Start by marking “Programming Perl” as Want to Read:
Programming Perl

Programming Perl

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,800 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
This is the authoritative guide to the hottest new UNIX utility in years, coauthored by its creator, Larry Wall. Perl is a language for easily manipulating text, files, and processes. Perl provides a more concise and readable way to do many jobs that were formerly accomplished (with difficulty) by programming in the C language or one of the shells. Even though Perl is not ...more
Published January 8th 1991 by O'Reilly Media (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Programming Perl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming Perl

Apple84 Wylie
Aug 04, 2008 Apple84 Wylie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Apple84 by: Perl newbies.
The "camel" book. This book should be everyone's initiation into Perl. It is a great way to get your feet wet and start to see the scope of what Perl can do. Read this one first, "Intermediate Perl" 2nd, for object oriented programming in Perl. If you're still around after that, grab the "Perl Cookbook" to learn some nifty tricks.
Anton Shevtsov
Jun 09, 2011 Anton Shevtsov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Библия perl "Camelbook" - это один из тех источников к которому обращаешься постоянно в работе с Perl. Самое фундаментальное, основательное и, что немаловажно, человекочитабельное издание легендарной книги.

Всем начинающим, и продвинутым разработчикам рекомендуется в качестве настольной книги.
Russel
Dec 02, 2008 Russel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the holy grail of Perl programming, it's a must read!
Kyle Church
Jan 07, 2016 Kyle Church rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though Perl plays less and less of a role in my life every year, and has not been aging well, I still have to give this a good review for amount of time I enjoyed pouring over and referencing this wonderfully-written book, and how big a part of my programming life the book and the language were to me. Messing around with Perl back in the day, with this book on my desk, is what gave me a real passion for programming. Simply one of the most excellent books of its type, in spite of everything.
Marin
May 25, 2015 Marin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a mixed opinion kind of thing, a lot like the language itself. I think that if you find yourself strangely attached to Perl, you will also experience a strange attachment with this book. It feels as organic and chaotic as the language design and using it as a reference is a lot like using Perl to solve a problem - it's all there, it's just arranged in potentially ridiculous ways.

If you are considering using a printed copy of this book as a reference in this day and age, you should c
Nick Black
Mar 23, 2008 Nick Black marked it as wtf-do-i-have-this  ·  review of another edition
ewww, perl! I hope GoodReads recognizes this as a valid 0-star review, and not a lack of decision. Someone should have put a bullet in Larry Wall's head two decades ago and spared us all an awful lot of messianic nonsense, but then we'd be without Steve Yegge's incredibly awesome "Ancient Languages: Perl" article, with this epic quote of excellence:

"Perl 6 is not the answer. Damien gave perhaps the most compelling PowerPoint presentation in the history of technology when he visited us at Amazon
Clintweathers
Sep 22, 2014 Clintweathers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perl was my first language after not having written any code for 25 years and ASM being my weapon of choice during the 8-bit 6502 days.

This book not only taught me about Perl, but filled in a lot of the gaps in programming theory that I'd missed when I taught myself as a teenager.

It works well as a tutorial guide, as a reference, and as an intro to Comp Sci text.

I have it at my elbow whenever I work in Perl.
Phil Moyer
Jan 15, 2016 Phil Moyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The original PERL book, written by Larry Wall, the designer/creator of PERL. Probably a bit dated now, I read this many years ago when PERL was first released and I needed to teach myself this "new" language. As with all the O'Reilly series of books, this is a good introduction to the language that will get you up and running in short order.
Ezra
Feb 17, 2009 Ezra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some really good gems of wisdom in this, such as the meditation on the three qualities of a good programmer (laziness, impatience, and hubris, along with a warning against false laziness, false impatience, and false hubris).

And it taught me the value of highly opinionated language designers.

However, some of the particulars of the opinions-- and the attitude with which they're presented-- reveal a big part of why I haven't been able to stomach much Perl for the last 8 or 9 years (e.g. "
R.M. Morrien
Feb 10, 2014 R.M. Morrien rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
I needed this reference book because I couldn't get Perl into my head. I always could find the answers in this book, but I moved to other programming languages after a few months of Perl.
djcb
Feb 11, 2014 djcb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Best book on Perl I have (and have read). Too bad Perl isn't so hot anymore...
Alex
Feb 17, 2015 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about perl. Definite must read for every perl developer.
Bruce Orcutt
Aug 27, 2014 Bruce Orcutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must have reference for those needing to program in PERL.
Rick Eversole
Feb 18, 2016 Rick Eversole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the Perl Camel book. Need I say more?
Dan Fraser
Aug 14, 2015 Dan Fraser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the definitive book on Perl.
James Swenson
May 15, 2012 James Swenson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Would you believe it if I said that a programming manual was compusively readable? Pick up this book: I particularly recommend Chapter 27, "Perl as Culture" -- including the subsection on "Perl poetry."

Oh -- it's also a really useful reference, as should be expected, because the author is also the creator of the programming language.

Along with the camel, you'll probably want the llama.
Disa
Apr 07, 2013 Disa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computing
I read this book back when it was only a couple years published. I laughed really hard and puzzled through the programming. I didn't have what it took to stick with Perl. I moved quickly into areas where I had better prospects. Recently, I've returned to dabble a little in areas where Perl is a solid choice and am having all these fond memories. I'm not sure I'll pick this up and read it again just yet. I also remember the llama book being more helpful getting me off the ground and I might revis ...more
John Dalton
The "Camel Book", as this book is often called, is the Perl Bible. It's not only an exhaustive reference, but clearly written any *funny* to boot. The humour pervades the text, making a sometimes dry subject much more approachable.[return][return]No Perl programmer can afford to be without this book, and anybody considering writing a technical reference should refer to this book to see how it's done.
Qubitng
Strange obsession that natural language syntax with all its ambiguity is something to aspire to. Many people love this book but I never really understood why. Information about a topic is scattered all over the place. I think I got more use from the "Perl Pocket Reference". Today I think the online Perldoc and many Perl blogs are easier to use than this book.
Joe
Apr 28, 2007 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any serious perl 5 programmer
I give it a marginal 5 stars, mostly for all the use I've gotten out of it. The organization of the book is not the best, for example it would be nice if other keywords and reserved symbols (like, say, "while" or "{") were covered in detail in an easy to find ordered reference section, as the functions are. But it's still the best Perl reference out there.
Jeramey Crawford
Jul 21, 2007 Jeramey Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't really like programming in Perl anymore, but if you need a reference that has a light dose of nerd humor, this is the one to get. Do note that the vast majority of what you'll find here is also in the man pages (most of the time with identical text) so make sure you've looked there first.
Will
Aug 02, 2007 Will rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has more information in the first few chapters than most entire perl books. I am a big fan of the "logically break things down to every last detail" genre of programming manuals (see The C Programming Language, Programming in Lua) and this book is one of the great examples of it.
Todd Johnson
The book gets four stars, because I've gotten a ton of use out of it. However, the language gets 2 stars, because its syntax is so ridiculous that I can never remember it and have to read this book everytime I want to munge text.
Jack Repenning
Dec 22, 2010 Jack Repenning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Excellent reference work. It was better, back in the first edition, when the programming examples were co-bound, but it's really getting so huge (all the useful libraries) I can see why they don't do that any more.

TMTOWDI!
carl  theaker

This was the text for a Perl class and appropriately
so as it was taught by Tom Christiansen one of the authors.
Contains all the perls of wisdom you should need for this
language.
Ed
Feb 05, 2009 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first day of PERL was August 21, 1998, and I have been hooked on it every since, and I don't know why? If you need or like PERL then you gotta have this book. It should be called the PERL Bible.
Nicholas Hunter
Too big to read right through and too poorly organized to be a reliable reference. SAM's Perl in 24 Hours is a much better beginner's book, IMHO, and the online documentation is definitive.
Edward Ceaser
May 13, 2008 Edward Ceaser rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: computer
easily the most worthless reference you'll ever read. Perl is awesome, this isn't, unless you don't ever want to find any useful information in a reasonable amount of time.
Nathan Herring
Dec 08, 2009 Nathan Herring rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, tutorial
To be fair, I love Perl. I learned mostly on the 2nd edition, but this is the one on my shelf. Seriously in-depth but still easy to consume and then use as an indexable reference.
Andy
Aug 17, 2007 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad to say, but these days I spend more time poring over this doorstop than anything else. It's comprehensive, and it helps that it's occasionally witty as well.
Did you like this book? Join O'Reilly Media's fan group 1 12 Oct 20, 2009 10:54AM
  • Learning Perl
  • TCP/IP Network Administration
  • DNS and BIND
  • Essential System Administration
  • Practical C Programming
  • UNIX in a Nutshell: System V Edition: A Desktop Quick Reference for System V Release 4 and Solaris 2.0
  • Learning Python
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide
  • Lex & Yacc
  • Learning XML

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »