Start by marking “Sterling (Mageri, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sterling (Mageri, #1)

Sterling (Mageri #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,101 Ratings  ·  531 Reviews
USA TODAY BESTSELLER
Zoë Merrick lived an ordinary life until the night she was brutally attacked. She narrowly escapes death, rescued by Adam Razor, an ex-soldier who offers her friendship and a place to stay. But something else is different. Zoë is unable to control an unexplainable energy coursing through her body.

Justus De Gradi is a man who can teach her that control.
Published September 5th 2011 by Dannika Dark

To ask other readers questions about Sterling, please sign up.

Abigail Myers No, not in the 1st one.
Stick with the series it gets better and better as the books progress.
Heather If you are going to read the series I would not skip this one as there is a lot if world building and character development that you will miss. If you…moreIf you are going to read the series I would not skip this one as there is a lot if world building and character development that you will miss. If you like Ilona Andrews (kate daniels series) you will probably like this series. Is it as awesome as the Kate Daniels series- no but it is worth the read.(less)

sooooooomiii
May 30, 2012 sooooooomiii rated it did not like it
I am going to start by admitting that I didn't actually finish it, I gave up 56% in.

For me, if the prospect of sleeping instead of staying up all night to read a novel is more tempting...then the story has failed.

That's what happened with Sterling.

I found the premise and concept interesting, all the mage, mageri and Breed, but it wasn't enough. What deterred me from continuing was the protagonist. I honestly could not stand Zoe, or Learner.

Seriously, isn't it absurd that when you're attacked
Sterling is the first installment in Dannika Dark's adult, urban fantasy series titled Mageri. I have found a lot of joy in Ms. Dark's Seven series and was interested in experiencing her earlier work. I have to admit I'm pretty conflicted about Sterling. It is such a promising start to a series I do intend to continue but there were many notable distractions caused by the writing.

I always have a hard time critiquing an author's storytelling because it's not like I could do any better, but for t
Marcia
Jun 01, 2012 Marcia rated it did not like it
SPOILER ALERT:

Oh, this silly book! The concept was great, the execution awful! Be forewarned. Stupidity abounds! To wit, I was dumbfounded that anyone could be so stupid as our heroine, Zoe. I ask you, who would come back to life after being MURDERED by a stranger in a deserted place, then go walking dark streets, yet again, with another total stranger? Certainly no one I'm interested in reading about.

I could forgive Zoe staying at the house of the man who rescued her, Adam, (though I can't say
Dan
Sep 05, 2015 Dan rated it did not like it
Shelves: signal, indie
Zoe is a woman stuck in a strange, male-dominated culture.
She's surrounded by men who insist that (1) they love her and are absolutely devoted to protecting her, but (2) because of a series of stupid rules and traditions, they're going to do horrible things to her now.

This was honestly pretty terrible. I very rapidly got sick of Zoe's string of pandering-yet-domineering boyfriends. I was uncomfortable with the way she kept abandoning one of them when the next one showed up: basically she would s
Amy Dark Night Reads
Apr 18, 2012 Amy Dark Night Reads rated it it was amazing
www.the-book-diaries.blogspot.com

I have to say that this is one of my top favorite series. Dannika has done a brilliant job creating the world of the Mageri. Her characters are so captivating that you get emotionally connected with them. This was a nonstop read. Zoe was attacked on her way home from a night out with her friend. Left for dead, luck was on her side when Adam found her. With mysterious Adam by her side, Zoe struggles to recover from her attack and find out who attacked her. Not to
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Zoe was an ordinary girl, leading an ordinary and somewhat boring life. Until one fateful night when she is on her way home from a night out. She is brutally attacked. She thought she died during the attack, remembered her heart stopped beating, until she woke up.

That night everything changed. She was running down the highway, covered in blood when Adam found her and took her in. He became her friend and protector. After Adam took her home, she fell into unconsciousness for three days and when
Bj
*I gave this audiobook 4 Stars for the story and 4.5 stars for the narration at The Book Nympho*

Being a huge fan of The Seven Series by the fabulous author/narrator duo of Dannika Dark and Nicole Poole, and with that series now complete, I was thrilled to find that there was an entirely whole other predecessor series, the Mageri Series, waiting for my discovery. So with the Seven Series sadly over, I jumped right into listening to Sterling (the first book in the Mageri Series); and what a ride
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
This and other reviews can also be found on my blog.

This whole book was amazing! Extremely well written, a completely new world that made sense little by little, and intriguing and very likeable characters!

Zoë was a normal 29-year-old until one night she decided to take a short-cut home, where she was attacked and thought she died. She woke up in a body bag - completely panicked, after getting out of the bag and the ambulance, she ran like the devil was after her, until Adam found her.

Adam and Z
Magda
Dec 30, 2011 Magda rated it it was amazing
This book was great from beginning to end.
Not your typical UF with shifters/weres/vampires, this series centers around the world of the Mage.
While it had some errors that should have been caught with editing, it didn't detract from the story.
Although the story was well paced, some little things bugged me:
1- When Remy was telling Zoe her "future" she just got up & walked to the bar. WHY?? Wouldn't you want to know more about this new life you were just thrown into?
2- When Zoe felt a presen
Teresa
Sep 22, 2011 Teresa rated it it was amazing
One word - WOW, there are no words that I can think of that do this 1st book from Dannika justice, I was hooked from the beginning, there is all that you would look for in a book, a bit of romance, a lot of action, interesting characters - very interesting characters, there is something in this book that everyone will like. I cannot wait for the 2nd book in this series to see where this one takes us and what we learn in it.
Claire
Nov 19, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it
Zoë Merrick is an ordinary human woman that is until she comes back from the dead after being brutally murdered after a night out with her best friend Sunny. She wakes up in a body bag in an ambulance and makes a run for it back to her apartment, however along the way she runs into a stranger called Adam and collapses. Adam takes Zoë back to his house and whilst she sleeps for three days her body transforms into someone and something else. However it’s not until Justus walks into life some month ...more
Naomi
Feb 24, 2015 Naomi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
What a terrific book - absolutely loved Sterling now onto book 2 ...more
Dannika Dark
Jan 01, 2015 Dannika Dark rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
GIVEAWAY (this giveaway ends March 1, 2015)
CLICK HERE TO ENTER
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
The premise of the book made me think I would enjoy it. I was wrong.

The main character (I can’t even bring myself to calling her a heroine) is Zoe and she is one of the silliest characters ever. She is surrounded by a bunch of domineering males and they all think it’s perfectly fine to treat her as if she were (choose all that apply):
- a child (oh wait, she acts like one!)
- a brainless twit (oh wait, she is!)
- an object (oh wait, that one is pretty obvious: Zoe is a woman and therefore an obje
Nicole
Feb 01, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good pnr and doesn’t mind caveman antics or love triangles
4 stars

Holy hot alpha men, I LOVED this. Sterling is a short, slow-build but hard-hitting paranormal romance with not 1, not 2, but a damn parade of hot, possessive alpha men. Topped off with super special sundae sauce (a suspenseful plot) and some really serious feels, this was McDelicious. Apologies, I had an Oreo McFlurry today for the first time in years and forgot how FREAKING good they taste.

The plot: Zoe Merrick is unremarkable, unnoticed and unknown. Until one night she is attacked, ki
Jamie
Oct 25, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: UF fans
3 stars to the first half of the book, 4 to the last half.

I enjoyed the premise of this book, which is that Mage, who can control energy in different ways, can be made. A Mage is not a witch. A Mage can live forever and stay young forever. A Mage can only be made by a Mage that has the special power of making. Once a Mage is made and presented to the council that oversees all Mage, they are given a Mage name.

The plot of this book includes a twenty-something girl names Zoe, who is forced into b
Brandee Price
Nov 18, 2013 Brandee Price rated it it was amazing
Gah! Why did I wait so long to read this?!? I'm ever so grateful my friend, Lexxie, from (un)Conventional Bookviews, kept raving about this series. I've been meaning to read it for ages because I knew if Lexxie loved it, I would love it. And guess what? I thoroughly enjoyed my introduction to the world of the Mageri!

Ms. Dark did some fine worldbuilding in Sterling. The world of the Mageri is rather complex, the characters even more so. It's the mark of great craftsmanship, in my opinion, when th
Anna Serene
DNF'd @ 39% 5/6/16

Not enjoying it. The first 25% was good, but once Justus (again, stupid name) entered the picture I was over it.
James Rulison
Aug 22, 2013 James Rulison rated it it was ok
Well I know someone who has been waiting for my review on this book. Normally I just put a book down when I can't stand it but I had nothing else to read so I mucked my way through it. I am not even sure where to start. So there is a lot of characters who don't act all human even our main character. There is several traumatic events that happen and she is very flat about them. There was no emotional contact with the characters so they never really warmed up to you. This was the biggest part of w ...more
Delphina
Sep 03, 2012 Delphina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is not your run of the mill, every day paranormal series. It is so amazingly unique. I seriously can not stop talking about it to my reading buddies. I am pretty sure they are all going to read it just to shut me up. There is so much I love about it.
Zoe is a very to relate to. She finds herself thrown head first into the world of the paranormal. She feels like someone you might know and watching her grow as she comes to terms with what has happened to her and the new life she now leads. Ad
Michele
Mar 06, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it
I'm always amazed when I read other reviewers slam a book I find intriguing. They seems to expect the characters to be fully developed from page one. I for one like character development. We grow, learn, expand our knowledge and horizons - why shouldn't the subjects of the books we read? I LOVE the concept of this book. Humans, who are chosen and changed to become Mage, who then live in immortality like humans and NOT vampires. Reminds me of one of my favorite TV series -Highlander. I have had m ...more
Sarah T
Oct 27, 2015 Sarah T rated it it was amazing
Please do yourself a favor and read this series! I just finished book 5 last night and it has become one of my favorite series of all time! The characters are amazing and I fell in love with each of them! The story pulls you in and keeps you engaged from start to finish! Each book gets better as the story progresses and I absolutely loved watching the characters develop. I'd like to thank Dannika (and also curse at her for making these amazing characters that I've grown wayyyy too attached to) f ...more
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Oct 12, 2013 Tee loves Kyle Jacobson marked it as to-read
Dannika thanks for the friendship and I am dying to read your book. I just read the blurb and I love the idea. Can't wait to read it soon :)

Thanks,
~Tee
♡ Sugar Mouse ♡
Feb 23, 2015 ♡ Sugar Mouse ♡ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural, magic
I really liked this book, the writing was good, the characters well built and the descriptions were on-point. There was never a moment where you're thinking 'okay I can imagine the way sunlight is pouring in blah blah, get on with it' nor were there moments I thought more was needed.
Zoe is our protagonist, and I liked her, freckles, brown eyes, copper hair and all. It's a darn shame she changed quite so drastically.
It all starts when Sunny, Zoe's best friend drops her off at the train station af
Sharon
Jul 15, 2012 Sharon rated it it was ok
I'm a little surprised by some of the reviews on this one. This book read a little like English was the author's 2nd language, or like it had been tranlated from another language. Many of the phrases and phrasings had me scratching my head in bemusement. I found the dialogue hard to follow at times, as the author didn't make it clear who was speaking. I honestly found it a hard slog to make it to the end of the book. I'm assuming that the reason for having three carbon-copy males (muscular, attt ...more
Sep 12, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: dannika-dark
Michelle Leah Olson
Sterling, Book #1 of the Mageri series
Author: Dannika Dark

Zoë Merrick leads a less than ordinary life. Late one evening, she crosses paths with a man who brutally attacks her. In one shattering instant--a stranger with a knife alters the course of her future.

Unconscious and covered in blood, Zoë is found by a man named Adam. She undergoes a physical transformation, and strange new abilities begin to surface. Without hesitation, he takes her under his wing and an unexpected friendship forms betw
AngelLeah
Jan 18, 2012 AngelLeah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Don't you hate when you love characters so much that you don't want the book to end?! That was how I felt this morning. I made my breakfast waffles, poured my juice, *sighed* and thought "I can't wait to go read some more." Then it dawned on me that I had already finished the book. I loved these characters so much though, that I was in denial about being done.

I've been on a reading rampage lately and I felt very burnt out before I started reading "Sterling." I really wasn't sure if I could read
Pam
May 11, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, series
Actually, 4.5 stars - I LOVED this book, it was very imaginative, had great characters and a complicated world that leaves so many options open for development. I cannot wait to see where this series goes next, as Silver's talents are discovered and honed, not to mention the three hot men, a variety of intriguing good/bad guys and one real scary villain.

First books in series are often problematic due to necessary exposition and there were some editing problems that were difficult to overlook, bu
Tina
Jul 18, 2014 Tina rated it really liked it
I am loving this series. I found it on my TBR list and said "Why Not". So glad I did. I love the concept and Dannika's writing style.
On to the next, Twist.
Dannika Dark 1 7 Jan 19, 2016 06:01AM
Goodreads Librari...: New Edition 3 37 Jan 05, 2013 08:37AM
  • Deceived (Gwen Sparks, #2)
  • Blood Royal (Blood Destiny. #5)
  • Bloodmagic (Blood Destiny, #2)
  • Love is Fear (Valerie Dearborn, #2)
  • Deep Dark Secret (Secret McQueen, #3)
  • Unquiet Slumber (Blue Fire, #1)
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga #1)
  • Shades of Gray (Jude Magdalyn, #1)
  • Time Mends (Timber Wolves Trilogy, #2)
  • River Cast (The Tale of Lunarmorte, #2)
  • Influential Magic (Crescent City Fae, #1)
  • Framed (Caged, #3)
  • Taunting Destiny (The Fae Chronicles, #2)
USA Today Bestselling Author

CLICK HERE TO GET NOTIFIED ON NEW RELEASES

OVER ONE MILLION BOOKS SOLD. Dannika Dark is a USA TODAY Bestselling author and Audie Awards Finalist of urban fantasy and paranormal romance novels.

THE MAGERI SERIES is an exciting urban fantasy romance about a young woman's claim to immortality. Passionate, humorous, dark, and full of unpredictable twists, t
More about Dannika Dark...

Mageri (7 books)
  • Twist (Mageri, #2)
  • Impulse (Mageri, #3)
  • Gravity (Mageri, #4)
  • Shine (Mageri, #5)
  • The Gift: A Christmas Novella (Mageri #6)
  • Risk (A Mageri World Novel)

“There are few things in life that are worth waking up to: sex, the dark spices of freshly brewed coffee and bacon.” 82 likes
“I never arrive unannounced without something big and juicy in hand.
- Simon Hunt”