Start by marking “If Wishes Were Horses” as Want to Read:
If Wishes Were Horses

If Wishes Were Horses

Sarah Wylde did not move from Chicago to a small town to get involved with a man. Particularly one like Justin Herne, a man far too mesmerizing and dynamic to be in a rural town like Lilesville. To make matters worse, Herne runs a sex shop in the unincorporated limits of Lilesville, and Sarah is Lilesville's new police chief. She doesn't care whether or not the locals call ...more
Published November 30th 2004 by Ellora's Cave (first published December 12th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about If Wishes Were Horses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Wishes Were Horses

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
May 7, 2014: Rating downgraded from 5 to 4 stars.

photo Bildschirmfoto2013-04-30um214103_zps18284cac.png

This is bliss at its best, delivered by the very gifted Joey W. Hill. She is definitely one of the main reasons why I love to read--I seriously adore her.

Sarah Wylde is the chief of the Lilesville police department and she is trespassing private property. The property belongs to Justin Herne, owner of a local sensuality boutique. It's not a sex shop. Sarah is surprised to hear strange voices, raised in a chanting song, and she is witnessing a Wicc
Michele ~ la Smoocherina
I thought this book was pretty good. There are a lot of elements of the Wiccan religion and it's portrayed respectfully. It's definitely fantasy. In the beginning, I found the Hero to be feminine in my mind, but that eventually changed. Well written as per usual with Ms. Hill.

I thought it was very erotic and I loved the understanding and reverence Justin has of women. The leg orgasm was awesome, and for me believable. A woman's sex organ is her mind. This book showed that to a tee.
Adrienne
Apr 23, 2010 Adrienne rated it really liked it
Recommended to Adrienne by: No one found it in the second hand book store
Ok 4 stars maybe 41/2 for this nice story from one of my favourite authors. This is an erotic romance with it's theme set in suspense to which there is a paranormal element. Sarah (tired of the big city and following a divorce from an unloving husband) ends up in leafy Lilesville. One night when out for a run on privately owned land she stumbles across something that blows her mind. Justin Herne ( OMG what can I say about Justin except if we all had a man like him we'd be in seventh heaven LOL) ...more
Marion
Jun 23, 2008 Marion rated it liked it
Sarah Wylde is the new police chief in Lilesville. One evening she goes jogging through her neighbors ( Justin Herne) land and comes across a man and woman performing a strange sexual ritual. Justin is a Wiccan priest and owns the local women sex shop. He notices that Sarah is spying on him and that night breaks into her house to confront her. Once he is face to face with her he knows that she is his soul mate.
Sarah just went through a divorce and does not trust men anymore. That does not stop h
Glamdring
May 06, 2013 Glamdring rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantica, 2013

“If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.” He lifted his head, looked at her. “We’d all ride.”

Another beautiful story by Joey W. Hill. The story wasn’t only hot but also highly sensual.

Her body shoved away her inhibitions in a way it never had, mowed them over like an eager child overriding its mother’s feeble protests in the face of an offer of candy. This wasn't just candy. This wasn't even a whole candy store. This was a child's paradise of endless treasure to discover, summer day
Rene' Hurt
Jan 31, 2017 Rene' Hurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second chance at love

Sarah is this cop from a bigger city with a broken heart. Justin is a owner of a erotic shop. Their relationship is intense. If you want to find out how their story ends you'll need to read this book. Joey has a great way of story telling. You can feel that your there.
Lit Reader
Jun 01, 2017 Lit Reader rated it it was amazing
This was absolute perfection in my eyes.
I'm a fan of this author and still this short piece caught me blind-sided. Beautiful narration, great character descriptions, and a very unique magical component that went over the average paranormal and right into the religious realm. Love and sex can be outlets for the spiritual, which here take form in the supernatural aspects in the stage of this story.
I would love to read more about Justin's coven (yeah, that's a thing) and about his and Sarah's fut
Cheap and Lazy
Like the novella "Chance of a Lifetime," this is a relatively light read for Joey Hill. You can always count on Joey to give you heroines you can believe in and heroes you can't wait to dream about (along with some pretty hot love scenes to get you started). This story is far from an exception to that. Other than some bondage in the first chapter, there aren't any BDSM elements, although Justin is a minor character in her BDSM series, Nature of Desire. Just lots of romance and heat with a little ...more
Spynonu
Jun 01, 2011 Spynonu rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
This book is like a sultry Southern summer day, the kind of day that makes you feel hot and bothered, needing to strip down to the bare minimum to find some relief.

Joey Hill is gifted at building characters that immerse you in their joys and pains. And of course the sex is always ooooh, ahhh, inspiring. The spiritual elements and the mystery of things not seen make this book one not to be put down until the final page is read.

Wishes are horses - enjoy the ride.
Gail
Jun 24, 2015 Gail rated it it was amazing
Once again Joey W Hill hits the mark with this story. Although it is a bit lighter than some of her other books it is worth the time.
There are so many elements at play here, the Wiccan Religion, the BDSM aspect, and a man who knows just what Sarah needs to begin trusting men again. Oh and then there's the fact that Justin not only owns a woman's sex shop but is also a Wiccan Priest.
Dee
I wasn't sure if it would be a 3.5 or 4 stars but what I really liked outweighed what I didn't therefore I think it does deserve the 4 stars

Full review to follow
Judy
Feb 24, 2017 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an early work by the author, I believe. It contains elements of the supernatural that are presented in a very believable way. Wiccan rituals and love at first sight make this an interesting ride. Her writing style is impeccable and takes this reader's breath away every time.
Oleta Blaylock
Dec 12, 2012 Oleta Blaylock rated it it was amazing
I read this book when it first came out and loved it then. I feel no different about this story now. I love Joey W. Hill's work and it never gets old. She is one of the best writers on the market today. I found several things in this story that didn't click before. The first is a description of a fountain in Justin Herne's garden that is part of the store. The fountain portrays a mermaid and an angel twine together. The description reminds me of the cover of A Mermaid's Kiss. It brought up memor ...more
Noura
Nov 03, 2013 Noura rated it liked it
This book has some supernatural elements to it, although it is about Justin and Sarah - characters that appear in other Nature of Desire series that has no supernatural elements at all in them. So this book struck me as weird. BUT! the story itself is good. It is sweet, a bit weird, but very sexy all the same.

Justin is probably the sexiest straight-male character in the NoD series. He's the owner os a sensuality boutique (a non-seedy name for a sex shop...but if there is such a shop, one wouldn
Bridget
Apr 02, 2012 Bridget rated it really liked it
Shelves: hot, favorite-authors
Really a 4.5, but couldn't quite go to a full 5. Whew, this started HOT. I really love Hill's writing. She is not a lazy author but weaves a wonderful story. Justin is a sensual man who runs a shop selling erotic lingerie, literature, romantic decor and much more, including classes in tantra etc. New police chief Sarah is immediately drawn to the mysterious man. The relationship moves faster than she can deal with, so we have the necessary conflicts mixed up with a murder investigation that draw ...more
Gina (bibliobuff)
Apr 19, 2011 Gina (bibliobuff) rated it liked it
This book wasn't anything like I expected it to be - and I haven't yet decided whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. The paranormal elements came out of the blue and a good portion of it read like a Tantric guidebook. Ladies, if your man needs some tips on how to keep things steamy in the bedroom for you, have him read Chapters 8 and 11. Joey W. Hill played out the slow-moving sensuality well, but the rest of the plot was a bit out there. If I was expecting a paranormal book, I may not hav ...more
Cphe
Oct 16, 2013 Cphe rated it really liked it
This is probably not as an intense read as some of the other offerings by this very talented author. She has been an auto buy for me for quite some time.

This is Justin and Sarah's story, a couple that were featured in the end of Marguerite and Tyler's journey. This was somewhat different in that it did have some paranormal/supernatural flavours, and the BDSM aspect was toned down somewhat. This was more of a sensual, romantic read, with plenty of sizzle,

As with other books by the author, this wa
Ameliah
Jun 18, 2014 Ameliah rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Joey Hill. I understand she usually has bdsm undertones. This book didn't have much for those who read he for that, however this is a very erotic read! Ms Hill is a very descriptive and captavating writer. I felt the book moved a bit slowly for me but it was good. The rituals and other parts of the story were well written and drew me in. I think I will have to check out her other work!
Imjstgr8
Dec 06, 2013 Imjstgr8 rated it really liked it
Wow.... that sums this book up in one word from beginning to end. Hot. Hot. Hot. I really enjoyed the interaction between the characters. Great portrayal of Wicca and informative. I'm glad that the erotic store was described as tasteful and not tacky. Joey W. Hill has a way with words that is absolutely enthralling.
Gee
Aug 28, 2010 Gee rated it liked it
Shelves: pnl-erotic
Hmm. It's hard to rate this one. The romance was hot, which I loved. The rest of the story.....well it was just a little weird with New Age pagan rituals and demonic incubi. Not really up my alley. But Ms. Hill can't write a bad book. Even the weirdness wasn't enough to make me put it down. And the HEA ending is up my alley, so I give it 3 solid stars.
Lindsay
Feb 03, 2015 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Up until the end, I was really enjoying the book. Sarah and Justin had great chemistry, the sex scenes were very hot, and like all of her books, it was well written. I didn't know it was fantasy and paranormal and that pulled me right out of it and skimmed the ending. I've read her vampire series so I know she writes this genre well, just was not expecting it for this book.
C C
Jun 10, 2014 C C rated it liked it
I used to believe we have to heal our own wounds to be able to love others, but I don't think that's true. All we need is accept the love of others, because there are broken places that can't be healed without that. It would be like a pitcher trying to glue its own handle back on.
Julia
Mar 12, 2012 Julia rated it liked it
I though a different paranormal milieu would help me enjoy Hill's fiction a bit more, but I think it's safe to say that this spiritual, dominance/submission character motivation doesn't really work for me.
Kerry  sullivan
Feb 16, 2011 Kerry sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica
Although I enjoyed this book I found the supernatural aspect to the story a little wishy-washy. I didn't find justin as engaging as some of her other leading men even a little bit vanilla compared to some of her other main men.
Traann
Jun 05, 2016 Traann rated it it was amazing
Interesting story that has a moment in the Nature of Desire series. I read it because of that and am glad I did.
ElaineY
Jul 07, 2008 ElaineY rated it it was ok
I did not find this book sensual or erotic. There's the non-vanilla sex, of course, but no depth to the relationship and I did not find Herne an attractive man.
Anansigirl
Aug 10, 2013 Anansigirl rated it liked it
This short read tugged my heart. I would have loved it if it was a bit longer, but I know Herne and Sarah appeared in the Nature of Desire series, so it's all good.
Kiwi Sarah
3 1/2 stars - an enjoyble , slighly fantastical read, Hill writes in this genre with poetic skill and a focus on the relationships as much as the sex. An enjoyable fast read.
Erin
Aug 20, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing
I dare you to read the first chapter of this book and not find yourself totally hooked. Another great one from on of the greatest authors today.
Moira
Jan 26, 2012 Moira rated it it was amazing
Always love anything by Joey W. Hill. Excellent book. Yummy characters!!
  • Dance of the Crystal (Dance, #3)
  • Dreamwalker
  • Hunting JC (Sherman Family #1)
  • A Man Worth Fighting For (Wiccan Haus #2)
  • Awaken, My Love
  • Evening Storm (Irresistible #4)
  • Icy Passage
  • Dragon's Rise (Shadow of the Dragon, #3)
  • Switch
  • Secret Submission (Journey to Submission, #1)
  • Hammer Down (Children of the Undying, #1)
  • Mastered:  10 Tales of Sensual Surrender
  • All She Wants
  • Under Pressure (IAD Agency #1)
  • A Fine Specimen
  • Promises Prevail (Promises, #3)
  • Lost Star (Interstellar Service & Discipline, #0.5)
  • A Change of Season (Seasons of Pleasure, #5)
"BDSM Romance for the Heart & Soul"

Winner of the RT Book Reviews Career Achievement award, Joey W. Hill has published over forty contemporary and paranormal BDSM erotic romances, including six series. Her emotionally-intense love stories offer everything from vampires, mermaids, witches and angels, to boardroom executives, cops and simple housemaids.

Free excerpts from all her works are availa
More about Joey W. Hill...