. One feels for the poor schmucks with bad luck who get caught in all the messy sewerage of criminality and drown in it because they haven't got the advocacy that cleverer, richer schmucks often buy.

Pretty good story, pretty good writing, pretty good characters, a...more
Alison Clayton-smith
May 18, 2014 Alison Clayton-smith marked it as tried-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Was leant this book by my mum. Gave up after 2nd chapter. Just not my thing and came across as a little too misogynistic/macho in these first pages for me to want to persist. Have not given it a star rating because I don't feel it's fair to, not having read the whole book.
Mark Edlund
legal Mystery
Turow writes about an old capital murder case and how two crusading lawyers try to get him off. While listening to it I lost track when he kept jumping back and forth in time. Interesting premise and great characters.
Canadian reference - an obscure one about 3,000 unemployed Canadians (?)
Razvan Banciu
one of turow's best. more than a policier, a book about truth, friendship, love and human nature. the plot is not the greatest one, but characters are vigouros, full of live and quite likeable, especially arthur. a book I warmly recommand...
Bracy Ratcliff
I picked this up by accident at a book fair--for only 50 cents; but, quickly realized I'd read it before (maybe twice), and I just recently saw the movie starring Tom Selleck. It's a good story, well told, but it's hard to be objective in this situation. I knew exactly what was coming around each turn, so there were no surprises. It fit nicely into my definition of a happy ending, however, and for that I recommend it to adult readers. The affair between the homicide detective and the PA gets a l...more
Alex
Turow gets into the heads of prosecutors and defense attorneys in a way that's honest and nonjudgemental, an especially impressive feat when he's writing about the death penalty. Though a writer of legal thrillers, Turow is just as good at tackling the human condition as he is at coming up with plot twists. That said, he writes about love more adroitly than he writes about sex. (He can be guilty of purple prose.) In the end, the ebb and flow of the relationships between the characters in this no...more
Jigar Doshi
Brilliant court-room drama and battle of wits between two lawyers. A tale which is spread across decades. Makes for a nice read. Brilliant writing. Worth a read.
Tad Deshler
It took me a while to get into the story, especially given the frequent switch in timelines and the multiple names for some characters. Once I got oriented, however, it was a pretty good read (or listen actually). As with many books of this genre, the ending is not always the happy one you might wish.
Bob Duchene
A good book that kept my interest throughout. A few too many names and characters for the story but overall would say if you like The Lincoln Lawyer series this may be a good read for you. A couple of semi graphic sex episodes but nothing compared to what you se on TV I suppose.
Katariina
Jul 29, 2014 Katariina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Rekisteröin kirjan BookCrossing.com-sivustolla!
Goodreads Librari...: Inaccurate first publication dates 2 19 Apr 13, 2013 06:44AM
where to buy a kindle 1 7 May 17, 2012 07:11AM
  • The Jury (Paul Madriani, #6)
  • Silent Witness (Tony Lord #2)
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • After Dark
  • The First Counsel
Scott F. Turow is an American author and a practicing lawyer. Turow has written eight fiction and two nonfiction books, which have been translated into over 20 languages and have sold over 25 million copies. Movies have been based on several of his books.

Series:
* Kindle County Legal Thriller

More about Scott Turow...
Presumed Innocent (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #1) The Burden of Proof (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #2) Innocent (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #8) Pleading Guilty (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #3) One L: The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School

“He smiled hesitantly and she smiled back in the same fashion, but he was unsettled by the thought that Muriel had undergone a transformation. Some of the stuff that had come out of her mouth lately, about God or babies, made him wonder if she’d had a brain transplant at some point in the last ten years. It was funny what happened to people after forty, when they realized that our place here on earth was leased, not owned.” 4 likes