Start by marking “How to Look Hot in a Minivan: A Real Woman's Guide to Losing Weight, Looking Great, and Dressing Chic in the Age of the Celebrity Mom” as Want to Read:

2.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  87 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The best-kept secrets of Hollywood moms–revealed by the former editor of US Weekly and current Editorial Director of The Hollywood Reporter

Current editorial director of The Hollywood Reporter, Janice Min was editor in chief of Us Weekly for six years where she documented one of the biggest cultural shifts of the last decade: the making and celebration of the Hollywood Mom
Published September 18th 2012 by St. Martin's Press (first published April 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How to Look Hot in a Minivan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Look Hot in a Minivan

Barbara
Oct 05, 2012 Barbara rated it it was ok
I originally marked this book as humor. Upon reading it, I changed to self-help, but on second thought, I should make this as humor. Janice Min describes her post pregnancy body. She describes how she delivered her second baby losing only 7 pounds. That part was amusing--she makes fun of celebrities delivering and looking like "hot mamas" 3 weeks after--but as you continue reading it--that is exactly what she is preaching. What world does she live in--I know--the world-- personal chefs, trainers ...more
Tawnya
Oct 10, 2012 Tawnya added it
So, I saw this book glaring at me on my library's shelf and just HAD to pick it up! Horrible-but I'm sure y'all already knew that. The author writes about feeling comfortable in your own skin, yet goes ahead and lists the costs of all plastic surgeries and recovery times. One minute she says she'd never get it, but then admits to botox or some other stuff. I like that she wrote what some celebs do to lose the baby weight so quickly (3 hours of exercise on 1200 calories? No thanks.), but it's so ...more
Juliann Whicker
Sep 15, 2015 Juliann Whicker rated it liked it
Shelves: fashion
Some good, some bad, some completely irrelevant for my real life mom status. It started out great. The author has a great voice. She talked about clothing to wear for mindless no frump, and that was fine, also, the five minute makeup was fine, but then it was hair, five hairstyles. That's what you get to pick, five hairstyles, and all of them were very styled, and then they had the makeovers where the makeup was clearly the kind that took much more than five minutes while the hair... not realist ...more
Anna
Feb 03, 2015 Anna rated it did not like it
I grabbed this on a whim as I was about to check out at the library pre-blizzard. I didn't want to be without reading material and I thought based on the title this would be more down to earth advice. This is basically any monthly issue of a women's magazine in hard cover. I didn't feel like any of the advice really was helpful to moms in particular or to "real" women. Instead of dialing back the expectations we as moms develop based on celebrity culture, which is what I thought the title implie ...more
Jamie Holcomb
Dec 30, 2015 Jamie Holcomb rated it really liked it
Min’s guide covers fashion, hair, makeup, fitness, and diet for moms who need a kick in the pants to start taking care of themselves again. The suggestions are reasonably practical for moms, although they are geared more for tall, skinny women. (The suggestion to wear skinny jeans with ballet flats, for instance, does not benefit curvier types—but everyone can look good in a belted shirtdress, another of her suggestions.) The pages are filled with celebrity mom examples and explanations of how r ...more
Jul 30, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
I picked this one up because I have a minivan, and heck yeah, I want to look hot while driving it. I'm thinking that I'm not this book's intended audience though. I don't wear make up unless it's a special event, like a wedding or Christmas, so I didn't need the chapter devoted to how to better apply make up. I think I'm also one of the people the author hates re: weightloss. 135 pounds would be overweight for me. And I'm one of the lucky ones who does lose weight while breastfeeding. I can tell ...more
Hazel
Nov 25, 2012 Hazel rated it did not like it
To start, in compliance with FTC guidelines, I must disclose that I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I think I just killed the last few braincells I still have reading this book. It reflected everything I hate about the world of celebrity and the pressure that is put out there to be superwoman instead of just chilling and enjoying your life and baby.

The author is very contradictory. She writes that she does not buy into the world of celebrity and that we should not aspi
Staci
Nov 18, 2012 Staci rated it it was ok
Quite disappointing read. Very contridictory and not the kind of self worth we should be trying to instill in beautiful strong intelligent new mothers. That being said, I did find certain parts pretty funny. If Janice Min's intentions were for this book to be taken serious she really missed the mark. 2 stars simply for the humor and beautiful quality of the book.

My rating system is as follows:

5 stars - Excellent, Worth Every Penny, Made It Into My Personal Library!
4 stars - Great book, but not a
Brandy Spielman
Jan 24, 2016 Brandy Spielman rated it it was ok
I picked this up because the cover intrigued me. Who doesn't want to be a hot mom? Let me save everyone the time of reading this. New moms should eat healthy, work out, wear nice clothes, do their hair and makeup, and if all else fails, get plastic surgery to fix it. I'm not sure who the target audience for the book is. Anyone who remotely cares about their appearance knows all these tips, and those who don't wouldn't have picked up the book in the first place.
Lindsey
Apr 08, 2015 Lindsey rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
Um, no. This was pretty stupid. Maybe because I'm so many years removed from being pregnant? I dunno. But this book was lame and dumb and I'm glad I only spent a dollar on it. Don't waste your time.
Julie
I was so excited about this book. But it's so much information that I've already read in so many other places. Trinny and Susannah have more information and are funnier - also, they're both moms.
Tanya
Oct 25, 2012 Tanya rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books
This book reads like a magazine, from content down to the glossy pages. I found the chapter on makeup and beauty supplies the most interesting, but probably only because of my age and the concerns I personally have about aging gracefully. Much of the book is geared to the mom of a newborn. It is worth the hour or so it takes to read this book and if you like celebrity magazines, this has photos to entertain you, for now. I think it has a short shelf life and will appear dated pretty rapidly. It ...more
Shayla Drumm
Jan 03, 2013 Shayla Drumm rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Even though not a lot of the material in the book is new to me, I truly enjoyed reading it. Janice Min has a wonderful writing style and I hope she continues writing books.
How to Look Hot in a Minivan addresses the insecurities that moms feel after having children of their own. It covers everything from hair and makeup to plastic surgery options while encouraging women to love themselves for who they are. The theme of the book is to find balance while looking and feeling the best you can.
I won
Rachael
Oct 16, 2014 Rachael is currently reading it
So this is officially the cutest book that I have ever gotten in the mail! Also, as a side note: if you are not currently pregnant, and really want to give your fiancee a heart attack, or just mess with him because you are feeling especially feisty this Thursday, just leave this book out somewhere that he will notice it before dinner, but don't say anything about it...just let it stew...Then after dinner pick it up at start reading it, and occasionally ask how he likes certain baby names. It mak ...more
Minna
Oct 22, 2012 Minna rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, non-fiction
Super easy read.
I am not too fazed by the eat better/work out more business, since I feel like I already have a decent handle on it and would not be too bothered by it in the future.
It's the stuff I CAN'T control that bothers me, and in that sense, this book was a mix of terrifying and inspiring. It definitely showcases as many as possible examples of those genetically blessed women who made it through with no or minimal "damage." Inspiring.... but petrifying.
Nothing new here, but still, enter
Traci
Oct 30, 2012 Traci rated it really liked it
Lots of tips for how to make yourself look the best without that much money or effort. Also has an overall feeling of not being too hard on yourself, everyone is different and recovers at different paces and loses weight at different paces. I also liked how the hair section covered all kinds of hair not just one type. I also now know some things about pregnancy that I probably should have just waited to find out for myself but the better informed the better off I'll be...?
Mar 22, 2013 Laura rated it it was ok
How embarrassing to have read this but the pink cover called to me. Switches between "what celebrities do is totally unrealistic" And "here let mw tell you how the celebrities do it". A few good makeup and style tips. Some incredibly unoriginal diet tips: "drink water with your meals". No really?
Jennifer Goudreau
Nov 29, 2012 Jennifer Goudreau rated it liked it
Shelves:

I sure wish I won this book when I was first pregnant. But I really enjoyed all the tips. I had to laugh when I seen the title how to look hot in a mini van cause I drove one and I loved my van. Thank you for picking me to win and read this book.
Yvonne
Dec 28, 2013 Yvonne rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-ve-won
I won this thorough a Goodreads Giveaway

This book did not appeal to me as a person with a limited budget. I could not relate to it.
Alexandria Steele
Mar 08, 2013 Alexandria Steele rated it liked it
This was just kind of fun. It had some good tips, but mostly it was just motivating. It reminded me of what a big difference some healthy changes can make. And that feeling good about yourself isn't being selfish.
Sharlena
Nov 17, 2012 Sharlena rated it liked it
Some good makeup and fashion tips. I appreciate that the author stresses diet and exercise to lose the baby weight but she undermines the message a bit by adding a section about common plastic surgeries.
Oct 28, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it

Fun, quick book to read. Was a nice break from all of my serious non-fiction. I loved that the tips were actually doable and not suggestions to buy hundreds of dollars of clothes and make up.
Aspasia
Oct 21, 2012 Aspasia rated it liked it
A fun read but written for women who have lived under a rock and don't know that shedding baby weight isn't always easy and that nutritious eating and exercise is crucial to living healthy.
Merrillville Branch Library
Aug 03, 2013 Merrillville Branch Library rated it really liked it
I don't have a minivan but the title and plot sounded fun. I wasn't looking for a beauty bible or any type of guide, just a fun read. And that's what it was, fun.
René
Jan 02, 2013 René rated it it was ok
The beginning was promising - I enjoyed the celeb anecdotes. Then it revealed itself to just be a big commercial. Don't bother.
Katie Telligman
Oct 15, 2012 Katie Telligman rated it really liked it
So it turns out, it's all downhill. Great. I did like this book. Celebrities and tons of pictures...sounds awesome to me.
Sep 28, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Comparing yourself to celebrities is not a good way to view your ever expanding pregnant self.
Kari
Feb 14, 2013 Kari rated it liked it
Not super relatable but interesting. A few good tips but nothing earth shattering or different.
Janet
Oct 08, 2012 Janet marked it as to-read
I bet she wrote this book especially for me. This is the story of my life. Hope I win this book!
Amber
Jan 27, 2013 Amber rated it it was ok
Had a few good ideas, but in reality who has the time.
  • Unsinkable Mister Brown (Cruise Confidential)
  • You Are Loved . . . an email memoir
  • Cooking with Trader Joe's Cookbook Easy Lunch Boxes
  • Our First Dance
  • Halfwide
  • Why We Are Here: Mobile and the Spirit of a Southern City
  • Valentined (Essie Cobb Senior Sleuth, #3)
  • Lanced: the shaming of Lance Armstrong
  • Cemetery John: The Undiscovered Mastermind Behind the Lindbergh Kidnapping
  • The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting
  • Altered - Revelations of the Evolved (The Evolved Trilogy, #1)
  • An Angel's View: Encountering God through the Stories of the Heavenly Hosts