Start by marking “The Key to the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Key to the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #5)

The Key to the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard #5)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  1,807 ratings  ·  34 reviews
He felt a draft of cold air. Instinctively he put his arms around his body. Then he looked down at himself and got a shock. He was naked...His first instinct was to hid. he scrambled over the earth floor of the longhouse and ducked under the curtain. Beyond was deeper darkness, but he could make out a sort of room with a raised section against the wall. On this was a mount ...more
Published August 10th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published October 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Key to the Indian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Key to the Indian

The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid BanksHow to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas RockwellThe Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly ClearySideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis SacharThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Great Books For Third Grade Boys
47th out of 225 books — 93 voters
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery WilliamsThe Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamilloThe Magic City by E. NesbitThe Doll People by Ann M. MartinThe Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
Magical Toys
30th out of 93 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Tarissa
The Key to the Indian is the end to a fantastic book series! I don't usually read the fantasy genre, but this is one series I'm glad to have expanded my literary horizons with.

The final book ends with Omri attempting to achieve his most challenging adventure yet -- taking multiple people back in time to visit the Mohawk Indians and save his "toy" friend, Little Bear's, tribe.

I'm so impressed with how the author brought Omri's parents into the adventure. Most books written for children try to sho
Kimbolimbo
I am so glad this series came to an end, not because they were poorly written or I was tired of the adventure but because I was ready to move on to another author and had there been more books I'd keep reading them.

My question from this book: was the author trying to get the readers to rethink their belief in God? Made me think of a quote from Nacho Libre "I don't believe in God, I only believe in Science" because my nephew just made me watch it with him. In the story, God was something to make
Mary-Jane
This book and the one previous to it in the series were not as good as the first three; the first three books capture the interest of a child as toy plastic Indians and cowboys come alive from different time periods in history.

I would not suggest this as a children's book as it covers difficult topics of suicide and rape and it features an "Indian" massacre at the hands of white settlers. While these events have happened in history, conveying this information to children requires sensitivity.

W
Gale
THE LEGACY OF THE LONGHOUSE

Will this be the ultimate Going Back adventure for Omri, the brave and clever boy who discovered the secret of the Indian--and a special cupboard? There is a twist this time, however, as Omri's father is in on the secret and the action. But Time Travel is hazardous even for adults; there are serious dangerss both to the travelers and those they visit in the Past.

Little Bear's people are threatened with annihilation by American colonists; can 20th century British alli
Colleen
A friend of mine recently said that after finishing a series, she wasn't ready to start another new book because it would be "rebound." We laughed but after finishing this series, I feel the same.

While not on par with the fourth book, this final tale was fantastic in its own right. It was clear early on though that the author was determined to end the tale once and for all. It made reading it bittersweet but it was well executed. She clearly did her research on the Mohawk tribe and managed to de
Luciano
The book is the sequel to the Mystery of the Cupboard. In this story the father of Omri, the lead character in all the Cupboard stories, finds out the secret of the Cupboard and gets involved in an adventure to help out Little Bear and his tribe of Iroquois Indians.

Rather than presenting the Indians as Western Movie Caricatures, the author made it a point to really understand the Iroquios culture as the discriptions of their villages, how they dressed and their culture is realistically discribed
Caleb
Omri's dad had just found out about the magic cupboard in the last book and this picks up right where that left off. Little Bear's tribe is in trouble and he needs Omri and his dad to help. Omri wants to help, but is not quite sure how to. Meanwhile his dad becomes obsessed with the idea of helping out. Also his brother starts to get a little suspicious of everything happening, but Omri doesn't want anything to affect their friendship. Especially now that he is working with his father, it is als ...more
David
The Key to the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard #5) by Lynne Reid Banks (Harper Trophy 1998)(Fiction). Omri and his rather must both travel to Little Bear's world to try to save his friend. My rating; 4/10, finished 3/10/14.
Caleb
i liked it a lot it was good!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heidi
This final novel in the Indian in the Cupboard series was a bit better than the previous entry. The action at least includes Little Bear and a tiny bit of Boone, both sorely lacking in book #4. I still think the language/situations were too mature and too advanced for most 9-year-olds and better suited to a pre-teen or YA reader. I stand by my earlier assessment that this series should have stopped with #3 and most readers should too.
Kim
I wasn't planning on finishing this series, mainly because books 3 and 4 let me down so much. However, I'm glad I did. There was much more character involvement in the final instalment, Although not enough of Boone if you ask me! I still stick by my statement that all 5 really aren't necessary, however Little Bull and co will always remain in my childhood memories, and I'm glad I had them!
Karen
Sep 02, 2013 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Indian in the Cupboard Lovers
Recommended to Karen by: My children
Shelves: read-aloud
This one had more history than some of the others. It is more violent - the main characters are put in history themselves, in times of war. I like it for the history, but more for the great examples of courage for right - protecting family at the cost of personal life. The main character struggles with what he wants versus what is right - a great conversation to have with kids!
Nikki
Read only in the interests of completion.

So flippin' convoluted and fantastical -- and yes, yes, I know, fantasy, but from the simple beginnings of the first book, this stretches a decent idea much too far.

(And that's without even speaking about the stereotypes and racism, etc.)
Allanna
It's the conclusion to the Indian in the Cupboard series.

I had forgotten that I really had read it a few years ago.
It was good ... but it's definitely not my favorite of the series (That would be The Mystery of the Cupboard).
Patty
Somehow the author makes something so unbelievable believable. I enjoyed the characters, the plots, and the brief visits to a world where plastic figures can bring people from another time. I'm glad I read the whole series.
Better than some of the books, but not nearly as good at the first one. It was interesting to have Omri's father in on the secret. A nice end to the series, although it sometimes took too long to get to the point.
Heidi
A very good conclusion to a classic series. I wish I would have read these books when I was younger. I recommend it for the young, and the young at heart.
Annamarie
I did like the relationship of the boy and his father, and how they experienced the adventure together. It's nice to see parents portrayed as good guys in children's literature.
Jade
Lynne Reid Banks is such an amazing author. I fell in love with this book and the other four Indian in the Cupboard books. I really recommend this book.
lionlady
One of those series I just might read again :-) And I don't like reading books twice. Totally enjoyed this.
Kirstie
Part of one of my favourite series, this really got me into reading when I was younger
Alan Shen
Then his fucking dad gets involved and they time travel together. It's wild.
Diana Sandberg
Excellent. These characters grow and deepen with each book. Very fine.
Gab Rose
I read this in like, 4th grade. I don't actually remember what it was about. :/
Marianne
This last book of the Indian in the cupboard series is full of exitment!
Bethony Clarke
I still own a copy of this book. It was a great book and fun to read.
Catherine Woodman
Fabulous series--takes you to another place that is fantastic
Jul 26, 2011 Laura added it
it was so creepy how omri's dad was in that doll with no face
Jodie
The entire series was marvelous and this book was the best of all.
Joey, about to e-x-p-l-o-d-e.
A GREAT book, I want you all to read this series!!
  • The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)
  • Paddington Treasury
  • Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2)
  • Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)
  • Special Gifts (Cobble Street Cousins #3)
  • The Book of the Maidservant
  • Knots on a Counting Rope
  • Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #5)
  • The Big Big Big Book of Tashi (Tashi, #1-7)
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
  • The King's Equal
  • Wonder's Yearling (Thoroughbred, #6)
  • At Home in North Branch
Lynne Reid Banks is a British author of books for children and adults. She has written forty books, including the best-selling children's novel The Indian in the Cupboard, which has sold over 10 million copies and been made into a film.
Banks was born in London, the only child of James and Muriel Reid Banks. She was evacuated to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada during World War II but returned after
More about Lynne Reid Banks...

The Indian in the Cupboard (5 books)
  • The Indian in the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #1)
  • The Return of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #2)
  • The Secret of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #4)
The Indian in the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #1) The Return of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #2) The Secret of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #3) The Mystery of the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #4) The Fairy Rebel