Scapegoat: A History of Blaming Other People

Scapegoat: A History of Blaming Other People

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  11 reviews
We may have come a long way from the days when a goat as a symbol was saddled with all the iniquities of the children of Israel and driven into the wilderness, but is our desperate need to find some organization or person to pin the blame on and absolve ourselves of responsibility really any more advanced?

Charlie Campbell highlights the plight of all those others who have...more
Published February 2nd 2012 by Overlook Hardcover (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Scapegoat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scapegoat

Stella
A interesting collection of historical anecdotes I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys odd historical facts. While students of American history will likely already be familiar with at least some of the material (it'll be no surprise to know the infamous Salem witch trails are included) each example the author gives is covered fairly quickly so old material soon leads on to something new that you likely did not know. Even with all that though the book lost a star over.. well, it's hard to pinpoint a...more
V
Nov 29, 2012 V rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: z2012
An interesting and- considering the subject- relatively light read. Some chapters seemed to end abruptly... I thought there was considerably more to be said on some of those topics. Also, some chapters were more interesting than others- I really enjoyed the one about witchcraft and the one about scapegoating animals was hilarious, but I found my mind wandering during some of the more abstract sections.
Steve
Well worth reading. A lot of history on a topic were all guity of "blaming others". Putting pigs on trial, excommunicating horses, snakes grasshoppers anything living or dead that crossed the church or state.
The economics of hunting witches at 20 shillings a conviction no wonder they had so many victims and lot more triva on why the good old days were lousy.....
Burcu
Kiliseyi hristiyanligin bas otoritesi olarak gormeyi reddeden, incilin cevirmeni -bence bir nevi kahraman- olan Tyndale'i astirmak icin elinden geleni yapan unlu Ütopya'nin yazari Thomas More'un protestan krali klisenin basi olarak kabul etmemesi sonucu asilmasi... Boyle ilahi adalet simgeleri icinde yasadigimiz bu ilahi komedyayi serinletiyor dogrusu.
Tara
An interesting scholarly read revealing some history of the church and of ancient times I did not know. Towards the end, though, I grew tired of the dryness of the material. The author is somewhat humorous, so that helps. No big new conclusions drawn, however, IMHO.
Richard Pierce
Well-written, consummately interesting and truthful, this should be required reading for history and philosophy pupils.
Faye
I found it to be interesting but the chapters seemed to short to me, i feel more information could have been added.
Jill393
Interesting look at society... got a little tedious towards the end.
Shana Dennis
Good read, just wish some of the chapters were longer.
Patrice Tyler
Jun 21, 2012 Patrice Tyler added it
Recommends it for: No One
Recommended to Patrice by: No One
BOO!
Christi
Christi marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Florence Allizon-millet
Florence Allizon-millet is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2014
Nicola Stratford
Nicola Stratford marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Joanna Begg
Joanna Begg marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Hayley Dyer
Hayley Dyer marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Randa
Randa marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Marvin E
Marvin E marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Jonathan Jones
Jonathan Jones marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Pedro
Pedro marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Ufuk Atas
Ufuk Atas marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Authors XI: A Season of English Cricket from Hackney to Hambledon Scapegoat Ensene y Predique La Palabra de Dios: Pasos Practicos y Sugerencias Sabias Para Sembrar La Palabra de Dios Jacks and Hats (First of Many) Evidencia Arqueologica de la Biblia

“The one thing we will not do under any circumstances is accept ourselves as we are. We prefer to find an explanation for why things are not perfect, and these rarely stand up to close scrutiny.” 2 likes
“What starts as satire is so often reborn as propaganda...” 1 likes