Start by marking “The Gift of the Deer” as Want to Read:
The Gift of the Deer

The Gift of the Deer

Gift Of The Deer (Fesler-Lampert Minnesota Heritage)
Published April 1st 1998 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Gift of the Deer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gift of the Deer

Hannah
Oct 24, 2009 Hannah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Nature lovers
Once again, Helen Hoover has drawn me into her beautiful natural world. This offering, based upon her life in the wilderness with husband Adrian from the mid 1950's to the early 1970's, concentrates on a deer that the Hoovers saved from starvation one Christmas Eve, and befriends for nearly 4 years. Each year brings new deer to their cabin, although their first (and I imagine favorite), Peter Whitetail, is present throughout all four years.

Hoover's detailed observations of the deer reveal their
Red
Dec 27, 2007 Red rated it it was amazing
I read this book the first time as a preteen, when I was visiting my Grandmother one summer, always looking for something new to read. Her collection of Reader's Digest Condensed Books, was a much perused source. I found this book, and the story has stayed with me ever since. These last few years I've felt the urge to visit with Peter and his deer family again. I was thrilled to find the book back in print. (Order on-line from Amazon.)

While I'm reading this I feel like a true time-traveler withi
Diana
Jan 02, 2015 Diana rated it it was amazing
I always try to read a book about nature for my first book of a new year, so I grabbed "The Gift of the Deer", because Helen Hoover was such a phenomenal writer & I was not disappointed.This is the second book by Ms. Hoover that I have read, and she had such a eye for the natural world, that each chapter is like a little treasure for those of us who adore the great outdoors. Highly recommended.
Jennifer Morefield
Jan 17, 2017 Jennifer Morefield rated it really liked it
I really liked this book about a couple who lives in the woods on the boarder of Canada and Minnesota. They live their dreams of pursuing writing and art. In doing so, they enjoyed the wildlife, in particular the deer. Such a sweet story. I love animal stories.
Christina
Jan 03, 2017 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography-memoir
I love Helen Hoover's books about life in northern Minnesota. Her portrayal of all the animals she and her husband encounter brings the creatures to life in a very unique way. This book is focused primarily on the deer that visit the cabin over the course of a few years. Hoover's prose is beautiful, and the illustrations by her husband are absolutely charming.
Sarah Sammis
Oct 12, 2008 Sarah Sammis rated it it was ok
In the 1960s, Helen and Adrian Hoover shared their Minnesota cabin yard with a family of whitetail deer. The first to arrive was a starving young buck whom they named Peter. After Peter there came Mama, Pig, Brother, Starface, Little Buck, Pretty and Fuzzy. These four years are the basis of The Gift of the Deer.

These deer were not pets but the Hoovers did what they could to make a safe environment for them, free from hunters and with enough available food to last the long, harsh winters. While H
Carmine
Dec 04, 2016 Carmine rated it really liked it
Lovely, and especially interesting to me as a Minnesotan, lover of wildlife and wilderness, and budding naturalist. Not sure how it fits into the broader view of wild places during that era (1950s-1960s), as opposed to today...for example, gardening with native flowers isn't really on Helen Hoover's radar, and it's a bit disconcerting to read about somebody so appreciative and attuned to her far northern setting planting a garden of Sweet Williams (exotics native to Southern Europe) and such. Bu ...more
Jena
In vivid detail, Helen Hoover writes of the mystical beauty of undisturbed nature. She paints marvelous word pictures of the changing seasons, and the animals who inhabit the Minnesota wilderness that she has come to call home. This book is centered around her interactions with a small family of wild deer, who visit her log cabin for food, and the gifts she receives because of their presence in her life. Mrs. Hoover chronicles the development of the little deer family, from malnourished Peter's ...more
Roma
Oct 23, 2015 Roma rated it liked it
Simple, quick read. I wouldn't say anything was earth shattering. Nice writing, but not unbelievably moving. Anyone who has spent time in the minnesota wilderness (or anywhere in the woods) and has a patience and love of being nature's voyeur might find this to be too simplistic. At times, the personification of the deer grew old, and for an author who touts respecting nature and animals, she doesn't follow her own advise as to not interfere with the natural course of things. I.e.: keeping wild ...more
Blaine Morrow
Feb 28, 2013 Blaine Morrow rated it liked it
Deer lovers will embrace this book. I lived for a while with a deer family that spent many nights licking the salt from my driveway, and I found the author's involvement with Peter and his growing family understandable. There are some insights into the ways of the forest, though there are also some things the Hoovers do that did not seem to me consistent. Good writing.
Sassacaia
Jun 19, 2007 Sassacaia rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookclub
This was mom's book club pick and I loved it. It was a recounting of a Minnesota woman's experience with deer they befriended while they were living in a cabin in northern Minnesota. They were there for several years so got to meet several new generations of the deer. It was a touching, sweet story. Sad too. I really enjoyed it.
Megan
Feb 24, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing
A most unexpected, beautifully written, deeply refreshing, and highly informative personal and natural biography of the author and her husband and several generations of a whitetail family in northern Minnesota.
Wendy
Jul 26, 2011 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Oh what a wonderful book! The true story of a couple who lived in northern Minnesota and of their encounters and ensuing relationship with a family of deer. This was just a cozy-up-with-a-cup-of--hot-tea-and-a-blanket book, for sure!!!
Geoff
Dec 31, 2010 Geoff rated it really liked it
This is a kids book from the 1960's, and I read it then. It probably would seem quaint to kids these days, but at the time it was a treasure.
Doris Raines
Apr 13, 2016 Doris Raines rated it liked it
This. Book. Has. Lost. Words. Still. I. Gave. It. A. 3. Stars. Every body. Loves. Deers. The. Title. Alone. Deserves. Something. Right.
Dixie
Aug 11, 2014 Dixie rated it really liked it
If you ever wanted to live in a little secluded village....real country.....where no one else was around for miles.....this is a very good story. An easy read and vicariously adorable.
Lee Yahnker
Feb 10, 2015 Lee Yahnker rated it liked it
It's odd to review a book that seems so full of life only to discover the author died 30 years ago. Cute but simplistic story of a couple living off the land and their encounters with deer.
Kathleen Sherf
Mar 14, 2013 Kathleen Sherf rated it really liked it
I read this book in 7th grade and loved it then--loved it now. It appeals to my deep sense of connection with nature AND also reminds me of the deer I see everynight on my drive to the gym :-)
Patricia
Dec 01, 2011 Patricia rated it really liked it
I can so connect with stories set in northern MN and WI woods. Helen Hoover is an outdoor writer that draws me back for rereads which is something I don't usually do.
Molly Ewing
Mar 23, 2014 Molly Ewing rated it liked it
Interesting combination of memoir, sentiment and ecological sensitivity. Hoover tends toward anthropomorphism, but always with keen observation to back up her analysis of deer behavior.
Margaret Boehm
Feb 08, 2010 Margaret Boehm rated it liked it
Nice book but was confused when the author condemned the tourists for feeding the bear, yet she and her husband feed the deers.
Logan Harris
Logan Harris rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Fredrick
Fredrick rated it liked it
May 14, 2011
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2014
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2010
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Lori Gross
Lori Gross rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Jan Jordan Lokensgard
Jan Jordan Lokensgard rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Irthumper
Irthumper rated it really liked it
May 31, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Listening Point
  • The Private World of Tasha Tudor
  • The Stillmeadow Road (Stillmeadow Series, #7)
  • Holdfast: At Home in the Natural World
  • Always Faithful: A Memoir of the Marine Dogs of WWII
  • Village in a Valley
  • Meditations of John Muir
  • Woodswoman I: Living Alone in the Adirondack Wilderness
  • Castles in the Air: The Restoration Adventures of Two Young Optimists and a Crumbling Old Mansion
  • The Heart of a Dog