Standing Tall: My Journey

Standing Tall: My Journey

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A young man's inspirational coming-of-age story of working hard, laughing a lot, and always standing tall.

Spencer West is many things. Accomplished speaker. University graduate. Natural prankster. Former cheerleader. And a young man without legs — something that has never held him back. Spencer was born without the use of his legs. When he was five, doctors decid...more
Published February 28th 2012 by Me to We (first published August 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Standing Tall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Standing Tall

Gabor
Sep 16, 2012 Gabor added it
Spencer is actually a friend of mine...
So, beyond being super inspired by him, I am also incredibly proud of him!
Quite the life story (so far) and it is even more fun when you get the chance to then hear him do his thing live.
Ubalstecha
Spencer West was born with a congenital defect that caused the muscles in his legs to not work properly. Doctors recommended amputation just above the knew, in hopes he would learn to walk with prosthetics, but when it became clear that Spencer could get around on his hands far better than on artificial legs, the decision was made to amputate just below the hips. These same doctors told Spencer's parents that their son would never sit-up, never be a contributing member of society.

Spencer would g...more
Lauren Swigger
I loved this book it was so inspiring! Spencer west is one of my favourite speakers as well!
Cait
This is a very inspiring story, and I enjoyed reading this book.

The only critique that I have is that it's written for a younger audience - like high school students - which is fine, except that I wasn't expecting it to be that way, and at some points I felt that I was being talked down to a little bit.
Cedric Macaraeg
It was inspiring!
Nancy
It was interesting to read Spencer's perspective about experiences in our hometown. I recognized many people and places. How amazing that Spencer and his friends and family turned what some would see as a disability into a great strength!
Shara Birnbaum
Spencer West is absolutely incredible. I've heard him speak 3 times and would jump at the chance to hear him again. The book wasn't a great testament to the inspiration that he truly is, but it was still worth reading!
Tudi Brown
Inspirational story to share with friends and family. My local library now has a copy - request that your library purchase it!
Susan L

This is an inspiring story about acceptance and learning to appreciate what you have.
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Cyndi Lorenc
Cyndi Lorenc marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Life of K Blog
Life of K Blog marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Donna Koch
Donna Koch marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Colin Leese
Colin Leese marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Megan Potts
Megan Potts marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Stacey Macneil
Stacey Macneil marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014