Start by marking “Celebrations: Rituals of Peace and Prayer” as Want to Read:
Celebrations: Rituals of Peace and Prayer

Celebrations: Rituals of Peace and Prayer

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Grace, dignity, and eloquence have long been hallmarks of Maya Angelou’s poetry. Her measured verses have stirred our souls, energized our minds, and healed our hearts. Whether offering hope in the darkest of nights or expressing sincere joy at the extraordinariness of the everyday, Maya Angelou has served as our common voice.

Celebrations is a collection of timely and tim
Published September 7th 2011 by Random House (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Celebrations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celebrations

Jillian Marie
I'm happy that I decided to get this on audiobook. It was chilling to hear it in Maya Angelou's voice.
Shannon
Reading Celebrations: Rituals of Peace and Prayer the week Maya Angelou slipped into eternal peace seemed fitting.... This small book of her poems is generously endowed with sparkling gems of wisdom. My favorite among them is found in "Ben Lear's Bar Mitzvah" and reads,

...Please know,
prayers lay in the road where you will plant
your feet.
Please know that aspirations of your family are high at
your back, and surround you entirely.
Please know
that great hopes of your devoted shower
you with
arden
Dan Gobble
I was deeply saddened by the passing of this great lady in 2014. What a national treasure. As we wind down the remainder of the year, I pulled out this volume to receive a blessing from her words as I prepare for a new year ahead. I offer her own words back up in memory of all those great writers we've lost in 2014:

When great trees fall,
rocks on distant hills shudder,
lions hunker down
in tall grasses,
and even elephants
lumber after safety.

When great trees fall
in forests,
small things recoil into si
Carol
I'm a big groupie of Maya Angelou, and dating back to Clinton's Inauguration, was my introduction to her. She drew me in, and I've really appreciated her works since then. I heard her speak at Oprah's 50th celebration. I've read other works of hers, and if I know she is appearing on something, I try to be available to watch/listen to her. She has a depth and dignity to her that I love. She relates to me and to her audience in such a way that brings peace, comfort and joy. I really like the feeli ...more
Marlin Jenkins
Maya Angelou is an interesting and important figure: inspiring, fun, charismatic, strong. She was a wonderful woman who was great to listen to. But I don't feel that all of these positive attributes consistently find themselves in the quality of her poetry, at least as it exists on the printed page.

The opening poem of this book, "On the Pulse of the Morning," (which is probably my favorite occasional poem) is an effective balance of the positive, unique impact occasional poetry can have. It's an
Leanne

This is the first I've been exposed to Maya Angelou, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about her poetry. I was definitely most impressed with Sons and Daughters, but some, specifically In and Out of Time, seemed rather cliche. The author reads somewhat slowly, but I was pleased I got the audiobook version anyhow, as many of these poems do have a lovely rhythm to them.

Where I think Angelou succeeds the most is in her social writing. She writes often of people yearning for peace, and of childre

Eileen
What a gifted writer, speaker and human being. I am so glad her legacy lives on in her writing. This is one of those books you keep forever. It's a collection of poems Dr. Angelou wrote for very specific occasions: the lighting of the National Christmas Tree, in the face of the loss of Luther Vandross and Barry White, Mother's Day, etc. It spoke to my heart and got me focused on what really matters.
Sherry
Maya Angelou is a genius, plain and simple. Her words are like honey. They trickle down into the soul, little by little, slowly, soothing pain and lifting the spirit on their way. Every piece in this collection marks some special event, thus the title Celebrations. "On the Pulse of the Morning," read at President Clinton's inauguration; "Amazing Peace," presented at the 2005 lighting of the National Christmas Tree at the White House; "A Brave and Startling Truth," which marked the fiftieth anniv ...more
Megan
This is a tough volume to review. A few of the poems were fantastic -- but others just didn't do it for me. Several of the poems were written for particular events, which didn't translate well to a general reading.
Jessica (j*&p*)
This was a lovely, short collection of poems from Maya Angelou. It contained the poems she wrote for the inauguration of President Clinton, for the UN, for Oprah Winfrey's 50th birthday, and for her nephew's bar mitzvah, as well as others. I liked all of them, but the two that really touched my heart were "Mother" and the very last poem "A Prayer for Peace."

Her messages of celebrating peace and friendship, working towards justice and equality and taking time to express gratitude to the importan
Susan
This little compilation of poems on peace from Maya Angelou contains some tiny gems. Many were written for specific occasions: they are intimately personal and yet universal as well. For example, "Continue," written for Oprah Winfrey's 50th birthday, can be read as directed to any of us, a celebration of what we have done and a reminder that it is important to keep doing it. "Sons and Daughters" states powerfully the plea for us all to recognize our common humanity. There are also little pieces ...more
Janice Jones
'Mother' is my favorite in this volume of greatness. Brings me to tears everytime I read it. No one writes with this kind of passion and wisdom and love anymore.
Austin Wright
Three stars because it is Angelou....miscellaneous poems, one if for Oprah Winfrey.

I recommend her earlier works--as this was much too corporate for my tastes.
Lara Jerengan
I enjoyed most of the poetry. I love Maya Angelou's work, and I was grateful to hear her voice again. On The Pulse Of the Morning is my favorite. I will miss her.
Wayne Gilbert
You say you need some encouragement, peace, and hope? Then you have found the right book to read. Every poem is moving and Maya Angelou's soul covers each page.
Mary Louise
Several of these poems spoke so beautifully an eloquently to me. They were exactly what I needed to read in the moments I read them. A wonderful collection.
Nicole
~ We can be. Be and be better. ~
Sarah Ansani
It"s good to know that poetry is still ceremonious; however, I do not care for inspirational poetry that dwells in pleasantries.
Kerry
I don't read a great deal of poetry but Maya Angelou's work is always stunning. This small collection of verse more than lives up to that standard. I particularly recommend the following poems:

When Great Trees Fall

A Black Woman Speaks to Black Manhood

Mother

Ben Lear's Bar Mitzvah

Prayer
Cindy
This is the first book of poetry I have read written by Maya Angelou. It was an easy read, but very deep in meaning at the same time. One of those feel-good books that you could read again and again.
Tam
LOVED this book of poetry. She writes with a rhythm that reminds you of your breathing - in and out. Paced and comfortable - like it was born from her very essence.
Rachel
Jan 07, 2010 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of maya angelou
Shelves: poetry, non-fiction
A moving short collection of poetry, accesible even to people like me who hardly ever read poetry, emotive, hope and thought inspiring with a clear message.
Glenis Redmond
This book affirms how some poets move in the world -- as Quincy Troupe says "as a healing agent and not a disease."
Marita
Not my usual thing to read, but poetry is at times very powerful. Very nice to listen to these poems.
Robin
What can I say....Maya Angelou is one of my favorite writers, especially of contemporary poetry.
Nicole
Not a big poetry fan, but there's no denying that Maya Angelou is a powerful writer.
Krissi
Very moving prayers. Included things from her point of view. A short read.
Fatima
Like her letter to "Oprah"

Like "Letter to my Daughter" much better.
Amy
A nice book of poetry by Maya Angelou. I enjoyed reading it.
Melissa
Enjoyed these poems and especially hearing her read them
  • Valentines
  • Poetry Speaks: Hear Great Poets Read Their Work from Tennyson to Plath [with 3 CDs]
  • Heartsongs
  • The Collected Poems of Lucille Clifton 1965-2010
  • Islamic Mystical Poetry: Sufi Verse from the Early Mystics to Rumi
  • In My Father's House
  • Ami regresa
Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Ann Johnson April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, was an American poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal. Maya Angelou is known for her series of six autobiographies, starting with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, (1969 which was n ...more
More about Maya Angelou...
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings The Heart of a Woman  Letter to My Daughter Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now The Complete Collected Poems

“Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer. And let faith be the bridge you build to overcome evil and welcome good.” 964 likes
“On this platform of peace, we can create a language
to translate ourselves to ourselves and to each other.”
5 likes