Start by marking “Silently Seduced: When Parents Make Their Children Partners” as Want to Read:
Silently Seduced: When Parents Make Their Children Partners

Silently Seduced: When Parents Make Their Children Partners

Did you have a parent whose love for you felt more confining than freeing, more demanding than giving, more instrusive than nurturing? Did you feel trapped in a "psychological marriage" with this parent? If so, you may be a victim of covert incest.

Identification of this kind of incest is difficult, since covert incest victimrs often feel idealized and privileged, not viol

Published September 1st 2011 by Health Communications (first published April 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Silently Seduced, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silently Seduced

Nikmaack
Nov 16, 2015 Nikmaack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book THE TRUTH made reference to this book. So I ordered it. Because my issues are in here. I could tell, just based on The Game and it's description of this text.

I have been in therapy a long time. A lot of the issues described in this brief text are issues I have struggled with. It is very creepy to see all my problems laid out so neatly. All those problems become so many beads on a string.

It's a deceptively simple book with a simple thesis: when your opposite sex parent treats you like a
Alex Houseknecht
Aug 15, 2016 Alex Houseknecht rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, own
This is a great book both for practitioners and those who are survivors of cover incest. Adams does a great job of differentiating between overt and covert incest, and boldly asserts that covert incest can be as damaging as overt incest, regardless of whether there was physical contact. He points out that the importance lies in the sexually charged relationship between the parent and child. Adams also explains the particularities of male and female survivor experiences, using both theory and ill ...more
Hope
Aug 25, 2009 Hope rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book was suggested to me in a forum for Adult Survivors of Child Abuse. The author seems more familiar with male victims of covert incest, and tends to focus on victims dealing with addictions. It's also a very short work - more an overview of what covert incest is than a thorough examination of it. That all being said, it is a good, basic overview. I'm neither male, nor dealing with an active addiction, but still saw myself in this book. That it's a short work becomes an advantage - a vict
Sara
Sep 06, 2015 Sara rated it liked it
I purchased this book to use clinically, however found it personally enlightening as well. It is fairly simple to read, but the message belies the book's easy readability.

The book focuses on covert incest, as the title suggests, and will probably not be very beneficial for overt incest survivors seeking answers. A client of mine borrowed the book and reported that little pertained to her. This does not mean, however that the parent-child dynamics involved in covert incest can't also exist in a
Carol
May 04, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
Covert Incest - when a parent puts their emotional needs above that of their children...pretty powerful language and the relational outcomes are profound well into the child's adult years. This book is for anyone who has been in an enmeshed relationship with a parent.
Shayna Marks
Feb 23, 2016 Shayna Marks rated it really liked it
Adams explores the topic of covert incest within families in an informative and professional way. Using anecdotes Adams offers examples as well as the problems that arise when a child suffers from covert incest.

Great book about a little known topic.
Christine Jackson
Jul 11, 2012 Christine Jackson rated it really liked it
An interesting look at the distorted relationship with parents who use their children for emotional needs.
Melissa
Aug 24, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
Update/Revised Review:

I originally gave this book 2 stars. I revise my rating to 4 stars. Most of my issues are with the writing itself, not the underlying content. For example, I found some of the repetitious language in the personal stories distracting. How many different people really use the word "icky?" Clearly the wording was chosen by the author, but it made the stories less individual-feeling.

Original review is below this revised version. I contacted the publisher about the flawed produc
Satish
Read this before you get married

Most of us think we had happy childhoods and everything that was happening around us is usual and normal. This book is highly recommended for people to recognize dysfunction in their families and how that shows up in adult lives.
Vanessa
Nov 07, 2012 Vanessa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Little information. But a practical guide to help people to see the symptoms and realize that they are not alone, to be able to take a step and unpluge the damage.
erin
Sep 14, 2007 erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
an interesting theory and a definite twist on the codependent model.
Marlene
Aug 17, 2016 Marlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good book but I feel it has only explained the surface. Maybe there's not much else to say about this issue. I don't know much about it to have a full opinion, and I thought Silently Seduced was going to lessen my lack of knowledge on this topic. It did, but not as much as I hoped for.
Archit Chandra
Archit Chandra marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Nyk Orion
Nyk Orion rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Vic Thomas
Vic Thomas rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Ariel Chesed Kestenbaum
Ariel Chesed Kestenbaum marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Sónia
Sónia marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2016
Sharad Jhunjhunwala
Sharad Jhunjhunwala marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Jef
Jef marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Darlene Zimmerman
Darlene Zimmerman marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Lynn Gordner
Lynn Gordner marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
ryan davis
ryan davis is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2016
Johnny Szeto
Johnny Szeto rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Sthan
Sthan marked it as to-read
Beth Moffett
Beth Moffett marked it as to-read
Sotiris Andrew
Sotiris Andrew rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Emotional Incest Syndrome: What to do When a Parent's Love Rules Your Life
  • Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research
  • Evaluation: A Systematic Approach
  • Handbook of Clinical Psychopharmacology for Therapists
  • Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory
  • Educational Research: An Introduction
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Type Talk at Work: How the 16 Personality Types Determine Your Success on the Job
  • Practical Research: Planning and Design
  • Writing Ethnographic Fieldnotes
  • Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (Introducing Statistical Methods)
  • Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice
  • Case Study Research: Design and Methods (Applied Social Research Methods)
  • Buzzed: The Straight Facts about the Most Used & Abused Drugs from Alcohol to Ecstasy
  • KATE GOSSELIN: How She Fooled the World
  • Transforming Trauma: A Guide to Understanding and Treating Adult Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • The Power of Positive Confrontation: The Skills You Need to Know to Handle Conflicts at Work, at Home and in Life
  • The Narcissistic Family: Diagnosis and Treatment