Start by marking “The Leadership Pipeline: How to Build the Leadership-Powered Company” as Want to Read:
The Leadership Pipeline: How to Build the Leadership-Powered Company

The Leadership Pipeline: How to Build the Leadership-Powered Company

Together, these authors have more first-hand experience in leadership development and succession planning than you're likely to find anywhere else. And here, they show companies how to create a pipeline of talent that will continuously fill their leadership needs-needs they may not even yet realize. The Leadership Pipeline delivers a proven framework for priming future lea ...more
Published December 20th 2000 by Jossey-Bass (first published November 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Leadership Pipeline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Leadership Pipeline

Chris Munson
Feb 07, 2013 Chris Munson rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about "The Leadership Pipeline." On one side, I think this is a brilliant take on the different stages that leaders of all levels should step through in order to be their most effective. It also makes a compelling argument about what happens to companies that don't make sure their leaders are ready before they advance to the next level. The chapter on succession planning is highly valuable. On the other hand though...the ideas presented are too mechanical in nature. The tem ...more
Bridget
Apr 06, 2010 Bridget rated it really liked it
While somewhat dry, this book provides a useful explanation of how companies can cultivate and support leadership at all levels. While I'm not at the level where I would be designing such systems, it provided me with a solid understanding of what it takes to be a manager at different levels and what I should look out for in terms of leadership training in organizations I am thinking of joining.
Raman Ohri
Jul 01, 2015 Raman Ohri rated it did not like it
Shelves: work
The base idea of this book has merit - specify a framework for management careers in more specific terms around levels, expectations, and a path of progression from small team lead to CEO. Unfortunately it's written in the most boring way possible, paired with sweeping generalizations, a lack of specific examples, vague terminology, little or no reference to actual study data/evidence, shameless references to one of the authors consulting company materials, and a puzzling fascination with ecomme ...more
Anthony
Nov 29, 2013 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read it yet but accidentally hit the rating button!
Jeff Lampson
This seems to be more popular than "High Flyers" among the line managers I interact as evidenced by how often I see it in offices, at meetings, and generally in the field. I was first exposed to this model in 1998 and have been abel to successfully apply it in a variety of HR, TM, and Coaching projects. It focuses on six key leadership levels and the development opportunities for each:

-Managing self
-Managing others
-Managing Managers
-Functional Manager
-Business Manager
-Group Manager
-Enterprise Ma
Dewayne Griffin
Dec 31, 2015 Dewayne Griffin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had been referred to me by several mentors throughout my career. I read the executive summary (Get Abstract) on it few times as I was promoted into different assignments. I was recently selected for another assignment with additional responsibilities. Instead of just reading the executive summary I decided to read specifically the chapter for my new assignment. My review is based on this short focused read.

The premise of the book is focused on companies building an internal pipeline of
Michael
Aug 22, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it
The idea of a pipeline could be most helpful to corporate boards grappling with CEO succession. Applied properly the right people will ask the right questions at the right decision making levels.

Nothing is more disabling to a corporation than a CEO who can't parse time and concept appropriately. Met one who was so ill-placed that his weekly top team meetings lasted days simply because he hadn't evolved beyond the operational logic of the technician he was when he first joined the company. He'd
Hrishi
Oct 27, 2013 Hrishi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read books on management. If I do, I don't easily get swayed by them, and treat them with skepticism unless they make good horse sense. This one did. I first heard about it in a training course I was on, and then picked it up in audio book form.

The central thesis of this book is that there are a number of key role transitions managers must deal with over their career - from managing self to managing others, then to managing first line managers, to leading functions, groups, and e
David Kudlinski
Mar 01, 2013 David Kudlinski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a text for business management theory. It describes the various stages of one’s career moving up the management chain. Discipline is required by the company and the manager to develop specific leadership skills and perform specific duties in each of six levels of management. Top management is most responsible for developing long-term strategy. Coaching future leaders from inside the organization is also a major responsibility. Superstars shouldn’t be promoted too fast, not until the ...more
Romael
Aug 27, 2016 Romael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Empatia como palavra chave do lider
Ser acessível, fisico e emocionalmente
Desenvolver relacionamentos
Ser responsável pelo sucesso dos outros(subordinados)
Comunicação clara e sincera
Gestores de gestores tem que orientar, desejar e não fazer o trabalho
Action learning, aprender na prática, afeta a cognição e a emoção
Aborde imediatamente desempenho/comportamento inadequado
N se deve permitir que as pessoas façam só o que gostam e sim que façam o q é esperado delas.

Gestor de negócio( eu hj) o integra
Laurie
Mar 29, 2016 Laurie rated it it was amazing
This book was really helpful and insightful. I didn't read it cover to cover, but focused on the chapters that applied to me and where I fit into the pipeline. I agree with a lot of the advice that the author gives. I now have a set of skills that I'm working on to master in for my pipeline level. An enjoyable read.
Don
Jan 26, 2015 Don rated it liked it
Valuable information for the most part. Kind of dry. Common sense written down. Was re-reading the section on succession planning, not so valuable for public sector and dealing with the "gray tsunami" of retirees. Ex: high potential does not equal high performance...wow, welcome to the real world.
Shawn
Jun 27, 2014 Shawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a pastor who invests into people in the nonprofit sector, I found this to be a valuable resource. They were large sections that I found nontransferable as it spoke to business management positions in very large and complex organizations that often don't translate to a smaller organization. Some concepts were very focused on the organizational structures of a production focused company rather than a service organization. However there are some gold nuggets in it.

There are some great lessons l
Alex Mallet
Jan 15, 2015 Alex Mallet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting exploration of the change in responsibilities/expectations at different levels of a management hierarchy. The hierarchy and roles assumed are a bit different from the typical software engineering management chain, but it's still instructive.
Nathan
Nov 04, 2012 Nathan rated it really liked it
This is a great book for conveying the idea of different skills being required for success at the various levels of leadership within an organization. It is not enough to simply do more of what you did in the past to ensure continued success in the future. You often need to alter what you value as important - and therefore what you spend your time on - as you move upward through the corporate ladder. Much of the content of the book can be gleaned from the introduction and first chapter but the b ...more
Michael
Dec 23, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Michael by: Russ
Shelves: business
WOW! What more can I say. A great book that provides a path for any and all leaders and those that would like to become a leader. I will admit that at times I really struggled because it could be an indictment for many of the managers I work for and have worked with in the past. Oh how I wish that every leader/manager would read this book and find out their place on the leadership pipeline. Make the corrections if necessary and move forward. Then, let's start grooming those within the company. W ...more
Michael Fliorko
The clear model revealing requirements and challenges of different management positions (passages) from the bottom to top of an organization.
Alissa
Dec 10, 2015 Alissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
something to refer to again. A really interesting book with good information on leadership - wish it had a few more practical steps.
David Zerangue
Jun 17, 2012 David Zerangue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This is really a book with a lot of common sense that I feel would be quite eye-opening for those starting careers in the business world as well as those in more strategic positions. For the vast majority of corporate cogs, it is merely acceptable. The authors certainly have it painted correctly. The problem for me is that my aspirations for 'climb & conquer' have been replaced with 'retirement needs'.
For the young, it is beneficial in explaining why they should not expect the promotion 'tom
Bob Nardo
Sep 20, 2008 Bob Nardo rated it liked it
I read this, at the recommendation of a colleague, along with Grote's "Ultimate Guide to Performance Appraisal." This book was useful to my work as we thought about the particular management skills and time values we want to assess in different job functions. It's also pushing my thinking on what is possible to attain with a well developed internal pipeline. One minor limitation is that, while they give a bit of attention to nonprofit or small business settings, this book is more directed toward ...more
Reagan Ramsey
Feb 06, 2013 Reagan Ramsey rated it liked it
Shelves: business-books
definitely alot of GE methodology (and matrices) built in here, but great insights in to the pitfalls that leaders at each level fall in to. they highlight the fact that just because someone is great in one function doesn't mean they'll be great at the next. i love the emphasis on leadership development and coaching. it's amazing how many companies expect people to sink or swim without giving them any resources to succeed. and think of all that potential talent that could be realized with some g ...more
Ravi
Nov 14, 2015 Ravi added it
aa
Joy
Jan 23, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, 21c, career
I recommend this a lot to fellow managers. Charan talks about how employees rise in an organization, both their skills and values have to change, and what happens when they fail to transition, say, from being an individual contributor to being a manager.

The text itself can be dry and a bit of slog, but it's worth perservering--or selectively reading the chapter that applies to you. Reading the chapter that applies to your own manager/supervisor is pretty helpful, too.
Terence
Dec 11, 2015 Terence rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-read
This is an important book in regards to leadership development. Too frequently companies assume higher "high potentials" and getting out of the way, is all that is required. Empowering people is important but developing them is just as important.

The book was written for the masses, so it could be a lot shorter and still have covered the topic well.

Although they mention that this could be used for small business, this is really written for larger organizations.
Kamil Mysiak
Overall, the book does provide some insight into the leadership succession pipeline, differentiating among the tasks at various levels of positions within an organization. However, once you've graduated past the individual contributor/manager step the responsibilities become very convoluted and poorly described.
Emilie22
May 26, 2013 Emilie22 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't believe we do a good enough job understanding what it takes to recognize strong talent and appropriately moving people up the chain of command. This offers a sound approach and served as a helpful reminder of what needs to happen at each step in order to truly be successful.
Megan
Sep 11, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Great read for anyone working towards managerial promotions and/or developing their own employees. Applicable to different business models and sizes. Not necessarily a breakthrough model for leadership development, but a clear design to implement successful systems.
Sylwia
Oct 26, 2011 Sylwia rated it really liked it
At times I found relating certain leadership levels to the business challenging; however my greatest learnings came from the chapters towards the end. Especailly Succession Planning (The Matrix is a great tool), Potential Pipleline Failures and Coaching.
Jan
Sep 18, 2012 Jan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another interesting article that undortunately was unnecessarily stretched into a book. Very relevant if you work in GE, occasionally relevant for piccking up an idea or two if you happen to work in a less staid 20th century entity
Caroline Gordon
Jul 26, 2015 Caroline Gordon rated it really liked it
Unique perspective on the stages in career growth through management, the pitfalls of each and important stages in growth of your skill set at each point. Highly recommended.
  • The Deming Management Method
  • The Future of Management
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • Leading Up: How to Lead Your Boss So You Both Win
  • Leadership Jazz: The Essential Elements of a Great Leader
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • Force For Change: How Leadership Differs from Management
  • The Leadership Engine: How Winning Companies Build Leaders at Every Level
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • The Amazon Way: 14 Leadership Principles Behind the World's Most Disruptive Company
  • The Strategy-Focused Organization: How Balanced Scorecard Companies Thrive in the New Business Environment
  • Riding the Waves of Culture: Understanding Diversity in Global Business
  • Topgrading: How Leading Companies Win by Hiring, Coaching, and Keeping the Best People
  • Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results through Individual and Organizational Accountability
  • Good Business: Leadership, Flow, and the Making of Meaning
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization

“Maturity is a result of learning from success and from mistakes—in other words, learning from experience.” 1 likes
“In fact, to be successful as a first-time manager requires a major transition for which many people are not adequately prepared. Perhaps the most difficult aspect of this transition is that first-time managers are responsible for getting work done through others rather than on their own.” 1 likes