Start by marking “The Sigh” as Want to Read:
The Sigh

The Sigh

3.33  ·  Rating Details ·  1,289 Ratings  ·  229 Reviews
From the author of Persepolis, comes this illustrated fairy tale. Rose is one of three daughters of a rich merchant who always brings gifts for his girls from the market. One day Rose asks for the seed of a blue bean, but he fails to find one for her. She lets out a sigh in resignation, and her sigh attracts the Sigh, a mysterious being that brings the seed she desired to ...more
Published December 7th 2011 by Archaia (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Sigh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sigh

Akylina
Marjane Satrapi is mostly known for 'Persepolis', a work I have not had the opportunity to read yet. I thought 'The Sigh' might be a good introduction to her work, given its short length, but I was slightly disappointed. First of all, this is not a graphic novel but rather an illustrated fairytale. The story was pleasant but nothing too impressive. It is certainly a quick and easy read, but nothing sort of life-changing.
Bahar Jaberi
Jan 07, 2012 Bahar Jaberi rated it it was ok
The story is not original. Samad Behrangi also has it in his Azarbaijan stories anthology. In Persian, it has so many different kinds of connotation and symbolism that was lost in translation. Awkward translation went hand in hand with the strange mix of modern day drawings that had little to do with the old world feel of the story. As you can see I am disappointed and expected so much more from Satrapi who is an icon for me. I unfortunately can only afford two stars.
Tahereh
Sep 12, 2013 Tahereh rated it liked it
I am looking it this story with an adult eye. Last time I have read it, it was a SAMAD BEHRANGI collection and I was a hothead teenager with revolutionary ideas. Now it seems a grownup story with different meaning layer upon layer of hidden meaning
I wish Ms Satrapi re-write this story from a modern perspective instead of only directly translate the original BEHRANI version
Lucy
May 07, 2017 Lucy rated it did not like it
★☆☆☆☆

Wow. I really didn't like this. I picked it up because the cover is beautiful and it's a short book. I bought this at a used book store, so I'm unsure if it is generally for younger audiences, but even that is still terrible.

This is the most instalove story I've read in a long time and the main genre I read is YA, so that is hard to do... if this is for kids, I get it. The story has to move along quickly so they don't get bored BUT SERIOUSLY IT'S WAY TOO WEIRD.

Just in case you want to rea
Federica
Mar 20, 2017 Federica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: illustrati, fiabe
"La vita non è che un sospiro."
Marjane Satrapi, l'autrice di Persepolis, che si dà al racconto fiabesco, ma con il suo solito stile personalissimo... e forse in quest'opera più che in altre c'è il riflesso della sua persona: nata in Iran, diventata adulta in Francia. Così questa fiaba ricorda per molti versi quelle europee, ma con tinte e risvolti a La mille e una notte.
Mondo distanti che si incontrano anche in una semplice fiaba, adoro la Satrapi anche per questo.
Laura Zurowski
I'm such a fan of Marjane Satrapi's other books that I didn't think twice about shelling out $10 for The Sigh at my local bookstore. The Persepolis series? A thought-provoking historical and personal narrative. Chicken With Plums? A heartbreaking romantic tale of Byron-esque proportions. Embroideries? A funny, insightful exploration of female relationships. The Sigh? Ummmm.... a prettily illustrated fairy tale of sorts about a woman who feels a need to punish herself after accidentally harming h ...more
Demo
I'm utterly confused as to whether this is a legit book, or just a fairytale picture book. o_o

The reason this matters is because in fairytales with princesses and witches and magic spells, shit never makes sense; but it's okay, because it's a fairytale, and nobody questions it. But in a legitimate novel? People'll be up your ass. Why does she have a nose if she's a mermaid? Beastiality is an unhealthy lifestyle! Voodoo can't actually turn people into frogs! Or, my all-time favourite: Why are all
Jackie B. Forman
The Sigh tells the story of Rose, the youngest daughter of a merchant who promises to bring his daughter's heart's desires upon returning from his travels. When he returns, he was unable to being the seed of a blue bean that Rose requested. In her disappointment, she lets out a deep sign which summons Ah the Sigh from the Kingdom of Sighs. Ah offers Rose's father the gift. He accepts, offering anything in return. We can see where this is going...

As we can expect, Ah returns in a year and request
Marilyn
Sep 18, 2014 Marilyn rated it did not like it
A familiar story which could have been interesting if presented more critically, more subversively, but unfortunately it was just... misogynist. The villains were all women, with stereotypical motives and offenses. The only viable reward for a woman's good behavior was marriage. The main character's arc was driven by men - men's decisions and men's well-being. Very disappointing.
Gemma
Jun 16, 2016 Gemma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Marjane in tutte le salse. Per grandi o piccini. Sempre Marji <3
Safaneh
Aug 30, 2013 Safaneh rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
It is a beautiful story, but I am very disappointed that Satrapi has not mentioned that this book is a rendition of several very old Iranian stories.
Meepelous
Dec 05, 2016 Meepelous rated it liked it
Not having read the original fairy tail - I don't think anyway - I feel a little ham-stringed but I really want to get back in the swing of reviewing things, so here goes!

Disclaimer: Do not pick up this book if you are expecting everything Satrapi does to resemble Persepolis, The Sigh is a completely different story and you may be sourly disappointed.

Unlike some of Satrapi's other works, The Sigh is an all ages illustrated traditional fairy tale. The key word here being traditional. Heads up, so
Sam Quixote
Jan 13, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
Rose is the youngest of three daughters of a merchant who brings back presents for his daughters when he goes on his business trips. Except the one time when Rose asks him for a blue bean, he returns empty handed. And then there is a knock on the door. A strange spirit-like creature called Ah has the blue bean. From there, Rose will go on a journey that will take in a magical kingdom, a kidnapped prince, a dragon, a Bandit Queen, and true love...

Marjane Satrapi's latest book isn't a comic book p
Margaret
The Sigh is a fairy tale about the youngest of three daughters. It starts similarly to Beauty and the Beast, and then moves to another fairy tale type--where the wife accidentally does something to her husband when she shouldn't (exposed him to light when she was warned not too, takes something magical away from him, etc.) and then has to save him/bring him back to life (there are several of these tale types).

I liked the fairy tale well enough, though it was a bit predictable. But I was primaril
Hans
Nov 27, 2013 Hans rated it liked it
(3.5 stars) I always enjoy Marjane Satrapi's voice, constructed from her drawings and her words. In the other books that I have read, the drawings are the force that propels the story. This is the first book that has the feeling of a story that she illustrated. More to the point, the drawings don't seem to have an even pacing throughout the book. Towards the end, the drawings are less frequent and smaller, as if she discovered that the book was going to be a lot longer than intended if she didn' ...more
Faa
Feb 17, 2013 Faa rated it really liked it
If you read Marjane's Persepolis 1 & 2, The Sigh might be a bit disappointment for you. The plot and the drawings are definitely not the same as those 2 previous books. The Sigh is a leisure reading, for those who need a break from heavy reading and any reader can finish the whole book in one day. The Sigh narrated on the power of love, loyalty, patience and kindness. From my point of view as a reader, The Sigh is another escapism from those thick books on my reading shelf, waiting dearly fo ...more
Gassy Traoré
Feb 17, 2013 Gassy Traoré rated it really liked it
Loved it! Although it is far from the splendid full edition of Persepolis. I had the pleasure to hear once more Marjane's voice but in a different context. It is a beautiful metaphoric folktales on life and humanity. However, I believe that in its original language it'd be much better. I'll also read it in French! It is magical and enchanting for children but really does teach important lessons to adults. The cover is a beauty. Everytime, I took it out somewhere to read a page or two, people wou ...more
Jenny
Aug 11, 2015 Jenny rated it liked it
Definitely not my favorite Satrapi, but it's interesting enough to keep me reading.
Only read this if you have an open mind; if you expect it to be like Persepolis, you will be disappointed. Also, only read this if you enjoy fairy tales and won't take offense at the seeming misogyny. The story is a retelling of a well-known tale and is not meant to be taken as a reflection of Satrapi's sociopolitical views by any means.
Nikki
Dec 21, 2011 Nikki rated it liked it
A little weird, but perfectly compatible with current trends in fairy tales. I wonder if anyone will throw a fit about the prince's nighstalking ways, or if Satrapi is too much cooler than Stephenie Meyer to get the criticism.
Katharina
Jan 23, 2015 Katharina rated it it was ok
I'm trying to appreciate this for the fairy tale it is, but.... could we do it with a little less selling-women-as-slaves and fathers and husbands fighting over who owns a daughter?
There were beautiful elements to this story, no doubt, but I expected more/something else from Satrapi.
SA
May 08, 2013 SA rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2013
Dark but very much in line with Satrapi's progression as a writer/artist. One hopes she will only continue along this path.
Simón Vásquez
Jan 02, 2016 Simón Vásquez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La vida es tan poca cosa, no es màs que un suspiro...` ...more
Patricia
Dec 30, 2014 Patricia rated it liked it
A Persian fairy tale illustrated by the wonderful Marjane Satrapi. Mysterious--maybe a bit creepy--and dreamlike with a young woman protagonist who takes action, plus a romantic ending.
Dec 14, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
Pretty short book compared to her other book. But it was cute.
Heidi Burkhart
May 09, 2017 Heidi Burkhart rated it really liked it
This tale was clearly a retelling of a traditional fairy tale. The story felt as if it were originally told in a time from the past, while the illustrations were contemporary. Unusual.
Garrett
Mar 17, 2017 Garrett rated it it was amazing
Not sure that Satrapi is capable of bad art. Maybe if she was hungover or something. This is a quick read, a fairytale, and one with a moral that's actual quite useful, in a bittersweet sort of way. Recommended.
Meran
Not recommended for children.
The punishment to a housekeeper was extreme for our modern days. [Dragging a woman fastened to a horse's tail by her hair, to be dragged to death can NOT be an "all ages" book.]

The premise of the book is exactly the same as The Rose, I think it's called or The Rose and the Beast, except for Persian touches. (I'm sure there were no slavery markets in that story.)

I must admit to puzzlement about this book. It's about a woman willing to sacrifice her freedom to save he
Mary
Mar 09, 2017 Mary added it
Shelves: adult-fiction
wonderful fairy tale
Cassie-la
Jun 14, 2012 Cassie-la rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
REVIEW ALSO ON: http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2011/12...

Once upon a time a widowed man had three daughters who he each granted three wishes. The youngest daughter, Rose, wishes for the seed of a blue bean, the consequences of which take her on a fantastical adventure with Ah the Sigh. This illustrated short story by Persepolis author Marjane Satrapi is an all ages feel good tale about life and love.

This is a classic fairy tale at its best, complete with a whimsical storyline, a moral, and the ru
Camille
Sep 20, 2014 Camille rated it liked it
This review and others posted over at my blog

The Sigh is a fairy tale and, as the back of the book proclaims, “contains content suitable for readers of all ages” so you could even read it to a child as a bedtime story. The general outline is a familiar one – a father has three daughters, each of whom asks for a gift when he returns from his journey. Unable to procure the gift his youngest, Rose, wishes for, she sighs and thus, The Sigh is called. He gives her the gift she wanted and in exchange
  • The Power of Praying: Help for a Woman's Journey Through Life
  • A Dangerous Woman: The Graphic Biography of Emma Goldman
  • Unterzakhn (Pantheon Graphic Novels)
  • A Game for Swallows: To Die, to Leave, to Return
  • The Word, the Name, the Blood
  • 妖狐×僕SS [Inu x Boku Secret Service] 03
  • The Georgetown Ladies' Social Club: Power, Passion, and Politics in the Nation's Capital
  • Arab in America
  • Mom's Cancer
  • Hilda and the Black Hound
  • American Widow
  • The Impostor's Daughter: A True Memoir
Marjane Satrapi (Persian: مرجان ساتراپی) is an Iranian-born French contemporary graphic novellist, illustrator, animated film director, and children's book author. Apart from her native tongue Persian, she speaks English, Swedish, German, French and Italian.

Satrapi grew up in Tehran in a family which was involved with communist and socialist movements in Iran prior to the Iranian Revolution. She a
More about Marjane Satrapi...

“Whether this tale be true or false, none can tell, for none were there to witness it themselves.” 8 likes