If Wishes Were Horses

If Wishes Were Horses

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Sarah Wylde did not move from Chicago to a small town to get involved with a man. Particularly one like Justin Herne, a man far too mesmerizing and dynamic to be in a rural town like Lilesville. To make matters worse, Herne runs a sex shop in the unincorporated limits of Lilesville, and Sarah is Lilesville's new police chief. She doesn't care whether or not the locals call...more
Published November 30th 2004 by Ellora's Cave (first published December 12th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about If Wishes Were Horses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Wishes Were Horses

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
May 7, 2014: Rating downgraded from 5 to 4 stars.

photo Bildschirmfoto2013-04-30um214103_zps18284cac.png

This is bliss at its best, delivered by the very gifted Joey W. Hill. She is definitely one of the main reasons why I love to read--I seriously adore her.

Sarah Wylde is the chief of the Lilesville police department and she is trespassing private property. The property belongs to Justin Herne, owner of a local sensuality boutique. It's not a sex shop. Sarah is surprised to hear strange voices, raised in a chanting song, and she is witnessing a Wicc...more
Michele ~ la Smoocherina
I thought this book was pretty good. There are a lot of elements of the Wiccan religion and it's portrayed respectfully. It's definitely fantasy. In the beginning, I found the Hero to be feminine in my mind, but that eventually changed. Well written as per usual with Ms. Hill.

I thought it was very erotic and I loved the understanding and reverence Justin has of women. The leg orgasm was awesome, and for me believable. A woman's sex organ is her mind. This book showed that to a tee.
Adrienne
Apr 28, 2010 Adrienne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Adrienne by: No one found it in the second hand book store
Ok 4 stars maybe 41/2 for this nice story from one of my favourite authors. This is an erotic romance with it's theme set in suspense to which there is a paranormal element. Sarah (tired of the big city and following a divorce from an unloving husband) ends up in leafy Lilesville. One night when out for a run on privately owned land she stumbles across something that blows her mind. Justin Herne ( OMG what can I say about Justin except if we all had a man like him we'd be in seventh heaven LOL)...more
Marion
Sarah Wylde is the new police chief in Lilesville. One evening she goes jogging through her neighbors ( Justin Herne) land and comes across a man and woman performing a strange sexual ritual. Justin is a Wiccan priest and owns the local women sex shop. He notices that Sarah is spying on him and that night breaks into her house to confront her. Once he is face to face with her he knows that she is his soul mate.
Sarah just went through a divorce and does not trust men anymore. That does not stop h...more
Glamdring

“If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.” He lifted his head, looked at her. “We’d all ride.”

Another beautiful story by Joey W. Hill. The story wasn’t only hot but also highly sensual.

Her body shoved away her inhibitions in a way it never had, mowed them over like an eager child overriding its mother’s feeble protests in the face of an offer of candy. This wasn't just candy. This wasn't even a whole candy store. This was a child's paradise of endless treasure to discover, summer days...more
Cheap and Lazy
Like the novella "Chance of a Lifetime," this is a relatively light read for Joey Hill. You can always count on Joey to give you heroines you can believe in and heroes you can't wait to dream about (along with some pretty hot love scenes to get you started). This story is far from an exception to that. Other than some bondage in the first chapter, there aren't any BDSM elements, although Justin is a minor character in her BDSM series, Nature of Desire. Just lots of romance and heat with a little...more
Dee
I wasn't sure if it would be a 3.5 or 4 stars but what I really liked outweighed what I didn't therefore I think it does deserve the 4 stars

Full review to follow
Oleta Blaylock
I read this book when it first came out and loved it then. I feel no different about this story now. I love Joey W. Hill's work and it never gets old. She is one of the best writers on the market today. I found several things in this story that didn't click before. The first is a description of a fountain in Justin Herne's garden that is part of the store. The fountain portrays a mermaid and an angel twine together. The description reminds me of the cover of A Mermaid's Kiss. It brought up memor...more
Noura Ariz
This book has some supernatural elements to it, although it is about Justin and Sarah - characters that appear in other Nature of Desire series that has no supernatural elements at all in them. So this book struck me as weird. BUT! the story itself is good. It is sweet, a bit weird, but very sexy all the same.

Justin is probably the sexiest straight-male character in the NoD series. He's the owner os a sensuality boutique (a non-seedy name for a sex shop...but if there is such a shop, one wouldn...more
Ameliah
This is the first book I've read by Joey Hill. I understand she usually has bdsm undertones. This book didn't have much for those who read he for that, however this is a very erotic read! Ms Hill is a very descriptive and captavating writer. I felt the book moved a bit slowly for me but it was good. The rituals and other parts of the story were well written and drew me in. I think I will have to check out her other work!
C C
I used to believe we have to heal our own wounds to be able to love others, but I don't think that's true. All we need is accept the love of others, because there are broken places that can't be healed without that. It would be like a pitcher trying to glue its own handle back on.
Bridget
Really a 4.5, but couldn't quite go to a full 5. Whew, this started HOT. I really love Hill's writing. She is not a lazy author but weaves a wonderful story. Justin is a sensual man who runs a shop selling erotic lingerie, literature, romantic decor and much more, including classes in tantra etc. New police chief Sarah is immediately drawn to the mysterious man. The relationship moves faster than she can deal with, so we have the necessary conflicts mixed up with a murder investigation that draw...more
Cphe
This is probably not as an intense read as some of the other offerings by this very talented author. She has been an auto buy for me for quite some time.

This is Justin and Sarah's story, a couple that were featured in the end of Marguerite and Tyler's journey. This was somewhat different in that it did have some paranormal/supernatural flavours, and the BDSM aspect was toned down somewhat. This was more of a sensual, romantic read, with plenty of sizzle,

As with other books by the author, this wa...more
Gina (bibliobuff)
This book wasn't anything like I expected it to be - and I haven't yet decided whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. The paranormal elements came out of the blue and a good portion of it read like a Tantric guidebook. Ladies, if your man needs some tips on how to keep things steamy in the bedroom for you, have him read Chapters 8 and 11. Joey W. Hill played out the slow-moving sensuality well, but the rest of the plot was a bit out there. If I was expecting a paranormal book, I may not hav...more
Tammy Kuster
It was really good reading
Spynonu
This book is like a sultry Southern summer day, the kind of day that makes you feel hot and bothered, needing to strip down to the bare minimum to find some relief.

Joey Hill is gifted at building characters that immerse you in their joys and pains. And of course the sex is always ooooh, ahhh, inspiring. The spiritual elements and the mystery of things not seen make this book one not to be put down until the final page is read.

Wishes are horses - enjoy the ride.
Gee
Hmm. It's hard to rate this one. The romance was hot, which I loved. The rest of the story.....well it was just a little weird with New Age pagan rituals and demonic incubi. Not really up my alley. But Ms. Hill can't write a bad book. Even the weirdness wasn't enough to make me put it down. And the HEA ending is up my alley, so I give it 3 solid stars.
Imjstgr8
Wow.... that sums this book up in one word from beginning to end. Hot. Hot. Hot. I really enjoyed the interaction between the characters. Great portrayal of Wicca and informative. I'm glad that the erotic store was described as tasteful and not tacky. Joey W. Hill has a way with words that is absolutely enthralling.
Kerry  sullivan
Although I enjoyed this book I found the supernatural aspect to the story a little wishy-washy. I didn't find justin as engaging as some of her other leading men even a little bit vanilla compared to some of her other main men.
Julia
I though a different paranormal milieu would help me enjoy Hill's fiction a bit more, but I think it's safe to say that this spiritual, dominance/submission character motivation doesn't really work for me.
Kiwi Sarah
3 1/2 stars - an enjoyble , slighly fantastical read, Hill writes in this genre with poetic skill and a focus on the relationships as much as the sex. An enjoyable fast read.
ElaineY
I did not find this book sensual or erotic. There's the non-vanilla sex, of course, but no depth to the relationship and I did not find Herne an attractive man.
Anansigirl
This short read tugged my heart. I would have loved it if it was a bit longer, but I know Herne and Sarah appeared in the Nature of Desire series, so it's all good.
Ann
3.5 SENSUAL, different. Calling this one PNR but it's sorta kinda not really, just don't know which of my categories to list this one under.
Erin
I dare you to read the first chapter of this book and not find yourself totally hooked. Another great one from on of the greatest authors today.
Jean
I thought this story was really cute and sexy, I was particularly fond of the hero.
Moira
Always love anything by Joey W. Hill. Excellent book. Yummy characters!!
Glynda Roy
I love well written erotica. Joey W Hill is a master.
Elizabeth
Minus 2 stars for the paranormal element
  • Dreamwalker
  • Shifting Hearts (Wiccan Haus, #1)
  • Awaken, My Love
  • Enchained
  • Unlaced (Knights of the Board Room, #2)
  • Dragon's Rise (Shadow of the Dragon, #3)
  • Satisfaction Guaranteed
  • A Change of Seasons (Seasons of Pleasure, #5)
  • Fetish
  • The Satin Sash
  • Maiden and the Monster
  • The Fifth Favor
  • Promises Prevail (Promises, #3)
  • Lost Star (Interstellar Service & Discipline, #0.5)
  • Wildfire (Wild, #1)
  • Switch
  • Cops and Cowboys (Cowboys and Captive, #1)
  • Sexy Devil (Psychic Hunters #1)
I’ve always had an aversion to reading, watching or hearing interviews of favorite actors, authors, musicians, etc. because so often the real person doesn’t measure up to the beauty of the art they produce. Their politics or religion are distasteful, or they’re shallow and self-absorbed, a vacuous mop-head without a lick of sense. From then on, though I may appreciate their craft or art, it has so...more
More about Joey W. Hill...
The Vampire Queen's Servant (Vampire Queen, #1) Natural Law (Nature of Desire, #2) Rough Canvas (Nature of Desire, #6) Board Resolution (Knights of the Board Room, #1) The Mark of the Vampire Queen (Vampire Queen, #2)