Start by marking “Evernote Essentials” as Want to Read:
Evernote Essentials

Evernote Essentials

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  385 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
The amount of information we want and need to keep track of today is, frankly, ridiculous. Not long ago, my desk was covered with piles of financial statements, medical records, automotive service receipts — and that didn’t even include everything dealing with my job. We all struggle to keep our information organized and accessible, but without the right tool for the job, ...more
2.0, 95 pages
Published September 2nd 2014 by Brett Kelly Media, Inc. (first published September 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Evernote Essentials, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evernote Essentials

Bojan Đorđević
Jan 25, 2013 Bojan Đorđević rated it it was ok
For 25$ there could be a lot more value added. Luckily there is a money back guarantee, so if you don't find it worth your money and time, ask for a refund.

This book seems like an absolute starting point for complete Evernote beginners. if you've been using Evernote for some time, you won't extract too much value from this book.

If you want my in-depth opinion on it, you can find it here: http://alphaefficiency.com/review-eve...
Arthur Cravan
Jan 19, 2014 Arthur Cravan rated it it was ok
Shelves: d2m
This is some pretty basic stuff. Still looking for a 'rip the hood off of Evernote' book, if such a thing exists (or maybe I'm just overthinking Evernote).
Autumn Shuler
Note: I have absolutely zero affiliation with Brett Kelly - this gushing is genuine.

I picked up Evernote Essentials after reading about it on a blog. I've used Evernote casually for a little while now, but I've always felt there was a lot more it could offer me, and I was simply too overwhelmed by the possibilities to make the best use of it.

That being said, a decent chunk of the book was simply review for me. However, the new information that it gave me was well worth the price of the book (wh
John
Jun 05, 2014 John rated it liked it
While there was some good material in this book, I felt that it was way too light to be useful. The education level it's written for is junior high, and there are a lot of 'fluff' sentences included that try to set a conversational tone for this technical material.

My needs are for a much more technical, in-depth book that I feel need to read and re-read to digest all of the information. This book is like an outline of the book that it should have been. I hope that Brett makes a more solid book
Ayeshah
Jan 05, 2015 Ayeshah rated it it was amazing
I LOVE EVERNOTE! It makes my life as a grad student so much easier! I loved it the moment I knew that I can search text in images! (I actually teared up when I found out such a thing is possible!!!!!) This book is a great intro to Evernote, but I've been using the good green elephant for a year & I learned many great tips from this book..
Kalyn
I bought this book based on the recommendation of another blogger, but I can't say I was overly wowed by it, especially for the $12.99 Kindle price. But I did like the way the author broke down the many uses of Evernote {I think I'm still a bit confused with the search function capabilities though}, and the case studies/examples he provided at the end were very helpful. Definitely got me into organizing my Evernote a bit more strategically, for sure.
Blaine Moore
This book provides an excellent overview of Evernote, and if you have no experience with it or have only used it casually this book can be a great resource. That said, there was very little "new" information for me personally having used Evernote for a while and having read a few tutorials from folks about how they use Evernote. You'll also need to be ready for a relatively repetitive attempt at humor throughout the book that grew old pretty quickly.
Peter
Oct 04, 2015 Peter rated it really liked it
First, I should say that I find Evernote to be one of the most useful pieces of productivity software that I have ever used, and it is becoming central to the way I collect and file information and also plan and manage projects and tasks. I found this to be very well organized and thorough guide to using Evernote. Apparently, Evernote was so impressed by the book that they hired him to work for their company! It is great for beginner and intermediates. I consider myself to be an intermediate-adv ...more
Dara Saoyuth
Mar 23, 2016 Dara Saoyuth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Must say it is a good book to help you remember everything so that you could have a clear head for real work.
Sara Brandt
Mar 23, 2016 Sara Brandt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Brett Kelly ist mittlerweile eine Berühmtheit, zumindest in kleineren Kreisen. Das erste Mal las ich von ihm im „The 100 Startup“ von Chris Guillebeau (Dazu folgt später auch noch eine Rezension). Nach einem finanziellen Rückschlag hat Brett dieses Ebook entwickelt, was ein voller Erfolg wurde- und nun arbeitet er selbst für Evernote.

Doch genug der Vorgeschichte, kommen wir zu der Rezension.

Die gute Nachricht vorab: „Evernote Essentials“ ist tatsächlich ein Rundumschlag. Egal, ob ihr einen Mac o
Gabriel
Dec 29, 2013 Gabriel rated it it was amazing
Evernote is a great app, but it's overwhelming at first. For a long time I kept changing how I used it and how I organised my notes, never really sure I was doing it right. Twice I realised I had thrown so much crap into it and in such a haphazard way that it was just a digital junk drawer that I didn't want to open. And then I read this book. It clarified many things and helped me define a plan on how to best use Evernote. Now it's a key part of my digital life.

This book is 160 pages. It cover
Nola Redd
Jan 02, 2014 Nola Redd rated it liked it
This is a helpful book if you're just getting started with Evernote. I've been using the app for about a year, and found a few things that will be of help, as well as some ideas for usage.

Some of the explanations were very basic, or about extremely obvious features (to create a new note, click 'new note.' now add the title). The author also seemed very amused by his own sense of humor - one more sentence about cumin waffles and I was ready to smack him. Then there was the secret agent chapter.
Alan Williamson
May 03, 2015 Alan Williamson rated it did not like it
Evernote Essentials is a shallow, unfulfilling guide to Evernote. I use Evernote every day - it's a good service and an important part of organising my life - and I had hoped this guide would be a good reference for 'power users'. Let's face it: anyone buying a book about Evernote is almost certainly a power user, and so a book about the topic needs to go beyond a few help pages and Top Tips. But this book is a facile analysis, the most cursory of overviews of Evernote's functionality. The entir ...more
Sandeep
Sep 22, 2013 Sandeep rated it liked it
This is a must read for anyone who wants to make the most out of Evernote. Learning how to use Evernote on your computer or mobile device has done wonders for every task I need to accomplish because it allows me to take everything that it is out of my head and put it into one database where I can execute tasks on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.

This book will teach you everything you need to know about Evernote because it goes into detail about all of its features. I was able to incorporate t
Kitty
Apr 10, 2015 Kitty rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Okay, so the author has a silly sense of humor, and probably everything in the book can be found somewhere on the Internet... but I enjoyed being able to read all about Evernote from a book, and I liked that it was explained in a fun way. I'm not sure I'll ever be a "power user" - or that simply reading this book would make that possible - but as I'm a newbie to Evernote, it was a great place to start. And it did make me eager to give Evernote a real try.
Hom Sack
Jan 19, 2015 Hom Sack rated it it was amazing
I was actually satisfied with with using the outdated version of Evernote until it no longer works when I upgraded my computer. So, I was forced to use the latest version. Kelly's book was extremely helpful and clear about the new features and made me appreciate how useful they are. So, I have no regrets in being forced to make the change.
Brycep
Mar 01, 2014 Brycep rated it liked it
Learning how to use this little tool. Way too much geeky stuff in the middle chapters but gave me lots of new ideas on how to manage the massive amount of info I Ned to remember on a daily basis. If you use Evernote for business or personal reasons there's a lot to chew on.
Judith
Sep 01, 2014 Judith rated it really liked it
These are indeed the essentials. All relevant aspects are handled, in a writing style that I found quite enjoyable. Personally, I just love the use cases and the examples. I think I will refer to this book every so often, now that I am getting to know Evernote and working with it.
Shelly
May 16, 2015 Shelly rated it really liked it
I've been using Evernote for a few years but still found a couple tips and tricks. I really enjoyed the humor and down to earth writing style. Here's to hoping future me can find my notes, oh and keeping digital copies of all household manuals...genius!
Carla Jean
Aug 06, 2016 Carla Jean rated it it was ok
This is probably more useful for either an Evernote newbie or someone who isn't familiar with the organizational tools it offers, such as tagging.
Nick Cerda
May 14, 2014 Nick Cerda rated it really liked it
Good solid overview of Evernote. As a frequent user I wasn't sure I would learn much, but I did.
Tmac
Apr 08, 2015 Tmac rated it it was ok
Really nothing you can't find by surging the web, for free, for a few minutes.
Kevin Eagan
Apr 08, 2014 Kevin Eagan rated it liked it
Perfect guide for beginners and intermediate Evernote users.
Maurice Rubino
Mar 07, 2016 Maurice Rubino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evernote Reader Guidebook

The title says "for New Evernote Users" and while I certainly wish that I read this book when I was a new user, I strongly urge seasoned users to read the book. It will provide new ideas for what to include (I love the idea of creating a rolling history of your children or for those at my stage, your grandchildren) as well as tips regarding the organization and ultimately searching for the filed info. A quick read and a book that I know I will refer back to regularly.

Mau
Gianfranco Ruffini
May 20, 2016 Gianfranco Ruffini rated it did not like it
b-- bad
Brad Shockley
less than what I expected but good

I'm not a big fan of Kelly's off the cuff writing style, but there was solid content in his book for the beginning Evernote user. I had been using it for a while, so I was a little disappointed in not coming away with more in depth, power user info. It just seemed like the software should be capable of so much more. But that could be Evernote's fault not his. I'd still recommend it to anyone starting out.
Beth Lind
Sep 14, 2014 Beth Lind rated it liked it
I love Evernote but I struggled to finish this book about Evernote. There were great tips and some shortcuts I learned so I do think it was worth the time. There is not a day that goes by that I don't use something or add something in Evernote. I love the program and personally think I should be their poster child on how to better your life by using Evernote.

By the way, I did appreciate the humor the author used. Sarcastic and dry and right up my alley.
Nick Jordan
Very useful, but probably not worth the $24. Explore the program (not just on your phone, but desktop too) and read some blog posts and info on searches, and you'd be well off, but this collects it all.
Hung Tran
Dec 16, 2014 Hung Tran rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very verbose and badly organized. Most of the concepts in this book have been known for years: tag, stack, note, notebooks.

All practical use cases which the author mentioned are not appropriate for everyone and too difficult to apply.

I gave it one star as I found a interesting plugin, Clearly.

Do not recommend this book to experienced Evernote users or those who working in software-related fields as there are nothing new.
Mark
Jan 23, 2016 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have

I've used Evernote off and on for years, mainly off. The reason I think was my lack of desire to learn something new. I knew Evernote was a neat wiz-bang tool but how to use it effectively? Now I know!

I cannot recommend this book enough. It's got the right mix of practical application of using Evernote with just the right amount of how-to to make it work. All presented in a way that even I get it!
  • Work Smarter with Evernote
  • The Things of Earth: Treasuring God by Enjoying His Gifts
  • Paperless: A MacSparky Field Guide
  • Evernote for your Life: A Practical Guide for the Use of Evernote in Your Everyday Life
  • God Rest Ye Merry: Why Christmas Is the Foundation for Everything
  • What's Best Next: How the Gospel Transforms the Way You Get Things Done
  • What the Plus! Google+ for the Rest of Us
  • Master Getting Things Done the David Allen Way with Evernote: Your 7-Day GTD Immediate Action Plan
  • The Beauty Bible: The Ultimate Guide to Smart Beauty
  • From the Garden to the City: The Redeeming and Corrupting Power of Technology
  • The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success: Kick-start Your Business, Brand, and Job Search
  • A Brief Guide to World Domination
  • The Renegade Writer: A Totally Unconventional Guide to Freelance Writing Success
  • The Power of Story : Rewrite Your Destiny in Business and in Life
  • Evernote for Dummies
  • We Become What We Worship: A Biblical Theology of Idolatry
  • All Things Considered
  • Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »