Programming Perl

Programming Perl

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,064 ratings  ·  38 reviews
This is the authoritative guide to the hottest new UNIX utility in years, coauthored by its creator, Larry Wall. Perl is a language for easily manipulating text, files, and processes. Perl provides a more concise and readable way to do many jobs that were formerly accomplished (with difficulty) by programming in the C language or one of the shells. Even though Perl is not...more
Published January 8th 1991 by O'Reilly Media (first published 1991)

Apple84 Wylie
Aug 04, 2008 Apple84 Wylie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Apple84 by: Perl newbies.
The "camel" book. This book should be everyone's initiation into Perl. It is a great way to get your feet wet and start to see the scope of what Perl can do. Read this one first, "Intermediate Perl" 2nd, for object oriented programming in Perl. If you're still around after that, grab the "Perl Cookbook" to learn some nifty tricks.
Russel
This book is the holy grail of Perl programming, it's a must read!
Nick Black
Mar 23, 2008 Nick Black marked it as wtf-do-i-have-this  ·  review of another edition
ewww, perl! I hope GoodReads recognizes this as a valid 0-star review, and not a lack of decision. Someone should have put a bullet in Larry Wall's head two decades ago and spared us all an awful lot of messianic nonsense, but then we'd be without Steve Yegge's incredibly awesome "Ancient Languages: Perl" article, with this epic quote of excellence:

"Perl 6 is not the answer. Damien gave perhaps the most compelling PowerPoint presentation in the history of technology when he visited us at Amazon...more
Ezra
There are some really good gems of wisdom in this, such as the meditation on the three qualities of a good programmer (laziness, impatience, and hubris, along with a warning against false laziness, false impatience, and false hubris).

And it taught me the value of highly opinionated language designers.

However, some of the particulars of the opinions-- and the attitude with which they're presented-- reveal a big part of why I haven't been able to stomach much Perl for the last 8 or 9 years (e.g. "...more
R.M. Morrien
I needed this reference book because I couldn't get Perl into my head. I always could find the answers in this book, but I moved to other programming languages after a few months of Perl.
djcb
Best book on Perl I have (and have read). Too bad Perl isn't so hot anymore...
James Swenson
Would you believe it if I said that a programming manual was compusively readable? Pick up this book: I particularly recommend Chapter 27, "Perl as Culture" -- including the subsection on "Perl poetry."

Oh -- it's also a really useful reference, as should be expected, because the author is also the creator of the programming language.

Along with the camel, you'll probably want the llama.
Disa
I read this book back when it was only a couple years published. I laughed really hard and puzzled through the programming. I didn't have what it took to stick with Perl. I moved quickly into areas where I had better prospects. Recently, I've returned to dabble a little in areas where Perl is a solid choice and am having all these fond memories. I'm not sure I'll pick this up and read it again just yet. I also remember the llama book being more helpful getting me off the ground and I might revis...more
John Dalton
The "Camel Book", as this book is often called, is the Perl Bible. It's not only an exhaustive reference, but clearly written any *funny* to boot. The humour pervades the text, making a sometimes dry subject much more approachable.[return][return]No Perl programmer can afford to be without this book, and anybody considering writing a technical reference should refer to this book to see how it's done.
Joe
Apr 28, 2007 Joe rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any serious perl 5 programmer
I give it a marginal 5 stars, mostly for all the use I've gotten out of it. The organization of the book is not the best, for example it would be nice if other keywords and reserved symbols (like, say, "while" or "{") were covered in detail in an easy to find ordered reference section, as the functions are. But it's still the best Perl reference out there.
Jeramey Crawford
I don't really like programming in Perl anymore, but if you need a reference that has a light dose of nerd humor, this is the one to get. Do note that the vast majority of what you'll find here is also in the man pages (most of the time with identical text) so make sure you've looked there first.
Will
This book has more information in the first few chapters than most entire perl books. I am a big fan of the "logically break things down to every last detail" genre of programming manuals (see The C Programming Language, Programming in Lua) and this book is one of the great examples of it.
Todd Johnson
The book gets four stars, because I've gotten a ton of use out of it. However, the language gets 2 stars, because its syntax is so ridiculous that I can never remember it and have to read this book everytime I want to munge text.
Jack Repenning
Excellent reference work. It was better, back in the first edition, when the programming examples were co-bound, but it's really getting so huge (all the useful libraries) I can see why they don't do that any more.

TMTOWDI!
carl  theaker

This was the text for a Perl class and appropriately
so as it was taught by Tom Christiansen one of the authors.
Contains all the perls of wisdom you should need for this
language.
Ed
My first day of PERL was August 21, 1998, and I have been hooked on it every since, and I don't know why? If you need or like PERL then you gotta have this book. It should be called the PERL Bible.
Nicholas Hunter
Too big to read right through and too poorly organized to be a reliable reference. SAM's Perl in 24 Hours is a much better beginner's book, IMHO, and the online documentation is definitive.
Edward Ceaser
May 13, 2008 Edward Ceaser rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: computer
easily the most worthless reference you'll ever read. Perl is awesome, this isn't, unless you don't ever want to find any useful information in a reasonable amount of time.
Nathan Herring
To be fair, I love Perl. I learned mostly on the 2nd edition, but this is the one on my shelf. Seriously in-depth but still easy to consume and then use as an indexable reference.
Andy
Sad to say, but these days I spend more time poring over this doorstop than anything else. It's comprehensive, and it helps that it's occasionally witty as well.
za
Wah, ini buku primbon Perl! Bagus sekali buku ini, untuk menjadi pakar pemrograman bahas Perl. Sayang, buku ini lebih sering jadi hiasan saja di kamar ku ;-)
Peter
An essential reference, which is referred to any time I need to build a new Perl script. Three stars for the humor, which makes the book enjoyable.
Alan
excellent book. I really enjoyed this. It basically brought me up to speed in about a day on perl. This is a classic in my library.
Charlie
Granted, I did not read this cover to cover, but very close to it.

For anyone hacking away at perl, this is the bible.
Libcrypt
2nd edition is much better. All the LoTR references and hey-I'm-so-clever Perl jokes are fuckin' tiresome.
David
While I don't recommend doing anything in Perl, this was a great book back in the day.
Duong
I owe so much to this book. It would not be exaggerating to say this box changed my life.
Frank
Classic perl programming book, back when hashes were 'associative arrays'.
Marc Towersap
great geek perl book, should be on every perl developers bookshelf
RJ
Oct 30, 2008 RJ added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: perl
Programming Perl (3rd Edition) by Larry Wall (2000)
Did you like this book? Join O'Reilly Media's fan group 1 9 Oct 20, 2009 10:54AM
  • Perl Cookbook, Second Edition
  • Programming Pearls
  • UNIX System Administration Handbook
  • Learning the bash Shell

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Learning Perl Intermediate Perl Learning Perl Objects, References, and Modules Learning Perl on WIN32 Systems Learning Perl