Sterling (Mageri, #1)

Sterling (Mageri #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  4,328 ratings  ·  377 reviews
Zoë Merrick lived an ordinary life until the night she was brutally attacked. She narrowly escapes death, rescued by Adam Razor, an ex-soldier who offers her friendship and a place to stay. But something else is different. Zoë is unable to control an unexplainable energy coursing through her body.

Justus De Gradi is a man who can teach her that control. She meets him by cha...more
Published September 5th 2011 by Dannika Dark

To ask other readers questions about Sterling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sterling

My Blood Approves by Amanda HockingSwitched by Amanda HockingAngelfall by Susan EeFalling From Grace by S.L. NaeoleDark Spirits by Rebekkah Ford
Indie Books - Paranormal Fiction
21st out of 1,821 books — 2,353 voters
Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningDark Lover by J.R. WardMoon Called by Patricia BriggsMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
Best ADULT Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance
190th out of 2,117 books — 4,190 voters

More lists with this book...

K. May
I am going to start by admitting that I didn't actually finish it, I gave up 56% in.

For me, if the prospect of sleeping instead of staying up all night to read a novel is more tempting...then the story has failed.

That's what happened with Sterling.

I found the premise and concept interesting, all the mage, mageri and Breed, but it wasn't enough. What deterred me from continuing was the protagonist. I honestly could not stand Zoe, or Learner.

Seriously, isn't it absurd that when you're attacked...more
Amy Dark Night Reads
www.the-book-diaries.blogspot.com

I have to say that this is one of my top favorite series. Dannika has done a brilliant job creating the world of the Mageri. Her characters are so captivating that you get emotionally connected with them. This was a nonstop read. Zoe was attacked on her way home from a night out with her friend. Left for dead, luck was on her side when Adam found her. With mysterious Adam by her side, Zoe struggles to recover from her attack and find out who attacked her. Not to...more
Dan
Zoe is a woman stuck in a strange, male-dominated culture.
She's surrounded by men who insist that (1) they love her and are absolutely devoted to protecting her, but (2) because of a series of stupid rules and traditions, they're going to do horrible things to her now.

Seen as an allegory for modern society this is a bit alarming. Are we, as dudes, really that bad? We're not really that bad, are we?

As a book frankly this was terrible. I very rapidly got sick of Zoe's string of pandering-yet-domin...more
Lexxie
This and other reviews can also be found on my blog.

This whole book was amazing! Extremely well written, a completely new world that made sense little by little, and intriguing and very likeable characters!

Zoë was a normal 29-year-old until one night she decided to take a short-cut home, where she was attacked and thought she died. She woke up in a body bag - completely panicked, after getting out of the bag and the ambulance, she ran like the devil was after her, until Adam found her.

Adam and Z...more
Marcia
SPOILER ALERT:

Oh, this silly book! The concept was great, the execution awful! Be forewarned. Stupidity abounds! To wit, I was dumbfounded that anyone could be so stupid as our heroine, Zoe. I ask you, who would come back to life after being MURDERED by a stranger in a deserted place, then go walking dark streets, yet again, with another total stranger? Certainly no one I'm interested in reading about.

I could forgive Zoe staying at the house of the man who rescued her, Adam, (though I can't say...more
Magda
This book was great from beginning to end.
Not your typical UF with shifters/weres/vampires, this series centers around the world of the Mage.
While it had some errors that should have been caught with editing, it didn't detract from the story.
Although the story was well paced, some little things bugged me:
1- When Remy was telling Zoe her "future" she just got up & walked to the bar. WHY?? Wouldn't you want to know more about this new life you were just thrown into?
2- When Zoe felt a presen...more
Carol [Goodreads addict]
Zoe was an ordinary girl, leading an ordinary and somewhat boring life. Until one fateful night when she is on her way home from a night out. She is brutally attacked. She thought she died during the attack, remembered her heart stopped beating, until she woke up.

That night everything changed. She was running down the highway, covered in blood when Adam found her and took her in. He became her friend and protector. After Adam took her home, she fell into unconsciousness for three days and when...more
Teresa
One word - WOW, there are no words that I can think of that do this 1st book from Dannika justice, I was hooked from the beginning, there is all that you would look for in a book, a bit of romance, a lot of action, interesting characters - very interesting characters, there is something in this book that everyone will like. I cannot wait for the 2nd book in this series to see where this one takes us and what we learn in it.
Claire
Zoë Merrick is an ordinary human woman that is until she comes back from the dead after being brutally murdered after a night out with her best friend Sunny. She wakes up in a body bag in an ambulance and makes a run for it back to her apartment, however along the way she runs into a stranger called Adam and collapses. Adam takes Zoë back to his house and whilst she sleeps for three days her body transforms into someone and something else. However it’s not until Justus walks into life some month...more
Jamie
Oct 25, 2011 Jamie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: UF fans
3 stars to the first half of the book, 4 to the last half.

I enjoyed the premise of this book, which is that Mage, who can control energy in different ways, can be made. A Mage is not a witch. A Mage can live forever and stay young forever. A Mage can only be made by a Mage that has the special power of making. Once a Mage is made and presented to the council that oversees all Mage, they are given a Mage name.

The plot of this book includes a twenty-something girl names Zoe, who is forced into b...more
Nicole
Feb 01, 2014 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good pnr and doesn’t mind caveman antics or love triangles
4 stars

Holy hot alpha men, I LOVED this. Sterling is a short, slow-build but hard-hitting paranormal romance with not 1, not 2, but a damn parade of hot, possessive alpha men. Topped off with super special sundae sauce (a suspenseful plot) and some really serious feels, this was McDelicious. Apologies, I had an Oreo McFlurry today for the first time in years and forgot how FREAKING good they taste.

The plot: Zoe Merrick is unremarkable, unnoticed and unknown. Until one night she is attacked, kil...more
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Oct 12, 2013 Tee loves Kyle Jacobson marked it as to-read
Dannika thanks for the friendship and I am dying to read your book. I just read the blurb and I love the idea. Can't wait to read it soon :)

Thanks,
~Tee
Jenese (Readers Confession)
This book has been on my TBR since it's inception but for whatever it just kept getting bumped. FINALLY I read it and as suspected I really should have started this one sooner.

One of the things that I loved about this book is how funny it was. I'm always surprised to have an Urban Fantasy or PNR book to make me laugh. I seriously laughed out loud several times. Zoe (I can't get those dots on top of the "e", lol) was tough, strong, sarcastic and hilarious heroine.

Zoe didn't expect what was going...more
AngelLeah
Don't you hate when you love characters so much that you don't want the book to end?! That was how I felt this morning. I made my breakfast waffles, poured my juice, *sighed* and thought "I can't wait to go read some more." Then it dawned on me that I had already finished the book. I loved these characters so much though, that I was in denial about being done.

I've been on a reading rampage lately and I felt very burnt out before I started reading "Sterling." I really wasn't sure if I could read...more
James Rulison
Well I know someone who has been waiting for my review on this book. Normally I just put a book down when I can't stand it but I had nothing else to read so I mucked my way through it. I am not even sure where to start. So there is a lot of characters who don't act all human even our main character. There is several traumatic events that happen and she is very flat about them. There was no emotional contact with the characters so they never really warmed up to you. This was the biggest part of w...more
Delphina
This is not your run of the mill, every day paranormal series. It is so amazingly unique. I seriously can not stop talking about it to my reading buddies. I am pretty sure they are all going to read it just to shut me up. There is so much I love about it.
Zoe is a very to relate to. She finds herself thrown head first into the world of the paranormal. She feels like someone you might know and watching her grow as she comes to terms with what has happened to her and the new life she now leads. Ad...more
Pam
Actually, 4.5 stars - I LOVED this book, it was very imaginative, had great characters and a complicated world that leaves so many options open for development. I cannot wait to see where this series goes next, as Silver's talents are discovered and honed, not to mention the three hot men, a variety of intriguing good/bad guys and one real scary villain.

First books in series are often problematic due to necessary exposition and there were some editing problems that were difficult to overlook, bu...more
Suzanne
I picked this book up on the recommendations of a couple of friends who'd really enjoyed it, and it sounded like something I'd enjoy.

But it started off quite badly for me. Zoe, the main character was an idiot. After being attacked while walking home from a night out, she goes wandering alone in a strange city!?!? And I felt the conversations were choppy and fake. At 40% I was ready to give up, but I was convinced not to. And I must say, I'm glad I stuck with it, because enter Simon, and I felt...more
Sharon
I'm a little surprised by some of the reviews on this one. This book read a little like English was the author's 2nd language, or like it had been tranlated from another language. Many of the phrases and phrasings had me scratching my head in bemusement. I found the dialogue hard to follow at times, as the author didn't make it clear who was speaking. I honestly found it a hard slog to make it to the end of the book. I'm assuming that the reason for having three carbon-copy males (muscular, attt...more
Christine Butler
Holy $h!t, was this a good book!

I was riveted to this book, compelled to continue reading, and disappointed that it had to ever come to an end. There were a few typos that I only mention because unfortunately they were in important places. The type said should when it was supposed to say shouldn't. That type of thing. EASILY overlooked once you realize the mistake, because this book was otherwise FLAWLESS! Spectacular plot, sexy, dangerous, incredible characters made for extremely good reading....more
Viviana Izzo
This and other reviews available at Viviana, Enchantress of Books

This book kept popping up on Amazon on my “suggestion” list. It also came up a lot in the book club that I’m a part of and they all raved about it. So I bought it and began to read it the day of purchase. OMG!! I devoured the book and immediately purchased the second book "Twist" (review to come soon)!

Where to start? Though this is the first book in a series, you’re not inundated with information to assist in the world building. A...more
Tamara Rose Blodgett
Vital, Engaging, riveting, narrative-voice-I-love. Yeah guys, STERLING has all of that. This is a hill and valley read. Pretty much, I am on the top of the mountain during the entire read with only a small valley about two thirds of the way through that dragged a little for me. I was reading along thinking to myself, four stars, pretty great then BAM, the author wallops me between the eyes with a few chapters that were so beautifully terrible, so brutal in their raw emotional transference it too...more
Brandee Price
Gah! Why did I wait so long to read this?!? I'm ever so grateful my friend, Lexxie, from (un)Conventional Bookviews, kept raving about this series. I've been meaning to read it for ages because I knew if Lexxie loved it, I would love it. And guess what? I thoroughly enjoyed my introduction to the world of the Mageri!

Ms. Dark did some fine worldbuilding in Sterling. The world of the Mageri is rather complex, the characters even more so. It's the mark of great craftsmanship, in my opinion, when th...more
Belkis
This book was quite good. The plot and story-line where unique and interesting. The characters were well developed and likeable. I loved Adam and Simon! And liked Zoe most of the time. I liked that she didn't wallow in self pity, that she made the best of her circumstances. And finally I appreciated Justus and I'm intrigued to see how the author continues to develop his character and his relationship with Zoe in the next books. I desperately need to know what happens next with Adam! Where are yo...more
Denise
I really liked the first in this series and I am looking forward to reading more. Many times when reading a new series the writer makes that 'world' so confusing, that is not the case with Sterling. The Mage world and their laws were uncomplicated and straightforward. I liked Zoe and her sharp wit and sassy mouth. I snorted in laughter a few times, cried a couple of times and at the end of it all was left wanting more (in a good way). Can't wait for book 2!
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Aug 22, 2013 Stacia (the 2010 club) marked it as to-read
Was impressed by some of this author comments supporting reviewers and how she noted that authors shouldn't engage with reviewers who write negative reviews, which is an attitude I'm always a fan of. I'll have to check out her work sometime and see if I like it.
Stephanie
I really love reading books that put a new out look on myths. This is defiantly one of those book. This story is unique and Zoe is unique. I can not wait until the second book comes out. Pick this book up you will not regret it.
Kristi Olson
Was really surprised that I LOVED this book!! Something fresh in Urban Fantasy. Really well written with likable characters.
Marsha
Jan 07, 2012 Marsha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults
How do you rate a book that you both loved and had difficulty with? "Sterling" is that book for me. First, let me explain all of the things that I loved about this book. Dannika Dark writes a uniquely incredible world about the mage filled with rich characters and abilities. I found it interesting that there are very few women in this book. The story line is mainly center around the main character, 'Zoe/Silver' and her dealings with a plethora of men folk. While coming home from an evening out w...more
Goodreads Librari...: New Edition 3 32 Jan 05, 2013 08:37AM
  • Blood Passage (Blood Destiny, #2)
  • Deceived (Gwen Sparks, #2)
  • Influential Magic (Crescent City Fae, #1)
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga #1)
  • Crimson Night (Night, #1)
  • Bloodfire (Blood Destiny, #1)
  • Scarred (Caged, #4)
  • The Secret Trinity: Unearth (Fae-Witch, #1)
  • Fairy Tales and Ever Afters, Volume One (Fairy Tales & Ever Afters, #1-3)
  • Something Secret This Way Comes (Secret McQueen, #1)
  • Love is Fear (Valerie Dearborn, #2)
  • Maggie for Hire (Maggie MacKay, Magical Tracker, #1)
  • Sacrificed in Shadow (Ascension #1)
  • Shades of Gray (Jude Magdalyn, #1)
USA Today Bestselling Author

WANT TO KNOW WHEN THE NEXT BOOK RELEASE IS?

Dannika Dark was born on a military base in the U.S. and traveled the world before she was 9. Now she is rooted in the south but her head is planted firmly in the clouds. When she is not writing, she enjoys a great sci-fi or fantasy movie, heaps of chocolate, reading, and unleashing her dark side. Dannika love...more
More about Dannika Dark...
Twist (Mageri, #2) Impulse (Mageri, #3) Gravity (Mageri, #4) Seven Years (Seven, #1) Shine (Mageri, #5)

“There are few things in life that are worth waking up to: sex, the dark spices of freshly brewed coffee and bacon.” 64 likes
“I never arrive unannounced without something big and juicy in hand.
- Simon Hunt”