Start by marking “How Much Land Does a Man Need? and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
How Much Land Does a Man Need? and Other Stories

How Much Land Does a Man Need? and Other Stories

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,012 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Containing several of his well-known later short stories, this volume also includes tales from Tolstoy's early years in the Russian Army, a time of his life when he was already exploring the profound moral questions of war, love, and courage.

A few, such as "Where Love Is, God Is" and "What Men Live By", have had such a deep impact on our communities that we have performed

Published March 1st 1994 by Penguin Classics (first published 1886)

To ask other readers questions about How Much Land Does a Man Need? and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Much Land Does a Man Need? and Other Stories

Sanjay Gautam
If you're thinking to read a short story then read this one. It will be the finest short story you are ever going to read.

James Joyce wrote to his daughter that it is "the greatest story that the literature of the world knows".

Its a story to be read at least Once In a Lifetime!

Truly a masterpiece! A timeless story.

Travelling Sunny
GREED.

The grass is always greener on the other side. The other side of what? The other side of this guy's property line. The protagonist of this story is a landowner. But, he feels cramped and sees that his neighbors have more land than he does.
GREED
So he buys more land and is happy for awhile. But then he hears about this other place where he can get more land for less money.
GREED
So he sells his land, moves, and buys more land. Happy now? Nope. Now he hears about this OTHER place where he can g
Michelle
I think I would have liked this a lot more if the intended audience had been different. This is one of the short stories Tolstoy wrote for peasants to learn literacy from. A story about a peasant that is never satisfied with the land he has, always wanting more and better. What does it mean for someone of Tolstoy's wealthy background to write stories for peasants about how they should not be greedy and want more than they have? Sure, greed is a universal human tendency, but I just couldn't get o ...more
Ismael Serna H.
Que mágico relato. Moderno. Transparente. Una prosa sin excesos y una historia que nos hace cuestionar nuestras propias aspiraciones y preguntarnos: ¿Cuánto necesitamos para ser felices?
Joana Doko
What man live by, I think it's the most beautiful short story ever written. I absolutely loved this book. So much philosophy, so much wisdom in it. I have always known Leo Tolstoy is a great writer, but this convinced me even more.
Kennedy Ifeh
The book is 519 words yet its meaning can span a 1000 pg novel. The plot is about a man who is told to walk on a vast expense of land, the amount he walks will be given to him. The condition was that he returns to the point of departure. Out of greed he walks and covers a vast land mass. Getting to the point of depature, he suddenly falls and dies. The elders dug a six foot grave and buries him there, "exactly the amount of land a man needs". Five star for 519 words!!!
Ken Moten
My last book before I plunge myself back into The Brothers Karamazov and I chose this one. It was a very good short story that is a morality tale but is not anvilicious. The last words in this story are truer now than when Tolstoy wrote them. Well, back to Dostoevsky!
Whitney
Tolstoy has amazing powers of description, as seen in all of these short stories. I loved the morals taught in the stories Where Love Is, God Is, The Two Old Men, What Men Live By, and all the others. Good reminders of what is really important in life.
Diana (Reflejos)
Tardé 25 minutos en leer este pequeño relato. La historia me devolvió algunos recuerdos, como cuando mis abuelos luchaban por poseer sus tierras. Un mensaje muy sublime. Además, me apetecía leer algo cortito de este genio.
Ian Roditi
Pues yo digo que un hombre no necesita más tierra que la que tiene en su corazón. Ahí donde ha amado, donde ha querido y donde ha sido feliz. Ahí se vuelve.

Lo demás es avaricia.
Josephine
Luckness Rabbit
Escogí este libro motivada por la curiosidad que me había despertado desde hacia tiempo el nombre de Tolstoy. Tenía muchísimas ganas de leer a uno de los grandes literatos rusos y que mejor ocasión que comenzar con un relato breve que versa sobre un tema tan en boga hoy en día: la avaricia del ser humano, el ansía de poseer más y más y nunca quedar satisfecho.

La historia se centra en la obsesión de Pajom un campesino ruso, por conseguir más y más tierra con el objetivo de poder vivir holgadament
Andrea Ika
Kali ini saya kepincut sama buku tipis kumpulan cerita pendek, yang ditulis oleh Leo Tolstoy. Buku ini diberi judul Tiga Pertapa. Bukunya berisi tiga cerita: "Berapa Banyak Tanah yang Diperlukan Orang?", "Tiga Pertapa", dan "Pengasingan yang Panjang".Dari ketiga cerita yang ada di buku ini, saya paling suka sama cerita pertama, yaitu "Berapa Banyak Tanah yang Diperlukan Orang?". Secara (super) singkat, cerita ini berkisah tentang seorang petani bernama Pahom, yang tadinya hidup sederhana tapi ke ...more
Mita
Apr 02, 2008 Mita rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sapa aja dah...
I've read this book quite long time ago actually...

But then suddenly i kinda miss it n' decided to read it again

Awalnya gw lagi sebel banget, sepanjang perjalanan gw lihat begitu banyak bangunan, pembangunan, plang2 iklan yang menjamur dimana2. Semua orang ingin memiliki tanah yang seluas2nya, ingin memiliki properti yang sebanyak2nya. Tapi disisi lain gw juga lihat banyak banget orang yang tidak punya tanah sama sekali...

Gw berpikir "kayanya gak akan pernah ada cukup tanah bagi semua orang", na
Micha
Teaches you that you don't need to have much. You have to be happy with the little you can have/get.How Much Land Does a Man Need? and Other StoriesLeo Tolstoy
Realini
How much land does a man need

I have been a fan of short stories for a long time. Most of all I loved Maugham’s short stories. Sick with ulcers, I had to spend time in a hospital and Maugham provided me with an excellent treatment.

We all know about War and Peace and Anna Karenina (the book, not the recently released film). I was surprised to find Tolstoy on the list of 100 best books ever, with the above mentioned masterpieces, but with his short stories also.

I started reading them and found the
David Plácido
"Um dia de dor, uma vida de amor. O sol não espera por ninguém e cada vez ia mais baixo. Oxalá não tenha querido demais! Se depois de ter corrido tudo isto, parasse agora, chamavam-me doido."
Mani Attico
Me esperaba algo un poco más interesante o que te dejara dándole vueltas a la cabeza, pero es un poco plano y predecible. Alguna recomendación de este tipo de historia corta?
Cátia
"O criado pegou na pá, fez uma cova em que coubesse Pahóm e meteu-o dentro; sete palmos de terra: não precisa de mais"
Rubén
La sensación de que es más de lo que aparenta a simple vista.
Reid
Amy and I also read and discussed this book while driving back from a "Generous Giving" Conference. The Trinity Forum published this edition and the questions pointed directly to the theme of the conference: a person can gain the whole world and lose his life.

The questions caused us to discuss the place of greed and consumerism in our lives. Our growing commitment to the Lord and to each other is to a better steward of the 'talents' that He has given us and not to spend our 'assets' on ourselve
Ahmet Uçar
What a story of avarice.
La pointe de la sauce
Tolstoy stands miles apart from any other writter in his ability to tell a story about absolutely anything without losing the true essence of human character and our insatiable hunger for more. It is incredible how one can relate to a farmers desire for more land, it is the natural hunger to be better that the devil figure capitalizes on. There is another silent moral in these stories which is that poor people can be as corrupt as the rich if given the opportunity and that no one is infalliable.
Oscar Salas
eficiente, aunque algo desvencijada adaptación del cuento de Tolstoi, cuyo mayor valor está en privilegiar el tono de fábula amenizado por otros relatos del mismo autor. El dibujo es correcto, aunque especialmente inexpresivo, lo cual puede ser tanto una opción funcional al relato de Miguel Ángel Diez, pero que al menos a este lector no convenció. Un placer, eso si, recordar la magnífica historia de La Camisa del Hombre Feliz, un favorito de la infancia injustamente olvidado.
ina
Diantara semua karya-karyanya, saya paling suka ini, "How Much Land Does a Man Need". Karya terbaik Tolstoy. Penulis yang hebat itu, bisa menyampaikan gagasannya tanpa kenal masa. Gagasan Tolstoy tentang nafsu memperkaya diri masih relevan kok di jaman sekarang. Sebanyak apa pun yang kita inginkan atau merasa kita butuhkan, toh pada akhirnya hanya sepetak tanah seukuran tubuh :)
Cristina Valdez
Excelente libro! Breve, conciso, con mensaje.
  • The Shooting Party
  • پرتره
  • Twenty-Six Men and a Girl and Other Stories
  • Dubrovsky and Egyptian Nights
  • The Grand Inquisitor
  • Russian Magic Tales from Pushkin to Platonov (Penguin Classics)
  • Der arme Spielmann
  • Some Words With a Mummy
  • Rudin a Romance and a King Lear of the Steppes
  • Happy Moscow
  • Marie Grubbe
  • The Noise of Time: Selected Prose
  • Yama: The Pit
  • Cursed Days: Diary of a Revolution
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Russian: Лев Николаевич Толстой; commonly Leo Tolstoy in Anglophone countries) was a Russian writer who primarily wrote novels and short stories. Later in life, he also wrote plays and essays. His two most famous works, the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina, are acknowledged as two of the greatest novels of all time and a pinnacle of realist fiction. Many consider To ...more
More about Leo Tolstoy...
Anna Karenina War and Peace The Death of Ivan Ilych The Kreutzer Sonata Resurrection

“The further one goes, the better the land seems. ” 5 likes
“The worker picked up Pakhom’s spade, dug a grave, and buried him - six feet from head to heel, exactly the amount of land a man needs.” 3 likes